Downton Abbey (UK)

• Please log in to reply

11347 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 12, 2014 @ 12:15 AM

This thread is for the discussion of Downton Abbey as it airs in the UK.  If you want to discuss the show on the US timetable and without the risk of seeing untagged spoilers, please head to the Downton Abbey expanded forum

There seems to be some confusion about what constitutes a spoiler in here. Any major media article or interview about the show in Britain is not a spoiler by TWoP rules. Neither are sneak peeks, promos, episode synopses, or press releases. Casting news is not a spoiler. Spoilers are leaked plot details, and not given out in interviews. You can find our spoiler rules in the Spoiler section of the FAQ. PM me if you have questions beyond that.

Finally, if you want to discuss Mary and Pamuk, you have missed your chance. Don't bring it up at all, please. Sorry you missed out, but the reasons are here. Thanks.

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 5:31 PM

I'm in America so I have to wait an ungodly amount of time to see the show. Can somebody give me a rundown of Daisy's scenes and her interactions with the valet?

Helena Dax

Helena Dax

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 7:35 PM

But at no point do we actually get any real insight into Mary’s feelings.

I think that's because Mary hasn't got real feelings for any of  them.

I stopped considering Downton Abbey a good show after first season, but I still enjoy it. Reason number one: Carson's expressions. His face when the American valet said he wanted to talk to him "man to man" was amazing, absolutely hilarious. And his relationship with Mrs. Hughes is lovely. 

Reason numer two are the clothes. The dresses are gorgeous. I'm not someone interested in fashion, quite the contrary, but those dresses are so beautiful. Lady Mary's "Japanese" dressing gown was amazing. 

And  reason  number three: lady Violet. She's got the best lines.

I like Shirley McLaine, but I find she looks awful in this show. Is she  using Homer's makeup gun? I liked her with  that smarmy lord or whatever, though.

So Bates is a killer, a forger and a thief. Wow. Not  that I mind he killed that disgusting rapist but...

mdumont

mdumont

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

Reason numer two are the clothes. The dresses are gorgeous. I'm not someone interested in fashion, quite the contrary, but those dresses are so beautiful. Lady Mary's "Japanese" dressing gown was amazing.

Yes, I love the clothes, especially Edith's wardrobe this season. She wears the most gorgeous beaded and embroidered evening dresses. And the hats. Lots of fabulous hats.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 9:47 PM

I enjoyed the Christmas special largely also for the wardrobe and London setting. It was a refreshing change from Downton and better than last year's CS (Matthew dying, Rose's parents and their issues). I love Mary and Edith's wardrobe and they look gorgeous in the party scenes. I've become quite indifferent to Mary, but I quite like Michelle Dockery and find she looks lovely in all those hats.

My big gripes from the special were Sarah Baxter and Thomas's old bitterness. The latter is old and for some reason, knowing that the two actors have such a good relationship off screen, it's a bit unnerving to watch them on screen. I do not understand the point of Sarah at all. She is pushy, pompous, and has no chemistry with Tom. I rather Tom be paired with Madeleine who was lovely this episode.

I generally like Paul Giamatti and I thought he fit in well. I'd definitely liked to see him again soon, but I'm doubtful that would happen. His little arc with Madeleine was sweet.

The Mary and Mrs Hughes talking to Bates scenes were stupidly overdramatic. I hope this is the last of that annoying storyline, but I don't think it is. Sigh.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 12:17 AM

I never watched the promo trailer to maximize the number of surprises and to optimize enjoyment, so I just watched it now.  They really made it look like stuff was going to happen.  Very misleading cut of Anna asking, "So what is that about?" and making it seem like it was related to Bates and London.  As usual, they showed a major scene near the end in the trailer (the Prince of Wales opening their ball).  Using Carson's speech about Daisy really overplayed the whole non-relationship which didn't even reach the stage of a kiss.  And Thomas seeing Branson and Sarah Bunting... well, that was pretty much the entire subplot right there.  At least they didn't tease the "will they or won't they" stuff with Mary and her two suitors.

I agree with the above poster who said Martha and Violet's scenes in this one was less comic sparring and more vindictive and plain mean.  I didn't think the former was fun to watch, but the latter was almost uncomfortable to watch.  They didn't have too many scenes together either.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 3:39 AM

I'm in America so I have to wait an ungodly amount of time to see the show. Can somebody give me a rundown of Daisy's scenes and her interactions with the valet?

