1-6: "Loyalty" 2010.10.25 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

92 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 2:17 PM

TV Guide sez:

President Martinez and Sterling suspect a mole is in their midst; Sean searches for answers at Leila's home, where he meets a mysterious conspiracy theorist (Paula Malcomson); Simon's allegiances are tested.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:00 PM

It’s a good thing Simon could easily steal that radioactive isotope to put in the coffee so everyone else would show up on their radar. And why the hell were they using radar? Is this 1950? On any other show like this they’d be hacking into the coffee shop’s security cameras and watching what Sophia did.

Sean and Leila apparently spent the whole night together and didn’t discuss anything about their time apart until the next morning. Sophia was traumatized and immobilized by a dog on a leash. The G-men don’t have cameras or any sort of clearance in their facility, because Simon just walked out with the isotope. Thomas cockblocked Simon for no reason in the 1950s. Crazy Paula Malcolmson said that Leila’s dad was targeted because he found out the government has a secret facility in Alaska. These are just a few of the massively implausible things on this show.

After all the bullshit he went through to get her back again, Sean thinks that the way to keep Leila safe is to leave her behind. Then he takes her to her house, which he knows is a bad idea, and…does she just happen to live close by? Where the hell are we? Are we still in Texas? And the non sequiturs, like Leila finding her sister’s baby clothes and saying, “I was the only one who could get her to sleep.” Her sister is 10 years old, for fuck’s sake! Why would her baby clothes be lying around? These writers are not capable of connecting one thought to the next one in the very same scene! A third grade class is writing this show, aren’t they?

Seriously, Event writers, how do you fuck up a show so badly?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

The look on Jason Ritter's face when Trixie started babbling about aliens was gold.
So usually I get pissed when promos give stuff away, but in this case I'm glad cause I would have been pissed if they killed Simon.

Gambie

Gambie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

Leila sure has an expansive emotional range - NOT. Kipnapped face = rescued face = relieved face = scared face = mad face = mom's dead face. I find myself wishing the Sean/Leila scenes pass quickly to get to the other storylines.

Edited by Gambie, Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:10 PM.

CubicleDrone

CubicleDrone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:13 PM

I thought for sure that the reporter was going to be shot by a silenced bullet before she could say anything. Secret Service agent death would have been dumb. No reason why he shouldn't have went with Thomas and Sophia. But then, his alien/future extra-normal abilities allows him to survive a building collapsing on him. 1% makes all the difference.

Edited by CubicleDrone, Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:13 PM.

Whatsyourface

Whatsyourface

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

I liked the episode.
The ending was good. They know how to get the viewers to want to tune in the next week. Or in this case in two.

Mysterious conspiracy theorist is from Lost. Hmmm.
And she said the A word. I thought they weren't aloud to say "aliens" on the show.

Sean and Leila were kinda annoying in this one. They were jerks for ditching Collier. But hey it's not like she saved both of them.

The evil guy (Carter?) that Collier is holding was just bad. "I need a hospital." Boo you. Why did Sean stop Leila from hurting him. Is it because good guys aren't supposed to do stuff?

None of the cameras picked up Agent Lee at the coffee stop?

NolieBlue

NolieBlue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

Aw, I liked it! Finally, the flashbacks lead somewhere. I actually cried when Simon went to see his old love. Very nicely done.

However, crazy journalist is a terrible actress. I mean, she was supposed to be nutty sure, but that was just awful.

juiceman

juiceman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:36 PM

hollyhox:

After all the bullshit he went through to get her back again, Sean thinks that the way to keep Leila safe is to leave her behind. Then he takes her to her house, which he knows is a bad idea, and…does she just happen to live close by? Where the hell are we? Are we still in Texas? And the non sequiturs, like Leila finding her sister’s baby clothes and saying, “I was the only one who could get her to sleep.” Her sister is 10 years old, for fuck’s sake! Why would her baby clothes be lying around? These writers are not capable of connecting one thought to the next one in the very same scene! A third grade class is writing this show, aren’t they?

