Todd and the Book of Pure Evil: If Kevin Smith Wrote an Archie Version of The Evil Dead

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

47 replies to this topic

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2010 @ 4:33 PM

In case you haven't heard about it, it's a Canadian horror comedy airing on Space on Wednesday nights, about a teenage stoner named Todd who encounters The Book of Pure Evil, which grants the reader whatever he wishes for, but always with ridiculously bloody consequences. He winds up teaming with a ragtag group of fellow high school students to track down The Book and try to fix the (often bloody) chaos that it leaves in its wake. The regular cast includes his best friend, the girl he has a crush on, the nerdy girl who has a crush on him, the zen-like janitor (played by Jason Mewes!), and the school's guidance councellor (who's part of a secret cult trying to track down The Book for their own ends).

I admit, it's not the greatest show ever filmed, but it does have its moments, and is definitely a guilty pleasure. Anyone else out there watching it?

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2010 @ 12:19 AM

I checked out a bit of the first episode. It just seemed really, really bad. Alex House was in the pretty cool (and bizarre) Dark Oracle though, so maybe I should check out the stuff online.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Oct 31, 2010 @ 2:26 PM

Wildly uneven. I find the humour obvious and juvenile. That said, it's some mindless fun.

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2010 @ 2:37 PM

I've seen the commercials for it, but I think I'm a little old for show.

Tulse

Tulse

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2010 @ 7:07 AM

I love this show -- it is so anarchic, and really undercuts the standard "Chosen One fighting evil" trope (for example, the gang has yet to save any of the people to actually use the book, with the exception of Todd himself). Yes, it's juvenile, but it kinda revels in that, with a comic excess of gore and ridiculous-looking monsters and an ton of stoner references (including the delightful mysterious stoner chorus that appears to live in the school parking lot).

It's certainly not for everyone, but as a fan of Buffy and Evil Dead, this is right up my alley.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2010 @ 5:23 AM

Yeah, like I said, a guilty pleasure. It's a stupid, stupid show, but it's entertainingly stupid.

And it does have some pretty funny moments. My favourite bit is when the janitor walks in on the gay student, sees him with the book, and just shrugs his shoulders and asks him to pass out his blood-cleaning mop, 'cause he's gonna need it soon. :)

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

Count me in as another in the "Guilty Pleasure" camp. It's bad, the FX are laughable... but it has its moments, and there are some times when its surprisingly smart in how it approaches the story arc.

Doubt any US Network will ever pick it up, just because of the US Net's paranoia about nudity and so forth. Still, the Cock episode was hilarious. :)

Tulse

Tulse

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2010 @ 12:57 AM

This show is much smarter than it has a right to be. Yes, the effects are silly, but I think that is intentional (and I have a great respect for the dogged insistence on doing practical effects instead of digital wherever possible). In fact, the show seems to me to be extremely good at capturing the vision of its creator -- one might not be keen on that vision, but it's hard to argue that it doesn't have one.

And no, I can't see this show ever being picked up in the US, with the explicit drug use, the language, and the occasional giant talking penis.

snoozy

snoozy

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 8, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

You also can't argue with the presence of Chris Leavens. (I think I spelled his name right).

It's the silliest thing I've seen in a long time; I'm old enough to remember when being a metal head rock god was enough to be king of the school. And it makes me laugh every single week.

Atticus looked so lonely being shut out of the gang. Awww.

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2011 @ 1:06 AM

I'm four eps in so far, and parts have been hysterical.

Will catch the rest of the marathon this week.

Stupid show, but funny.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2011 @ 1:40 AM

"Space" really sounds like a network which should be showing nothing but NASA footage, right?

You also can't argue with the presence of Chris Leavens. (I think I spelled his name right).

Leavins YouTube Channel used to be one of my all time favorites. Pure snarktastic genius (although these days he hardly bothers with it--he hasn't posted anything in a YEAR).

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2011 @ 7:30 AM

"Space" really sounds like a network which should be showing nothing but NASA footage, right?

Perhaps, but unlike SyFylis south of the border, it has stayed true to its origins and keeps a full plate of SciFi/Fantasy and related shows. (Related like shows that talk about SciFi Cons, and Sci Fi shows and such). So I'm more than happy with it.

