Megan Calvet Draper: Doesn't Cry over Spilled Milkshakes

• Please log in to reply

1582 replies to this topic

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

As soon as I saw "previously on Mad Men...." and it was all the lovey Dover stuff from the premiere, I knew we were going to see some ugly Don/Megan scenes.

Riff Randell

Riff Randell

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:41 AM

Megan was wonderful this week. I loved her for getting angry about not being allowed to care about work while Don can, and not wanting to duck out on the Heinz presentation. I think she actually felt guilty when Peggy drunkenly ranted at Don's birthday party, but let those feelings become overshadowed by her anger towards Don at the time, which she redirected in her "you're all so cynical" speech to Peggy. I wish Don would come down with the fever again, maybe for a whole month this time, just so Megan could spend some uninterrupted time learning the copywriting ropes from Peggy.

They seemed far more like a father and daughter bickering than a husband a wife feuding.

I definitely saw this, too. It really creeped me out.

repag

repag

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

Maybe the thread title should be amended: "..... but orange sherbet's another matter". Wonder if a hot dog makes her lose control?

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

A question was raised in the episode thread for Far Away Places as to how the part of Megan was cast.

From what I've read (and probably what Weiner said in an episode commentary or two), he knew when they cast Megan that she ultimately would marry Don Draper, but the actresses auditioning for the part did not know that. Paré (who has a pretty lengthy film/TV resume) had to take it on faith that the role would be worth her time. Even so, I recall her saying she was surprised that in her first appearance (Christmas Comes But Once A Year), Megan had one line ("Yes, Joan") and was otherwise in the background, silently.

I think Paré is fine in the role, but I am often puzzled by how Megan is written.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

I don't think she's a bad actress, full stop, but I don't think she's done the preparation that most of the rest of the cast have. Her mannerisms and style of speaking are the way I'd expect them to be in a high school or college drama set in 2012. I think she'd be well served to immerse herself in watching movies and TV from the period she's meant to be portraying. The actress playing Jane did a fine job of it.

HollyTime

HollyTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

Can the costume designers please give Megan some decent undergarments, namely bras? Why does Joan get all the great push-up action and Megan is sagging and dragging. The scene in ep. 3 where she wants to go to the beach, her bikini top is just above her navel.

And in the post party bra & panties cleaning scene, things were pretty floppy.

taipai

taipai

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

It is her mannerisms that bother me. Everytime she takes a step she does this little hop skip thing and cranes her neck. It's very distracting to me. I was really hoping this would be the end of her. I was rationalizing it by thinking she wasn't promoting the season, so maybe she isn't going to be around much.

Birdhee

Birdhee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

It was mentioned in the episode thread that having worked with John Slattery on Jack and Bobby probably had a lot to do with Matt Long (Joey) and Jessica Paré being cast. I remember at the time, pre-S4, seeing a scan of the casting call sheet that had the character who became Joey on it. I wish I could find it again now, because it probably had a description of Megan too, among other early-S4 one-shot and recurring characters, and I wonder how detailed the description was.

I'm sure the Slattery connection didn't hurt in either case, but both actors came to the show rather than it coming to them.

In my opinion, Long was something of a "get" for MM in the role of Joey, not only because he had been lead in a couple of series but because he was better than was strictly necessary for the limits of that part. Paré I only find adequate. That was fine last year, but it's becoming more of an issue as Megan gets increasing focus and story.

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

Still can't stand Megan. She was being a brat in the HoJo's and just plain passive aggressive in the car "cough, cough." I'm pretty sure Don told her to get in the car, and she didn't. It's just to bad that MW has such a hard on for her, 'cause I'd really like for her to go away.

I'm still not seeing Megan being passionate about work. Like someone on the episode thread said: If she was really that intent on being a copywriter, she would have joined in with Don's brainstorming when he flipped the placemat. Again, she was just being a brat.

His "love" for her diminishes Don, in my opinion.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:34 AM

I don't like Megan either. I think if the writers wanted to marry Don off after his season of discontent (S4), they could have either written a different character or hired a better actress to play this one. It's too big of a part to be saddled with an actress who seems mediocre as best. I realize we only see Megan through Don's lens, but even that could come off in a more meaningful way. Again, I point to Peyton List as an example. Too bad the actresses couldn't have switched characters.

