Lip Service

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

302 replies to this topic

playeret

playeret

Just Tuned In

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:35 AM

The Cat/Frankie relationship was the storyline i was most interested in. I don't think the show will be as good without cat.

With the possibility of Ruta not being in series three (cast in US series Do No Harm). Do you think the show could continue without Frankie.

Previously when talking about renewals for BBC3 they said they would only renew two of three between Being Human, The Fades and Lip Service. Being Human was renewed and The Fades was cancelled, so Lip Serviced will likely be renewed.

However i don't it could continue without both Cat and Frankie's characters.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

• Interests:I'm a musician and artist from Alaska.

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

@ playeret

I think everyone is waiting nervously to see if the show will be any good without Cat, and losing Frankie would be another terrible blow. I'm not ready to give up yet personally. I still care too much about the characters that are left. As I've made pretty clear, I'm a big Sam and Tess fan, Lexy has catapulted way up for me, I like Sadie, and Frankie has grown on me. So losing Cat, while incredibly painful, Is not as bad for me as it is for others.

I'd heard that about the BBC only renewing two of the three shows so that made me hopeful. Later however, I heard the possibility that they'd only renew Being Human. So now I'm really worried. I guess it comes down to how good Lip Service's ratings are.

I can't stress enough how important a show like this is for lesbians like me. Other people may just see a soapy drama with characters they don't relate to, but it's so good for me to be able to escape into a show like this. Especially living where I currently do, in a redneck town of eight hundred people and ten different churches. And the fact is, it's the only show of its kind on TV right now.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, May 3, 2012 @ 2:32 PM.

holeybubushka

holeybubushka

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

SO it's a week and I'm still unsettled and morose. I commute a long way to work and for the first couple of days I couldn't get the image of Cat out of my brain as soon I get in my car.

I'm pretty disappointed that this is how the show is choosing to go. It sounds to me it was mostly logistical issues which informed HB's initial decision to kill off Cat. She's right, because Cat going away would've felt cheap but now we know Laura Fraser would've been available it just feels like a waste.

I dont' condone Cat's manipulative and devious behaviour. Yet there's a tragic, destructive beauty in the character which is both rare and compelling. She's the glue that sticks the group together. She pretty much informs the whole show. Her emotional journey is what attracted me in the first place and despite being a tiny, tiny person, her death has left a giant chasm in the show. One I'm not sure if it can recover from. Like most commentators says, this fun, soapy show about characters who are fundlementally likeable is gone and I'm apprehensive that I'll even like what's left.

I have a few issues with what HB says. Number one is that she didn't want to upset either C/F or C/S fans. Well I'm sorry but now no one is happy. Also, I really think Cat had made her choice and I think the writers were being pretty damn obvious about it but didn't have the guts to really spell it out.

Cat was going to choose Franky. The reason why is debateable. However the way she spoke about Sam....keeping the engraving....discarding the necklace....running to see Franky the second she could....and then that dreamy smile on her face before a car mowed her down made it cristal clear to me. And I'm not a shipper either way, except that Sam is a fantastic catch and on the surface the much better pick. I think Cat couldn't shake Franky and they could've gone with the ramifications of walking away from a stable relationship for something so tenuous would've been fascinating. Instead these characters (in particular Ed, Sam and Frankie) are going to be wakling ghosts.

I'm not saying the season can't spin off into something wonderful. Sadie is in fine form this season, and Lexie was charming after a dodgy start. Im just dubious you can recover from literally tearing the heart from the show.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

