Acting on Glee: And the Award Goes To...

• Please log in to reply

2054 replies to this topic

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 4:00 PM

I was lurking the True Blood forums when I came across this thread and thought it might be a good idea to drag over here. As far as I can tell, there isn't a thread dedicated to this subject, so I think it's fair game.

Anyways. A place to discuss the acting on Glee. As an ensemble, as pairs or individually. The good, the bad, the ugly and the award worthy performances are all up for discussion here. The posters on the True Blood forum had an interesting idea where they ranked the actors to see who is expendable and who's departure would make the show crumble. I'm not sure if that's the way y'all want to go about it, but it's just an idea.

Anyway, have at it!

mocoo

mocoo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 6:05 PM

Lynch
Colfer
Michelle
Monteith
Morrison
Riley/Ushkowitz

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 6:05 PM

I'm actually kind of impressed with most of the acting on this show. My major issue is how some of them are being directed. Have said that, I personally think that the best one is Cris Colfer. I actually said at one point last year that if he didn't get an Emmy nom, there was no justice.

janesuz

janesuz

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

Lynch
Colfer
Michelle
Monteith
Morrison
Riley/Ushkowitz

I can agree with this... Lynch can be a bit over the top at times but like Michele that is part of the fun and the character.

Riley is last...

Bookworm06

Bookworm06

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

Award worthy - Lynch and Colfer (Go Chris, Go!)

Excellent - Michele, Montieth, O'Malley

Good - Morrison, Mays, Gilsig

Adaquate - Agron, Rivera, Morris, Overstreet

Unimpressive - McHale, Salling

How on earth did you get cast? - Riley, Ushkowitz

matarael

matarael

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 11:46 PM

Borrowing from the label above

Award Worthy: Lynch, Michele, Montieth
Excellent: Morrison, O'Malley, Mays, Gilsig
Good: Agron, Rivera, Morris, Overstreet
Adequate: Colfer, Shum
Unimpressed: Salling, McHale
There's something there but we haven't been given the chance to fully see it: Ushkowitz, Riley

Amester0120

Amester0120

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:11 AM

Main and recurring cast:
Award Worthy: Lynch, Colfer, O'Malley
Excellent: Mays, Agron, Morrison, Michele (I'm sick of her scrunched up crying face though)
Good: Monteith, Rivera, Morris, Gilsig, Theba (Figgins FTW)
Adequate: Shum, Salling, Ushkowitz (Not bad, not good)
Unimpressed: Riley, McHale, Charice (I don't think they've been given much)
Honorable Mention: Steven Tobolosky

Guest stars:
Award Worthy: Cheno, Josh Groban
Excellent: NPH, Groff, Olivia Newton John
Adequate: Menzel
Unimpressed: Molly Shannon, Eve
Horrible: Spears (I had to do it)

Edited by Amester0120, Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:15 AM.

JenM9

JenM9

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:58 AM

Award Worthy: Lynch
Excellent: Agron, Monteith, Mays, Michele (could be 'Award Worthy' if she stops pulling faces)
Good: Morrison, Gilsig, Morris, Overstreet
Adequate: Rivera, Colfer (so overrated)
Unimpressed: Salling, Shum, McHale
You suck, you suck, you suck: Riley, Ushkowitz

gaby25

gaby25

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 1:17 AM

My first thought when everyone mentioned Riley and Ushkowitz was "who the hell are these people! were they guest stars, surely they are not in the main cast? I had to go to imdb.com to find out who they were. I guess Amber and Jenna haven't made an impression.

Anyway my picks:

Award Worthy: Monteith, Lynch, Michelle
Excellent: no one
Good: Morrison, Mays, Gilsig, O'Malley, Theba, Rosemont (Finn's mom)
Adequate: Agron, Rivera, Morris, Colfer, Overstreet
Unimpressed: Shum, McHale, Ushkowitz
Awful (Please GTFO): Riley, Salling

I haven't been impressed with any of the guest stars except Steven Tobolosky.

DrScheme

DrScheme

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 1:48 AM

Hmmm. Acting wise I think the majority of the cast is very can or cannot. The good actors are REALLY good but the not good one's bring a new definition to mediocre. That said.