All that said, just looking at the characters themselves and not the actors who play them, I found myself feeling some sympathy for Megan for the first time since we met her in season 4. I still think she connived and manipulated herself into the position of Mrs Draper but I also think she is finding herself overwhelmed and maybe even a bit frantic, as she realizes what she's gotten herself into....that is, if she even fully understands it. If Megan grew up the youngest child in a happy, well adjusted family with two loving parents as role models, nothing in her life could have prepared her for this. We don't know her love life history: we assume she's had boyfriends.....perhaps no one really serious. Surely no one as f'd up as Don Draper, who leaves a trail of broken women in his wake. Don is not healthy. He doesn't respond in the normal manner one would expect in a disagreement. He is a master manipulator and verbal abuser, a crazy-maker. He's an alcoholic, which compounds the problems. And at 26, even with a mentally healthy person, Megan is going to make some bad communication mistakes in a relationship. Someone up thread mentioned this and I agree. I've been married 23 years and that first year of marriage saw some of the worst fights of our entire relationship. And I was 30 when I got married, not 26! So here she is, young and relatively inexperienced, dealing with a sociopathic personality. If she doesn't leave him first (which could destroy him, based on how much he seems to need this woman, or at least for her to be his fantasy of what he needs), he will destroy her. Betty had her own baggageand will probably never be happy, but if she had married a man like Henry from the get-go, she might have eventually figured it out and avoided the nervous breakdown.

So I'm guessing that Megan is probably terrified right now. She fell in love with a man she thought loved her deeply, was rich, charming, drop dead gorgeous and found herself saddled instead with an anti-social, verbally and emotionally, over controlling power monger. She probably wants it to work. The thought of failing in this marriage and running home to mommy and daddy is humiliating, especially for someone who seems so independent. So she will try to make it work, and Don will continue to dismantle her bit by bit.

Her parents upcoming visit should be interesting. I get the feeling they have not met Don before and they won't have stars in their eyes to prevent them from seeing what is happening to their little girl. Betty's father did not like Don...and with good reason.

Good sex is only going to take Megan so far. It can't sustain this.

I only wish they had cast an actress who was up for what this part is evolving to be.

Bento Box

Bento Box

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:15 AM

Megan's distaste for smoking in the car and her wish to eat and drink immediately at HoJo make me wonder if she's pregnant. Also the way Don fell to his knees and cradled his head against her stomach at the end of the fight...foreshadowing.

The orange sherbert fight mirrored the scene in California with the milkshake that made Don fall in love with Megan in S4. It looked like the same restaurant in fact...circular booth right next to the cash register, a candy-colored ice cream confection. But no laid back attitude from Megan about the ice cream treat. Which is what Don wants...a kind, compliant, yes-mommy type. Really kind of wish-fulfillment for someone who never had a mother.

Edited by Bento Box, Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:16 AM.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

Also, I missed what Megan said in the parking lot when Don drove away, but upon re-watch of that scene:

Megan screams at Don, "Get in the car! Eat ice cream! Leave work! Take off your dress! Yes, master.”

So she's obviously even starting to put sex in this "Don is an over-controlling bastard" category.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

I don't like Megan either. I think if the writers wanted to marry Don off after his season of discontent (S4), they could have either written a different character or hired a better actress to play this one. It's too big of a part to be saddled with an actress who seems mediocre as best. I realize we only see Megan through Don's lens, but even that could come off in a more meaningful way. Again, I point to Peyton List as an example. Too bad the actresses couldn't have switched characters.

Before the season started I figured we'd either see Don and Megan break up before they made it to the altar, or crash and burn by the middle of the season. I'm not convinced that Don and Megan's marriage is doomed, for a couple of reasons. We've seen Roger end two marriages, including a second marriage to a much younger woman. I'm not sure MW will go down that path again so soon. I could see the arc of the last 2 seasons of MM show Don and Megan fighting their way through bad times and working things out, even though it seems hard to imagine right now. (Sorry, I guess this should be in the Don and Megan thread.)

I am definitely in the camp that sees JP as a decent actress, and I'm liking the character more than I did. I certainly feel for her more now. I think the weakness is in the way she's written and that we have to see her as so pure and wonderful that Don can't possibly let her go, or that she's so amazing that whatever happens is all Don's fault, or whatever it is MW is aiming at.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

The only thing I can surmise about the timeline is that when Season 5 opened, they seem to have moved into the new apartment pretty recently. I would guess maybe within the previous month or two, given that Sally was still unfamiliar with it and there were some boxes around.

Just given how Don is about Megan, I can't imagine that they would have waited more than a few months to get married. A few months (Christmas or New Year's) sounds about right.

The discussion in the episode thread has touched on how Don and Megan are blurring the personal/professional lines in their relationship and how that affects them. But they are also starting to touch on the timing of the wedding and when Megan was made a copywriter, etc., so I thought I'd bring my thoughts on that over here.

We're making the assumption that Don and Megan were married pretty quickly. Makes sense to me. They return from California over Columbus Day weekend and Don proposes that next day. A Christmas/New Year's wedding/honeymoon to Acapulco makes sense, timing wise. Most likely, Don and Megan kept their own apartments for appearances sake (this was the 60s) but more likely, Megan pretty much moved in with Don in his Village apartment.

