1 Girl 5 Gays

• Please log in to reply

654 replies to this topic

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 8:22 AM

And even if Ian was lying (which I agree he might have been), why is his self-image so bound up in being a guy who never cries?

I remember Ian saying once he wished gay men would stop referring to each other as "girl". Methinks she has masculinity issues.

I just found Matt Barker on twitter. Wow, that kid has alot of issues.

I took an instant dislike to Matt, but the more he reveals himself, the more I find myself pitying him.

This is the first episode I've seen with him in it, and I was not prepared for the constant jabbering and the way he's constantly pulling focus and acting as though everything he says is a huge revelation. I did appreciate the way the other guys were just barely tolerating him.

I know! He was like a manic Jesse Tyler Ferguson, I was cracking up when Jake kept on saying "Stop touching me!"

So Michael is now known as Yerxa??? What???

I'm really enjoying JP's laid back very mature attitude.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:48 AM

I think that Yerxa is his last name. At least, that's how he introduces himself in the "It Gets Better" video he did with Dean.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 5:13 PM

Yerxa is his last name

Well that makes sense, I was worried it was his drag name. Ladies and gentleman, the fabulous Yerxa!!!

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 7:17 PM

I remember Ian saying once he wished gay men would stop referring to each other as "girl". Methinks she has masculinity issues.

Someone asked him about this on twitter. His response:"@divalovinlife because we are men. I have eased up on that a bit. I just don't want to be referred as one. "

I hope Gerry isn't one of the guys that we are going to see alot of cause he was just all over the place. I was willing to put up with him until he made that ridiculously ignorant comment about not liking lesbians because they try to be men. Then their was his need to take over the panel by constantly drwaing attention to himself. I let out a "Thank You!" when JP told him to calm his ass down.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:51 PM

I hope Gerry isn't one of the guys that we are going to see alot of cause he was just all over the place.

He's not. I can barely remember who he is, which means he doesnt show up much in the next season. It pretty much is Yerxa, Dean, and David with the other two rotating between some of the other guys. Gerry isnt even on the site website so I think thats a good indication of him not showing up anymore.

Nah, I can understand it. He's saying it because it conveys and continues the belief that gay men are somehow more effenimate than straight men, or that they are practically girls, which they're not.

rem581

rem581

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 7:34 AM

Yeah, I think Gerry has only been on three times. He seemed much calmer the last time he was on, but I won't be sad if he isn't on again.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 10:14 AM

Someone asked him about this on twitter. His response:"@divalovinlife because we are men. I have eased up on that a bit. I just don't want to be referred as one. "

That's way different than what he said on the show. I totally understand the personal preference not liking to be called "girl", but on the show he was talking about how other people were referring to each other.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 11:43 AM

My sister got me to watch this show, saying that the tone seems like something that would come out of PBS. I'm sure it's not just the counting, but I really am liking the format of the show. To be discussing 20 topics in (assumedly) 22 minutes, it really feels inclusive of everyone on the show.

I think what I really like is the fact that these are not cookie-cutter guys, as I could imagine an MTV US version would resort to. These are guys who I could see myself hanging out with on a regular basis. Or, at least, living and/or working near me. I haven't seen enough episodes to be able to state which people I like me, but I don't feel like I have to do so.

I also really find Aliya-Jasmine an excellent fit as host. She takes me back to the types of MTV personalities that would be on in the early 90s, back when MTV US seemed to be about this kind of programming (versus the descent to the gutter that "Jersey Shore" is steering). She puts me in mind of Alison Stewart or Serena Altschul or SuChin Pak, with the ability to be cute and funny without sacrificing dignity or intelligence.

I also like the fact that the show is a mixed bag: it isn't all "boxers or briefs?", but they don't spend too much time on deep topics. In fact, their ability to mix up the questions is impressive.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 12:51 PM

One thing I love about the show is that there are at least a few questions in each episode where I find myself wanting to stop and think about my own answer. It's not just fluff, but interesting life questions.

DayBreakDon345

DayBreakDon345

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 11:27 PM

What is Matt's twitter?