Award Worthy - Jane Lynch (THE breakout star of the show IMO), Corey Monteith (I don't like Finn a majority of the time but I don't think anyone could play him better) Lea Michele (There never was nor will there ever be another Rachel Berry) Chris Colfer (I'm not really into Kurt these day's but I'll give the actor his due)

Excellent - Morrison (Could be award worthy I just need to see more), Mays (She plays the part well), Gislig (Could be award worthy but the writing has never given her the chance), O'Malley (I think sentimental subject matter really help's him along)

Adequate - Salling (I think it takes talent to make me laugh. Drama is not his strong suit though), McHale (Not great but not awful either, very whatever), Agron (she can do bitchy but emoting anything else is very hit or miss, frequently miss), Overstreet (If I don't get more from him soon, once his novelty wears off I'm gonna want him to bounce. Charming and Corny wont help him stand out on a show full of colorful characters).

Everyone else is for the moment, beneath notice. Though Amber is a good singer.

Edited by DrScheme, Oct 20, 2010 @ 1:50 AM.

Rosencrantz 13

Rosencrantz 13

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 2:51 AM

Jane, Chris and Mike O'Malley are the three actors I find award worthy on the show, though Jane is the only one likely to win a lot of awards. Sue gets 80% comic and 20% dramatic scenes while Kurt gets 80% dramatic and 20% comic and Burt gets 100% dramatic. With Glee competing in comedy catagories Jane will always have the strongest submissions, while Chris and Mike will be considered great actors who weren't given enough funny moments to win a comedic performance award.

Lea is a fine comic actress, but her dramatic scenes often feel forced to me. I can justify it by thinking that Rachel is just a melodramatic character like that, but it remains that her emotional moments have never really moved me. I'd call Cory the most improved Glee actor, since in the early episodes I thought his performance had a lot of broad strokes to it and now I can see a lot more subtlty in both his comic and dramatic acting. Matt Morrison is underrated. He's the straight man of the show, but he plays that role very solidly and even though Will can annoy me, I always find his character believable.

Jayma I like, she's funny, but her character can be very one-note. I think we need less of Emma being skittish and neurotic with more serious scenes to add depth to her character. Her performance in 'Grilled Cheesus' was great, I'd like to see her interacting more with characters other than Will. Heather and Naya are terrific comic actresses who have deservedly been given more screentime to show it off. Other than that I find all the other kids good/average actors, with Jenna being the only weak link at this stage. Chord has impressed me so far. He hasn't done any heavy lifting yet but he's made Sam likeable and that's a hard enough thing to pull off when you're the new guy in a popular established cast. Dot is also great as Coach Bieste.

Edited by Rosencrantz 13, Oct 20, 2010 @ 2:52 AM.

carly hope

carly hope

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 8:16 AM

Jane Lynch is amazing but I'm not exactly a Sue fan so sometimes I can't
really enjoy the awesomeness of the acting because I'm stuck on the awfulness of the character. Whiich I guess is a compliment to the acting.

Chris is amazing in all he is doing and while I'm not particulary fond of Kurt lately (read since Back 9) that is due to fishy writing and not bad acting.

Cory is IMHO the most underrated of the cast. He is amazing as Finn. I love him more and more with every scene. He does subtle very well. His comedy is amusing and his drama is heartbreaking. I really wish they gave him more to do from time to time, at least.

When it somes to whether Matt is a good actor I always think of 2 scenes, Will breaking down at hearing DSB in Journey and him finding out Terri was faking the pregnacy. He gave me the chills in the scene. He, too, I think suffers a bit from the good acting/weird writing problem.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 10:34 AM

When it somes to whether Matt is a good actor I always think of 2 scenes, Will breaking down at hearing DSB in Journey and him finding out Terri was faking the pregnacy. He gave me the chills in the scene. He, too, I think suffers a bit from the good acting/weird writing problem.

I agree with this. Matt is a damn good actor but Will is written so, so badly that it's hard for him to show this. He also 'suffers' in being the straight man, and since the first 13 has been given little to do.

I was spoiled on the Mattress scene and KNEW he didn't hit her. I was still holding my breath, convinced I was wrong on that point as he just acted it so damn well. I was legit terrified of him.

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:56 AM

Over in the True Blood thread (where the inspiration for this thread started), somebody made a list on which they judged the acting. I think the list is pretty comprehensive, so I'd like to share it here.