My take is that HB has simply rebooted her original concept just with different actresses. We have Lexy in the Cat role, Sadie in the Frankie role and Tess. My guess is that the rebooted Sam will go from"perfect girlfriend " to unstable whatever. Now if HB would just bury the Sam/Cat/Frankie drama the show might have a chance to move on. Lose the Sam therapy angst especially now that Frankie is gone - serves no purpose to lash out at Tess who she has no emotional attachment. Who cares! I rather watch Sam negotiate a potential new relationship than to keep rehashing what now doesn't have any emotional potential without Frankie. And if Lexy is that relationship let it move slow and equally. Give us a reason Lexy is mooning over Sam other than she's ????? - actually I am not sure what sparked the attraction so quickly.
The potential is there to wish a season three (and yes losing both Cat and Frankie is painful) but the Sadie/Lexy/Tess as roommates does have potential (if they can keep all three for another season) and loosen up on Sam.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Cat was going to choose Franky. The reason why is debateable. However the way she spoke about Sam....keeping the engraving....discarding the necklace....running to see Franky the second she could....and then that dreamy smile on her face before a car mowed her down made it cristal clear to me. And I'm not a shipper either way, except that Sam is a fantastic catch and on the surface the much better pick. I think Cat couldn't shake Franky and they could've gone with the ramifications of walking away from a stable relationship for something so tenuous would've been fascinating. Instead these characters (in particular Ed, Sam and Frankie) are going to be wakling ghosts.

Well, you know that Braun says that Cat was going to lose both...but that this would only be for Season 2. So I'm not sure that Cat would have chosen either. If she were to have chosen Frankie, then I'm wondering how she would have lost Frankie. Then again, I'm wondering how she would have lost Frankie if she continued to not choose. Would Frankie really have had enough power to break away from Cat just because it appeared as though Cat would never choose, even though Frankie said that she would wait for her? I believe that Frankie and Cat would have eventually ended up as an official couple, yes, whether temporarily or long-term. But, if we believe Braun, it wouldn't have happened in Season 2.

My take is that HB has simply rebooted her original concept just with different actresses. We have Lexy in the Cat role, Sadie in the Frankie role and Tess. My guess is that the rebooted Sam will go from"perfect girlfriend " to unstable whatever. Now if HB would just bury the Sam/Cat/Frankie drama the show might have a chance to move on. Lose the Sam therapy angst especially now that Frankie is gone - serves no purpose to lash out at Tess who she has no emotional attachment. Who cares!

If the reboot is true, it's different in that Sadie and Lexy are not into each other. Not to mention that I see Sadie as pretty distinct from Frankie, other than the fact that they both like to have sex with strangers and (from what we now know of Sadie in addition to what we already knew about Frankie) pick up strangers for sex in order to cope with emotional pain.

As for Sam grieving... Well, it wouldn't be believable if we didn't see her and other characters grieve for Cat. Yes, this show can skip ahead in time and often does, but would it feel natural if the characters suddenly weren't grieving for Cat in Episode 3, Episode 4 and if something like "doing better since Cat's death" wasn't mentioned at certain points for the rest of the season? Sam moving into a romance so quickly after Cat's death isn't believable to me, other than explaining it as her trying to cope.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

Well I have to say, that was a pretty good episode. The tone was melancholy and this series is probably not what any of us were expecting after last time. But the writing has continued to be strong over all and the show has become anything but predictable.

My thoughts on the episode,
Sad Tess is killing me. I really hope she starts standing up for her self. Someone other than Lexy for her to be attracted to would be very welcome, But I've got a feeling that this is going to drag out awhile. Still, I just love Fiona Button.

I have a lot of trouble believing that we've seen the end of Frankie. I mean getting rid of her is way too major an act to be accompanied by such little fanfare. I would expect at least an entire episode of build up. you don't just have her pack her things, hug Tess, and boom she's gone. If that turns out to be what they've done, I don't think I could forgive them.

I'm not sure what's going on with Sam. Her over all behavior seems similar to Adjustment Disorder. But those fits she's having, I don't know what to make of them. Is it just a mental breakdown? What was it about the smell of the shirt that brought the first one on? Did it smell like Frankie? Or more specifically cigarettes? It's all very disturbing to see such a strong character so helpless. The casting and writing for her parents was excellent. You can really see how Sam became who she is with parents like them.

They each had some nice moments but Lexy, Sadie and Ed were pretty much just Lexy, Sadie and Ed. I did like Sadie showing vulnerability at Frankie's lack of feeling for her. We don't see that from her.

My take is that HB has simply rebooted her original concept just with different actresses. We have Lexy in the Cat role, Sadie in the Frankie role and Tess.

I think you could be right. With Laura Fraser leaving she may be trying to make the best of it and shake everything up. And it might actually work.

