Acting on Glee: And the Award Goes To...

• Please log in to reply

2051 replies to this topic

OakGoblinfly

OakGoblinfly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

True. Still the writing is so spectacularly awful that it makes it difficult to judge the acting ability of the cast. Though the fact that Cory and Chris can deliver some of those horrific lines without breaking out in giggle fits (or vomiting) is a credit to their acting chops.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Matt Bomer was one of my favourite guest stars so far. Cooper's hammy commercial acting was so much fun.

Bless them also for the far too brief return of Rachel's shady acting talent. Her enthusiasm over the point and ignore school of acting was awesome. Lea's comedic acting is always spot on but the little shot of Rachel lifting "dead" Tina's hand had me cracking up for some reason.

I really feel we should have gotten more Cooper/Rachel acting opposite each other, their styles were so complimentary ;)

Sadly, I can't be as positive about Darren's acting. His "angsting" was not great at all. All those bad acting jokes that were directed at Cooper could easily be true for Darren's acting. Angry is not his forte I wish the producers wouldn't try to push him there.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Agreed about Matt Bomer being a great guest star. No one will ever surpass the Groff (my favorite guest star ever on the show) but Cooper Anderson was certainly very funny and Bomer sold his character extremely well. "Big Brother" wasn't my favorite episode of all times, but it was one of the more comedic ones since the angst began in as far back as "Grilled Cheesus".

Agreed about Lea as well. She is such a great actress, her comedic timing is impeccable, I had to rewind her NCIS scene who knows how many times. Her dramatic acting is also so natural, compared to the overwhelming melodrama of certain cast members.

Glee has been doing a good job with guest stars lately. Matt Bomer, Jeff Goldblum, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Nene Leakes, even Ricky Martin was kind of cool.

Edited by a finn gleek, Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:09 PM.

marymonroe

marymonroe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Third all the Lea stuff. Plus even though the guilt ridden Rachel was bad timing she still did great in that scene and the Finchel disagreement.

No words for Darren and his angst. No much for Dianna either, I just can't get into Quinn as a Character, she just doesn't have it to me.

Bomer was fun, Jane was good again.

Heyerchick

Heyerchick

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

Just wanted to comment on three performances in Dance With Somebody.

First, I give Chris full credit for making some tough acting choices. Kurt's behaviour was indeed questionable, and I don't think Chris pulled any punches in portraying that gulf between Kurt's headspace versus that of Burt and Blaine. We had some of Kurt's most intriguing and frustrating character traits on display in the episode - ninja deflection in an argument, going for the jugular, tunnel vision, that trademark cool aloofness that was part of his armour from the very beginng, an armour that was built up over the years before he found Glee or Blaine and which will never completely leave him. A lot of Chris's choices were about portraying that guarded and extremely pragmatic bent Kurt has. The acting was more sophisticated than the writing, I think, but helped by the writer actually understanding what makes both Kurt and Blaine tick.

Second, Darren did really well with that first bedroom scene where Blaine discovers Chandler's texts. I had no difficulty buying Blaine's devastation, but Darren played the scene with the quieter energy I liked from his work in the auditorium scene in The First Time. I thought his portrayal of Blaine sliding into anger there was well done. The big energy was back for It's Not Right, but Blaine was overreacting and that oomph was necessary. Again with the quieter energy in the office scene with Emma, and his bitchy snarking was funny.

Third, Jayma Mays is criminally underused in the show. I wish she got more scenes with actors other than Matt Morrison. [Not to diss Matt's work] Jayma really sold Emma's kindness and empathy, her desire to be a safe space even when she's out of her depth. I loved how Jayma made it so clear Emma knew exactly what was going on in Will's messed up head with regards to the kids, refused to indulge him and waited until his head caught up with his heart, all through her eyes, her facial expression and body language, her tone of voice. She, like Chris, has added wonderful physical aspects to her performance: the wide Bambi eyes, the high and breathy voice, and she, like Chris, never slips.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

I liked Chris Colfer's acting "choices" and they were pretty brutally honest at times. He was cool and aloof and defensively obstinate as to his behavior while confronted by Blaine. You could see the Kurt "wall" almost completely wrapped around him.

