Lip Service

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

302 replies to this topic

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

I'm glad to see we've left Ed's unrequited love bullshit behind and it speaks to Tess's eduring loyalty that she's still close with a guy who sort of betrayed her.

But should it really be considered betrayal, though, since all the guy did was fall in love with her?

I'm probs the only person who still really likes Cat. I think she's a good person whose letting her emotions get away with her and acting like a dickhead. Last season's love triange was one of the few which ever worked for me. I see the chemistry and affection Cat has with Sam and the history and friendship she has with Frankie. Ultimately I'm on team Sam just because Frankie is super annoying and emo and cannot be trusted. But even though Cat is acting reprehensively I still get where's she coming from. And precisely because she's a good person the guilt is eating her apart, whereas someone like Jay really would keep fucking them both with adandon.

Nah, I still like Cat. Maybe more so because I like her with Frankie. I definitely view Cat as a good person who is doing bad things right now. As I stated before, I'm not liking her cheating on Sam one bit. I don't think most in the Frankie/Cat camp are. It goes without saying that Sam is a great catch and doesn't deserve this. It could also be pondered whether anyone deserves to be cheated on. But I'll say that if Sam were an all-around horrible girlfriend, treating Cat like crap day in and day out, or just on most days, then I probably wouldn't object to the notion that she deserves to be cheated on. But that isn't the case here. And it's not that Frankie can't also be a great catch. After all, she is making an effort to change for Cat, and, I think, also for herself, but she has more maturing to do and more to prove in the girlfriend department. Perhaps unfortunately, I think she can only be a good girlfriend to Cat. Right now, however, she isn't even Cat's girlfriend. She's her mistress!

BUT WHATEVER YOU GUYS, WHAT IN THE GOOD NAME OF FUCK IS THIS SPOILER?

I want to talk about it, but I'm not sure how to put in spoilers bars in the new system. Suffice to say, my mind is blown, and not in the good way.

Just click on the Other Styles tab and hit spoiler and then add and type what you want to say.

Alternatively, you could try adding the spoiler bars manually. It works for me. I wasn't aware that a new system is in place. But the spoiler bars work the same, as they do for all online forums.

Lasted edited to add in holeybubushka's full quote about Cat's behavior.

Edited by Billowarn, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:17 PM.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

• Interests:I'm a musician and artist from Alaska.

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

I don't hate Cat. There's a big part of me that still likes her. I'm just really angry with her right now and i want her to own up and grow up. But yeah, she's the character I identified with the most at first and after spending all this time with her I just can't bring myself to hate her.

So, on a non spoilery topic. What do you all think they're going to do with Lexy? The coke thing aside, I watched the ep again and she's really growing on me. I kind of feel that they've set her up to go Sam's way while Tess stands back and pines. I initially thought Lexy with Sam would be strange, but this is TV and besides, Maybe something different is what Sam needs. Lexy doesn't seem like the type to constantly lie and jerk her around. That could be refreshing.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

So, on a non spoilery topic. What do you all think they're going to do with Lexy? The coke thing aside, I watched the ep again and she's really growing on me. I kind of feel that they've set her up to go Sam's way while Tess stands back and pines. I initially thought Lexy with Sam would be strange, but this is TV and besides, Maybe something different is what Sam needs. Lexy doesn't seem like the type to constantly lie and jerk her around. That could be refreshing.

Well, given that spoiler, I definitely think we are going to see more Lexy/Sam scenes. Maybe they'll be friends to start which would be good because all of the other characters are Cat's friends so it would be nice for her to have someone in her corner. Then by season's end they will hook up. That's my prediction anyway.

Or they could surprise me and have her pursue Tess, whom she seems to have things in common. Much more so than Tess's current flame. This would be my preferred choice as I have always had a soft spot for Tess. She reminds me a lot of myself. Lexy and Tess seemed to get on really well one on one whereas her scene with Sam was smaller and I couldn't really get a good read on their chemistry. I know Lexy says she's interested in Sam but it doesn't have to play out that way. Sam might not be up for immediately jumping into something with another woman after everything with Cat anyway. Especially with someone who on the surface seems like she might be similar to Frankie. And Sam doesn't seem like a one night stand person to me either so IDK.