I agree with you. In one scene we have Sean & Leila (in her dirty white tanktop) leaving Texas. Then in the very next scene, they are pulling up to Leila's and her parents' house & she's in a blue shirt. That must be one special SUV that can get these people from one place to another quickly, but yet it seems like it takes them a long time to accelerate from the bad guys.

And, I went back to the first episode to the scene where Leila's dad is taking them to the airport. You can see the license plate on his car, however it does not look like an actual plate from any state. So who really knows where they are from or how close they are to Texas.

At least we finally have a mention of Leila's sister. I was fearing that she was out on a date with Behrooz from 24! For those who do not know about him, he was taken (kidnapped?) in an episode and we never knew what really happened with him.

Edited by juiceman, Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:38 PM.

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:39 PM

It’s a good thing Simon could easily steal that radioactive isotope to put in the coffee so everyone else would show up on their radar.

yeah, you'd think he'd be on camera somewhere or he would have had to flash a badge or sign something. Also didn't the government guy say that someone walked out with it 40 minutes ago? There's no way 40 minutes passed from the time Simon left the office, went to wherever the isotopes were being stored and then showed up at the coffee shop.

hen he takes her to her house, which he knows is a bad idea, and…does she just happen to live close by? Where the hell are we? Are we still in Texas?

This was weird. They leave the hotel and in the next scene they are at her parents house. I don't remember if they've ever said her parents lived in Texas. According to the character's bio on nbc.com, her hometown is Atlanta. Also has that reporter been staking out the house in the hopes that someone stops by or did she just happen to show up at the same time. Also why'd they have to make her seem so crazy and give her a gun, just sit down and calmly explain who you are and why you are there.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:39 PM

I don't think I can deal with this show anymore. So many idiotic details. Like, Simon's car doesn't have GPS tracking? And his cell is not monitored? And no one saw him? And Sophia was in the subway and it actually made stops to the stations for normal people to walk in? And FBI Lady just focuses on DB Sweeney and totally misses Sean and Leila escaping? And Zeljko didn't suspect Simon, the man with the worst pokerface ever, who was all "can I leave this room to go out on the field, even though there's absolutely no reason for that? Pretty please?", as the mole? And I can't even be bothered typing most of this out to be honest.

I did think it was horrific that just as we were done with Sean going "where is my fiancee?" we are now getting Leila going "where is my sister?". Answer? No one cares.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

Agent Lee is hot but dim. He really should have taken off with Thomas and Sophia. I mean, there is no way he isn't going to be exposed. Although, Thomas is such a dick I may have tried to take my chances with the humans. Also, why did he pick a plan that any fool could see would instantly lead to his discovery? I found myself oddly touched by the totally manipulative scene of Lee crying with the elderly love of his very long life. I like that he went back to her to finally have that goodbye.

Leila continues her hot streak of being totally useless. The only explanation I can find for it is that she is a sleeper cylon who doesn't understand she isn't human, but still doesn't act the part all that well. What's this? I've just received reports that this show isn't Battlestar Galactica and that actress is just incredibly blank.

I did like Collier's repeated taunting D.B. Sweeny about his impending death.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

Did Sean and Leila just leave poor Agent Collier all by herself in a dinky hotel room with a bad guy and without a car? Wow, she deserves better then those two jerks. Hell, I'm now really wishing she did run off with Vicky instead, that was joked about in last episode's thread. Speaking of which, no Vicky tonight = bummer. I prefer the eye-candy that has more then one facial expression, sorry Sarah Roemer.

On one hand, I'm glad we saw more of Simon Lee tonight, since Ian Anthony Dale is a good actor and can make him much more sympathetic then the other characters and I am curious to see what his endgame will be. But there really was way too many plotholes and stupid things involving him tonight. How did he get that isotope without being seen? How was he not spotted in the coffee shop before everything went down? And does he really think he can fool Sterling? Thomas is a dick, but at least Sophie is there, so I would take my chances with them. Just felt like a dumb, emotional decision on his part.