His reaction to Blaine's *angry* song was brillant, he was WTF but by the end of the number it was also the realization of "holy shit, my boyfriend is really pissed and hurt".

Darren did fairly well with the emotional devastation with confronting Kurt with the initial text messages. That first confrontation between both of them was the best "klaine" acting scene IMO. However the scene in Emma's office was just off. Darren was going for a half sobbing emotional choked voice that screamed acting...sometimes less is more.

Kurt just reacting was again subtle and revealing alot with no dialogue in that scene.

Jayma was brilliant.

Dianna Agron I enjoyed, within her limited range she made her character's frustration shine through. Teenage Jesus seemed a little wooden to me, and Overstreet didn't seem to have much energy to his scenes.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

From the "i want to dance with somebody" thread:

But I think Darren playing Blaine might not be subtle. (And sometimes I think he does that intentionally. I've watched interviews with him where he has said that he's not the 'showman' performer that Blaine is.)

The difference is that Lea is a very good actor and Darren not so much IMO.

They are both "acting" in character when they sing, or doing anything in song, but Daren's acting is never subtle, so that in essence it becomes his Blaine "persona".

Lea when she's singing/acting in the comic "Run Joey Run" is clearly Rachel but in character, other times when singing a sad song or a ballad, Lea tones it down alot. Whereas Darren as Blaine tries to go for the showboat persona but it's far more jarring because it always comes across as way too over the top when he's acting in pain or anger, unless it's being played for comedy as so much of the Warbler numbers were. I really enjoyed Darren's show faces in the comic Warbler numbers. Where it looked out of place was when it was done in the "Some
where only we know" number because it was suppose to be "dramatic".

Being "dramatic" in straight scenes or singing is not Darren's strong point IMO.

Edited by kineticzo, Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:19 PM.

jmcb

jmcb

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

I think all singers are going to make some faces some more than others and some of it can't be help. But I think it was a acting choice or directors choice to make Rachel a bit over emoting in the beginning. Bigger was better for Rachel. I think that has been tone down a lot.

I think the tolerance of the character is more at play with Rachel to be honest.

delplata

delplata

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

I think the tolerance of the character is more at play with Rachel to be honest.

Well, if tolerance is giving good actors the benefit of the doubt count me in. Even when Rachel, Cory or Chris are involved in WTF storylines, I tolerate it because IMO I think all 3 of them are exceptional young actors.

Rachel in particular is soo good at comic and dramatic scenes. Her NCIS acting scene in Big Brother pointing at a dead Tina is comic gold...

jmcb

jmcb

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Well, if tolerance is giving good actors the benefit of the doubt count me in. Even when Rachel, Cory or Chris are involved in WTF storylines, I tolerate it because IMO I think all 3 of them are exceptional young actors.

I was speaking more in terms of her singing faces She still gets heat for that but really if people who don't like the character/actor were more opening minded they would see this but they still harken back to times when Rachel was more intense. They choose to see only how it was not how it is. IMO of course.

I am impressed with the 3 you mention, mostly Lea and Cory because they never know each week which Rachel or Finn they are going to have to act.

Edited by jmcb, Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:34 PM.

Heyerchick

Heyerchick

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

Props to Lea and Chris for being able to pull off not just Rachel and Kurt, but Rachel performing as "..." and Kurt performing as "..." If the Christmas special gave us nothing, it gave us a full-on, mannered, perfectly-attuned 'vintage TV' performance from both Kurt and Rachel. Chris as Kurt > Kurt as Judy Garland. Really fantastic, complex, nuanced work there from both actors.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:33 AM

Lea absolutely nailed everything she did this ep. The audition scene in particular was especially great. She has been so wasted on being a "girlfriend" this year. She's capable of so much more, just the contrast between the vintage Rachel Berry VoiceOver at the start, the dramatics of the choking scene and the little bits of Hummelberry friendship show how much range she really does have.

Also props to Mark Salling for improving greatly. The singing was actually awful but his acting was a lot better than I expected given his usual attempts at serious Puck plus there were no especially awful incidents of his unusual inflections.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

Lea was outstanding in the audition scene. That was seriously A+ you could feel it inside your own body could not be better acting.