I rather watch Sam negotiate a potential new relationship than to keep rehashing what now doesn't have any emotional potential without Frankie. And if Lexy is that relationship let it move slow and equally. Give us a reason Lexy is mooning over Sam other than she's ????? - actually I am not sure what sparked the attraction so quickly.

My guess is that Sam is kind, competent, strong, forthright, gorgeous and has a sexy job. I don't think it would take any more than that for me. ;)

As for Sam grieving... Well, it wouldn't be believable if we didn't see her and other characters grieve for Cat. Yes, this show can skip ahead in time and often does, but would it feel natural if the characters suddenly weren't grieving for Cat in Episode 3, Episode 4 and if something like "doing better since Cat's death" wasn't mentioned at certain points for the rest of the season? Sam moving into a romance so quickly after Cat's death isn't believable to me, other than explaining it as her trying to cope.

I agree about Sam needing time. And not that I expect her to stay celibate, but I've been sort of dreading that they'll roll out one of their favorite tropes and have Sam start having destructive hurt Sex (like Frankie) with anyone that crosses her path. As I've said, I love Sam and if they start f***ing her up like that they finally have gone too far and I really will be done with this show. So far this series the writing's been impressing me though, so here's hoping it continues.

Edited to add, that having seen it again, the scene with Frankie leaving and rejecting Sadie really hurts. I've never felt such humanity from Sadie before and Natasha O'Keeffe is amazing.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, May 6, 2012 @ 2:26 AM.

veryborednow

veryborednow

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

She pretty much informs the whole show. Her emotional journey is what attracted me in the first place and despite being a tiny, tiny person, her death has left a giant chasm in the show. One I'm not sure if it can recover from.

Last week I felt a lot like holeybubushka, very sceptical about what remained of the show after losing the axis around which the whole thing was based. I initially thought that they should have recast to keep the characters. It felt like spectacularly lazy writing to get rid of characters rather than write their way out of the corner they wrote themselve into. But after this week I'm in more of an agreement with spenserscampi.

Now if HB would just bury the Sam/Cat/Frankie drama the show might have a chance to move on.

The new axis is Tess and by losing Cat and Frankie you drop the storyline of the first series and spin the focus around Tess onto the new characters and their storylines. Except that now Sam becomes redundant, with only Cat linking her to Tess, and Lexi fancying her keeping her in the show. And the new characters seem to skew younger than last series making it feel even less natural having Sam around this crowd.

The only other thing irritating me now is that the hospital Lexi works at seems to only have about 10 people in it at any given time.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

And the new characters seem to skew younger than last series making it feel even less natural having Sam around this crowd.

Good point, which may explain my "huh" moment with the Sadie/Italian tourist kitchen scene. I am not sure about the Sadie/business woman scene either. Sorry but that business woman must meet "Sadie"s" all of the time. And I am sure that she would be the aggressor not the other way around.

Let the core three friendship grow. I liked their scene in the kitchen the day after. Stop force feeding us Sam and either hook her up with Lexy or let her go. She has no connection to the group otherwise. Make it more of a comedic turn and let's see what happens.

Billowarn

Billowarn

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Edited to add, that having seen it again, the scene with Frankie leaving and rejecting Sadie really hurts. I've never felt such humanity from Sadie before and Natasha O'Keeffe is amazing.

Certainly the most humanity I've seen from Sadie. It touched me, too, to see how deeply she cares for Frankie while Frankie treated her like crap right before bolting. I always knew that she was in love with Frankie, so seeing it confirmed in a way wasn't a surprise.

Last week I felt a lot like holeybubushka, very sceptical about what remained of the show after losing the axis around which the whole thing was based. I initially thought that they should have recast to keep the characters. It felt like spectacularly lazy writing to get rid of characters rather than write their way out of the corner they wrote themselve into. But after this week I'm in more of an agreement with spenserscampi.

Eh, I don't believe recasting would have worked anyway. I know that it wouldn't have worked for me. It would have just been a new character with the same name. I don't believe that Frankie's gone for good, so that's why I'm speaking in singular terms there.