1-Believability: Are they convincing. Do the embody the role to the point that they are that character. So much so that I don't see "the acting"? Are they owning that role.

2-Actor Deletion: I ask myself if I could see another actor in that role. If the answer is no or it would be very difficult for me to accept another actor, than The Current Actor is doing his or her job. They are owning the role (see above). But if I can visualize someone else doing a better job or I would welcome someone, Than The Current Actor is not doing their job.

3-Character Deletion: What if the character was totally missing in a episode or deleted all together, would I miss them or be throwing a party? Or maybe I don't care either way.

4-Freshness: Not going through the motions. They do the most with what they are given. They find that hot button within the limitations of the role. They express a few varieties of human emotion and actions in various scenes, instead of playing every scene the same. I'm so engaged with the character that I can't wait to see them get more storylines and can't wait to see what they do next. Everytime I see their scenes I notice something else they did that was interesting. (This is what James Frain did. Franklin was a psycho but the way JF played him made the audience sort of root for him or at least want him to stick around.)

5-Charisma: Do they have the "it: factor that is hard to define but you know when it's not there.

Although I do think the ensemble as is has a very good chemistry with each other that reads well on screen, based on this list I can only think of three or four actors who really fulfill all the criteria. But first, let's start with the dregs of the cast. Commenting on every actor would take days, so I'll only do it do a select few, probably with short notes afterward. The four best, though, will get a little extra.

13) Amber Riley
12) Jenna Ushkowitz

Both of these ladies, I feel, still don't have a strong grasp of who their characters are supposed to be. Their delivery is usually clunky. Although Amber Riley's voice can't be replaced, she, as an actress, could go and I wouldn't cry.
11) Mark Salling
10) Kevin McHale
9) Heather Morris
- Although she is a comedic savant, I need to see a little more dramatic acting before I can say one way or the other how good she is.
8) Naya Rivera
7) Dianna Agron - Although I do think she's replaceable, I think her acting is generally a little underrated.
6) Jayma Mays - Jayma is another actress who I don't think gets enough kudos for her work. She always nails Emma's little ticks and mannerisms, even when she's not the focus of the camera
5) Matthew Morrison

The top four, for me, are the actors who make the show. Like I said before, I enjoy the cast as is and their on-screen chemistry, but they are all generally replaceable as actors (not singers). However, if the top four were played by anybody different the show would fall flat on its face. As evidence, three of them have been nominated for an Emmy. The top four portray such different characters that it's going to be very difficult to place them. You may not agree with my assessments, but that's okay. To each their own.

4) Lea Michele - Lea encompasses everything that is Glee. She masterfully fulfills all five criteria outlined above. Without the sensitivity that Lea Michele brings to Rachel Berry, the character may have been a complete travesty and universally hated for her attitude. Lea is able to play all aspects of Rachel convincingly and understands everything about her. The reason she ranked lower than the other three is because I have noticed a few occasions where her acting was a little more obvious.

3) Jane Lynch - Ah, what would Glee be without Jane Lynch? Dramatically less funny, that's what. Jane Lynch is arguably the most irreplaceable member of this cast. I can't think of a single actress who can muster up the same amount of sarcastic scorn and portray it in a way that doesn't make us hate her. Sue is a villain, yes, but Jane makes us love having her around. More impressive to me than her comedic acting, though, is how she is able to let the tiniest sliver of her humanity shine through from time to time. Jane Lynch is a force.

2) Chris Colfer - Do I even need to say anything? Some people are diamonds in the rough. Chris Colfer, though, is just a diamond shining bright. Actors regularly draw upon real life experiences to add a level of emotion to their performance that may have been lacking before. I find it hard to believe that the amount of drama thrown at Kurt has occurred in Chris Colfer's life, which makes his performances that much greater. Chris' acting has, on more than on occasion, made this jaded fool get misty eyed. The honesty he brings to Kurt is just astounding to see. His scenes with Mike O'Malley have been some of my favourites on TV. Like, ever. He was given quite the character to play with Kurt, and he plays him to perfection.