Americans can watch the entire series online for free. You just have to know where to look. We aren't allowed to post links of where to find such sites that offer this capability. Just type in your search engine "watch downton abbey online free" and you should find links.

ClaireK

ClaireK

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 3:51 AM

another mixed review (even if 3 stars out of 5 isn't that bad) 

http://www.telegraph...ial-review.html

and a more positive one

http://www.digitalsp...e-your-say.html

As I said, I found the CS ok (I think I'll like it better when I'll rewatch without the annoying commercial breaks), but had it been a bit shorter  - say 90 minutes instead of 2 hours - it would probably have flowed better.   

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 7:18 AM

The two best things about this year's Christmas special: no one died and Violet very sincerely told Tom that the Crawleys are his family. Of course, that was after she called him Branson but still, she meant it when she said they are his family now.

I also loved Violet and Isobel in the car. Of course Violet takes everything as a compliment!

PumpkinSpice

PumpkinSpice

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

I hope they give Thomas something more interesting to do next season, because at this point he's so out of step with the tone of the show that it almost feels like he stumbled onto the set from an Agatha Christie mystery. Everyone else is just getting on with life, dealing with fairly normal ups and downs (except for the ongoing Bates melodrama), and he's in the background trying to be some Machiavellian master manipulator, and it just doesn't work because there's really nothing juicy enough going on to warrant that behaviour.

ETA: I just thought of something. How awesome would it be if they sent Thomas to Munich to find out what happened to Gregson? That would be the perfect use of his skills and I'm sure he could winkle out the truth within a week.

Edited by PumpkinSpice, Dec 27, 2013 @ 8:51 AM.

Miss Mew

Miss Mew

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 10:12 AM

Making Charles Blake the heir of an estate & title is such a predictable and unoriginal move. Since, JF didn’t really bothered to develop the three suitors’ characters much, they are essentially the same guy now. And Charles is basically a new version of Matthew.

I hate the whole “he’s on our side now” speech from Mary. He would’ve supported and helped her with the estate even if he was just a government employee. Being an heir doesn’t change what he does for a living or his views. It just feels like JF couldn’t possibly have Mary end up with someone from the middle class. 

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

I enjoyed parts of the Christmas Special but found it to be disappointing overall. I agree that the lack of resolution to various storylines and subplots was frustrating. In addition to that I felt irritated with several of the characters so all in all I can't say that I'm aching for new episodes even though I'm happy to know that the show will return for a fifth season. 

Stuff I liked:

Carson and Mrs Hughes walking hand in hand while Carson is fussing. I loved that they ended the episode with that scene.

Daisy showing how capable she is when it comes to her duties.

Everything with Rose and the parties she attended. I liked the appearance of James Fox as a fortune hunter and I liked the snippets of conversation that we'd get at the various parties. I loved Martha speaking to Madeline's father so frankly. 

I thought there was a surprising amount of humor in the episode overall and liked things like Cora and Rose admitting that they plotted to make sure that Violet wouldn't be the one to present Rose. I also liked Violet's line about how Isobel was more interested in reading her book than making conversation with Violet. Even though Violet didn't really want to talk to Isobel for the whole train ride she still resented being shut out like that and I found that to be amusing for some reason. Other small moments that were funny to me include Martha's scene with Freda Dudley Ward and Harold attempting to engage the Prince of Wales in conversation.

The fashion. The fashion was half of the reason I enjoyed the episode. I thought everyone looked great, Rose especially. 

Stuff I didn't like:

So now Charles Blake is the heir to an estate? FFS! I can't even with this shit and I mostly agree with kavan30013's thoughts on why neither of Mary's suitors are working for me. I totally agree that they seem to serve no purpose apart from being around to tell Mary how great she is. I have no idea why I should care about either one of these guys and I find it to almost be a non-storyline. 

Sarah Fucking Bunting. I am so over this character and I really resent that this is the character they're giving Tom for a love interest. She's just not likeable IMO and hate all of the time we're spending on her when we could have Tom doing other things. I liked his scenes with Edith and I would much rather have had more scenes of Tom in London than dealing with the rude Miss Bunting and Thomas the Tattletale. 