Edited by Billowarn, May 6, 2012 @ 2:04 PM.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Certainly the most humanity I've seen from Sadie. It touched me, too, to see how deeply she cares for Frankie while Frankie treated her like crap right before bolting. I always knew that she was in love with Frankie, so seeing it confirmed in a way wasn't a surprise.

I was a little surprised, I hadn't considered that Sadie could feel that strongly for someone. That scene just shows the kind of act she puts on. That fake smile she was trying and failing to maintain and her aura of "I don't give a f**k", while her eyes showed little girl being rejected, which I now see must have happened before. Probably more than once.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

I'm not sad to see Frankie go. I was getting bored of all her bloody brooding scenes in this episode and I think she was right to go back to New York, though I found myself confused because she was struggling for money, yet she didn't take the cash her mum offered her but still managed to go back to New York.

I'm still not sure of Sadie. Her two sex scenes aside and that moment where she actually cleaned up the place, she wouldn't be my ideal person to live with though.

The magazine editor lady was sort of interesting, Madame Vastra last year on Doctor Who as well.

I love Lexy. She is exactly what the show needs right now and I love that even though she fancies Sam, she's being respectful of Sam's grieving process as well. Her friend though is still irritating.

Tess has the patience of a saint. I think I would've killed Nora by now. Seriously, Nora is every worse actor cliche come to life, isn't she?

Not sure if this show really needs Ed on it to be honest. Even Sam's work colleague seems to fit more on the show than Ed does to be honest.

Liked the Sam and Frankie scenes and the ones with her parents too, 8/10.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

Hey all, here's the new Scribegrrrl recap. It's amazing, her feelings very closely mirror my own. And as usual, she's hilarious.

What are you guy's theory's on the Lexy stalker story line? One I've come across is that maybe Bea hasn't been truthful about just how open her relationship really is and the stalker is her significant other. I'm not sure if that works though since you'd just expect the woman to come right out and accost Lexy rather than harass her over the phone.
Weather or not there's some sort of suspenseful reveal though, I think the stalker plot may just exist in order to scare Lexy and let Sam come to the rescue.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:43 AM

I think the stalker plot may just exist in order to scare Lexy and let Sam come to the rescue.

I am thinking along the same lines and that it will be Tess who suggests/actually calls Sam adding a little more love angst for the girl. Not sure about the Sadie storyline but I would love a scene between her and Sam in their "artful dodger" / "stoic cop" mindsets.
Interesting that there are no spoilers for the sixth episode. Could Frankie be back?

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

Brilliant episode. Love how they're handling Lexy's attraction to Sam and the fact that Lexy seems to continue to respect her boundaries even when Sam tried to kiss her after finding out about Cat and Frankie as well.

Who is stalking Lexy - Bea or the girlfriend? It's an interesting one. I can't wait to find out and cheer to Lexy for the wine tasting antics as well.

Poor Tess. Even when Nora is trying to be nice to her, she gets wrong by setting her up with the annoying Meg. Speaking of annoying, Hugh is starting to become massively irritating. His obsession with the man who stole his wife is getting boring now.

Ed and Nora, I could without but the latter was a lot less annoying in this one.

Sadie - still amusing and annoying in equal measures. Lauren's back and forth with her as well is similarly frustrating but I did like Jo though.

Lexy's friend is a bit one note though rather hot. Overall, I did enjoy this one, 8/10.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Hey guys,
I thought it was a great episode! My one problem with the series recently is Frankie being gone, but I'm actually glad she is because of how well it made this episode work. I still think she'll be back at some point though.

Anyhow, I find myself having to work on a Saturday again so I just popped in to see you guy's reactions. I don't have time for a full post though so that will come later today or this evening which as I've said before, could be very late for you all.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

I have a feeling we'll see Frankie at least one more time because I can't see Sam moving on until she's really had it out with her. Especially now that she knows the truth.

I continue to love Lexy but I just can't ship her with Sam. I still think it's entirely too soon for Sam to be getting involved with anyone, no matter what Cat did before her death. Sam was still in love with the woman and this doesn't make her death any less painful.

I really want the Lexy/Tess pairing instead but I know that ship will probably never leave the dock. Mostly I just want Tess to find some kind of happiness with someone. Those scenes with Meg were hilarious though. And who knew Fiona Button was that fit under all those clothes.