It also makes sense given Don's comments to Megan around Memorial Day that she'd only been a copywriter for 3 months, that she was promoted only after she officially became Mrs Don Draper 2.0.

But....what did Megan do between Columbus Day and after New Year's? Was she still a secretary? DON'S secretary? That would seem even weirder than her being a junior copywriter. And are they only just now blurring the personal/professional lines since Megan has duties other than secretarial?

I don't have any answers, just questions.

Maybe she took the time off after the engagement announcement to start looking for the apartment and then came back after the wedding as a copywriter?

I thought it was interesting that when Don announced the engagement, he said " it shouldn't change things around here..."

Oh, boy, did it change things around there!

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

It also makes sense given Don's comments to Megan around Memorial Day that she'd only been a copywriter for 3 months, that she was promoted only after she officially became Mrs Don Draper 2.0.

But....what did Megan do between Columbus Day and after New Year's? Was she still a secretary? DON'S secretary? That would seem even weirder than her being a junior copywriter. And are they only just now blurring the personal/professional lines since Megan has duties other than secretarial?

That does make me reconsider a bit, because it seems likely that Megan would have started her new job after their honeymoon. Maybe they got married, and then she took a month or so off and then came back to work as Mrs Don Draper, junior copywriter with a fabulous wardrobe.

He sure did her no favors by giving her that position. Indeed, a lot of the things that he sees as favors, kindnesses, perqs, etc. really aren't.

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

Megan's distaste for smoking in the car and her wish to eat and drink immediately at HoJo make me wonder if she's pregnant.

Well, we knew it was a long car ride -- it took her almost 7 hours by bus to get back to NYC. I would have been hungry/thirsty also.

And sitting next to a smoker in an enclosed space like a car with no open windows is far less tolerable than sitting next to a smoker in a living room or office.

Edited by newyawk, Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:03 PM.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Re: the smoking thing. Didn't the societal shift toward not smoking as a norm start happening around now? She doesn't seem to smoke. We know she wanted Don to either cut back or stop smoking when he was hacking up a lung during "Mystery Date."

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Didn't the societal shift toward not smoking as a norm start happening around now? She doesn't seem to smoke.

Yep, my father quit in 1964. I don't think we've ever seen Megan smoke, and you're right, she said something like "And Don? No smoking." during their phone call in Mystery Date. (now that I think about it, I'm wondering how she can stand Don's cigarette-breath when they kiss...)

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

I'm betting she would like him to stop completely, but I think the "and Don, no smoking" was because he was so sick.

Pete also told the partners not to smoke in his office.

StillTheSame

StillTheSame

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

I don't usually post, and apologize as I'm sure this has been discussed before.

BUT a friend of mine says that Megan is aware of Don's past and loves him warts and all, but she can't remember how or when this was shared by Don.

Can someone post as to whether Don shared this with Megan and if "yes", what season and episode? Thanks in advance.

I see him as sharing a vulnerable side with her that Betty has never seen. I LOVED the last episode where he chases her around the apartment and ends up with him on his knees holding her while she comforts him.
(At least that was my take on it).

ETA:

Thanks Luciaphile. So we don't know how much she knows. Interesting.

Edited by StillTheSame, Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:36 PM.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

BUT a friend of mine says that Megan is aware of Don's past and loves him warts and all, but she can't remember how or when this was shared by Don.

Can someone post as to whether Don shared this with Megan and if "yes", what season and episode? Thanks in advance.

We don't know how much she knows, but she does know he was/is Dick Whitman. She says that during the premiere when she teases him "nobody loves Dick Whitman."

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I see him as sharing a vulnerable side with her that Betty has never seen. I LOVED the last episode where he chases her around the apartment and ends up with him on his knees holding her while she comforts him.
(At least that was my take on it).

What Luciaphile said. Whatever he told her, it didn't happen during any show so we assume it happened between seasons. We also don't know how much he told her. I'm guessing he told her a cleaned up, romanticized version of his life. Perhaps more than he told Betty...don't know... but I'm also guessing he has never told ANYONE that after the real Don Draper died, he INTENTIONALLY switched the dog tags.

Megan might know his mother was a prostitute. I think he told that to Rachael as well. I'm sure she knows about his hardscrabble beginning and his abusive father and pious stepmother. He might have even told her about his half brother hanging himself. But I really doubt he's told anyone the real truth about how he got out of Korea. I think Faye knows the most and he told her the army made a mistake and he wanted them to so he let them believe it.

Also, that scene with Don on his knees? I didn't see Megan "comforting" him. We couldn't see her face, but based on her demeanor when they did make it into the office, I think she was very uncomfortable with the level of neediness and vulnerability Don showed. It was pretty pitiful.

Edited by rogaine2233, Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:02 PM.

