Rehab Addict: Addiction-Worthy?

• Please log in to reply

465 replies to this topic

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2010 @ 7:11 AM

Anyone seen this new show on DIY Network?

Nicole Curtis is a sweet-talking, hammer-swinging whirlwind. Working in Minneapolis and Detroit, Nikki discovers historic houses once the pride of the neighborhood that have fallen on hard times. Pushing her rough 'n' tough crew, arguing with her family, wrangling with city officials and dealing with the usual litany of old house headaches, it's not always pretty. By the time the dust clears, a house that was ready for the wrecking ball is restored to its former glory.

Normally, I'm not so much a fan of the house-flipping genre of programming, but I think I could really get hooked on this one. The host is a realtor as well as renovator/flipper, so she knows what she's doing (although she also seems a little time-management-challenged and could come off as a bit ditzy).

And I love that she doesn't just slap some trendy shit into a beautiful old house. The first three episodes showed her restoring a 1904 victorian in Minneapolis; now she's moved 20 blocks over to a craftsman beauty that she's been carrying for many months. I love older homes but can't see myself tackling all of the remodeling and maintenance challenges; this could be a fun way to be exposed to them.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2010 @ 1:37 PM

I watched an ep of this the other day. Kept thinking Nicole looked familiar. Then today her face (I think) flashed past as one of the "expert" commentators on the Sweat Equity show. Which makes sense if she's based in Minneapolis, where Amy Mathews lives.

I haven't really paid enough attention to this show, to have a firm opinion. So far I don't love it, don't hate it. I do like the DIY Network lineup of shows lots more than HGTV these days. I mean, sure, I've sat and watched people shop for or try to sell houses (which is by my estimate 80% of HGTV's evening programming), but I prefer seeing people working on houses.

Edited by Suz at Large, Oct 22, 2010 @ 1:41 PM.

lizziedog

lizziedog

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 24, 2010 @ 2:49 PM

I liked watching the work they were doing but goodness she's frenetic and thin. I want to feed her.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:57 AM

goodness she's frenetic and thin. I want to feed her.

No kidding. Nicole seems like the kind of person who DOESN'T! HAVE! TIME! FOR! THIS! as regards things like mealtimes and regular sleep, and instead tosses down espresso shots as she's running late to the next appointment.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 12:52 AM

I've seen a few episodes. Like Suz at Large said, I don't love it and I don't hate it.

I'm still trying to figure out how she does this. I didn't realize until like the 4th or 5th episode that she had a business partner. I can't really tell if she has a dedicated crew or just hires people for every job.

They keep showing the commercial where she says she's close to bankruptcy. So what is the business partner for? Or does he tell her what to do and she ignores his advice?

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2010 @ 1:43 PM

What the hell? Were only four episodes produced?? I liked these four... the first time around. But seeing them on the DIY program listings over and over AND OVER again, with no apparent hope of any new ones, is really discouraging.

Skelley

Skelley

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2010 @ 8:59 AM

I like what she does with the interiors, but her choice of exterior paint is awful.

northwestgal

northwestgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 19, 2010 @ 11:39 AM

I like the work she does and am interested in some more episodes--looks like new ones will resume in mid January. Not sure why DIY is making us wait so long. I have a 100-year old house myself that was thoroughly gutted in the 70's, so shows like this give me ideas and cautionary tales.

WRT her business partner, maybe she doesn't always need to borrow money for her remodels but ran short due to carrying costs of both houses. Or maybe she lives in a perpetual state of crisis where her partner seems like a "one time only" deal, but it's really more often than she'll admit.

I wonder how much money she really makes on these houses--before closing costs, after paying off the original mortgage and restoration costs, she cleared $58K. Take away taxes, closing costs, interest on her partner's investment, how much will she get?

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2011 @ 12:19 PM

I liked watching the work they were doing but goodness she's frenetic and thin. I want to feed her.

I'm watching the ep where her son calls from school to tell her he forgot his lunch, so she rushes off to get him some...from a fast food drive through! My mom worked full time when I was growing up, and she wasn't able to leave at a moment's notice to save my butt if I forgot my lunch(or she forgot to give me lunch money, which sometimes happened). I had to borrow money from the office or go hungry.

Sorry, my old-fogeyness is showing...

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2011 @ 6:42 PM

I'm enjoying the new shows a lot better. She's more calm and professional working on the old mansion (The Minnehaha Project). So far the work has been pretty impressive. Especially the master bedroom reno. I felt bad because the city kept fining her for the garage. I'm glad she finally painted it and fixed it up. Nicole is really good at staining/finishing wood. I was very impressed with the 1920's bar that she restored and stained.

She does seem much thinner these days. I guess she is running herself to death and not eating properly. I think she's a real estate agent and a house flipper?