I'm curious as to who Lexy's stalker is. We know it's a guy because that receptionist told her a man came looking for her and then he called her and tricked her into telling him the address to the flat. I'm hoping it's not anything sinister. Maybe a long lost father or husband. Or it could be the disgruntled family member of a dead patient. Grey's Anatomy did that once.

I'd feel bad for Sadie about the way Lauren was treating if she wasn't knowingly fucking a married woman. And then she had to go and be spiteful by making friends with the wife. All that did was put her right back on my "Sadie is the worst" train after she did so well in changing my opinion last week.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:22 AM

Hey Turkish, It's good to see you back here. I was afraid you were fed up with the show.

I continue to love Lexy but I just can't ship her with Sam. I still think it's entirely too soon for Sam to be getting involved with anyone, no matter what Cat did before her death. Sam was still in love with the woman and this doesn't make her death any less painful.

While I agree it might be a bit soon, I don't have much of a problem with it. Partly because I love them both and love their chemistry, but also because the other option is waiting however many months for the third series (which may never come) to finally have them together.

I'd feel bad for Sadie about the way Lauren was treating if she wasn't knowingly fucking a married woman. And then she had to go and be spiteful by making friends with the wife. All that did was put her right back on my "Sadie is the worst" train after she did so well in changing my opinion last week.

I still like Sadie but I agree that her actions are kind of off putting. Screwing Lauren again after meeting her wife who was very nice and had just given her a job seems pretty messed up. On a side note, Lauren's wife looked remarkably like Kim Deal which is very hot and makes me like Lauren less. And I didn't much care for her to begin with.

As for the episode.
It was the most fun I've had this series. A lot of funny moments with Tess. With all the changes we've been through, Tess is the rock we can count on. This show would be dead without Fiona Button. So funny, so beautiful and yet still relatable somehow (and yes, she's really fit).

I knew Sam had to find out about Cat's affair eventually. I'm glad it happened sooner rather than later so that the suspense doesn't get dragged out through the last two episodes. Still, it was very painful and the last scene with Lexy was killer. A nice contrast I think to the Frankie/Sadie grief sex in episode two. How Lexy would turn it down because she wants something more than sex from Sam. Also, Is Heather Peace the best actor on the show, or has she just been given the most to work with, because she continues to be incredible.

Anna Skellern is pretty great herself. I think she's playing it just right in how Lexy relates to all the different characters. Her obliviousness to Tess is terrific and painful. And I just like her overall characterization as a fairly grown up compassionate person who's confident and hard to push around and yet, still has a bit of a tendency for wildness.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop with Nora. Ed is a great guy, but can he really be having this much of an effect on her to make her a decent person? Here's hoping, though I kind of doubt it. Still, at least he's finally getting some. And Sinead Keenan is a beautiful woman. I thought so the first time I saw her and that was in Doctor Who where she looked like a cactus.

Lexy's stalker was pretty scary, especially the part on the phone where he got her address. The thing with Bea and her partner seems suspicious somehow. What if she's been lying and Her significant other isn't a woman but a jealous husband? Just a thought.

Next week is going to be crazy! I hope H B can keep this streak of greatness going.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Hey Turkish, It's good to see you back here. I was afraid you were fed up with the show.

Nope. For all it faults it's still one of the better shows featuring lesbian characters. I find these people far more likable than I did anyone on The L Word. And considering that I found Cat and Frankie the most annoying, I couldn't be happier that their absence has opened the door for the other characters to shine.

Usually when a show looses it's two main characters it signals the end of the quality of the series but the writers have done a really good job here in transitioning the focus to Lexy, Tess, and Sadie. I give special kudos to Anna Skellern because it can extremely hard to get fans to open up to new characters and Lexy has managed to practically dominate this second season with little complaint. I'm convinced that she wouldn't even exist without the loss of Laura and Ruta. Loosing Frankie has also made Sadie a more interesting presence to explore. Loosing Cat has given the writers the chance to explore Sam more too. And loosing both characters has also given Tess more focus and made her the new beacon of the series. I couldn't be happier with the new developments and hope the show gets another season as a result.