1) Cory Monteith - I can already sense some jaws on the floor with this one, but let me explain. Picking the rankings in the top four more or less came down to personal preferences. For me, Cory is why I watch the show. Rachel Berry, Sue Sylvester and Kurt Hummel are all big, grand characters who more or less don't exist in real life. There are a million Finn's out there. For Cory Monteith to be able to take such a normal character and make me feel as much as I do when I watch Kurt Hummel is something amazing to me. Rachel, Sue and Kurt were already great characters. Cory made Finn great. The sensitivity that he is able to bring to Finn touches my heart in all the right ways. Let's face it, Finn has done some pretty shitty things on the show. But as a collective audience, we are able to forgive him more easily because of the earnestness, sensitivity and honesty that Cory brings to the character. Not only are his spoken lines always spot on, acting wise, but his background acting is something I marvel at. It's been noted recently that during Q & A sessions the interviewers sometimes confuse Cory himself with Finn the character. When interviewers begin to confuse the actor with the character, you know you've struck gold.

Wow, I had a lot to say about that, apparently.

Rosencrantz 13

Rosencrantz 13

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 1:37 PM

Great post, Scampkid. I loved reading your reasoning for each placement. Personally I'd switch around Jane to 1st and Cory to 3rd but other than that we'd have the same rankings. Except that I might add Mike O'Malley as my own personal No.1. Where would you insert O'Malley on your own list? (since he is a regular now).

gaby25

gaby25

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 2:13 PM

It's been noted recently that during Q & A sessions the interviewers sometimes confuse Cory himself with Finn the character. When interviewers begin to confuse the actor with the character, you know you've struck gold.

And yet Cory is nothing like Finn. For me he plays the most convincing teenager on the show eventhough he is the oldest of the "kid" actors. Take his voice for example. In real life, his voice is nothing like Finn's. I don't know if it's an acting choice but I find Finn's voice to be very soft and innocent. Cory's voice is much rougher and older. I can't really describe the differences, all I know is that I see it (if that makes sense).

ScampKid

ScampKid

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 3:23 PM

Great post, Scampkid. I loved reading your reasoning for each placement. Personally I'd switch around Jane to 1st and Cory to 3rd but other than that we'd have the same rankings. Except that I might add Mike O'Malley as my own personal No.1. Where would you insert O'Malley on your own list? (since he is a regular now).

Thanks! I don't really know where all those words came from, though. I didn't think I had that much to say about it all. Like I said, the Top 4, for me, just came down to personal preference. They all play such different characters that it makes them a little hard to compare. I think I would squeeze Mike O'Malley in between Jayma Mays and Matthew Morrison. He's had much more dramatic scenes than Jayma (and he's killed them), but Matt Morrison's babygate scene pushes him over the top for me. Like Reny Sue said, logically, I knew Will wasn't going to hit Terri, but I was still holding my breath.

totes4totes

totes4totes

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 3:40 PM

This is hard, arguably it is easy to divide the upper group and the bottom but yet with that you may think of the characterization that the writers have given. If you compare Naya Rivera and Jenna Ushkowitz season 1 they had comparably the same size part but Naya was given funnier more memorable lines and characterization to Jenna's more straight man (coinciding with the fact that the character of Tina is solely a plot device for the development of the character of Artie).

Now, there is the comic acting versus the dramatic acting. Is it fair to compare Heather Morris's mainly comedic part with Mike O'Malley's mainly dramatic one? I don't think so. Comedy and Drama are in a whole different boat. Now outside of Glee I know Mike O'Malley to have played comedic roles and therefore it would be plausible for me to rank him higher. However, Heather Morris has never had the opportunity to play a dramatic part.

Now I would disagree with most because I would place Dianna Agron on the same level as Chris Colfer. Both consistently turn out some of the most believable performances whatever they are given scriptwise (which is a bit where Matthew Morrison fails, because it is not just the writer but the actor which has to give a consistent character and Matthew doesn't do that as much as some). And Quinn's scenes are some of the most moving scenes for me and it is because Dianna Agron knows how to play dramatic without becoming overdramatic. It is completely understated and low key in a really good way.

Now with Cory Monteith, I don't think that he could have versatility in playing other roles. Like Scampkid said, people mistake him for Finn. That shows to me that he isn't so much acting as he is being himself. While there has been improvement since the first episode I would still rank him in the middle of my list.

Also I would probably put Jessalyn Gilsig and Jayma Mays pretty high on my list because I think of all of the characters on the show they are the most one-dimensional characters. And they do a fantastic job. I mean I am a Terri fan solely because Jessalyn Gilsig is such a good actress. And both actors fully commit to the insane characters they are given.