I'd be happy with them pairing Lexy with either woman. I just don't want her to have to much interaction with Frankie. I wasn't a fan of the writers making her one of Frankie's cast-offs right off the bat.

Edited by Turkish, Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:16 AM.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

I agree. I'd be interested in Lexy with either one. And I think she might fit better with Tess. I just want Sam to end the series on an actual positive note this time.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

Well, like I stated before, I don't know what to make of Lexy. I need to see her some more. She's good-looking, charming and appears to have more depth to her than would appear. I mentioned before that I don't yet see any romantic/sexual chemistry between her and the potential love interests. I'm hoping that will change, since I'm going to need a couple to ship for this show if I'm to enjoy it as much as I could in light of that spoiler. I stand by being open to seeing Lexy romantically/sexually paired with Frankie (despite their seeming quite similar and maybe needing to be opposites if a romance between them is to work) or with Tess. If Lexy's not to be with Frankie in that way, I'd like to see them as friends. They've already began to bond as friends and I actually see good friendship chemistry between them. Thing is, though, could they keep sex out of their friendship? I don't want a friends-with-benefits thing going on there or them having this pull that will lead them to have sex (remember how, in the club, Frankie was thinking about bedding her when on the prowl for a woman after Cat and Sam had left?). The reason I don't want them fucking while they're friends is because if Lexy dates Tess, I don't want there being a possibility that Lexy could have sex with Frankie. Tess doesn't need to be yet another person that Frankie hurts. And given that spoiler, it's safe to say that Frankie will be back on the same destructive, "screw as many women as I can" path that she was on before and probably wouldn't even stop to consider Tess's feelings. I definitely feel that the writers have Frankie and Tess living together as a setup for some type of drama among friends to unfold.

I just don't see Lexy being a good fit for Sam at all.

Last edited to fix a typo in "Last edited" sentence, LOL.

Edited by Billowarn, Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:12 AM.

holeybubushka

holeybubushka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

But should it really be considered betrayal, though, since all the guy did was fall in love with her?

I'm very fond of Ed and think he's a good guy. However tess has always been honest and open with him and instead of returning it, he spent a fair chunk of their friendship trying to conspire a way for them to be together.Then when she's at her lowest, he blurts out that he loves her, thus forever marring a whole host of memories Tess thought were platonic. It hurts whenever someon you trust implicitly may have ulterior motives and I would think it would take them a while before they reach the level of emotional intimacy, for both their sakes, actually. Like I said though, Ed is a great guy and I'm glad that storyline is over because he deserves to find some awesome girl.

Spoiler

I'm not sold on Lexie so I'm not about to pair her up with anyone. What I can say is someone needs to get Finn outta there squad. I watched the first episode again and boy, are her and Tess unsuited.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:46 AM

I understand what you mean about Ed. You explained it well. And, yeah, I've been clear that I'm very upset/sad about that spoiler, especially, like you mentioned for
Spoiler
And although the shock has died down for me, I'm sure that the emotions will be full swing again once I see the episode. With the exception of Turk who wanted to know upfront, I don't know if I've made it better or worse for you posters who didn't know about the spoiler until now. I know that it would have hit harder had we all seen the episode before being spoiled.

Glad that you resolved your spoiler tag issue, by the way. And much agreed on Finn (I think it's "Fin," judging by an episode summary or something similar that I saw, but oh well).

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

Hey all, Here's a new teaser from the BBC.
My link
That's just one of many reasons I dislike high heels. And that is some beautiful forest they have there.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

LOL, yeah, I'd already seen it and was just about to watch it again. Here's the AfterEllen.com recap for Episode 1 for those who haven't read it yet and/or are interested in reading it. It's definitely interesting to read the comments section and see how viewers agree or disagree with the recappers.

Edited by Billowarn, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:18 PM.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Oh yeah. Sarah and Lee's recaps are a hilarious highlight of the series for me. They're terrific. Scribegrrrl is legendary though and I think hers is even funnier. I can't unsee the Jay as Stanley Tucci thing now.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

Adding on to the links, here's Cat's Monologue, posted today. The BBC three were apparently saving it. It pulls at the heart strings, in light of
Spoiler

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

That's really nice. Very emotional.
Spoiler

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

All I can do to lighten the mood is offer this "We're on Facebook" Lip Service parody by AfterEllen.com.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Boy am I feeling raw today. That episode was devastating. I took a little seven mile walk in the evening to help myself feel better, but it didn't work very well (though I probably shouldn't have listened to Brandi Carlile the whole time). Anyhow, I have work and don't have time to post fully on it now but I will this evening. That could be late for you all though since I live in Alaska.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:12 PM.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Finally, a comment. I've been waiting for others to comment before I stated anything about this episode because my comment would have just merged with the previous post.