I hate Thomas. Tom essentially gives him the night off and he uses that as an excuse to complain? He's such an asshole I don't know how any of the characters can stand him. He's a bully and I find it frustrating that he still has a job with them when all he does is cause problems for everyone.

After all of that build up it's Ivy who gets to go and start an exciting new life in America? Daisy seems almost incapable of taking action when it comes to her own life and I find that sad. She seems like she's inclined to turn everything down. Whether it's William or the farm or trying for the hotel position or this new job offer with Cora's brother--she just seems stuck IMO.

Isobel's been single for over a decade and she isn't interested in the nice Lord Merton? Why the hell not?

Mary frustrated me during several scenes in the episode. I can understand her not wanting to share a room with Edith (I doubt Edith would have wanted to share with her and would have made her own comments had she been asked) but I wish somebody would have told her that since she can't be bothered to share then she'll be the one up at the top with the servants. I also hated her changing attitude with Bates. What the hell ever with her conscience pinging or not whenever it suits her purpose. 

Edith...I have sympathy for her but I do feel bad for the adoptive family in Switzerland. They've probably already bonded with the baby so I find this all to be sad and frustrating because I'm not convinced that Edith's plan is a good or healthy one and can see it having the potential to backfire spectacularly to the point where both Edith and the child will end up having to deal with the negative consequences.

I thought the American valet sounding a bit like Dean O'Banion of Boardwalk Empire and I found that to be distracting.

Of course Violet takes everything as a compliment!

Re: Violet's line about turning cutting remarks into compliments--Isobel did that very thing one of the first times they met. Isobel takes something that Violet says as a compliment and Violet says "Oh, I must have said it wrong." Violet's comment to Isobel in this episode irritated me because she doesn't seem to recognize that even if Isobel does follow her advice with stuff like this that Violet would still find something to call her out about. IDK I didn't enjoy the writing for Violet as much as I usually do and felt this way for the bulk of the fourth season. 

Edited by avaleigh, Dec 27, 2013 @ 6:30 PM.

Claire999

Claire999

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

"Using Carson's speech about Daisy really overplayed the whole non-relationship which didn't even reach the stage of a kiss."

What was his speech?

RCTina

RCTina

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

You know that part where Edith tells Aunt Rosamund that she can't possibly know what she's going through because she's never been a mother?  And Rosamund telling her she knows more than Edith thinks?

Anybody else think that maybe Rosamund went through the same thing - that she got pregnant, went away to have her baby and then it was adopted?

Nora1992

Nora1992

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

While Mary continues to find geese that lay a plethora of golden eggs, can life get worse for Edith? This is my prediction for season 13 of Downton Abbey: Edith FINALLY finds happiness and, to celebrate with her American grandmother, she and her new husband/family take the Hindenburg across the ocean, in 1937. Oh, the humanity!!!!

Second option: Downton Abbbey season 19: Edith's daughter (and everyone else) never learn the truth of her parentage. Master George falls for the comely pig maid and, like his father, cannot imagine love outside of marriage. Obviously, no one is pleased by the alliance, especially not the prospective mother-in-law, Lady Mary. She discovers that she can reconcile herself to the pig maid for a DIL, but will NEVER accept Edith's daughter as being good enough for the future heir to Downton.

But seriously, what I think Fellowes will do to Edith next season;
1) the unrecorded custody arrangement will fail because Farmer Drewe will die and the widow will take the children out if Yorkshire (but, Mary will get Ewe Tree farm back in the Downton fold). Since Edith suffers while things work out for Mary, this seems very, very likely.
2) Gregson is not dead, but suffers from amnesia and can't remember life after his marriage to Lizzie, who is really sane.
3) Gregson is dead, Lizzie is not a lunatic and exposes the affair to wreak revenge on Edith. That power of attorney? Lizzie Gregson's barracuda solicitor has it thrown out of court.
4) All of the above. Into each family, some unhappiness will occur. It is so much more convenient when that misfortune is limited to one person.

PumpkinSpice

PumpkinSpice

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

3) Gregson is dead, Lizzie is not a lunatic and exposes the affair to wreak revenge on Edith. That power of attorney? Lizzie Gregson's barracuda solicitor has it thrown out of court.

