1 Girl 5 Gays

• Please log in to reply

654 replies to this topic

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 10:36 AM

Curious if any other Logo-watchers caught the premiere (for the U.S., anyway) of this show last night. It's basically just a panel chat show from MTV Canada -- a female host asks her panel of 5 gays questions about romance and sex and they chat about them. They aired two episodes last night, and the panel changed between the two episodes -- I assume that means we'll see a rotating group of gay guys making up the 5 gays. These episodes were in the nature of 20 quick questions, each with a minute or so of chat, so it was very fast and snappy, but surprisingly fun. The guys are all in their 20s or (maybe) very early 30s, so it has a definite MTV feel to it, but they're also not stupid like people on the MTV reality shows. And several of them were quite cute, which doesn't hurt.

My impression is that new episodes are still being produced in Canada, and the format in later episodes seems to have shifted to the panel giving dating/sex/romance advice to couples having problems. Frankly, that's a little less interesting to me, because I'm sick of shows about the Helper Gays who will make straight people look beautiful and redecorate their homes and give them advice -- the episodes last night were more about gay guys from different walks of life chatting about what mattered to them, and to a lesser extent bridging the gay guy/straight girl gap. (On that front, the discussion of what made up the bases of sexual contact was funny and interesting.)

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:43 PM

I've never heard of this show before but I'll be sure to check it out, thanks for telling me about it, LTG

And as someone tired of seeing Magical Negroes on tv and movies I feel your pain

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:46 PM.

niamhmcqueen

niamhmcqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 1:10 PM

My impression is that new episodes are still being produced in Canada, and the format in later episodes seems to have shifted to the panel giving dating/sex/romance advice to couples having problems.

I watch this show every week up in Canada and it hasn't taken that turn, fortunately.

It's a great show. Many if the guys are very likable and they're very candid and honest.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 1:43 PM

I watch this show every week up in Canada and it hasn't taken that turn, fortunately.

Thank goodness -- the MTV.ca website made it appear that way. Maybe they just mean that the questions are submitted by real people.

niamhmcqueen

niamhmcqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 2:10 PM

If the show ever does take that turn I'll probably stop watching.
Some of the questions posed necessitate an advice-giving type of answer, but the program hasn't become about giving advice, yet. There have been some really great episodes. Most of the panel members come across as honest and open and often relay great stories. I really enjoy the show.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:33 AM

I saw one and a half episodes late last night and liked it well enough. For me it comes down to the questions that are asked. Questions about their relationships and people's reactions when they came out are interesting. Questions about what type of underwear they're wearing or what was the last nice thing they did for someone, aren't interesting. I think I'd consider this show to be something I'd hoped to be able to watch but if I couldn't for some reason I wouldn't be that upset about missing it.

Also I'm glad they aren't a bunch of flamboyant, stereotypes but rather regular guys who just happen to be gay

Ms Sugarbaker

Ms Sugarbaker

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 9:47 AM

David looks very familiar and I can't for the life of me figure out where I know him from.

Generally a conversation among twentysomethings is a thing to be avoided at all costs but these guys (and girl) seem to be not so bad. The best part of the show are the graphics showing the question number.

Edited by Ms Sugarbaker, Oct 28, 2010 @ 9:48 AM.

rem581

rem581

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 11:55 AM

My impression is that new episodes are still being produced in Canada, and the format in later episodes seems to have shifted to the panel giving dating/sex/romance advice to couples having problems.

No, that's actually what the first few episodes of the show were like, which I guess aren't being shown in the US because they were very different. The second season started a few weeks ago and it's the same format of the episodes you guys are seeing.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 4:13 PM

I really like this show. It's one of the few redeeming things about Logo right now. I'd love for them to do something similar with lesbians if it were just for one episode.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 6:37 PM

I love this show, I came across it up here in Canada a few months back and was bored so I decided to watch it. I didn't think I'd be a fan but I am. I love how they tend to have different opinions on things; they all have different life experiences that can add up to hilarity or actual good and interesting discussions. I'm glad it moved down to the States, hopefully that means it'll keep going up here for awhile.

There's only a few of the guys I can't stand (can't remember their names to save me, the one is the young kid... David? Not sure) but overall, they're pretty awesome.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 12:14 AM

There's only a few of the guys I can't stand (can't remember their names to save me, the one is the young kid... David? Not sure)

I think you are talking about Matt or maybe Andrew. The former is definitely the youngest. The only guy really annoys me is Andrew simply because I feel like he's the one who consistently riles up the other guys. Every time he's on, I get uncomfortable for the rest of the guys. He's been on the last two days and boy did he rub a few of the guys the wrong way. It was looking mad awkward on that couch.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 8:09 AM

Both of last night's episodes got really tense. In one, I think it was Andrew and his tattoo comments that started it, but a couple of the other guys seemed a little over sensitive about it. In the second one, Juan was just super pissy about hottie Jake getting more attention than him. (In the first show, Matt didn't help when he acted like 30 was totally ancient.)