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2010 @ 3:55 AM

http://twitter.com/imattbarker

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 24, 2010 @ 2:31 PM

Okay, Santos is starting to rank up there with Gerry in terms of how much he annoys me. I know it's not his fault, but his nasally delivery drives me crazy -- I want to buy him some decongestant. But he also seems to want to always disagree with other people. (And how much did I love Juan calling him out on that on last night's episode? A lot.)

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

I haven't quite gotten to the point where I can name any of these guys, beyond a select few. I get the impression that a couple of them are trying to 'star trip' on this, by the way they present themselves on the show. The "Teen Summit" nature of the show would seem to encourage this behavior, but everyone seems a tad too close to 30 (if not beyond) to go as far as a couple of the guys do.

A couple of the others are way too immature. It occurs to me that where I thought I found flamboyant behavior annoying, it is moreso the sort of 'Mean Girls' junior high girl attitude that is weak. Hence, Santos and (I guess) Gerry are tired, but Juan - who has a number of icy stares of his own - doesn't bother me at all. Maybe that one guy - Mark? - can get away with such behaviors, as he seems to be the little brother of the show (he's not even 21 yet), but these other guys need to grow the f--- out of this quickly.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2010 @ 5:16 PM

Santos does certainly like to be contrary, he seems to get off on it. I loved it when Juan called him on it. And yes, his delivery does grate, but not as much as his weird haircuts!

This was the second time I heard Matt refer to his boyfriend hitting him and getting arrested.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2010 @ 1:37 AM

This was the second time I heard Matt refer to his boyfriend hitting him and getting arrested

But it was put into different context than before. Not that it justifies Matt's bf hitting him but we now know Matt does contribute to the crazy that is their relationship

I get the feeling that Santos thinks he's better than everyone else and I don't get that impression from Juan which is why I dislike one of them and am fine with the other. In fact Juan would be one of the people I'd want to go on a roadtrip with.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Nov 26, 2010 @ 1:39 AM.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 26, 2010 @ 11:42 PM

On the Canadian episode tonight, it was the first time I actually sided with Santos and felt bad for him and really hated Yerxa.

They were discussing which 'love story' they didn't believe in and Yerxa stated anything by Nicholas Sparks, especially the Notebook, while Santos mentioned Romeo and Juliet. Yerxa went off and wouldn't let Santos get a word in, saying that there is no way The Notebook could be better than R&J and it got really... not good. Especially because Santos never said one was better, just that he didn't believe R&J, which I agree with. If you take the very basic themes of each - two teenage kids from different families fall in love over a period of days, then decide they're destined for one another and so kill themselves.... or two teenagers fall in love but get spilt apart because of being with different families only to meet up again, and stay beside another for the rest of their lives... The Notebook, personally, is more romantic.

But anyways... it's tough not watching the same episodes as everyone else. I have no one to talk to. Heh. But for a nice little spoiler for future episodes, those guys really hate Andrew still...

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

But anyways... it's tough not watching the same episodes as everyone else. I have no one to talk to.

Don't feel bad, just give us a recap of what you're talking about although you may want to put it in spoiler tags next time. Personally I don't think of Romeo and Juliet as a romance but rather as a tragedy. You forgot one key element that's important to their story which is they couldn't be together because their families absolutely hated each other, they didn't just kill themselves for the sake of doing it. I haven't read or seen The Notebook so I can't comment on it, all I know is the author hated the movie version

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 30, 2010 @ 5:52 PM

If Santos has to be on the show, can we just have Juan and Jean Paul on all of his episodes? They both seem to totally have his number, and neither one is willing to put up with much shit from him.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 12:44 AM

I love that JP can't hide his contempt for Santos or Gerry. But I actually liked Gerry for the first time today despite his over-the-topness. Or maybe I was just far too annoyed with Matt to notice this time. I will say that I think Gerry is one of the best looking cast members then again I do love me some redheads so I'm biased.