Thanks for reminding me about this. Edith and Rosamund talked a lot about Gregson's alleged will (I don't think Edith has ever seen it) and assumed that Edith would get a hefty inheritance from it, but what is the likelihood of this? I can't even imagine a smooth and discreet handover of Gregson's money to Edith. I don't have any legal training, but it seems reasonable, especially in this time period, that Gregson's legal wife could contest a will that leaves everything to his mistress. Also, I'm sure the Crawleys would be so desperate to avoid a scandal that they wouldn't let Edith try to fight back. After all, they don't want to hurt Mary's chances of getting married to another wealthy toff.

myrenae

myrenae

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 8:50 PM

The only thing that gives me hope for Edith is Tom's little talk to her at the end, saying "we need to fight our corner or they will roll right over us." I think/hope he was talking about everyone there:  the family, ghastly manipulative women, and bullying resentful former colleagues.

JF has given Tom a Hell of a time, but I think he likes him.  And having him on her side will help Edith.  He can defend her against Mary like he did when she made that oh-so-hilarious joke at the breakfast table about Edith going on a "man hunt" for her missing and maybe dead lover (a joke which her suitors heard but apparently didn't turn them off of her).

I would like to see them team up.  Maybe not romantically, but as allies and bro/sis.  Now that Mary has her men, she doesn't need Tom any more and can discard him.  Then Edith will get him.  Lucky her, especially if it DOES turn romantic.  If you ask me she'd be getting the better end of the deal.

PumpkinSpice, of course Edith may not embroil the family in such a scandal!  And if it were to impact the royals, so much the worse!  

If it were Mary, of course, it would be a different story.  Who cares about the impact on Edith's marital prospects?  She's a lost cause, after all.

Edited by myrenae, Dec 27, 2013 @ 8:57 PM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 8:53 PM

The only potentially interesting thing with Blake turning out to be a mini Matthew is the very slight possibility that there will be a storyline where they actually do loose Downton and Mary becomes mistress (with another title) of a smaller estate and little heir George has a younger brother with a lesser title but more money and a better estate. That will almost certainly never happen though. He's a Matthew 2.0 with inheritances coming out of his ears every time its convenient.

Uh Daisy, obviously SS is not leaving so she couldn't go to America, but I felt sorry for the little kitchen drab in S1, now, not so much. She's continually turned down opportunities to improve or at least change her lot in several different ways. IF she ends up as a kitchen "assistant" forever its her own fault.

Thomas? Any shades of grey or sympathy are gone. Yeah your life is probably never going to be great, though it could be a lot worse after the revelations to every single person about being gay, but to do so much wickedness in that house and still have but the standards of the servant class a great job? Words fail me.

I do feel for Edith's plight, its a really terrible situation to be in. Obviously she's brought it back for drama purposes but seriously. In the 1920's she's not really doing her child a favour, getting her fostered locally and probably peering at it as often as possible so as to let any observant person make a connection.

I don't have any legal training, but it seems reasonable, especially in this time period, that Gregson's legal wife could contest a will that leaves everything to his mistress. Also, I'm sure the Crawleys would be so desperate to avoid a scandal that they wouldn't let Edith try to fight back. After all, they don't want to hurt Mary's chances of getting married to another wealthy toff.

I think the chances are there would be a big (if more discreet) scandal even if his wife didn't contest it, since it would inevitably have everyone knowing he HAD a wife but left his estate to someone he was "friends" with.

But I've never looked for any type of logic in Edith's storylines since they didn't even question sending her to America with her rich, "brassy" grandmother as defender after the abandonment at the wedding.

As for Tom "a nice middle class girl" wouldn't be so bad for his circumstances within the Crawley family (which he is definitely now a part of) even if they would get sniffy. But certainly not Sarah Bunting who is Edna in different stripes. I know this show doesn't like to go in to the men shortage following WW1 but even if he doesn't go for any currently known character he could go for a more liberal bend gentry type without her being a brow beating lecturer, snob in her own way.

Edited by Featherhat, Dec 27, 2013 @ 8:59 PM.

myrenae

myrenae

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

My hope is they have made her so thoroughly unlikable and ghastly so if he turns down the "nice middle class girl" and goes for a Posh one, no one will fault him for being a sellout.