Since I've stated most of what I have to state about this episode at other sites, I'll just keep it brief and state that seeing Cat get hit by that car made my heart leap out of my chest, even knowing that it was coming. It happened in such an abrupt way that I really wasn't expecting it at that exact moment.

Not surprisingly, I'm even more of a Frankie/Cat shipper now, and I loved the powerful performances of the actors, especially Heather Peace (Sam), Fiona Button (Tess), and last but not least...Ruta Gedmintas (Frankie). When Tess tells Frankie that Cat has died, that was a very powerful scene and Frankie's emanating pain just about ripped my heart out. The pity sex she initiated with Sadie at the end was understandable but predictable. This is what Frankie does when she's in pain -- uses sex as a coping mechanism. While I know that she's sexually attracted to Sadie, Sadie could have been an obese, foul-smelling man and Frankie still would have had sex with him. This wasn't about sexual attraction, which, again, is why I never took her having sex with Jay seriously. And I must additionally state that I really loved Sadie this episode. She's turning into a well-rounded character and has become a good friend to Frankie. I've even been thinking that she's in love with Frankie. I've thought that since last season during Tess's party, when Sadie told Frankie that it wasn't really her (Sadie) that Frankie wanted.

And Sam. Just. Oh poor Sam.

Like the rest of you have probably done, I read Harriet Braun's post about why she killed off Cat. I noted before the dramatic opportunities that killing off major characters offer writers, and Braun confirmed my belief about her choosing that over sending Cat away. But, like a lot of others, I can't help but feel that sending Cat away would have been just as believable. Cat was dealing with a lot and it would have been perfectly understandable that she leave to sort out her life and reflect on the pain she's caused people who are dear to her. I believe that Fraser would have eventually returned to the role of Cat, even if temporarily. I also don't buy that Braun wouldn't have had one of these couples -- Frankie and Cat or Sam and Cat -- end up together in some form. Maybe she wouldn't have had them end up together at the very end of the series' run (as in the show being completely over with), but I doubt that neither couple wouldn't have been together again at some point in the series if all were to stay on it. I mean, are we to believe that Cat would have stayed on the show never desiring and/or having sex with Frankie again?

One thing that has surprised me about fan reaction to this episode is that I'm seeing more Frankie/Cat shippers speak out about how upset they are that their couple won't be together. I'd expected to see just as many Sam/Cat fans expressing their outrage. Maybe Cat was too damaged in most of their eyes with regard to how she treated Sam by having this affair with Frankie? I don't know. I know that a lot of Sam/Cat fans are speaking out, but I mean specifically about their love for their couple.

Lasted edited to tweak and to add in that last line above.

Edited by Billowarn, Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:24 PM.

x1013x

x1013x

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

Alright I might sound like a heartless ass but I really don't care that Cat is dead. Its kind of a relief actually. Her character was just working my last nerve. If she wanted to fuck around with Frankie she should have let Sam go. I have no sympathy for the situation she got herself into. Ideally it would have been nice for Cat to leave Sam for Frankie because then Sam could move on to someone who actually wants her.

Now I do care about how her death affects everyone else except Frankie. Amazingly enough it was Ed's eulogy that got to me the most. I can understand Sam's need to do something or blame someone. Thank you Lexy for being around to talk some sense into her when she wasn't thinking clearly. She was grieving but still doing the things that needed to be done. I hope finding that piece of wood helps her realize what a fool Cat was making of her.

And then there is Frankie. What a selfish emo brat. Seriously, is she like 14?? With her it was all about how no one knew what she meant to Cat. Um, hi the woman you claimed to love so much is dead leaving behind more people than just you. The little hissy fit when Sam dared to give a eulogy at her girlfriend's funeral. What a damn attention whore. " I was Cat's one true love. I can't stand to hear other people talk about how much they loved her. That should be me up there with everyone feeling bad for me. Gah. Life is so unfair. Who wants to pity fuck me?" Bitch please.