Also props to Mark Salling for improving greatly. The singing was actually awful but his acting was a lot better than I expected given his usual attempts at serious Puck plus there were no especially awful incidents of his unusual inflections.

Heh. He still has this weird mix of extremely good enunciation and diction most times but then really bad mumbling and rushing of his words at other times.

I thought he pulled off the performance. The writers were at least smart enough to keep the acting side of it quiet and restrained. The look on his face in the last scene is probably the best acting he's ever done. That speech to the guys however, did him no favors. That was some clunky bullshit, and his distractingly un-Puck like preppy sweater didn't help.

jmcb

jmcb

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:44 AM

Lea was outstanding, she was so good it hurt to watch her scenes. And why they don't give us more comedic Rachel and Finchel? I don't get it. Her voice overs are easily the best on the show.

Dot was great but she sat and cried, plus I felt i the whole story was unnecessary.

I'll give Mark some props, I felt bad when eh got that F, I actually thought she would past with like a D and be so excited.

Edited by jmcb, May 2, 2012 @ 9:44 AM.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

I feel like I'm praising Lea more and more after every episode, but this was especially extraordinary. She's such a great actress and manages to always nail both the dramatic and the comedic storylines she's given, no matter how bad they are. This episode really went from ultimate positive S1 Rachel to a complete and utter meltdown. She portrayed how Rachel went from extremely confident to somewhat hesitant to totally shattered so well that I actually got teary-eyed towards the end. Of course, Rachel/Kurt locker room scenes are always a joy to watch, there are not that many duos on the show where both actors are capable (Lea and Cory both being great is the only saving grace in Finchel) of delivering.

If I want anything ever from this show I want Lea to get some recognition in the form of awards for her troubles. The girl works so freaking hard on this show, I cannot fathom how long her hours are since she has so many songs and so many scenes and she always stays in character and doesn't just check out when she's on the back ground (excluding that hilarious lol-moment she had last week during Blaine's angry solo.)

Dot's performance for me was overshadowed by the storyline, which I didn't like and thus didn't get to enjoy her acting as much as I probably could have otherwise. Which is a pity because she's amazingly good.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Heh. He still has this weird mix of extremely good enunciation and diction most times but then really bad mumbling and rushing of his words at other times.

He gets into trouble when he has to say more than a couple of lines in a row (an affliction that many of the kid actors suffer from) but he's fine otherwise and damn it the part where he actually failed the test was all kinds of sad.

I agree Dot was great, I just hated the execution of the storyline with the fire of a thousand suns. It was beyond preachy and completely insulting.

If I want anything ever from this show I want Lea to get some recognition in the form of awards for her troubles. The girl works so freaking hard on this show, I cannot fathom how long her hours are since she has so many songs and so many scenes and she always stays in character and doesn't just check out when she's on the back ground (excluding that hilarious lol-moment she had last week during Blaine's angry solo.)

I wish that were still possible. Lea was totally robbed for S1- she deserved all the awards for that. I just can't see it happening anymore no matter how great she's been at nailing what has so often been completely shoddy material in whatever genre she's been given.

Edited by dippychik, May 2, 2012 @ 10:04 AM.

jmcb

jmcb

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Lea's best chance at an award was the Golden Globes for the first 13.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

I wish that were still possible. Lea was totally robbed for S1- she deserved all the awards for that. I just can't see it happening anymore no matter how great she's been at nailing what has so often been completely shoddy material in whatever genre she's been given.

I would be happy if she even got nominated, but I know that's a rough road as well. I guess leading actress is a pretty competitive category? And with the decline in Glee's quality, I wonder if even Jane and Chris will get nods any more, and they have always been the go-to nominees on the show.

