Sarah Palin's Alaska

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

544 replies to this topic

nate263

nate263

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 5:37 PM

I could not find a topic for this so I decided to create one since it starts this Sunday.

Here's the description from the website:

Sarah Palin's Alaska is a new documentary series that takes viewers into the country's 'final frontier' through the eyes of one of its most famous citizens - Sarah Palin.
In each episode, Sarah is joined by various family members as she shares the state she knows and loves - from salmon fishing in Bristol Bay to hiking along one of our country's most breathtaking glaciers. Along with Alaska's great wilderness, the Palins encounter Alaska's fascinating residents and share what its takes to thrive in the country's largest state.

From what I have read, she has pretty tight reins over the editing of the show so we probably won't be seeing anything that would be too embarrassing or juicy I'm guessing.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 6:48 PM

I've always been fascinated by Alaska, but have never been there. I also have a daughter with Down syndrome, so there are reasons for me to watch. I'll probably DVD it so I can check it out.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 6:49 PM

What’s on topic in this thread?
  • Things you saw on the show.
What’s not on topic here?
  • Politics
  • Bristol's appearance on DWTS
  • Politics
  • Your personal judgements about Palin's fame/family/career
  • Politics
  • Posting to tell us that you're not going to watch.
  • Politics.
In other words, this isn’t a thread to snark on Palin at will. Please take extra care to follow the rules of the board and the special rules for this thread. If you don’t pay attention to the rules, and treat this as a general thread given to you to bash or praise Palin or your fellow posters, you will be warned. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 10, 2010 @ 9:38 PM.

Joan Van Snark

Joan Van Snark

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 8:21 PM

God, I have seen the commercials for this SO many times: "NOOOOO BOYS go upstairs!" A little late for that Palin. I smell a trainwreck.

sleekandchic

sleekandchic

Fanatic

• Interests:Child welfare and social reform

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 9:26 PM

The ubiquitous preview/promo that's running for Sarah Palin's Alaska has driven me over the river and through the woods! In my opinion, TPTB at Discovery/TLC have squandered an opportunity to entice viewers to this show. Instead, the same preview is run constantly, not only on Discovery channels like TLC and Discovery ID and Discovery Health, but, also, on cable channels like Oxygen and the Style network and BRAVO. Really, for me, it's a counterproductive move because all the little things that potentially annoy me about the show and its principals get magnified a thousand times once I've seen the same crap ten times a day. Why the network execs didn't create a couple of different promos to rotate is beyond my comprehension. Mix it up, boys and girls!

Alaska's beauty is legendary, and what is shown on the previews for the actual show does drive that beauty home. Landscapes, wild animals, water and snow sports -- all of it is inspiring. I can do without Gov Palin's melodramatic and, IMO, disingenuous proclamation that she'd rather be in the great Alaskan outdoors than in "any old stuffy political office." It seems almost like she's shooting herself in the foot, especially when she declares, "I'd rather be here, bein FREE!"

camom, our teen brother was born with Down's, and from what I could see on the Palin promo, her youngest is very representative of Down's babies and kids. Mrs P holds her son in her arms, and he's happy and smiling and animated and swatting her with affection. Down's kids are loving and adorable to the max. So happy! We're a sports-minded, athletic family, and I've been involved with Special Olympics for a while now because of my brother. It's a great networking resource for the kids and for the families, too; so I can recommend that organization to you. :) My brother excels there socially and athletically, and it's wonderful to see him so happy and alive!

I will watch this show with an open mind. I always try to be fair, no matter how hard that sometimes is.

snowbunny54

snowbunny54

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 9:51 PM

I said this the moment McCain chose Palin, the first episode of Deadliest Catch, and Ice Road Truckers - Oh rats, now the rest of the world will see how wonderful our Alaska is and they will want to come up. Now, this show. To everyone: we love visitors but please, please don't stay.

Ivy Mom

Ivy Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 10:05 AM

I also think they made a mistake by only having one promo for this show. And it isn't even all that good a promo. Bears, bloody fish, and 'no boys upstairs'? This is Alaska? Or is this a promo for Sarah Palin? Even if that's the case, the 'no boys upstairs' is a bit of a head scratcher. Are we not supposed to know or remember or care that it's a case of too little, too late?

The best button on the remote right now is the 'recall'...when this ad comes on, I push it and jump to another station. But because this is being run on lots of stations, I do take the risk of running into again. Thank goodness Say Yes to The Dress is on hiatus. The combo of bloody fish and bridal gowns would be too much!

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 10:20 AM

My favorite part is where she says she'd rather be there than any stuffy politician's office... Yes, finally something I agree with her on.

