Rehab Addict: Addiction-Worthy?

• Please log in to reply

465 replies to this topic

txvoodoo

txvoodoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2014 @ 3:00 PM

PCB - they totally put new trim over rotten boards. We noticed that, too. 

I get wanting to save the look of trim on Victorians, but she often seems to think paint fixes rotten trim. She'll put paint over old, split shingles and trim, and I cringe. 

iwasish

iwasish

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2014 @ 7:52 PM

I think there's nothing nicer than a real wood clad house. That said, the upkeep is expensive. I paid 12 grand to have my house vinyl sided. I wish I could have restored the clapboards but between that and the painting it would have been almost that much and then maintaining it?. Too costly. Sure her houses look great with the new paint, but anything would look better than how they started out. I bet a close up look shows all the cracks and flaws. I bet they need to be painted again within 5 yrs. But, Nicole seems the type that expects to be repainting the outside every few years. She's often said, when you have an old house you spend a lot of time fixing and tinkering with things. I do love the way she decorates her bedrooms and the rest of the house. Her downfall is kitchens and bathrooms.

AlanKent

AlanKent

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 1:38 PM

I've watched the majority of the episodes of Rehab Addict and I agree with most of the comments about Nicole going to extremes to refinish and reuse things for the sake of authenticity (and cost savings) over practicality.  Kitchens and bathrooms from 100+ years ago do not work for today's lifestyles and there are ways to make them look period while fitting the way we live today.  Sure it's going to cost more money but kitchens and bathrooms sell houses.  Also, she's a Realtor and should know that the number one rule in real estate is location, location, location and it's almost never a good idea to own the best house in the worst neighborhood.  I appreciate that she's trying to revitalize the neighborhoods where these houses are that she renovates but especially with regard to the Campbell St. house in Detroit, who is going to buy that house given where it is and what's around it?  Not to mention the kitchen in the upstairs unit that while being quaint and authentic, is virtually unusable for more than making a cup of coffee.  As much as I loved the arts and crafts bungalow in Minneapolis, I absolutely hated the open concept bathroom she put in the master bedroom suite and would have completely redone that entire floor had I purchased that house.  Nicole doesn't seem to realize that sometimes there's a fine line between retaining period character and making a house adapt to today and instead of renovating these homes the way she'd want them to be if she was going to live in them, they need to appeal to the most prospective buyers. I often wonder how long it takes her to sell the homes she renovates and how many of them are still sitting on the market without a buyer because of the location and the way she redid the kitchens and bathrooms?

txvoodoo

txvoodoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 3:57 PM

AlanKent - YES, I'd forgotten about that open concept bathroom. Open concept kitchens? Awesome. Open concept toilets? No no no no nonono. There are some things you really want behind a door and a wall.

You make a really good point about having the best house in the neighborhood. Even with her subpar renos, that's what she's doing, and by a long shot. When the rest of the neighborhood is boarded up crack houses, there's no way to recoup your investment. 

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 6:35 PM

The house where all the neighbors helped with the painting, seemed to be in neighborhood that was being gentrified.

txvoodoo

txvoodoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 6:47 PM

I don't think they're actually *neighbors* - she puts out calls for volunteers on her fb page. 

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

nevermind

Edited by melissa1925, Apr 3, 2014 @ 10:48 AM.

iwasish

iwasish

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2014 @ 1:39 PM

When the rest of the neighborhood is boarded up crack houses, there's no way to recoup your investment.

When she commented that the hole in one of the windows was from a bullet... not really something you want potential buyers to be aware of.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:00 PM

Nicole said she bought the abandoned lot beside the house and the two empty ones across the road. I can only imagine all the burned out houses didn't show on camera. Who would buy Nicole's renovated house in a neighborhood that bad?  You don't want the nicest house in a bad neighborhood. People think you got money and they break in to steal your stuff.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:08 PM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:07 PM

Nicole said she bought the abandoned lot beside the house and the two empty ones across the road.

I wonder what she's going to do with them? 

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:14 PM

She created a big fenced in yard that included the empty lot next to her restored house. It was really nice having that big yard.  A great place for someone's kids to play. Nicole made a urban park in the two lots across from the house. Who will keep it cleaned up and nice? There's nothing more depressing than a park littered with beer bottles and other trash. Worst of all, that park may attract a bad element that hangs out drinking and dealing.

I hope there's a neighborhood association that is trying to reclaim that neighborhood. Maybe Nicole's reno house will be an important start.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:18 PM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 11:33 PM

Nicole made a urban park in the two lots across from the house. 

I didn't realize she actually bought that, I wonder if she still owns it? It would be strange if she still did.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 3:02 AM

I'm pretty sure Nicole said she bought the lots for the park. I'll have to listen closer next time that episode airs.

I found this video of the neighborhood and finished Detroit house. Footage of the Rehab addict house starts at the 5 min mark. That house looks like a diamond compared to anything else on that street. Later in the video there are some newly built homes. It does look like the early beginnings of gentrifying the neighborhood. There are a lot of empty lots that could be built on if people wanted to take the risk.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 7, 2014 @ 3:20 AM.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 6:08 AM

You're correct, aceplace.  I heard her say something about buying the lots.  WRT the ongoing maintenance of the urban garden, perhaps she purchased the lots and then donated them back to the city.  I don't know for sure but that's fairly common.  Hopefully Detroit is maintaining their parks.  ?? 

Thought one of the articles linked above referenced a neighborhood association and indicated that's who furnished the painting and other volunteers.

iwasish, you mentioned the need for repainting the exteriors every 5 years or so and that Nicole would simply expect that.  IMHO, Nicole doesn't expect it or worry about any maintenance.  As a flipper, she's long gone before 5 years rolls around.

Same answer, txvoodoo, WRT covering up rotten trim boards or old split shingles with paint.  She's out of there long before it's a problem. 

What's the saying, "A little putty, little paint - makes us what we ain't!"

Edited by diydude, Apr 8, 2014 @ 6:12 AM.

aurora296

aurora296

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 5:25 PM

That video that aceplace57 linked to really pissed me off. Here's what I put in the comments section: 

"Where are you two from? Are you Detroiters or have you ever lived in a city before? You both reacted like you've never seen urban blight before. "Is that a burned up house? Oh dear me!" I just drove by the house she renovated yesterday and 9 months after she left, it's still in beautiful condition. No one's vandalized it. Have you seen Corktown & Midtown lately? Those neighborhood are slowly coming back, house by house, but people like you who just want to bitch and clutch your pearls and criticize others who are trying to make a difference. Why don't you stop pointing fingers, acting uppity and light a spark in a neighborhood like she did. Do something useful instead of criticizing others."

It is true, I just drove by the Campbell house crossing my fingers and bracing myself to see that vandals had ruined it, but no. It still looks great. The tree stump too.
I am very familiar with that neighborhood and there are a few "ride or die" people who have lived there for years, kept up their properties and absorbed the empty lots next to their houses. The city doesn't say anything, as long as the people keep up the empty lot everyone's happy.
As far as Nicole, I was cringing when she spray painted the front iron door on the Campbells Street house. She just left the door on and sprayed it. ~cringe~ I'm thinking thousands of bronze specks all over the porch, windows ...etc... 

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 9:58 AM

I agree, and as I said before 'why would anyone buy a house in Detroit esp in the area that she rehabbed ?'  I would be scared to walk down the street, even in broad daylight!!!

What a waste of time and money.

What that area needs is  two or three bulldozers.