Mad Hungry

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

42 replies to this topic

Bitter Betty

Bitter Betty

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 11:08 AM

2. The title...what does that mean?

When you say something is 'mad', you mean it's crazy or over-the-top... like you're crazy hungry... or very hungry... or wicked hungry. I don't know if it's a regional thing... I know we say it around here (East Coast) and it's used quite a bit across the pond, too. Also common is to say you're mad about someone or something, which would mean you are crazy or over the moon about them.

Guido

Guido

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 1:40 PM

I have really been loving the new season. I used her Asian-y marinade for a pot roast but I cooked mine in a pressure cooker instead of on the stove. Great flavor, but then I'm a sucker for anything with fresh garlic and ginger in it.

I also like her pantry staples meals. She did a simple black beans over white rice that I thought looked almost too simple, but did it anyway. Onion, garlic, cumin and oregano make for a really flavorful dish. I finished it off with a squeeze of lime and am considering serving it "chili bar" style to guests with shredded cheese, raw onions, chips, etc., so they can build their own bowls.

Oh, and lots of Calder in the new shows!

My one nitpick is the same one I have with the FN shows and that is the fake vignettes they sometimes perform during the show. I know you're on a television set and that no one is "just" dropping by or that guests aren't about to show up. Back stories about how you came up with a recipe or who gave you the recipe is fine, just stop pretending that any minute from now your impromptu dinner party is going to kick into high gear. Just make some good food and I'm happy.

Squeezel

Squeezel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 31, 2011 @ 7:31 PM

I made the Eggplant Parm Stacks tonight - I think the episode was from late September, just at the beginning of the new season. They were delicious. The stacks were cute. I used one eggplant and got 12 slices out of it -- for the four servings in the recipe. One of the stacks tilted over a little bit. LSQ said to use fine breadcrumbs - I used panko since my husband isn't into carbs*. I figured I'd get the taste of the crumbs with less volume since the panko flakes are larger. And I used less mozzarella than LSQ used* - she looked like she had slabs of cheese. It was delicious and cheesy nevertheless. And it was pretty quick to assemble the stacks. I'd recommend it.

*Also -- how many changes can you make to a recipe before it becomes a different recipe? For those Aunt Sandy fans, she "cooked" (read: desecrated) a "lasagna" -- by using tomato soup and cottage cheese. I'm not insinuating that Sandra Lee actually cooks, or even prepares real food, as I used to watch her only for entertainment purposes.

Edited by Squeezel, Oct 31, 2011 @ 7:32 PM.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

I'm hoping that "Mad Hungry" will continue on Hallmark after the Martha Stewart show ends. Martha is the producer of "Mad Hungry", and I have not seen her say anything about "Mad Hungry".

ToothbrushFence

ToothbrushFence

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

I don't know for sure about any recent changes, but several months ago Lucinda posted on the Mad Hungry blog that Hallmark had order something like 80 additional episodes. I love the show, too, and can't wait for new episodes!

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

I must be blind because I didn't see any Bodum flatware at that link. I'm anxious to see the show now, based on reviews here, though.

Squeezel

Squeezel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

mansonlamps, try this link: Bodum Barcelona flatware at Cooking.com. If it doesn't work, google "bodum barcelona flatware." You'll be able to find pictures. The line was discontinued by Bodum a while ago, so I guess that's why it's no longer on the Bodum site.

mansonlamps

mansonlamps

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Thanks Squeezel, that link worked fine. I do like the clean simplicity of the flatware.

Just from reading this thread, I DVR'd a couple of episodes of the show because I was dying to see the hottie son. When I watched this morning I was a little surprised to see him based on others' reactions. Then I came back here and realized it was a different son. I had forgotten the name Calder. This one was Miles, who seemed very nice and all, but I wouldn't think a bunch of people would be posting about their hidden "crush" on this young man. Of course taste is extremely individual, so who knows?

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Keep watching for Calder -- totally worth the effort! He was on in the past week, for a program on healthy Chinese food (sauteed rather than deep-fried). He is always ravenous, and always adorable. Very glad this show is continuing, although I have not seem most of the second season -- but saw almost all of the first season.

Biosynth

Biosynth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 7:56 AM

Meep, I have to admit that I'm a Calder fan as well. He's got a really nice personality too.

There are more than a few things I'd cook from Mad Hungry. I'd love to try those Crepe Canelloni.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Great Thanksgiving photo of Cakder here -- also see the comments:

http://m.facebook.co...o/eEKCKN3o&_rdr

No sign the show will be back.

Edited by jjj, Dec 1, 2012 @ 9:54 AM.

contretemps

contretemps

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:35 AM

Hey! Mad Hungry is back on the Hallmark schedule starting next Monday at 1:00 and 1:30 in the afternoon. Granted it is reruns but I'll take it. Maybe this means they realize 4 hours of their boring Home and Familyshow is NOT working. Hopefully Lucinda gets the opportunity to film a new season. This is, without a doubt, one of the best how to cooking shows. If you've never seen it, at least DVR it. You won't be sorry.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 2:56 AM

What great news! Thanks for the update!