She sure has cute kids.

chailey

chailey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

My favorite part is where she says she'd rather be there than any stuffy politician's office... Yes, finally something I agree with her on.

Yes, I've been thinking that exact thought!

I find her whole way of speaking just grating, not only what she says but how she says it. However the scenery in the previews is gorgeous. I'm thinking that if I turn the sound off, it might be a great travel show.

spacefry

spacefry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 10:51 AM

I guess sometime last week TLC had the episode up on the site for just a bit and then took it down. A local writer for The Anchorage Daily News wrote a bit of a review. I will watch it but mostly because a friend is in the show and I am temporarily not in Alaska and I miss it. I will also watch with the sound down though , Sarah's voice just grates.

Edited by spacefry, Nov 11, 2010 @ 11:56 AM.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 11:07 AM

Sounds like politics are going to seen on the show, a lot. Interesting review.

I'm sure I'll be "hootin' and hollerin' at the TV.

Lord, Alaska is just beautiful.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 11:22 AM

I agree that there's a bit of oversaturation with the promos but it hasn't deterred me from wanting to watch.[snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 11, 2010 @ 11:35 PM.
Boards on boards

SparksFan59

SparksFan59

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 11:53 AM

There's no doubt that Alaska is gorgeous, so that would be the draw for me to watch. However, I find SP's voice to not only be grating but her whole persona seems affected, which makes it hard to watch. Of course there is the mute button. :)

mommyoffaith19

mommyoffaith19

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 12:15 PM

I feel the same way as many others. Funny how I come to twop and so many others think the exact same thing

Alaska is so interesting and I hope she doesn't ruin the show. Her voice is so grating. She comes off sooo fake, and so over the top. I really wonder if that's just how she is/talks all the time, or only when a camera is around. Because if that is just really how she is, that's one thing. If it's all fake and for show, well that's another.

I don't understand the promo either. I'm sure they could have put something better together. It's just weird. And the phrases that she says just make me want to break out with gosh darnit, you betcha in my best palin impersonation.

spacefry

spacefry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 12:35 PM

I don't know about her phrases and colloquialisms but her voice has always sounded like that. Since she was mayor of Wasilla she has a had a weird kinda Canadian accent that no one else around the area has.
I am sorry if I offended any Canadians there is no offense intended.

snowbunny54

snowbunny54

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 9:56 PM

Yep, she certainly does talk that way and say such phrases! Yes, I lived in Wasilla during her mayorship and gov. test drive. Money, fame, and celebrity did her in.

I hope the show doesn't make everyone think we all hop in a floatplane on a whim or climb Denali for the afternoon. At the very least floatplane trips require a reservation and planning. For Denali, most folks plan a year or more in advance, get permits, prepare by climbing lesser peaks, make reservations, test gear and supplies, the climb takes weeks to do, etc.

I live here and I think the idea of Mute is great! I am not watching the show for her and her family. I am watching it because I enjoy living here and it is fun to see our local places on tv! Alaska is such a huge state that it is also a good way for us to see places we may never get to.

Ivy Mom

Ivy Mom

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

Slate.com has a review of the first show up. Says that Piper steals it away from Mom.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 12:54 AM

disingenuous proclamation that she'd rather be in the great Alaskan outdoors than in "any old stuffy political office." It seems almost like she's shooting herself in the foot, especially when she declares, "I'd rather be here, bein FREE!"

I noticed after some times of seeing it that recently that has been dropped from the promos.

wjcwm

wjcwm

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 12:59 AM

I noticed after some times of seeing it that recently that has been dropped from the promos.

Nope, just saw it.

CarolMK

CarolMK

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 12:25 PM

I'm looking forward to this show, am very curious about Alaska and their upcoming outdoor adventures, not so much the family stuff.
It's nice to see do something new, for once, a family that doesn't focus on multiples, dwarves, or cakes. I guess it helps that Sarah Palin was already famous, otherwise, there may not have been a show. I actually wouldn't mind TLC pursuing a project featuring a family in every state in the USA that would highlight the state's tourist attractions and other points of interest. TLC needs some new ideas.

GeorgiaRai

GeorgiaRai

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 7:58 AM

That first promo comes across as a "worst of" reel, and seeing it so many times had me changing the channel until it was over. Over the last couple days, though, there have been new spots & edited versions that make the show look a lot more appealing. I am neutral on Sarah's politics, and I'm not crazy, so far, about the forced commentary ("bein' free", etc.), but I enjoy the more spontaneous moments (i.e., when they're in the boat watching the bears nearby, or the "rock climber or rock star?") as well as the amazing landscape. I even liked the "no boys upstairs" scene and didn't find it disingenuous at all. Rules are made, sometimes they're broken, sometimes they are revisited & reinforced after lessons are learned the hard way. Been there, done that.