So here is my top 7

1. Jane Lynch
2. Mike O'Malley
3. Chris Colfer
4. Dianna Afron
5. Lea Michele
6. Jayma Mays
7. Jessalyn Gilsig

Edited by totes4totes, Oct 20, 2010 @ 3:44 PM.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 3:49 PM

People have already sung the praises of the heavies (Michele, Monteith, Colfer, Lynch, Morrison - the latter has the most inconsistent material of that group, apart from Lynch, whose character is inconsistent on purpose, but he still does well with fairly rounded material), so I'll focus on the more supporting-level actors. Their material usually isn't as rounded (ie, balanced between dramatic and comedic moments), but I don't think that indicates levels of talent, necessarily.

For the most part, I think the cast is pretty good across the board. I only occasionally have found that actors have fell short of whatever the script asked of them. In that respect, the main question marks would be Mark Salling (who does comedy well enough, but I don't know about some of the more serious moments) and Amber Riley (who was probably the weakest actor at the start of the show; she's improved a lot since then, her character hasn't been given much spotlight lately).

Jenna Ushkowitz I really have a hard time judging; they basically ignored her for most of the first season, so it wouldn't surprise me if, as an earlier poster commented, she may not have a complete grasp on who the character is. But I've thought she's been good this year.

Naya Rivera and Heather Morris are in a very similar boat: they're both ace comedians (I'd easily put them in the top five on the show), so far they haven't been given much "serious" stuff to do. What little of that they have been given has been very good, I really want to see more (particularly for Rivera, since Santana really strikes me as a character with loads of potential for real psychological examination if the writers want to go there).

Rosencrantz 13

Rosencrantz 13

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 6:57 PM

How on earth did you get cast? - Riley, Ushkowitz

I think Amber was cast based on her singing audition, since she sang 'And I Am Telling You'. Also in the Pilot ep Mercedes is only really required to be "sassy" and sassy is something Amber does well. It was only in 'Acafellas' when she needed to show a softer emotional side to her character that her acting proved weak. I think Amber improved in the Back 9 but the writers are wise to stick to the formula of giving Mercedes less story, more solos.

With Jenna...I honestly have to wonder if she got the role partly through her friendship with Lea. Or because she just looks great in Tina's wardrobe. I seem to remember in the 'Casting Tina' video that Ryan tells Jenna at her audition - "Tina's not there yet on the page. So just make her up." It sounds like the writers only had very vague ideas for Tina and were expecting an actor to come in and define the character. Jenna really hasn't managed to define Tina, like someone like Heather did with her role. Before Brittany really had lines I've heard that Ryan noticed HeMo was playing all her scenes in a very blank confused manner. It made Ryan laugh and so he wrote in that first great Brittany line "I find recipices confusing". And Brittany's character grew from there.

I think the actors inspiring their characters has always worked well on Glee. The characters of Sue, Rachel and Burt Hummel were all written with the actors in mind who ended up playing them. Chris Colfer inspired the character of Kurt with his audition. I get the impression that Heather and Naya started putting their own personal spin on Brittana when they were still just background players. Other actors like Jenna, Amber and Mark don't seem to be able to take their characters beyond what is on the page.

Colonel Green

Colonel Green

Stalker

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 7:10 PM

I remarked over in Jenna's thread that, in her defense, the Tina character, in broad strokes, isn't really suited to what Naya and Heather did with their characters; Tina's supposed to be (or was; that's a lot less evident this season) shy and quiet. That's not really the sort of character that can work well around the edges; the writers have to actually do the work to give her stories.

notJaneAustin

notJaneAustin

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 9:30 PM

I seem to remember in the 'Casting Tina' video that Ryan tells Jenna at her audition - "Tina's not there yet on the page. So just make her up." It sounds like the writers only had very vague ideas for Tina and were expecting an actor to come in and define the character.

Yeah, but at the same audition RM said as an aside to someone, "She's really good." And I remember thinking, meh, I just don't see it. Still don't.

Still would like to see more chances for Matt Morrison to really act in S2. I've been watching the earlier episodes, and even when his character didn't have a lot to do (or was written as weirdly inconsistent), he still had enough screen time to work in some personality. I miss seeing what he can do with the character.