The President was also barely on screen tonight. I guess Blair Underwood needs a break every now and then, but he was missed (the First Lady on the other hand wasn't.)

So, Trixie from Deadwood has now join the party. Okay, then. I agree that Jason Ritter's reactions to her craziness was pretty funny.

Edited by thuganomics85, Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:17 AM.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

This episode was slightly better. I liked the concept of Simon still being attracted to ?Violet when she was old, but when she didn't forgive him I was glad he didn't stay with her -- humans: can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. Anyway, it seems the "extraterrestrial biological entities" don't appear to age because their human forms are skins...which reminds me of Roswell, as did Paula Malcomson's scene when she was totally channeling Julie Benz from the episode "Crazy" of ten years ago, and since I'm rambling on about Roswell, maybe there's a real alien conspiracy out there: Julie Benz has so not aged 10 years -- but this is Hollywood.

Editing to add: I can suspend my disbelief to allow Simon to smuggle out the isotope using the smarts of someone who has been sneaking around for 66 years; I have a problem with him getting away with slipping it into the carafes in a post-Anthrax world with nobody in the coffee shop questioning him.

Edited by shapeshifter, Oct 25, 2010 @ 10:24 PM.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 10:33 PM

Did Sean and Leila just leave poor Agent Collier all by herself in a dinky hotel room with a bad guy and without a car? Wow, she deserves better then those two jerks.

Yeah, after all she did for Sean, that's a serious dick move. And you just know D.B. is going to get his second wind, kick her ass or kill her, and escape.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 10:34 PM

However, crazy journalist is a terrible actress. I mean, she was supposed to be nutty sure, but that was just awful.

Paula Malcomson is actually a very good actress but there's not much to be done when your part is written and directed that way. I did like how she strikes every looney paranoid note of nutballs who believe in secret government facilities full of aliens--except we know she's right on the money.

Thank heavens Simon didn't get away with his cockamamie radioactive milk scheme. I was afraid they were going to not suspect one of the CIA inner circle.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 11:06 PM

Simon in little teeny swim trunks--yum! Thanks, writers! Besides, I really liked his romance. I think the writers could've made it into a series-long story arc, something in the vein of Sayid/Nadia from "Lost." I think they lost a lot by having it be basically a one-off.

Also, love seeing all these actors from The Cosby Show. Who's next--Bud?

I'm digging this show. It's fun and stupid.

Edited by memememe76, Oct 25, 2010 @ 11:07 PM.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 11:20 PM

Simon's past love story was stupid. He seriously just disappeared on a walk to the store? And left the woman he loved waiting for him for years? Even if you concede that he had to leave, he could have told her he was leaving for some reason, or faked his death. The way he did it was the most inconsiderate he possibly could have been -- and don't tell me he couldn't have contacted her later without that other guy breathing down his neck. He basically ruined that woman's life because he didn't bother to tell her he was leaving. Can you imagine how conflicted she must have been for years, thinking maybe he died, maybe he was kidnapped, maybe he's being tortured by a psycho right now, maybe he never loved me and just disappeared... always wondering... its terrible. There are better ways to leave. (A whole separate argument is that he could have tried to run off with her and made a go at true love by telling her the truth about himself.)

The Alchemist

The Alchemist

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 11:24 PM

Wow, this episode sucked more than the last. Jeez. I am certain this show won't last long. Too many ridiculous implausibilities.

They made such a big scene out of Leila and Sean finding out about aliens. Writers, you're supposed to make the audience surprised, not the characters. Further, this pair is unlikeable and I don't care for them AT ALL!

Regarding from Texas to Leila's home...I'm thinking they're aliens too if they're able to travel that fast.

Simon's cover got blown too quick..that is IF his cover will get blown. His backstory about finding love is stupid. The only thing that I cared for was him in his short shorts. YUM.