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 1:55 PM

I was surprised so many of them would do Jesse James, dude seriously is a neo nazi

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 2:05 PM

Love love love this show! I only just discovered it maybe three or four weeks ago.

I'm 61 years old and grew up in a very very different environment than these guys did. It makes me so happy to see them confident and articulate and enjoying life and just really really likeable. There really aren't any of them I dislike . . . even Andrew . . . I like to hear his opinions whether he's just pulled them out his ass or not.

I was sorry to hear Matt say he is?/was? in an abusive relationship and loved the abuser so much that he didn't mind a few punches.

I don't know whether Canada grows 'em more mellow or what . . . but i find no nasty, hatefulness in these guys at all. They seem to really enjoy their time together.

Enjoy the hostess as well . . .

Juan is such a sweetie . . . so is JP . . . and Jerry! whew!

P.S. Between the two offered, I'd've done Jesse James as well. Often their "would you do" really doesn't give one much of a choice.

Edited by dick simple, Nov 12, 2010 @ 2:06 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 3:02 PM

P.S. Between the two offered, I'd've done Jesse James as well. Often their "would you do" really doesn't give one much of a choice.

I know right. I would've chosen Jesse James over Tiger Woods too. And I loved that Michael said he would choose Fantasia over the other girl just so he ask her about doing the "The Color Purple" on Broadway.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 5:19 PM

Oh, that's right. I'd forgotten who the other choice was. My initial thought was "Tiger Woods if he keeps his clothes on." I've always had quite a crush on Tiger Woods in his expensive pleated slacks and his narrow little hips . . . but then I saw that Vanity Fair cover or whatever it was of him with no shirt on . . . no thanks.

DayBreakDon345

DayBreakDon345

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 2:32 AM

Matt makes the most cutest facial expressions. However, he seems like a self righteous queen sometimes.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 12:09 PM

He's just so very, very young, which means he's more likely to see the world in stark black and white. You can see the difference with the older guys (Dean, Michael with the beard), who are more likely to see both sides of a situation and to make their answers a little more qualified. (Which isn't to say they don't also sometimes make absolute statements -- just that they're less likely to).

But I agree about his facial expressions -- especially the kind of naked lust he displays when they're talking about some celebrities.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

I do cut Matt alot of slack because he is like 19 years old, I think.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 2:00 PM

He's just so very, very young, which means he's more likely to see the world in stark black and white. You can see the difference with the older guys (Dean, Michael with the beard), who are more likely to see both sides of a situation and to make their answers a little more qualified. (Which isn't to say they don't also sometimes make absolute statements -- just that they're less likely to).

I was starting to hate him but your post makes me reflect on my own attitudes and belefs when I was in my early twenties and you're right, LTG, he deserves some slack.

I loved Michael, I think it was him, stating with confidence that showers were only around for the last hundred years or so and the show immediately lets us know that showers have been around since ancient greece

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 3:01 PM

I think you are talking about Matt or maybe Andrew.

I havent watched the show in a few weeks since it's been airing reruns here so I tend to forget the names but right, it's Matt I dont like. Through no major fault of his own, it is just the fact that he's so young.

Im not sure what episodes are airing in the States right now but there are a few ones when he talks about his abusive boyfriend that just make you want to shake him awake, he seems so delusional. And defensive. Im sure he'll be better with a few years on him... Andrew does seem to just be there to be ~controversial which is good at times, when you need that other opinion. Other times, it's just like dude. Cmon.

Looking them up on the site...I love Jake, Juan, Dean, and Beardy Michael Yerxa(which they later just call him Yerxa)... Jake and Ian is also ridiculously nice to look at. I pretty much love all the guys, JP, Thomas, Phillip. The only ones I cringe at at times are Ish, Matt, and Andrew.

Edited by hjohnson, Nov 16, 2010 @ 3:02 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 3:58 PM

Im not sure what episodes are airing in the States right now but there are a few ones when he talks about his abusive boyfriend that just make you want to shake him awake, he seems so delusional. And defensive.

We haven't gotten to that episode yet I don't think. I'm assuming this is the same boyfriend who he said doesn't like to use condoms and would be offended if he brought it up. The guys rightly pointed out that people lie and kept trying to tell him that he probably wasn't in a very good relationship then if this guy would be offended by him wanting to protect himself. I worry about that kid. I really do.

My problem with Andrew isn't so much that his opinions are controversial, but that he takes it to a place it doesn't need to go. He can make his point without insulting his fellow panelist, like he did with David and the tattoos. It's one thing to say, "I don't like tattoos and hear is why". It's another entirely to use David's as an example and then looked shocked when he is offended by that.