I wasn't crazy about the combination of Gerry, both Matt's, David, and JP. I find that if Ian, Juan, Dean, Yerxa, or the two Jonathan's aren't there I am not as interested. They could have replaced Matt Simms with one of them and I probably would have liked the episode a bit more. The fact that I didn't care for most of the questions asked hurt it's appeal as well. Too many pop culture questions.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

I will say that I think Gerry is one of the best looking cast members

Indeed, but then he opens his mouth!

If Santos has to be on the show, can we just have Juan and Jean Paul on all of his episodes?

I know, Jean Paul was giving it to Gerry last night as well. (I know he like to go by JP, but I so much like Jean Paul better.)

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

I don't find ignorance attractive in anyone and I can't believe the number of times a couple of the guys have admitted how uninformed they are!!

Last night was the second time Santos uttered the words, "Oh, I don't read books."

And twice darling little Matt has made the admission. The question was "Who is your favorite character in fiction?" His answer was, "Oh don't come to me first I can never remember what 'fiction' means."

Another time the question was "What is your euphemism for 'sex?'" Matt wrinkled up his cute cute face and said, "What is a 'eumephism?'"

If I didn't know something I would try and hide the fact. I find it refreshing that Matt is so confident and totally unedited.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 3:21 PM

Gerry was a little better this time around. Part of it was that he didn't seem so handsy, and he was calmer. This is also the first time I remember seeing Matt Simms -- quite a cutie.

For me, the ones I want to see include Ian, Dean, Yerxa, JP, and David. They just seem a little calmer and more stable than the others, and having a couple of them on a panel really makes it more fun to watch.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 5:16 PM

Why do I keep missing episodes with Gerry in them? I'd love to see what everyone is talking about.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 5:50 PM

Why do I keep missing episodes with Gerry in them? I'd love to see what everyone is talking about

Well, Here is the First episode Logo aired with him. He was quite spastic in that one and made that really ignorant comment about lesbians and their lack of femininity. The other episode isn't up on Afterelton yet but it should be up tomorrow as they are usually a day behind.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 10:10 AM

I've only seen a handful of episodes but my faves are Dean, Juan, JP and both Jonathans. And on a stricly shallow level, Dean looked way way better with his hair swept back.

Krispy24

Krispy24

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 6:09 PM

For me, the ones I want to see include Ian, Dean, Yerxa, JP, and David. They just seem a little calmer and more stable than the others, and having a couple of them on a panel really makes it more fun to watch.

Preach! I would add Jake and Juan to this list also.

I love it whenever Gerry, Santos or Andrew get their comeuppance for making ignorant comments. This show portrays many real, intelligent, young gay men and the men mentioned above in particular make sure this aspect of the show isn't derailed.

In the past several episodes they've alluded to how Simon isn't liked, specifically by Dean. I've seen every US episode and don't recall Simon saying anything particularly offensive. Could someone clarify what happened?

rem581

rem581

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 2:58 PM

I don't think Simon has really said anything offensive on the show. A few of the guys have mentioned that they think he's rude because he didn't respond to their Facebook friend request or they saw him somewhere and he didn't wave or say hi even though they KNOW he must have saw them. Actually, in last night's Canadian episode Simon had a lot of good things to say about Dean, which surprised me. He apparently doesn't watch the show, so that probably helps.

Krispy24

Krispy24

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

Thank you for the clarification, rem581!

So far my absolute favorite moment has been Juan's response to if he knows any women who practice anal sex: "It's not really brunch conversation."

Edited by Krispy24, Dec 6, 2010 @ 9:24 PM.

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 8:21 AM

Wow, Gerry reached new heights of annoying behavior last night, I thought Yerxa was going to scream out of sheer frustration.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 7, 2010 @ 3:27 PM

Wow, Gerry reached new heights of annoying behavior last night, I thought Yerxa was going to scream out of sheer frustration.

I don't know if it was that bad, Dean offered to exhange seats with him and Yerxa turned down the offer. It seemed to me that everyone noticed that Gerry was really hyper and I wonder it they didn't think he was drunk or high, I know I did.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Dec 7, 2010 @ 3:27 PM.