Edited by aceplace57, Feb 26, 2011 @ 6:50 PM.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2011 @ 7:44 PM

I think she's a real estate agent and a house flipper?

Yup, there was one episode that showed her sitting on the front steps of her flip talking about a real estate deal, and mentioning that it was sometimes hard to balance the two jobs.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2011 @ 10:38 AM

I absolutely LOVED what Nicole did with the kitchen in the Minnehaha house, with the marble countertops and backsplash to tie in with that gorgeous marble original floor.

Have to admit though, I was a little baffled as to how with all her measurements and machinations she still managed to purchase a refrigerator too large for the allotted space. The smaller replacement fridge just looked so, so wrong jutting out from the cabinets.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 9:19 AM

Have to admit though, I was a little baffled as to how with all her measurements and machinations she still managed to purchase a refrigerator too large for the allotted space. The smaller replacement fridge just looked so, so wrong jutting out from the cabinets.

As I recall, the original fridge wasn't too large, but fit just fine into the space. The problem was lack of clearance for the right-hand door. The fridge was right up against the wall on that side, so there wasn't enough clearance for the fridge door on that side to open fully, because that fridge door swung out against the outer door and its door handle.

I respect Nicole's passion for renovation of this property, and her design decisions including revealing the original marble floor in the kitchen. But the fridge door clearance was a detail she overlooked; if she'd had a kitchen designer review her plans before the buildout, I think that door clearance problem could have been avoided. According to Nicole, the only solution with everything placed as it is now, would be a custom built fridge which I don't think she had the time or money to obtain. Probably a bargaining point for the buyers of the place.

Does anyone know if the house has already been sold?

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 9:40 AM

As I recall, the original fridge wasn't too large, but fit just fine into the space. The problem was lack of clearance for the right-hand door. The fridge was right up against the wall on that side, so there wasn't enough clearance for the fridge door on that side to open fully, because that fridge door swung out against the outer door and its door handle.

True, but if you don't have enough clearance to open the door, I'd call that a fridge that's too large. Perhaps "too wide" would be a better choice of words.

Does anyone know if the house has already been sold?

I can't find a listing for it; not on Nicole's ReMax site nor on several other area real estate sites. I'm guessing it's been sold. There's a similarly-styled home still available in the neighborhood -- MLS# 3968302 -- and I thought for a moment it might be the house until I looked at the kitchen photos.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 5:41 PM

True, but if you don't have enough clearance to open the door, I'd call that a fridge that's too large. Perhaps "too wide" would be a better choice of words.

I notice that in so many older homes the kitchens are awkwardly shaped and newer fridges don't fit into the layouts as well. I would have gone possibly for the new drawer fridges/freezers. They fit inside an island and pull out like a very deep drawer. Ina Garten has them in her kitchen I think, Martha Stewart also.

greyseal

greyseal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 11:21 PM

I just saw this show for the first time and enjoyed it. I like her use of salvaged wood for the floors and I thought she did a good job with the fireplace. The painting she did on it really made it look good. I am looking forward to new episodes.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 12:18 AM

The completed house looked really nice after staging it. It was nice of Nicole to give the old residents a final tour of the house. I hope she waited to sell until after Rehab Addict aired. I suspect there's a lot of viewers living in that area that would love a chance to make an offer.

Nicole put a lot of nice personal touches in the house that the average flipper would never do. Especially all that hand-painting on the hand carved fireplace mantle. The basement bar was another great touch. Someone's family will be enjoying a great house very soon.

I was disappointed that she painted the ceramic floor tile. That's not going to last long with foot traffic, kids running, and mopping. I'm pretty sure that it'll start flaking off within a few months and look terrible within a year. Hopefully, that black paint she put on the floor tile can still be stripped off cleanly and re-grouted. A temporary fix like that is something flippers do because they don't care if the new owners have to deal with it later. But, I understand Nicole has a lot of money tied up and she wants to get the best price possible. I've seen flippers on other tv shows do a lot worse band-aid fixes.

I'll miss watching Rehab Addict. I hope there's more seasons to come.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 18, 2011 @ 12:29 AM.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 8:14 AM

I second aceplace57's comments. The end titles said that Nicole was still looking for the right buyer (i.e., the place hadn't sold yet). I hope she manages to sell it and make some money on it. With the exception of painting those tiles, I didn't see her do anything that smacked of "cheap, fast and sleazy" in that house rehab. Heck, if I had the money and wanted to live in Minneapolis, I'd buy the place in a heartbeat.

I particularly liked how she rehabbed or reused old doors in several places, and respected the original features of the house during the renovation. I admit, she kind of put me off in the first couple of episodes, with the incessant coffee-drinking and the Yorkie under the arm. But then in later episodes, we saw her minus the dog and doing a lot of hard slog work on the house. For which I respect her tremendously.

Though I didn't think I'd be saying this after seeing the first two episodes: she is not just a pretty face!