I just wish they would get a HiDef feed. :/

I wonder if HBO or some other cable network would dare pick it up for the States? Given its content matter, it would probably be stuck on the Playboy channel or something like that. :P

Tulse

Tulse

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2011 @ 7:38 AM

I wonder if HBO or some other cable network would dare pick it up for the States? Given its content matter, it would probably be stuck on the Playboy channel or something like that. :P

It's way too "lowbrow" for HBO, and given that, I don't know that its explicit drug use, storylines about incestuous lesbian twins, and penis monsters would be considered acceptable US fare. Which is a damn shame, because the show is very very funny.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2011 @ 1:19 PM

I haven't decided whether or not I like this yet but I will say this show portrays the mood and energy (or lack thereof) of high school really accurately including the apathy, the boredom and the general oppressive nature of the whole place. Aside from the super natural adventures, I totally went to that high school.

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2011 @ 6:17 PM

It might work on Showtime.

I did finish the marathon. I enjoyed the season. Very very funny.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2011 @ 4:59 AM

If it was going to be on an American network, I'd say the best fit would be Comedy Central.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 9:22 PM

If it was going to be on an American network, I'd say the best fit would be Comedy Central.

Or maybe Spike.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 7:38 AM

Nah it wouldn't be Spike. Spike pretends its the Men's Network, but it still censors a lot just to stay on the basic cable network and to stay true to its TNN roots. No way in hell this show would make it down to Spike.

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 9:33 AM

Space is rerunning the season starting Friday at 10 pm Eastern.

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2011 @ 1:14 PM

A few little updates:

• FEARnet has been running the show in the US
  • The cast just won a Gemini Award for best Ensemble
  • Season 2 starts on Oct 23 on SPACE

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 8:43 AM

Season 2 now starts Oct. 30 on Space. Can't wait!

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 9:24 AM

Paraphrasing the commercial:
"What are you fighting? Vampires? Zombies? Vambies? Zompires?"

"Worse... Senior Citizens."

It should pop up on the PVR schedule soon so I can get it scheduled for recording. I'm not sure if anything will top a talking demonic penis, but I'm sure they'll find a way. :)

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2011 @ 10:16 AM

It popped up on my PVR schedule last week. Stupid time of Sundays at 8 pm. I've set it for the later airing.

I'm uh, expecting, uh, something hairy and talking.

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 10:55 PM

I caught the Season 2 premiere this evening. I had a much-needed good belly-laugh. Good fun. Especially the zombie/cannibalistic seniors.

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2011 @ 11:38 PM

Season 2 premiered with 'Retirement Home'. I liked the ep. Good fun again. The day after Season 1 finished. Atticus has beheaded his father and has taken over the reins of the Cabal. Gotta love the sweater vests. Fit right in with the retirement home. The 'Muses'/three weird guys are playing both Atticus and Todd as The Pure Evil One. I got a kick out of the nametags on the minions. So typically high school. And the belly laughs of the laxatives' effect on the cannibalistic seniors. What can I say - I like comedy so dumb or so sophisticated. No middle ground.

The second ep - 'The Student Body' was typical of many of last season's eps. Another student bites the er, dust. More about The Pure Evil One. More good times with the gang of four. Atticus still steals each scene. The Cabal is starting to smarten up - not being out of the retirement home in 20 years is rather limiting. More good times.

Edited by Playzonwords, Nov 9, 2011 @ 11:38 PM.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

Okay, I've missed most of the first season, but just catching the first two episodes of the second made me want to give this show a second chance. Some ridiculously awesome bad jokes.

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

More good fun in the third episode. Jenny's father - we hardly knew ya. The prophecy continues to thicken. Like the mashed potatoes in the retirement home. Will the real Pure Evil One stand up? Atticus continues to be my guilty pleasure character.

NoDakGrl

NoDakGrl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 8:19 AM

Can anyone tell me where I can watch season 2? I went to Space's website and the damn thing won't load. After finally watching all of the first season on Fear.net I am so excited to see the new season.

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 9:58 AM

Season 2 should show up on iTunes Canada at some point. In the US, I don't know. US viewers may not be able to view Canadian network sites, like Canadians can't normally view US shows on network sites.

For information, try www.toddandthebookofpureevil.com.

Playzonwords

Playzonwords

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 11:02 PM

Finally got to see an ep on the night it runs.

'Simply the Beast' - another ep of good fun. Great sight gags, including the head and the empty head. Chris Leavins still steals the show as Atticus.