I think I'll give the show a try and see how it all plays out.

dad2two

dad2two

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 12:37 PM

Even if that's the case, the 'no boys upstairs' is a bit of a head scratcher. Are we not supposed to know or remember or care that it's a case of too little, too late?

Do you think that maybe she learned from the past. She has two daughters younger than Bristol, so of course she would not want a repeat performance.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Nov 15, 2010 @ 12:22 AM.

SkankBiscuit

SkankBiscuit

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Sarah Palin fan. But you can bet if my child got pregnant in her bedroom upstairs at home, I would change the rules, too. That actually shows me she is trying to be a decent parent. If something goes horribly wrong, you change things.

strawberryroll

strawberryroll

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 10:28 PM

With a smirk I turned the show on tonight but it was I who was surprised. To say I loved the show is a huge understatement. The closeups of the bears fighting each other, of the momma bear teaching her cubs to fish, the beautiful land that is Alaska, the glacier....I loved all of it.

I wasn't expecting to like this show at all for reasons that were not fair, and I have found a huge respect for Sarah Palin's bravery; she climbed that mountain (well part of it) when she was obviously afraid. I would've started crying and asked to be let down, but she stood there for 45 minutes trying ro figure out a way up, and even though she was scared, she went further up anyway. I give her all my respect for that alone. She apparently doesn't let fear get in her way. She got so close to those bears!

I never knew Alaska was so beautiful! Beyond anything I've ever imagined. I can't wait for the rest of the episodes. After I turned on the tv one by one all of my kids soon gravitated to the tv as well when they heard the plane flying and saw the bears. They watched every moment of this show too. I think this show appeals to all ages.

I hope the ratings turn out to be high. I wouldn't mind seeing more shows of this genre. Oh and one last thing, it's nice to see her kids are so normal. Piper, I think that was her name, licking the batter spoon was funny and yet gross to me at the same time. lol I liked that the kids didn't behave for the camera but were natural acting.

I look forward to reading other responses on here as to what everyone thinks of the show.

gogogidget

gogogidget

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 10:30 PM

I actually really enjoyed this. I'm not a fan of Mrs. Palin or her politics and I didn't really like it when she brought them up, but I think in the entire show she only did that once so it didn't grate at all. It was just a woman and her family, all of whom seem like extremely nice people, exploring the country around them.

The scene with Andy and Willow did seem a little contrived, but I thought it was cute that Sarah would use her cell phone to call Willow in her room to remind her of the rules.

Overall, I'd have to say that this isn't bad. I might even watch next week, when it seems that she is going to address Bristol's situation as a teen parent a little more.

wjcwm

wjcwm

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 10:40 PM

I enjoyed it also, there was a lot less of Sarah shrieking than in the previews. Enjoyed the scenery, enjoyed her children and would like to see more of them.

I think the author next door was covered, so I hope that is not brought up time and again. It was interesting to see her tv studio. I will watch again.

Edited by wjcwm, Nov 14, 2010 @ 10:41 PM.

mollycoddle

mollycoddle

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 11:00 PM

I couldn't believe that asshat Andy was willing to go upstairs when he was walking past her head protected by a glass wall. Even if it was just he and Willow joking for the cameras, I think any boy or girl that visits my house and so flagrantly disobeys house rules is outta there, right now. I hope that was all a pre-planned joke, or Andy needs better parents. I'd die if I saw a kid of mine ignore an adult at a friend's house. And honestly, do you guys think Bristol got pregnant in broad daylight in her mom's house!? I would wager her meth head baby grandma in law's house would be an easier locale.

lanorigb

lanorigb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 11:20 PM

I have to say, as much as I dislike her politics Sarah Palin's show has been enjoyable so far. I give her credit pushing herself beyond her comfort zone and for her seemingly normal family. I can only hope she focuses more on entertainment and less on her political career-she's actually pretty funny!

essinad

essinad

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 11:27 PM

Needs more Trigg! Such a cutie.

This family is well-suited for reality television. I'll probably keep watching even though Sarah grates.

avast wasteland

avast wasteland

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 11:29 PM

Everyone I know who's been to Alaska says it's the most naturally beautiful place they've ever been - in the summer. In that way the show does not disappoint. The show points out that fishing in a river does put you in competition with bears who are subsistence fishing.
I assume the Andrew "sneaking" upstairs scene was contrived with the agreement of all parties. That's OK with me; I know "candid reality" is not candid and real.
Sarah Palin's accent reminds me of "Fargo". She and her parents are originally from Idaho, which is also where she went to college. I assumed that's where the accent came from...