Glad someone mentioned the brilliance of Stephen Tobolowsky! I think acting-wise he is definitely a standout among the smaller roles. (Plus, anybody who can make a bit part in Run Joey Run memorable deserves a nod.)

keelg

keelg

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 9:54 PM

With Jenna...I honestly have to wonder if she got the role partly through her friendship with Lea.

They both say it was coincidence. Jenna already had a call back when she heard Lea got the part. Jenna was hired like 9 days after Lea, but I think Lea was the first hired.

Jenna on knowing Lea before glee

Jenna has one of the thankless roles. She has never made me cringe like a couple have on occasion.

Edited by keelg, Oct 20, 2010 @ 9:56 PM.

totes4totes

totes4totes

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:06 PM

The thing with Jenna that separates her from Naya and Brittany is that she didn't have a character or really any relationships with anybody for season 1. Santana and Brittany were established as villains with Quinn (and because of their association it was easy to see jump to the best friends relationship as well) but Tina wasn't even in the picture until she became a love interest for Artie.

Again, Tina is just a character device for Artie's development with really no story of her own, so I don't blame Jenna for not developing a character when we hardly saw any of her and the writers gave her nearly 0 to work with.

catherin

catherin

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 1:48 AM

Cory made Finn great. The sensitivity that he is able to bring to Finn touches my heart in all the right ways. Let's face it, Finn has done some pretty shitty things on the show. But as a collective audience, we are able to forgive him more easily because of the earnestness, sensitivity and honesty that Cory brings to the character.

Scampkid whoever you are, you get it! I already love you. Let me blow you a thousand kisses from this side of the internet.

totes4totes Now with Cory Monteith, I don't think that he could have versatility in playing other roles. Like Scampkid said, people mistake him for Finn. That shows to me that he isn't so much acting as he is being himself. While there has been improvement since the first episode I would still rank him in the middle of my list.

You should take a look at a show called Kyle XY. Cory had the recurring role of the guy who dates the girl Kyle was in love with. He played the the cheating douchebag who later reveals his hidden homophobic tendencies. There's even a scene where he is outed as the school's biggest slut, it was totally believable.

I agree that Matthew Morrison is one of the best actors in Glee, he was great in Season One. However, in Season Two he hasn't been given any material at all. And he has sung only once in 5 episodes. This is a mistake that needs to be rectified.

notJaneAustin

notJaneAustin

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 7:31 AM

Jenna has one of the thankless roles. She has never made me cringe like a couple have on occasion.

I didn't think it was the role...others have had tiny background roles and still managed to convey enough emotion that we want to see more of them. For me, except for the angry!Tina "up in my grill" scene with Artie that one time, I haven't seen her convey any emotion at all. YMMV.

carly hope

carly hope

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

Glad someone mentioned the brilliance of Stephen Tobolowsky! I think acting-wise he is definitely a standout among the smaller roles. (Plus, anybody who can make a bit part in Run Joey Run memorable deserves a nod.)

He is brilliant indeed. He plays the sleazy, self-absorbed and psychotic so well.

I really enjoyed the little we have seen of Dot as well.

And definitely Figgins. Perfect casting.

VayaZ

VayaZ

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 2:06 PM

And definitely Figgins. Perfect casting.

Seriously. I could watch Figgins and Sue bitch for hours.

Illyria

Illyria

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

I enjoyed Figgins' monotone introduction to Toxic more than the performance itself. It was perfectly acted.

Bookworm06

Bookworm06

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 5:26 PM

I think what's tough here is that we've got a cast of people who were hired for different reasons. Some were hired for their acting skills, while others, I think, could only have been hired for their singing voices. And there's only three people that I think are really any good at both - Lea, Matthew, and Chris. (Cory does great work as Finn, but he can't sing a lick.) I do think the caliber of the writing for the character influences how I feel about the acting; I think Matthew's gotten some pretty weak material that does not allow him to shine. And sometimes the revolting nature of a character might influence my opinion; I tried extra hard in my assessment of Gilsig not to let my distaste for Terri seep through. Good actress with terrible, terrible material.

On the whole, I'd rather have the show be staffed with good actors who can sing a little, like Jane and Cory, over people who sing well and act woodenly, like Amber and Mark.

Figgins does a wonderful job.

Edited by Bookworm06, Oct 21, 2010 @ 5:31 PM.