Glad the triangle is over.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:27 AM

I've been playing it over in my mind all day and I'm still pretty messed up about it all. We've already posted about our real world problems with the decision to kill Cat off in terms of viewership and Fans of Cat/Frankie and Cat/Sam. I've thought and still think this was the wrong way to go about things. so I'm just going to post about the episode itself how it affects the story.

All my problems aside, this was a really impressive piece of television. I've watched it twice now and selected scenes a few more times. The accident scene just hits me in the guts every time. Even after knowing it was coming. And the tone of it all feels so right. Not melodramatic. Just horribly real. And another thing about it I find interesting is how the impotent anger you feel about losing someone who you thought would be around forever, kind of blends together with my anger at the show-runners. There's nothing you can do about it so you just have to go on.

All the acting is terrific. I think Heather Peace was the best, but I admit I could be biased. I felt for them all though. Yes, even Frankie.

Sam is so messed up right now but I don't know if finding out the truth about Cat would help her get over it, or screw her up more. The number one thing I'm dreading going forward is finding out how low they're going to drag Sam down. She really needs to open up to Lexy and accept her help before her life is wrecked even further.

Speaking of Lexy, I'm now officially in love. Anna Skellern is doing a great job. From the teaser pics and videos I didn't think that much of her, but that has completely changed. I feel kind of bad for her though, because she was just looking for a room to rent and now she's in the middle trying to help all these grieving people, which is what she already has to deal all day at the hospital. Also, I'm sorry Tess, but you need to move on because there's not a shred of doubt for me now that Lexy and Sam should to be together. Lexy obviously wants Sam and Sam needs Lexy. Simple as that.

Tess was wonderful as usual. I don't know what she's going to do without Cat. Something tells me Frankie Is going to be worthless as a friend for awhile. I love her and Ed's friendship because they need each other more than ever. And man, Ed killed me in the funeral scene.

I'm sorry to see Jay go,but I expected it would happen as a consequence of Cat dying, since without her he doesn't have much point in the show. Emun Elliott really grew on me though and now I take notice when I see him in things. Even bit parts like in Game of Thrones.

Lastly, Sadie is getting fleshed out nicely and I like her more and more. I'm not sure though why Frankie would push Tess away in favor of her other than the fact that they're both so screwed up. And I didn't like how Fin was given the boot off screen but I guess they were under time constraints.

One thing that has surprised me about fan reaction to this episode is that I'm seeing more Frankie/Cat shippers speak out about how upset they are that their couple won't be together. I'd expected to see just as many Sam/Cat fans expressing their outrage. Maybe Cat was too damaged in most of their eyes with regard to how she treated Sam by having this affair with Frankie? I don't know. I know that a lot of Sam/Cat fans are speaking out, but I mean specifically about their love for their couple.

Yeah well, for me it's like I've said, I'm over Cat and Sam Together so I'm not upset at her being killed for that reason. I'm upset at Cat dying because I love her and I wanted her to get herself straightened out. If Cat had come clean with Sam, I might have enjoyed her and Frankie's love scenes. As it stands though I had a hard time bringing myself to watch them. Poignant as they may be.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:30 AM.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

And then there is Frankie. What a selfish emo brat. Seriously, is she like 14?? With her it was all about how no one knew what she meant to Cat. Um, hi the woman you claimed to love so much is dead leaving behind more people than just you. The little hissy fit when Sam dared to give a eulogy at her girlfriend's funeral. What a damn attention whore. " I was Cat's one true love. I can't stand to hear other people talk about how much they loved her. That should be me up there with everyone feeling bad for me. Gah. Life is so unfair. Who wants to pity fuck me?" Bitch please.