The CGI this episode for the building collapsing, I thought, was really bad.

The crazy psycho woman Sean and Leila found...WTH WAS THAT? Such a contrivance all throughout.

At least FlashForward kept my interest longer than this crappy show.

ottoDbusdriver

ottoDbusdriver

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

We were given little tidbits of the future that the 1% came from

-- there aren't any oceans or large bodies of water (Simon says that to Violet on the rocks)

-- Sophia can speak Chinese (when she bumps into the man on the street)

-- apparently there aren't any dogs (as Sophie appears to be very afraid of them).

Going back to the first episode, Michael Buchanan's car has Georgia license plates (can't make the whole plate out, but there are no other states that end in 'gia'). This means Sean and Leila drove around 1000 miles in about an hour, maybe less. It's like the writers aren't even trying anymore.

Here's a silly question -- what would have happened if Sophia decided she wasn't hungry or thirsty before she was let go, which would have left them with nothing to track ? Would Sterling have gone all Gitmo on her and forced a sandwich down her throat ?

Where did Thomas teleport himself and Sophia too ? And how much of the building followed them through the vortex ?

New seasonal selection from Starbucks -- Scandium Spice frappacino. Yum, you can taste the toxicity (According to Wikipedia, Scandium is considered a moderate toxin with an LD50 value of approx. 1 gram per kilo. The coffee shop patrons and Sophia probably won't die from the low amounts they took in, but I would imagine they would get quite sick as they would need a significant amount in their system in order to be picked on radar/scanner/whatever the feds were using).

I'm digging this show. It's fun and stupid.

With heavy emphasis on the stupid. The writers for this show are just awful.
I wish they would make up their minds -- is it XX years earlier, or a specific year, but just pick a standard and stick with it already, because 6 weeks earlier I should never have started watching this show because it really is becoming craptacular.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

Was the crazy reporter also Amanda from Caprica? (I'm not sure if I'm joking or not ... my TV quality isn't good)

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:18 AM

I missed the first few minutes-- how did Sophia get in contact with Thomas?

I actually liked this episode-- I feel like we're finally getting someplace storywise. Little old ladies in stories will always make me sad, without fail, so they got me on that. I, too, also hate it when rocks throw themselves at me. Oh, and I thought the tracking shot at the end was quite well done for a TV budget.

I'm just gonna assume nothing associated with Sean and Leila will make sense. Like how nobody's guarding a crime scene, or how it's still there and next-of-kin haven't done anything with the house, or Leila's hair is still perfect, or why DB Sweeney is all "it's just a flesh wound" about the hole in his leg, or why Sean and Leila would just...drive off and leave Collier to look like a crazypants after all she's done for Sean. I did like Sean's face after the journalist's rant.

I'm very displeased that it's aliens (unless it's NOT ALIENS! TWIST! MISDIRECTION!). I could really do with a timeline-- right now I'm confused as to where Sean and Leila *were* before they drove to Georgia. I know they were in a motel with Collier-- did they just drive a couple hundred miles?

I don't know if this is my TV or my signal or what- I think it might be- but it sometimes seems like the show's filmed in a too-wide aspect ratio, so I'll just see half of people's faces during some scenes.

Save Simon! I didn't know how he was going to deal with blowing his cover and was disappointed that he just hit nerdy Justin, except that I figure he'll somehow still be alive, but fake his death somehow. I am disappoint that most people on this show seem to think violence is the answer, when it just seems to make more problems than it solves. By the way, note from past episode-- it appears that Vicky's taillight being out would have, in fact, given the traffic cop grounds to search her car. So...I guess I see why she did what she did. Although she should've played it cool. But nobody on this show can play it cool, so.

little edit for the chemistry sidenote-- scandium-46 (not 6, as I heard it on the show, no such thing as scandium-6) was actually used to trace people in Cold War-era Berlin, according to the following link. link Not in their food, but in their tires. Still it seems not to be toxic in moderate amounts as far as I can Googlesearch.