Because she might be middle class, but she's not in the least bit nice.

If Tom has not pursued a relationship with her (and he hasn't), I don't think it's just because he fears the family would not approve.  They probably wouldn't (certainly not Violet), but that's just part of the problem.  The other is he just doesn't seem to be attracted to her or to enjoy her company.  If he wants her but is afraid to act on it, why haven't we seen him give her a discrete look of longing or lust now and again?  Or even an admiring smile, other than that one time in the village?

We've seen Tom when he is attracted to a woman.  He doesn't tend to hide his feelings well. The way he looked at Sybil?  Heck, he seemed more attracted to Edna, even after she returned to the house.  That's why he was so scared of her.  I don't think he was scared for Sarah to go upstairs because he didn't think he could restrain himself.  It was just because he didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea.  

That's how it seems to me anyway.  After a three-episode arc of interactions I haven't seen any budding romantic chemistry, meeting of the minds, or even warmth between them.  The pattern has been:  they run into each other and end up spending some time together.  With few exceptions, there is almost no mutual dialogue.  She challenges him with questions, requests, snark, statements, or outright accusations.  And she seems to think he should have to answer for himself.

She's a teacher all right.  And she wants to school him.

Edited by myrenae, Dec 27, 2013 @ 9:49 PM.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

As long as viewership stays, by dragging things out, JF actually has the next season all laid out in terms of the major storylines:

- Anna will find out Bates was in London; maybe someone like Thomas will find out and use it to his advantage; the viewers will find out what Bates was doing in London; Then, it will be a search for evidence to exonerate Bates.  If Mary chooses Charles Blake, they can also have Gillingham threaten Mary with what he knows.

- Edith's plan will backfire in the middle of the season, and there will be threats to the secret as some characters become suspicious and maybe one will even find out.  Maybe Branson.

Those two will create most of the tension in the season.  And then we have...

- Mary's choice will probably be towards the end of next season, but in the meantime, there will be more back and forth.  I am guessing Charles Blake will be forced to embrace his upper classness, and Mary will help to guide him through that "arduous" process.

- Baxter's secret will be revealed somehow, which can drag Mosely and a few other characters into it, versus Thomas.  Maybe this is where they can use Cora.

- New kitchen maid or lack of one can bring in some new drama for Mrs. Patmore and Daisy.

- Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes may continue dancing around the idea of becoming more

All they need is a subplot for Robert (more estate issues?) and Rose (another new love affair?), and the season is practically written.

Edited by Camera One, Dec 27, 2013 @ 10:43 PM.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 3:19 AM

Uh Daisy, obviously SS is not leaving so she couldn't go to America, but I felt sorry for the little kitchen drab in S1, now, not so much. She's continually turned down opportunities to improve or at least change her lot in several different ways. IF she ends up as a kitchen "assistant" forever its her own fault.

I don't think she will be a kitchen assistant forever - she isn't a kitchen assistant now. She is assistant cook, Mrs Patmore's right hand man, so to speak, and that, right there, is her career path. She has actively chosen to pursue this career, learning under Mrs Patmore to eventually become head cook herself, whether at Downton or somewhere else. It may not be the life some of us would choose, but it's the choice Daisy has made. She likes her job, she knows that she's good at it, and it does have prospects.

If she were still scullery maid after all these years, that would be a cause for concern. But she isn't. She's come a long, long way since season one and is clearly heading toward being head cook someday - and a good one. Why criticise her if that's what she wants? If she doesn't want to go to America and doesn't want to give up her job to go work on a farm, that's her choice to make. She seemed perfectly content with her choice, and it was an active choice, one that she made by herself for herself - which in itself is a sign of growth after she's been railroaded or hand-held into previous major life decisions over the years.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 3:36 AM

She definitely seemed at peace with her choice.  It's just a shame we never really saw what she was thinking, or how she felt, or the moment when that realization came, that she wanted to stay at Downton.

RCTina

RCTina

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 6:52 AM

Even if she stays with cooking, it doesn't mean she'll stay in service.  Maybe she'll work in a restaurant/hotel  or even open up her own place.  