LOL! Though I love Frankie and love Frankie/Cat, I understand where you're coming on this. Still, I imagine if I were in Frankie's shoes. Cat is the woman she loved like no other, the love of her life (if it's any indication how she treated other sexual partners, and people in general, as just "there," but Cat as the person she'd do anything for), and she can't even express that in a true way without getting (rightfully) scrutinized for it. I'd likely be feeling the same way. Only difference is that I wouldn't say it. I'd get my ass up to that funeral, pay my respects and suffer in silence. And, with the exception of telling Sadie how she felt, Frankie did suffer in silence. It's not like she wants her love affair out in the open for everyone to criticize Cat. If she was as much of an attention whore as she could be, she would have wanted Tess to tell everyone about their great love. Frankie wouldn't care if she got bitched out by Cat's family or Sam. So I believe she doesn't want it out there because she's protecting the image everyone (minus Jay and Tess) has of Cat.

Glad the triangle is over.

As we know, another one has already started. But I don't believe that there'll be as much interest in a love triangle from this show as there was for the Frankie/Cat/Sam one.

All my problems aside, this was a really impressive piece of television. I've watched it twice now and selected scenes a few more times. The accident scene just hits me in the guts every time. Even after knowing it was coming. And the tone of it all feels so right. Not melodramatic. Just horribly real. And another thing about it I find interesting is how the impotent anger you feel about losing someone who you thought would be around forever, kind of blends together with my anger at the show-runners. There's nothing you can do about it so you just have to go on.

WORD! I'm just not sure there'll be much for me to be interested in with regard to this show now. The other storylines are like side storylines to me. I like Tess, but I'm only a little interested in her being with Lexy romantically/sexually. I like Sam, but I'm not interested in her being with anyone romantically/sexually. Okay, maybe just a tiny bit of interest in seeing how things would be between her and Lexy. I love Frankie, but I'm not that interested in her becoming an official couple with Sadie (this time without there being a hidden agenda on Frankie's part) or Frankie starting a romance with anyone else. If Frankie has to be with anyone romantically/sexually, I'd prefer it be Sadie for now because they have history, as well as chemistry in some form (though mostly friendship chemistry to me). It just feels like a big piece of my reason for watching this show is now gone.

Speaking of Lexy, I'm now officially in love. Anna Skellern is doing a great job. From the teaser pics and videos I didn't think that much of her, but that has completely changed. I feel kind of bad for her though, because she was just looking for a room to rent and now she's in the middle trying to help all these grieving people, which is what she already has to deal all day at the hospital. Also, I'm sorry Tess, but you need to move on because there's not a shred of doubt for me now that Lexy and Sam should to be together. Lexy obviously wants Sam and Sam needs Lexy. Simple as that.

Yeah, I'm not in love with her (let's say "not yet" just in case), but I'm liking her better than the previous episode. This episode, she became more real/human, and I love that. I can now see her as being with Sam romantically/sexually and as better-matched with Sam than with Tess, although I'm still not too interested in that.

Lastly, Sadie is getting fleshed out nicely and I like her more and more. I'm not sure though why Frankie would push Tess away in favor of her other than the fact that they're both so screwed up. And I didn't like how Fin was given the boot off screen but I guess they were under time constraints.

I definitely feel that Frankie opened up to Sadie, and is starting to open up to Sadie more than the others, because she relates to Sadie more than the others. There's also that lovers connection they have, Sadie knowing her more intimately. Yes, even more intimately than Jay, given that she truly likes having sex with Sadie and given that they've experienced each other in that way various times, probably in just as many various ways.

About Jay leaving... Well, he could have stayed to serve as Frankie's good friend/wingman as he was in Season 1, but, since he's not as strong a character/presence as the others, I suppose they felt they could discard him without much, if any, backlash.

As for Fin... Same about the lack of backlash, but to a lesser degree.

On a funny, or horrifying, side note: Someone at AfterEllen.com suggested that Frankie and Sam become a romantic couple. *Shudders* Hopefully, that person was just joking. Hopefully, Harriet Braun has the sense enough to never go there.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I think that killing off Cat was the only way to go simply because neither Sam nor Frankie could move on if Cat had simply left town - they would have been in limbo. Besides the Cat I grew to like left the building once she played both Sam and Frankie. Sorry but if you love someone you don't lie/cheat on one nor do you ask them to wait while you plan a future with another. Hated the angst Cat - liked the insecure, quirky (not drugged out) and clumsy professional we saw early on.

I do like the growth of Sadie and hope that they keep Lexy respectable and professional. The show can use a good dose of maturity though I was put off by the Lexy/cocaine thing but otherwise she comes off ok. And yes, Lexy could be good for Sam but I think that she is destined for Tess.