Edited by dives, Oct 26, 2010 @ 1:49 AM.

TVJimmy

TVJimmy

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:21 AM

jmz said: Not cool, edit your post.

Wholeheartedly agree. Guess I'll have to avoid TWOP threads for the current week's episode. Pissed that I had to read that here.

Anyway, how is it possible that the Prez and the round table are watching a live feed and don't see Simon enter the building? From our view, he entered after they discovered the 4 minute in the past footage.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:21 AM

I missed the first few minutes-- how did Sophia get in contact with Thomas?

There was a bag in the subway car that had the earpiece; safe to say Thomas put it in there before she got on the train.

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:42 AM

I'm taking the ability to travel from point A to B in a completely unrealistic amount of time as one of the things they lifted from 24.

And that bizarre hole the building was collapsing into as something from LOST!.

I don't know if this is my TV or my signal or what- I think it might be- but it sometimes seems like the show's filmed in a too-wide aspect ratio, so I'll just see half of people's faces during some scenes.

I was having weird pixelation issues but they cleared up during the commercials. It's probably the feed.

I am disappoint that most people on this show seem to think violence is the answer, when it just seems to make more problems than it solves.

But violence solved everything in 24!

Present Day Violet broke my heart. It was a dickmove to up and leave but how could he even say goodbye? I'm sorry, my keeper is here to take me to a new life? Some sort of I'm sorry letter would have been nice. I was so sad he finished up his apology with "you must be mistaking me for someone else". Really, you knew it was her, she knew it was you just look her in the eye say you're sorry. She has Alzheimer's, it's not like anyone would believe her.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:51 AM

Did Sean and Leila just leave poor Agent Collier all by herself in a dinky hotel room with a bad guy and without a car? Wow, she deserves better then those two jerks.

It's no big deal. Leila's house is just down the road. They can make it back to the hotel in approximately 4 minutes.

I seriously can't stand Leila. I don't know if it's the actress or the character. I wanted to like her when she insisted that she should help Sean find her sister (I really don't understand why Sean doesn't think she should help; it's not like the bad guys are going to try to kidnap her again), but the way she said "Where is mysister! Where is mysister! Where is my sister!" really grated. (Now that I think about it, it must be the actress. She was probably told to say "Where! Is! My sister!" but it came out all weird.)

-- apparently there aren't any dogs (as Sophie appears to be very afraid of them).

Was she scared of the dog, or was she just nervous because the dog could tell she wasn't a normal human being?

because 6 weeks earlier I should never have started watching this show because it really is becoming craptacular.

Ha! Totally.

I wasn't paying full attention for that scene with Thomas. Is it 100% certain that Simon didn't say goodbye to his girlfriend? Did he leave with Thomas immediately? Because I know that Simon told him he wanted a chance to say goodbye, but I got the impression Thomas wasn't happy with it, not that he was compelling him not to.

Edited by janie jones, Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:54 AM.

m love

m love

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 1:12 AM

That happened to me too, while Sean and Laila were driving... I was only able to see a headrest and Leila's nose on the screen, but I think my TV settings might have been off or something. Hmm.

I really like the "alien" story lines, but I was in the middle of a conversation while the conspiracy theorist told Sean and Leila everything so I didn't really catch all of that part. I think her using the "A" word is just proof that they're NOT aliens - she knows that something's up but mistakenly guesses an extraterrestrial, as opposed to humans from the future.

I do like the little minor hints slipping in each week about their original... location? planet? time period? Ex: Simon talking about no water, Sophia being able to speak Chinese

Seriously, though, I'm with everyone else here. Sean and Leila are seriously just bringing the ENTIRE show down. I don't mind the plot holes with Simon and how no one caught him, because I'm too caught up with the prisoners storyline, but the plot holes with Sean Leila are wayyy too big, and their story just really isn't that interesting for me to overlook them.