I'm not buying Nora's sudden turn around either. I'm almost positive she's going to pull some shit on opening night to humiliate Tess, because it's practically a rule on this show that nothing ever works out for her.

Edited by Turkish, May 13, 2012 @ 9:22 AM.

veryborednow

veryborednow

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Usually when a show looses it's two main characters it signals the end of the quality of the series but the writers have done a really good job here in transitioning the focus to Lexy, Tess, and Sadie. I give special kudos to Anna Skellern because it can extremely hard to get fans to open up to new characters and Lexy has managed to practically dominate this second season with little complaint.

I very much agree with this, I'm enjoying this series more than the first and I'm certain that it's linked to the characterisation of Lexy, whose laid back nature is easier to get onboard with than Cat's shrill uptightness and Frankie's destructive behaviour. I feel uncharitable for being sceptical about Lexy's stalker story line when the writers have pulled off the transition from Cat/Frankie to Lexy/Sadie so well, but Lexy'd better not end up being rescued from a nutter by Sam, that's all.

Sadie feels like she moves in and out of the territory of parody, and feels too unreal at times, that said, I'd quite happily have watched her off her face with the cheese board for the whole episode.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

I think that the show works better as a comedy and hope that they move away from the angsty Sam/Lexy stalker/Sadie cheating should this go into a third season. I really don't think that any of the actresses have the acting skills to pull off deep drama but they can handle a bit of the comedy. They need to lose any residue of Frankie/Cat and move on.

That being said I don't think that the series can survive another year long hiatus so I do hope that they provide some closure within the next two episodes.

x1013x

x1013x

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

So now Sam knows about Cat and Frankie. Once Sam knows that Lexy was one of Frankie's one night stand's will she even want anything do to with her? I mean how can she know for sure the Lexy won't be just like Cat. We know shes not but Sam might not be willing to take that chance again.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

I'm not going to do a full post tonight, I'll get that done tomorrow. My initial reaction is a quite bit of disappointment in the writing of this episode. Why exactly would Sam start treating Lexy like dirt? Sam has always been presented as fairly rational. This feels like cheap writing to have her push away the one friend she has (who obviously had nothing to do with any of it) just because she feels betrayed by Cat. Anger directed at Tess or Sadie? Yeah I can see that. But the rest of this comes off as a weak stunt to inject life into the silly Tess/Lexy/Sam triangle.

All that said, I still think Sam with Lexy is the end game of the series. It would be ridiculous to have all that chemistry, little baby steps toward friendship, and finally, the slow burning build up of desire in the previous four episodes for it all to come to nothing. And that's another reason why this bothers me. If I'm right, then all this does is A. get Texy shippers hopes up for nothing, and B. Waste valuable time in the final two episodes that could be spent finding someone for Tess to move on with.

Oh, and to quote myself two pages ago

And not that I expect her to stay celibate, but I've been sort of dreading that they'll roll out one of their favorite tropes and have Sam start having destructive hurt Sex (like Frankie) with anyone that crosses her path.

Uh Huh. Also, Sam doing coke now? Oh give me a break. You know the cops will miss that evidence.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, May 19, 2012 @ 5:44 AM.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

My initial reaction is a quite bit of disappointment in the writing of this episode.

Actress(s) availability aside TPTB had control over the series going forth and they got a hit on the actresses that play Sadie, Lauren and Lexy. Heather broke out from series one and Fiona is bringing her A game - heck I even like Ed this season so the question is why head into the direction of an over reactive Sam (destroying the character that people came to root for), add a wife to the Lauren/Sadie pairing (been there done that) and use a poorly conceived stalker situation for Lexy when a story around Bea's sexual conflict could have been a better story to pursue.

Sadie said it in character when she stated that there are only two people to blame for the "affair" and neither are there. The Sadie/Lexy/Tess as roommates work (love both coming to Tess' defense while Sam came off as a petulance child) and the Lauren/Sadie pairing would work just as well without the wife. Don't like the Hugh/Tess stuff other than to provide a comedic turn for Fiona but that could have been done in so many other ways.