Andorra97

Andorra97

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 6:56 AM

My prediction for the next season is, that Tom will find out about Edith's Baby. He's the agent, Drewe is his tenant farmer, something will happen and Tom will figure it out. The last two episodes surprisingly showed an increasing screentime for them and Tom getting protective of Edith. I think Tom will offer to marry her. She'll refuse first, but will agree in the end.

I think the talk between Tom and Isobel was prophetic. Tom "will there be another Earl's daughter keen on taking me on?" while he looked across the table at ? Rose or Edith. We don't know, because they didn't show us.

The "nice working girl" option won't work out, because the working class girl in question just isn't nice and weirdly enough has more problems to accept him and his life situation, than the whole posh family.

If he would marry Edith, Tom would be no longer an outsider. He is a member of the family anyway, there would be no more conflict about his origins. They could still live at Downton.

Edith is an editor now, Tom was a writer once. He could help her with her decisions. Edith has gotten more and more modern and political, Tom has shown interest to go back into politics. It would be a good match.

The only thing missing is sexual chemistry. There has been no sign for it. Edith is completely different from Sybil, or at least, the side we saw of her so far, has been completely different. But she was talking about how "freeing" it must feel to be more open about feelings and that she envies people who can be that way. Maybe Tom will losen her up a bit?

I must admit, I would have never thought of them as a pair, but the more I think about it, the more interesting I find the idea. It would be a clean and interesting solution to both storylines and offers a lot of opportunities for romance and drama, so I must admit I'm intrigued.

myrenae

myrenae

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 8:58 AM

My prediction is:  Tom as the Agent will visit The Pig Man, Mrs. Pig and the three (now four) Piglets on a fairly regular basis.  How will ask after all the children and be introduced to the new addition (the foundling from Drewe's "friend").  

At the dinner table Robert or Mary will ask after the pigs (the actual pigs) and Tom will end up telling them about the adorable new baby.  He will describe her in exact detail, reddish curls and hazel eyes and all, right down to the shape of her nose and the unique way she toddles around.  Neither Cora nor Robert will raise an eyebrow and the topic will change to curtains.

Later we will see Cora arranging some pictures on a table, including an 1890s early photo of Edith as a baby that of course we have never seen before.  With reddish curls and hazel eyes and the same nose as Baby Pig.  Tom will look at the picture and get one of those stunned "confused bird" looks on his face.

And then he will put it all together.  He will ask "Um, so that's Edith as a baby?"

Cora will look at him blankly and say "Yes, wasn't she adorable?  Is something bothering you?  Well, I'm off the the dressmaker.  Oh, and please ask Mrs. Patmore to make a basket for the Pig Family.  I am sure they could use it, what with the new baby and all."

Edited by myrenae, Dec 28, 2013 @ 11:55 AM.

Andorra97

Andorra97

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

Later we will see Cora arranging some pictures on a table, including an 1890s early photo of Edith as a baby that of course we have never seen before.  Tom will look at the picture and get one of those stunned "confused bird" looks on his face.

You're a genious!! LOL

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

I already feel sorry for baby George who will likely die in WWII in 20 years.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 1:27 PM

I can't tell the difference between Mary's suitors, so I have no way to get emotionally invested in that story line. They are both basically the same guy to me.

I must not have been paying close enough attention, because I had absolutely no idea who the dark-haired woman who brought the Prince to the ball was. She called him by his first name, so she must be pretty familiar to him, but she was also giggling about the letter with the other two women, so she is surely not his wife/girlfriend/whatever. Is she his sister?

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

The woman with the Prince was Freda Dudley Ward, she was his mistress at the time. She was married. He was not, but she was telling Rose about the Prince's letter to her which started that heist with Sampson and why Robert had his conniption. 

Edited by Thena, Dec 28, 2013 @ 1:37 PM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

Ah, I thought there was another woman. When Rose was at the table with Sampson, I thought she had two friends with her, the married woman and then another woman who looked exactly like the married woman, but seemed more familiar with the Prince. 

Andorra97

Andorra97

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 2:39 PM

No she had her friend Madeline with her, who was Lord Aygarth's daughter. He forced her to get Harold Levinson's attention, because they're poor and he wants her to marry rich.

The other woman at the table was Freda. She was the one who's letter got stolen.