Edited by spenserscampi, Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:03 PM.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

On a funny, or horrifying, side note: Someone at AfterEllen.com suggested that Frankie and Sam become a romantic couple. *Shudders* Hopefully, that person was just joking. Hopefully, Harriet Braun has the sense enough to never go there.

Yeah That would be horrifying, lol. I don't know why some people seem to enjoy pairings of characters with either nothing in common, or more frequently, real animosity between them. Sure, I can like some angry sex in my TV occasionally, but Frankie/ Sam is just so wrong.

I do like the growth of Sadie and hope that they keep Lexy respectable and professional. The show can use a good dose of maturity though I was put off by the Lexy/cocaine thing but otherwise she comes off ok. And yes, Lexy could be good for Sam but I think that she is destined for Tess.

As I've said, the cocaine thing bothered me too, but she was so much better in this episode. It really showed her professionalism and compassion. She's quite funny as well.

I don't really get that she and Tess are destined to be together. I think the show may play it up for drama, but all we've seen so far is Tess crushing on her silently. Lexy and Sam though have had a lot more meaningful interactions. She's definitely very attracted to Sam and feels really bad for what she's going through. Her job has already put them into close contact and could do so again in the future. And finally, I think she really could be what Sam's looking for. After her talk with Tess about sleeping with the wrong women, I think that unlike Cat, she actually is ready for a grown up relationship and I don't think she'd take Sam for granted. I think what Sam needs is someone who's truly on her side and someone who'll take care of her for once.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:45 PM.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

I think that killing off Cat was the only way to go simply because neither Sam nor Frankie could move on if Cat had simply left town - they would have been in limbo. Besides the Cat I grew to like left the building once she played both Sam and Frankie. Sorry but if you love someone you don't lie/cheat on one nor do you ask them to wait while you plan a future with another. Hated the angst Cat - liked the insecure, quirky (not drugged out) and clumsy professional we saw early on.

Let's say that Sam had found out about Cat's affair, which of course would have happened if Laura Fraser had stayed with the series. I feel that there is a good chance that Sam could have moved on, like many others have on television shows before her, after deciding that the person they love is in love with someone else. So if Cat had moved away soon after, Sam could have started a romance with someone else without holding out hope for her.

Frankie is the one who I wouldn't believe as truly being able to move on, just like she couldn't move on while away for two years. It would once again return to being about keeping people at a distance, romantically-speaking, and mainly about sex. As far as we know, Frankie's never had a girlfriend in the way that she once had Cat. She's not typically a monogamous/girlfriend person. Sam, on the other hand, I'm sure has had a real romantic relationship before Cat. And while some viewers would have wanted Frankie to truly love someone else while Cat is living in another region or country, the Frankie/Cat fans would still be holding out hope that she doesn't. In fact, with Cat gone in such a tragic way, I'm sure that most of them (including me) hope that no one on the series is written as coming as close to Cat's level in Frankie's heart. And I don't see how there's any more of a chance for Frankie to love someone as deeply as she loved Cat simply because Cat is dead. Cat will now be even more of a "What could have been?" factor in Frankie's mind and an untouchable/unattainable love type of thing. She may fall in love again, but that could have happened with Cat having moved away, and it doesn't mean that it'll be true love. If Frankie finds another that she loves deeply, it'll always be in the back of viewers' minds whether she loves that person more than she loved/loves Cat. Even if she were to declare that person as the love of her life.

As for Cat not truly loving either... Well, love and relationships are more complicated than that. People have been known to cheat on the ones they love and they have been known to be afraid to give themselves over completely to the ones they deeply love. To me, Cat loved Sam and was scared to death of revealing her affair with Frankie to Sam. She also loved Frankie, more so in my opinion, which is why it was so difficult not to get romantically/sexually involved with Frankie again. I feel that she felt she couldn't completely give herself over to Frankie because she's been through this with Frankie before. And what happened last time? Frankie left her. So I'm certain that the possibility that Frankie could leave her again was playing heavily on her mind. Keeping the affair going on for as long as she could was Cat's way of keeping Sam and making sure that she kept Frankie as well (for fear of Frankie leaving her/catching commitment phobia again). She, by all means and purposes, was determined to have her cake and eat it too. Not a good thing, but I completely understand how she got to that point. Like another poster in this thread said, this love triangle was very real and more grounded than some others we've seen on television.