But I have decided to stay optimistic, I just think Lea has been so great this season! I'm stubborn with this, lol.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

Hated how the domestic violence theme was handled but I thought Dot was wonderful and her acting rang so genuinely touching.

thedullgirl

thedullgirl

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I'd love to watch a taping of this show just to see how many takes Lea needs 'to get it right.' I imagine she nails her scenes pretty quickly. If not, taping must be exhausting for her.

a finn gleek

a finn gleek

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:58 AM

I hated the Rachel as prom queen story line, but everyone's acting during it was great. Lea sold Rachel's disbelief very well, Chris' expression when Figgins announced that they had "prom anarchy" once again was great, Cory too was wonderful and managed to convey that Finn was at the same time dumbfounded and pleased and Dianna and Naya were cute exchanging sneaky but happy looks.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

The episode just highlighted to me again what good actors Lea, Cory and Chris are. They convey more with a look then alot of other actors with a page of dialogue. Rachel is a at times infuriating character but Lea really invests so much in making her feelings as Rachel pop out of the screen. When Lea , Chris and Cory even do simple dialogue their line readings are always sharp and there is snap and energy to their scenes.

With Heather's acting, the less said the better. She seems incapable of delivering a coherent no nmubling line reading.

SNeaker

SNeaker

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:20 AM

Having watched the Prom episode again (or, fast-forwarded just to the parts I liked, which was about 5-minutes' worth), I feel like this was one of Mark Salling's strongest episodes acting-wise. Not award-worthy or anything, but showing that he can play more sides to the character. The responsibility to keep the vibe from going anywhere creepy during the strip poker thing was all on him, and he managed it beautifully despite the lack of clothing. There was also a softness to his voice when he spoke to Becky about the anti-prom that I don't think we've ever heard from him before (except maybe with Beth), and it all came off very natural and easy without seeming condescending. Mark has always been good at the big douchey comedy stuff, but I think he's equally good at lending Puck an air of sweetness and vulnerability. His sadness was palpable.

I was also really impressed with Naya in the scene where she and Quinn decide they don't want to be Prom Queens anymore. Something about the way she laughed as she talked about Quinn "being a crip and all..." I can't explain it, but it was just perfect.

On the other hand, I felt that Cory fell down a little bit during his speech to Rachel about being Prom Queen, but the writing didn't exactly do him any favors. The "I'm about to cry" voice just wasn't working for him and wasn't up to his usual standards.

Edited by SNeaker, May 14, 2012 @ 7:21 AM.

redgarlic

redgarlic

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Having watched the Prom episode again (or, fast-forwarded just to the parts I liked, which was about 5-minutes' worth), I feel like this was one of Mark Salling's strongest episodes acting-wise

While I agree, Props blew it out of the water. It might have been the first time that Mark Salling has made me feel for Puck. Both the fight and his breakdown with Beiste were quite well acted, giving Puck the pathos he had been missing before.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:58 AM

I thought Dianna and Vanessa did the best in their switcheroos. Dianna got the swinging down very well and Vanessa got the icy stare perfectly.

dippychik

dippychik

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I thought Dot was amazing in Props. I liked the way this story played out so much better than the heavy handed storytelling in Choke. I loved her scenes with Mark especially.

Mark was pretty great this ep too. He's been on a roll these past few weeks but this week he really lifted his game that much more. I'm so glad Puck and Bieste found each other, that whole story was probably the highlight of Props for me.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

And Dot didnít have much to do in "Nationals," but she sold the few reaction shots and seconds of screen time she had.

kineticzo

kineticzo

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

I love how acting wise Mark has stepped up to the plate. He was touching in his scenes with Dot in Props. Dot has a special quality in that she can convey heartbreak and longing so well. Kudos to both actors.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Going along with what some other folks have said, I really have to give Mark praise for his work in "Props". That scene with Beiste in the locker room really was very solid work. I think he completely sold it

I also think Jenna did a better-than-usual job with her increased role in "Props". I'm not ready to sing her praises as an actress, but one problem I've had with her is I've found her line delivery to be stilted and unnatural sounding, and I didn't generally find that to be the case in "Props". I think it got a little that way in her scene with Rachel in the fantasy/delusion/whatever part, but that first hallway scene with Rachel where she gave her a piece of her mind? I thought that was pretty darn good.

Dot, as others have said, is amazing.

Edited by smrou, May 16, 2012 @ 6:38 PM.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I thought Jenna did fairly well with what is basically her character's first real plot. She's never really gotten a chance to build any momentum before, and while I wouldn't call her a great actress by any stretch, she seemed capable enough.

Mark surprised me last night. The breakdown was easily his best dramatic scene yet.