Edited by m love, Oct 26, 2010 @ 1:13 AM.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 1:34 AM

Was the crazy reporter also Amanda from Caprica?

Yes.

I've decided Sean should be treated like the Winchester brothers. They often seem to cover several states in a few hours. The problem is that they intercut the Sean story with the Prez and Sophia story. It's quite possible to drive from Texas to Atlanta if you start in the daytime, drive all night, and get there after sunrise. But when the elided 12 hours or so are matched up with about 45 minutes of Sophia's big Metro adventure, it looks ridiculous.

How long is it supposed to be since the plane was wooshed? It only seems like about four or five days Prez time but about two weeks Sean time.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 2:06 AM

Hey, maybe that's going to turn out to be the whole point of the show. Time means nothing. That's how you can travel cross-country in a matter of minutes, that's how two weeks can take five days, and that's why Sophia's people don't age.

Edited by janie jones, Oct 26, 2010 @ 2:07 AM.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 3:41 AM

On any other show like this they’d be hacking into the coffee shop’s security cameras and watching what Sophia did.

Or the cameras on the streets like they did to find the building Thomas was in.

Why would her baby clothes be lying around?

What made it even stranger is that they were in her dad's office. Why?

I find myself wishing the Sean/Leila scenes pass quickly to get to the other storylines.

They need to separate these two immediately. The chemistry isn't there. Their reunion was boring. Simon and his girlfriend's second meeting was more emotional than Sean and girlfriends.

I had a 4400 flashback to when Mr. Orson went to see his wife. She had been waiting for him all the years he was in the future.

And she said the A word. I thought they weren't aloud to say "aliens" on the show.

Conspiracy theorists always think of Aliens first. The twist will be when they find out they are from the future. This woman was bland. She doesn't know how to sell conspiracies. They should have gotten the black woman from Freaky Links, one of the Lone gunmen or Eddy from First Wave.

Was she scared of the dog, or was she just nervous because the dog could tell she wasn't a normal human being?

That is what I was thinking but then I remember dogs do back at strangers sometimes. Or perhaps Sophia is a zombie.

I liked this episode. It had plenty of Thomas and Blake. Blake is too funny. Still enjoying his scenes with Mr. President. The smug on his face when told him about his plan for Sophia. LOL
Thomas continues to be most intriguing. Does he travel with his teleportation device everywhere? Where can I buy one? Is he planning on teleporting his people back to their home? Once again he mention wanting to return home. Thomas = wants go home. Sophia = wants to stay. This will be interesting. He better start wearing a bulletproof vest though.

Sean and girlfriend don't need to be in every episode. They should have gone to her parents house in the next episode. At least it would have given the writers an excuse to jump two hours infront like they did before.

If the writers want to make it more interesting. Blake's trusted employee should return to work and act like nothing happened when he sees Simon. He can then proceeds to blackmail him.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 4:05 AM

They made such a big scene out of Leila and Sean finding out about aliens. Writers, you're supposed to make the audience surprised, not the characters.

This show could be used in a film writing class as an example of what not to do, and this comment could explain everything.

-- apparently there aren't any dogs (as Sophia appears to be very afraid of them).

Hee, I was thinking she came from a planet ruled by evil dogs.

Present Day Violet broke my heart.

A little. But the wilted sunflower was even more pitiful.

Seriously, though, I'm with everyone else here. Sean and Leila are seriously just bringing the ENTIRE show down. I don't mind the plot holes with Simon and how no one caught him, because I'm too caught up with the prisoners storyline, but the plot holes with Sean Leila are wayyy too big, and their story just really isn't that interesting for me to overlook them.

With FlashForward there were admitted conflicts among the writers as to direction of the plot. Looks like this time it's even worse. Maybe the producers still think this is the Sean & Leila show, but the writers have decided that's just stupid, and they're going to hijack the story and focus on the more interesting characters. Or maybe the 4400-meets-Lost plot was weak, so they threw in the Sean & Leila show as a distraction.