But I wholeheartedly agree about keeping Lexy respectable and professional.

Yeah That would be horrifying, lol. I don't know why some people seem to enjoy pairings of characters with either nothing in common, or more frequently, real animosity between them. Sure, I can like some angry sex in my TV occasionally, but Frankie/ Sam is just so wrong.

The person who suggested it was serious, as it turns out (and you may have seen this if you checked Page 2 of the comments section for this episode at AfterEllen.com), but that person made clear that it's not something they'd want. They were speaking purely in terms of shock value.

I don't really get that she and Tess are destined to be together. I think the show may play it up for drama, but all we've seen so far is Tess crushing on her silently. Lexy and Sam though have had a lot more meaningful interactions. She's definitely very attracted to Sam and feels really bad for what she's going through. Her job has already put them into close contact and could do so again in the future. And finally, I think she really could be what Sam's looking for. After her talk with Tess about sleeping with the wrong women, I think that unlike Cat, she actually is ready for a grown up relationship and I don't think she'd take Sam for granted. I think what Sam needs is someone who's truly on her side and someone who'll take care of her for once.

Agreed. Although I do feel that Cat was ready for a grownup relationship. She was just originally waiting for Frankie to want one. And by the time Frankie did, Cat was already having a grownup relationship with Sam.

x1013x

x1013x

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

On a funny, or horrifying, side note: Someone at AfterEllen.com suggested that Frankie and Sam become a romantic couple.

Christ that has hints of Alice/Lara. God that was horrible.

ETA:

As we know, another one has already started. But I don't believe that there'll be as much interest in a love triangle from this show as there was for the Frankie/Cat/Sam one.

Is it too much to ask to let Sam have a girlfriend that isn't interested in someone else? From what we have seen so far the Lexy/Tess thing is one way, but if it becomes more I'm done. I was not entertained by the first triangle, so I'm not ready for another one. Hell they could put Lexy with Tess and let Sam have someone else.

Edited by x1013x, Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:37 PM.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

Well, love and relationships are more complicated than that.

absolutely but Cat's choice to try and finagle both relationships was purely selfish on her part. Furthermore with Frankie knowing about Sam's role but Sam being kept in the dark adds to the deceit. Frankie and to a lesser extent Cat get to chose their part in the triangle while Sam plays the genuinely loving and caring fool. The deceit also took away from the character of Cat. I get that things "happen" in real life but I really liked early Cat and wish that they could have played off of that instead of creating another angst filled Frankie type character.

I do hope that Lexy stays the course for Sam as someone who can "take care" of Sam on an even playing field. I liked Lexy's clumsy second meeting of Sam and especially her mature read of Sam when she was in front of the car driver's hospital room. Hopefully she will be the calming person that Sam will need as "the secret" unfolds.

All of that being said I also hope that they let the character of Frankie grow up a little as well. Get her out of the long angsty walk mode and let her move on.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

Is it too much to ask to let Sam have a girlfriend that isn't interested in someone else? From what we have seen so far the Lexy/Tess thing is one way, but if it becomes more I'm done. I was not entertained by the first triangle, so I'm not ready for another one. Hell they could put Lexy with Tess and let Sam have someone else.

Maybe it'll be a one-sided love triangle, where Lexy is only interested in having a romance with Sam...but Tess is longing after Lexy. Usually, a series doesn't just have a character longing after another without having that character getting the person they want (even if briefly), but, like Ed didn't get his heart's desire, maybe Tess won't either. If she does, it'll probably be a one-night stand type of thing. I hope they'd both regret it in that case, because I wouldn't want Tess to be utterly devastated by Lexy calling it a mistake (aside from adding dramatic value).

absolutely but Cat's choice to try and finagle both relationships was purely selfish on her part. Furthermore with Frankie knowing about Sam's role but Sam being kept in the dark adds to the deceit. Frankie and to a lesser extent Cat get to chose their part in the triangle while Sam plays the genuinely loving and caring fool. The deceit also took away from the character of Cat. I get that things "happen" in real life but I really liked early Cat and wish that they could have played off of that instead of creating another angst filled Frankie type character.