TPTB knew that both Laura and Ruta were leaving and that there were only six episodes to utilize. There is no way anything gets wrapped up in one last episode nor is there a promise of another season. I would have believed a Lexy/season one Sam pairing, instead too much time was wasted on that crap Sam angst instead of forwarding the stories of three unlikely roommates.

Yes it is TPTB right to do what they will with their creations. It's just so disappointing to see the same scenerios when there are so many more stories to tell.

Edited by spenserscampi, May 19, 2012 @ 7:03 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

Oh, Sam, no, no, don't go off the deep end. Going all Gene Hunt on idiot suspects aside, alienating yourself from Lexy/Tess/Sadie/Ed is just not a wise idea.

Neither is snorting that bag of coke or sleeping with girls only to be mean with them. I do hope she snaps out of it before she does something really rash though.

Tess and Lexy, I don't know if I'd like them as a couple but they did have some nice moments in this episode before Hugh had to interrupt them at the book signing.

Glad Ed dumped Nora but I have a feeling Tess might have to deal with the fall out of that though.

Liking Sadie and Lauren a bit more now that they've given the latter a bit more depth. Feel sorry for Jo though.

Lexy's stalker being Bea's husband wasn't too shocking but it was satisfying enough and Declan actually became a bit more likeable in this one, 8/10

veryborednow

veryborednow

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

This post is coming after seeing Ep 5 once, and not being able to go back to it due to rubbish internet speed in the countryside - so if this is wrong, forgive me.

Why exactly would Sam start treating Lexy like dirt?

Because she thinks that Lexy knew about Cat/Frankie too and kept it from her? I don't know if that was even the case, or just her kicking off at everyone though.

All that said, I still think Sam with Lexy is the end game of the series.

IA, I didn't even realise there were Tess/Lexy shippers. The way I interpreted it, everything's been pointing to those two, so that Tess/Lexy comes off as Lexy settling for what's available while Sam self-destructs for an episode or two. Whereas others have interpreted it as Lexy finally seeing what's in front of her - which maybe how TPTB want it but I can't view Tess as anything but a small child running around messing things up, rather than a grown-up, layered character emotionally engaging with other adults.

use a poorly conceived stalker situation for Lexy when a story around Bea's sexual conflict could have been a better story to pursue.

I can only vaguely appreciate how the stalker storyline seemed like a good idea to inject some suspence into the show, but to resolve it in the way they did and when has turned it into a mere plot point pushing Lexy towards Tess by virtue of removing Sam and Bea as people to turn to at the same time, and if that's correct I'm still not feeling Tess/Lexy.

I feel like giving TPTB kudos for pulling off a reinvention of the show with Lexy/Sadie's integration but I feel like the 6 episode structure doesn't support a storyline like the one they've given Sam, it's just taken her out of the whole series. And while Sam needed fleshing out beyond the 'perfect, steady girlfriend' role she played in series 1, I wish she had interacted with the others more.

Edited by veryborednow, May 22, 2012 @ 11:42 AM.

Styrofoam Tokyo

Styrofoam Tokyo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:33 AM

Geez, This post is a few days late. My work schedule is mighty unpredictable right now. Any how, my disappointment with the writing in this episode stands. Maybe if they had had more time to build up Sam's breakdown, they could have Pulled it off, but for everything that we just went through to happen in the space of one episode feels terribly rushed and false. Sam snorting coke is one of the most ridiculous things in series so far. And like I said I don't buy her treating Lexy this way.

I've seen a lot of people jump on the Tess/Lexy bandwagon after the episode and while I continue to be amazed by how fickle a lot of the TV watching public can be, it's not really my place to judge. I will say though from my own perception, It just doesn't work. And It's because I love Tess that I'm not happy about it. It's just been shown repeatedly that Tess isn't Lexy's type. I want Tess to have something special that's all her own. Not this kind of manufactured drama.

I still think Sam/Lexy will happen as I said before, and I have a couple of reasons. One that I already mentioned is that It just makes sense after all we've been through this series. And if all that goes unrequited, I'll feel very used. Another reason is that I saw a piece of promo art on AfterEllen that was only recently released. It almost looks like a spoiler and I think they held it back because of that. I have trouble believing they'd show Sam and Lexy looking that hot (or go to all the trouble to take the picture) just for a tease. And finally I read an interview with Heather Peace several months ago where she said Sam fans would be happy with the ending. To me that means no Texy.