JennyMae

JennyMae

Just Tuned In

Posted May 15, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

Was it just me or did anyone else hate what she did in the basement with the brick? It looked even worse after she finished with it. I did like a lot of the rest of the house though, especially the kitchen, I thought the marble backsplash came out beautifully.

BrianP

BrianP

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 12:20 PM

I love this show, they did finally play a few more episodes..but the way they replay and replay and replay, and oh ya, replay the same episodes and the are all out of order too...is rediculous.
As of last weekend, the Minnehaha house finally went on the market, asking price is $850,000. The zillow value is in the $500K range...I hope she gets what she is asking for it, a lot of love went into the place, and the fame from being on a show might just do it.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

They finally got some new episodes to show on Thursdays. Nicole still hasn't sold that huge house she did last season. So, she's doing small design projects to bring in cash. I liked tonights two episodes. She did a kitchen in one and a bathroom in the other. I thought they came out pretty good. I liked the bath project better. It looked really nice, especially for the budget Nicole had to work with.

Edited by aceplace57, Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

I was so glad to see that TiVO picked up new episodes! I'll be watching them tonight. Interesting that they switched the show's focus, but yeah, if she hasn't sold Minnehaha yet she must be working hard to scrape up extra cash. The market here is still pretty stagnant.

CopShop

CopShop

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

Yay, Nicole is back--she's got mad skillz. This is a much-needed antidote to the cookie-cutter mentality of HGTV and modern real estate. It is a pleasure to see homes carefully restored and remodeled.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Nicole has a new house to work on. A young couple bought it and they get married in a month. I think that couple set a new record for flaking out on home reno. One evenings work and they were already crying. All Nicole asked them to do was strip paint off a door and a entryway floor. They must have totally disappeared because Nicole had to bring them back over later just to show them progress on work they were supposed to be doing.

I thought Nicole made a huge mistake refinishing that porch floor. What the heck was she thinking? This is Michigan and a place with lots of snow banks. People will be tracking wet snow all over that porch and within one winter the refinished floor will be ruined. You have to have some type of waterproof flooring on a porch. Porches are where you take off your scarves, wet coats, and boots before going into the house. That was a major blonde moment for Nicole.

I'm surprised she said that she doesn't have a contractors license. Its pretty easy to get in my state. I'm not sure what the rules are in Michigan. Usually if you can show a few years work experience in construction the license is just a formality. Pay a fee and take a very basic test.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 2, 2012 @ 12:18 AM.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

What the heck was she thinking? This is Michigan and a place with lots of snow banks.

I thought the house was in Minneapolis, where Nicole lives. She's originally from Michigan, and seems close to her family there, but her house rehabbing/selling happens in Minneapolis.

That said, of course Minnesota also has a lot of winter snow. I wasn't watching the show closely last night. I agree, if she didn't take care to apply a few coats of some hardy urethane finish to the entry floors, I foresee rapid deterioration unless they plop down a large mat to catch the dirt and moisture right at the door.

Edited by Suz at Large, Mar 23, 2012 @ 1:59 PM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

Yes, it's Minneapolis.

But Michigan or Minnesota, having people walk in from the outdoors directly onto freshly-refinished hardwood is going to be trouble most of the year. I wasn't a fan of the faux marble stick-on tile, but I understood why the previous owners put something down.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

I get confused because Nicole is always talking about Detroit. She even drove over there to pick up her brother and another relative last season. Thanks for reminding me that she's flipping houses in Minneapolis.

The little house she's working on for the couple should turn out really nice. I wish someone like Nicole could have fixed up our first home after we married. I worked on that first house for over a year.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

Nicole is going through that little house pretty fast. I think she hurt the value by removing the bedroom closet. I've noticed on House Hunters the home's closet space often makes or breaks a sale. That tiny 1920's closet still in the bedroom won't be enough. Even Nicole admitted people today have a lot more clothes and shoes. That's why that closet was added. But Nicole likes making everything as original as possible. Eventually someone will put that closet back because its needed a lot more than those 20 inches of room space..

I loved her idea of putting cabinetry back at the entrance to the living room. That was clever to realize the markings on the hardwood indicated something had been installed there in the 1920's.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 9, 2012 @ 7:50 AM.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

I dunno. To me, it seems refreshing to see a show put the focus on "put the house back the way it originally was built" rather than "do whatever's fashionable this week to pump up the resale value." And sure, whatever she does will likely be undone by someone, at some point. But for these clients - the homeowners - it seems that salvaging/recreating the original is more appealing.

Makes me want to drive past the house this weekend and gawk... wonder how many other twin city-ans are already doing so?

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

Is this airing on DIY? (We don't receive that channel.) They showed only 2 MN episodes on HGTV, IIRC and then, nothing. So frustrating when a non-HH, promising program gets pulled, with no explanation whatsoever.