I know what you mean, and I certainly can't argue with that (aside from referring to Cat as sort of being like Frankie this season).

And, like you, I want Frankie to evolve beyond angst/doom and gloom (as long as it doesn't change her personality too much), which is why I was loving the effect that being in love with Cat had on her this season. She wasn't out having sex with random people, and was actually trying to be dependable. Even with Sadie, helping Sadie out with her financial issues and just talking with her on a friend level. But now, with Cat's death, Frankie is back at Square 1. A much deeper Square 1.

Last edited to tweak and to fix typo in this "last edited" line.

Edited by Billowarn, Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:06 PM.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:41 AM

I've stayed up way too late on work and such but I just noticed this was posted. So really quickly, here's Scribegrrrls new recap. She makes some good points. Now It's off to bed.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:01 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

Wow, so they actually killed Cat and did it early in the series as well. I knew it was coming but it still floored me as well. I'll miss her but I'm sure the show will soldier on without her though.

Both Sam and Frankie I felt sympathetic towards as well. Sucks to be both of them at the moment but Sam finding out about Frankie and Cat wasn't too shocking though.

Frankie's mum continues to be a horrible so and so but I did like that Sadie was there for her. For the most part, Sadie was a lot better in this episode than the opening one.

Tess and Finn's break up didn't even merit an onscreen one? Damn. Does she have a thing for Lexy now because I think there was a look at the start of the episode?

Lexy's pal is annoying but not as much as Nora though. Loved Lexy's scenes with Sam in this one.

Seems Jay isn't staying around anymore and I wonder if Ed will last much longer too, 9/10

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

...but Sam finding out about Frankie and Cat wasn't too shocking though.

I wouldn't say that we should state that Sam knows just yet. It's more like the seed has been planted for her to start thinking that way.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

Yeah, now Sam's going to start digging and questioning everything that's happened. I'm surprised She hasn't found the bracelet yet. You'd think when the hospital gave her Cats belongings she would have noticed since she wouldn't recognize it. And while we're at it, I'm surprised she never noticed Cats necklace is missing. You'd think the day or two after it went missing she would want to know why Cat wasn't wearing it anymore.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:38 PM.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

Compare what I stated here on Page 17:

Like the rest of you have probably done, I read Harriet Braun's post about why she killed off Cat. I noted before the dramatic opportunities that killing off major characters offer writers, and Braun confirmed my belief about her choosing that over sending Cat away. But, like a lot of others, I can't help but feel that sending Cat away would have been just as believable. Cat was dealing with a lot and it would have been perfectly understandable that she leave to sort out her life and reflect on the pain she's caused people who are dear to her. I believe that Fraser would have eventually returned to the role of Cat, even if temporarily. I also don't buy that Braun wouldn't have had one of these couples -- Frankie and Cat or Sam and Cat -- end up together in some form. Maybe she wouldn't have had them end up together at the very end of the series' run (as in the show being completely over with), but I doubt that neither couple wouldn't have been together again at some point in the series if all were to stay on it. I mean, are we to believe that Cat would have stayed on the show never desiring and/or having sex with Frankie again?

to what Braun stated in the comments section in response to viewers:

Serojay, Priceless1 and LFinny90, I can understand your desire for the possibility of a Cat, Sam or Frankie reunion to be left open. I probably should also have said that it looked highly likely Laura wouldn’t be back for future series and that informed on my decision a lot. I was deeply frustrated with the Shane/Carmen story in The L Word. They had this great love but broke up and never spoke again. I didn’t want a similar scenario to play out here.

When I said Sam/Frankie wouldn’t have ended up with Cat – again I should have said that was the intended ending for series 2 if Laura hadn’t left. Of course, had things been different and Cat didn’t die, who knows where her, Frankie and Sam could have ended up. Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor are a testament to how a great love is rarely resolved. I don’t want to stamp out people’s imaginings.

Edited by Billowarn, May 1, 2012 @ 6:26 PM.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:12 AM

@ Billowarn

That's pretty interesting. I'm still not sure exactly what I think about it all. I'm very conflicted. Here's Dorothy Snarker's take. She makes some good points.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, May 2, 2012 @ 4:14 AM.