DayBreakDon345

DayBreakDon345

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 16, 2010 @ 8:34 PM

I also like Johnathan, but he doesn't say much. The first episode I seen him in, he didn't say one word.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:16 AM

Last night's new episode was a little intense. We got:

1) Ian telling the others that he's never cried over a breakup. I loved the fact that they all agreed that was shocking, and Juan asking him if he's ever been in love. If he's been in love 3 times and it's ended badly (which he acknowledged), it's a little scary that he never cried over any of those breakups.

2) Matt talking (for the first time in our episodes, I think) about his abusive boyfriend. What I loved about it was the reaction of the other guys (and Aliyah Jasmine) -- they were so loving, but so firm with him that this was fucked up. In fact, it was similar to the way they spoke to him about condom use. I also think that if he wasn't so young and, frankly, stupid, he never would have spoken so openly about either of these things. Which makes me glad he was put on the show, because it really opened up interesting discussions.

3) Ian talking about the difficulty of being a religious person in the gay community. So many gay people assume that religion is always the way that fundamentalists want it to be and that any gay person who's a believer or is involved in organized religion is some kind of self-hating freak. And it's true that there are people like that, but there's also an entire world of religious people and groups that are completely accepting of gay people and affirming of gay equality.

4) The whole freakout over the picture of 8-inch Lynch.

(Okay, it's true, I think of Ian as a wounded bird. I want to take him home and take care of him until he learns that it's okay to cry.)

I've been enjoying this show, but this episode revealed a depth I hadn't seen before. I'm really loving it.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 2:02 PM

Ian telling the others that he's never cried over a breakup. I loved the fact that they all agreed that was shocking, and Juan asking him if he's ever been in love. If he's been in love 3 times and it's ended badly (which he acknowledged), it's a little scary that he never cried over any of those breakups

While I'll admit I found it shocking, I didn't find it scary. I figure either Ian is lying or for some reason really had to breakup with someone, maybe they were abusive or a drug dealer or something else that was a major deal breaker for him and he didn't feel they were worth crying over

As for Matt, that was really troubling and sad. What really got me was he admitted that even if his boyfriend didn't change and kept hitting him, Matt wouldn't leave and would be okay with being abused as long as his bf never left. I hope after the cameras were off they convinced him to get some sort of therapy or counseling. I don't think his esteem and attitude will improve simply by growing older

I'm a heterosexual male and not a part of the so called gay agenda but it saddens me that they couldn't do this show here in the US

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Nov 17, 2010 @ 2:52 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 2:09 PM

I figure either Ian is lying or for some reason really had to breakup with someone, maybe they were abusive or a drug dealer or something else that was a major deal breaker for him and he didn't feel they were worth crying over

I think he was lying a bit. When the guys started to press him on it, he looked it he was going to tear up a bit and they cut to the next question. It's possible that those guys did things in that relationship that just made him happy to be rid of them and didn't warrant crying over.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 4:01 PM

The only relationship my (25 year old) brother ever cried over was when he was 16. Other than that, he never has. I dont even think he's really cried since then. I dont find it weird, necessarily, he's just the type of person that doesnt get upset easily. He lets things go really easily and doesnt get hurt by many things. He gets angry, but never really sad. My dad is the same way.

I think there's a few more episodes where Matt talks about the boyfriend that is even more sad. If I remember, something along the lines of Matt calling the cops on him, but feeling bad because he had to spend the night in jail and wishing he hadn't called the police, even though the guy hit him... just a horrifying look at the mindset of the abused. Though as of recent shows, they aren't together and I think he's with someone new.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 8:46 PM

While I'll admit I found it shocking, I didn't find it scary. I figure either Ian is lying or for some reason really had to breakup with someone, maybe they were abusive or a drug dealer or something else that was a major deal breaker for him and he didn't feel they were worth crying over

If I were in love with someone and then found out something horrible about him that left me no choice but to break up with him, I'd still cry over it. I think there's something wrong with a person who never cries. It's not healthy, and I do think it's a little scary. And even if Ian was lying (which I agree he might have been), why is his self-image so bound up in being a guy who never cries? What is he afraid will happen if he acknowledges it?

(But it's not so scary that I'm not totally into him.)

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:38 AM

Can I just say that I appreciated the other guys jumping to the defense of us lesbians when Gerry was all "I hate lesbians!" nonchalatantly. His explanation for it was, and I'm paraphrasing a bit, that he "loves women who love being women and doesn't understand us wanting to be men". That was such an ignorant statement and the guys appropriately took him to task for it. And it only made me love Ian even more.

Gerry can be a bit much anyway. He's just very loud and obnoxious alot of the time and pulls my focus from the other guys. I suppose that's probably the point as he is a performer but I just find him very draining.

ETA: I just found Matt Barker on twitter. Wow, that kid has alot of issues.

Edited by Turkish, Nov 18, 2010 @ 4:12 AM.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 7:18 AM

Gerry is so fucking annoying. This is the first episode I've seen with him in it, and I was not prepared for the constant jabbering and the way he's constantly pulling focus and acting as though everything he says is a huge revelation. I did appreciate the way the other guys were just barely tolerating him.