As for the rest, I liked Sadie being a friend to Tess. I like how she works as a roommate. I liked her ability to sell the coffee painting to that douche. I don't know what to make of the Lauren thing. After all the scenes of Sam being screwed up over cheating, are we supposed to enjoy what's being done to Jo?

I so totally saw the stalker thing coming. Ed was really good until he got Tess in trouble with Nora. I'm very interested to see what happens on that score Friday. I still like Hugh and I still don't care about Declan.

One more to go. Six episodes is far too short a series and I still haven't heard a thing about renewal. Liking this show really hurts sometimes.

Edited by Styrofoam Tokyo, May 23, 2012 @ 4:35 AM.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

Sam snorting coke is one of the most ridiculous things in series so far. And like I said I don't buy her treating Lexy this way.

I was more put off that she used confiscated evidence....in the end I am not sure how they are going to end with only one episode left. The reboot works but not as a "bad copper" Sam device. Just let Sadie,Tess and Lexy center the show with season one Sam thrown in along with Ed and all the other male sidekicks.

And put me on the side that does not see Tess/Lexy but also unfortunately, also doesn't see a Sam/Lexy either. Tess has crushes....and Sam is simply an ass.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

That finale was a bit of disappointing one, wasn't it?

Apart from some bitchy comments and a few childish pranks, Nora wasn't really that much of a thorn in Tess's side after all. More of nuisance than an actual threat really.

Tess was in her element during the play. Shame that her and Lexy aren't going to happen.

I did see the whole thing with Lexy and Sam coming though. Not sure how I feel about, despite loving both of their characters.

Sadie reverted to her bad ways when Lauren dumped her, ugh, typical of her.

Given how bad the ratings were for this last night, I'll be shocked if it comes back for a third run, 7/10.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

Well that's a wrap - don't think that its coming back for a third season.

I don't know how much the departure of both Laura and Ruta affected Harriet's plan for this season but yes it was disappointing mainly because she appeared to have struck gold with her reboot cast. However the writing, direction and acting choices were somewhat disjointed.

I would have invested in a series with the Sadie, Lexy and Tess characters as unlikely roommates and I enjoyed the additions of Neve, Sinead and Alana. I liked the character of Sam in season one and while I could understand the dramatic potential of exploring her feelings about Cat/Frankie it went on too long, especially given that both antagonists were firmly out of the picture. The Tess crush on Lexy went too far as well, especially as a plot device given that Sam/Lexie was the end game from the begining. It only served to make Lexy look bad and take away from Tess' true triumph which was her success in the play and smack down of Nora - that should have been the main positive focus for her in the end not the pathetic pillow hugging look of despiration that we got. That would have cemented the growth that we saw in Tess this season.

As for the Sadie/Lauren storyline - wow rushed finish to that. One moment both Sadie and Lauren are crossing that line into genuine feeling(s) then next both are acting with vehiment disregard for the other. I could have accepted that the whole Sadie thing with Lauren was a con but it wasn't played that way and made for a wtf moment in the end.

The character of Bea was wasted and way too much time was spent on the male sidekicks. Time that could have advanced the slow building of the Sam/Lexy relationship (instead of the crap Sam angst). Time that could have dug deeper into why Lauren was cheating on her wife or lifestyle choices (more scenes like the boat scene and bed scene with Sadie). Time that could have explored Tess' growth without the overplay on the Lexy crush (maybe utilize Alana Hood as girlfriend material for Tess instead of the crappy stalker situation). Time that could have been spent on the growth of the roommate'ships instead of the total destruction of that dynamic. More time on the humour as opposed to the angst - especially since this cast was more suited to that direction.

In the end while grateful for having a show to snark on, I would have enjoyed a more solid, tighter storyline with a bigger payoff.

Edited by spenserscampi, May 27, 2012 @ 9:27 AM.

BottleWorks

BottleWorks

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Nevermind.

Edited by BottleWorks, Jun 4, 2012 @ 9:40 PM.