Bento Box

Bento Box

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

Megan's distaste for smoking in the car and her wish to eat and drink immediately at HoJo make me wonder if she's pregnant

Well, we knew it was a long car ride -- it took her almost 7 hours by bus to get back to NYC. I would have been hungry/thirsty also.

Plattsburg (where the HoJo is) is 272 miles from NYC, or between 3 and 4 hours if they were going 75. Probably the bus took a lot longer because it makes stops.

StillTheSame

StillTheSame

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Also, that scene with Don on his knees? I didn't see Megan "comforting" him. We couldn't see her face, but based on her demeanor when they did make it into the office, I think she was very uncomfortable with the level of neediness and vulnerability Don showed. It was pretty pitiful.

It's interesting to see our different takes on this. Obviously, it could be interpreted either way.

We will see how it plays out in the weeks to come. I'm hoping they can make it as a couple and the scene was Megan showing compassion for Don.

I thought when they made it to the office they were ok. Maybe we saw different versions of the show. My rose colored glasses sometimes play tricks on me, so you are probably right.

I know when the scene where Don takes her out of her office was repeated, I thought my DVR was acting up.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

It's interesting to see our different takes on this. Obviously, it could be interpreted either way.

We will see how it plays out in the weeks to come. I'm hoping they can make it as a couple and the scene was Megan showing compassion for Don.

I thought when they made it to the office they were ok. Maybe we saw different versions of the show. My rose colored glasses sometimes play tricks on me, so you are probably right.

I know when the scene where Don takes her out of her office was repeated, I thought my DVR was acting up.

Maybe those two scenes are like a Rorschach test. If I were Megan, I think in the apartment scene I'd be emotionally and physically spent and deeply perturbed over the sides of Don's personality that I had seen over the previous 12 hours or so. I'd be surprised and disturbed over his raw neediness and I'd probably wonder if I was in over my head. Perhaps she still hopes that her love will be enough to fix him. I wonder if knowing how much he needs her feels a little good at the same time? Regardless, she might have started out the trip feeling like the kid who was sick of being put in her place by daddy only to realize that she is probably going to be the emotional caretaker in this relationship. In which case, she will have to continue to have to put her own needs and priorities, at least at work, on the back-burner.

I think most likely when they head into the office she is in walking on eggshells mode, and maybe he is too.

Jenn

Jenn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Glad to see Megan as something other than Don's walking talking redemption. From this episode, I got the impression that she's in massively over her head in this marriage.

If Don's stunt with the car left her in tears - how might she cope with the sort of stuff Don dished out to Betty during their marriage: the gaslighting, the disappearing in social situations, the casual cruelty? She seemed frightened and despondent after their weird apartment argument/chase. Every fight - to her - chips away at their relationship.

I'm wondering if that balcony scene in episode 1 might turn out to be significant after all.......

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

I'm wondering if that balcony scene in episode 1 might turn out to be significant after all.......

Man, I hope so. Jump, Megan, jump!

Mariagonerlj

Mariagonerlj

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

If Don's stunt with the car left her in tears - how might she cope with the sort of stuff Don dished out to Betty during their marriage: the gaslighting, the disappearing in social situations, the casual cruelty? She seemed frightened and despondent after their weird apartment argument/chase. Every fight - to her - chips away at their relationship.

Y'know, I honestly am curious about just this issue. So far, Megan seems to have mostly seen the "best" of Don. Although his smothering over-possessiveness might prove suffocating at times, he's clearly trying to be a better husband to her than he was to Betty (or at least, than he was at the tail-end of their marriage that we saw) and he's clearly doing his best to be "gentler" and "kinder." (Although we've seen that attempt go hilariously wrong in this episode. But if something as relatively (incredibly, incredibly relatively by Don's screwed up man-child standards) mild as this argument rattles her, how would she do when Don slowly starts showing more and more of his dismissive inner dick? (No pun intended.) I think he's clearly trying to be as loving as he can but I'm not buying the idea that he can really sustain it over the long run.

This issue also highlights the whole "Megan is stronger than Betty" issue to me as well. I keep reading about how Megan is supposedly a "stronger" woman than Betty is and that she's apparently much more willing than Betty is to be pro-active with Don. (As though Betty wasn't also the woman who kicked Don out of the house in Season 2 and confronted him about Dick Whitman in Season 3!) And yet, Megan strikes me as being a lot... softer, I guess, than Betty in some ways? Betty clearly has a history of being in abusive relationships via her mother than Megan (pampered baby of a large, loving family) lacks and I think that gave Betty something of a head-start on coping with Don's erratic and sometimes even abusive behavior. How will Megan act toward the same?

It's a shame her character is still so vaporous, even though she's actually gotten more interesting in this episode than she was previously. I don't even know where to begin with answering this question.

newyawk

newyawk

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

She was caressing the back of his neck while he clung to her. Her facial expression (which was shown in profile as they panned up)_also seemed to have softened. She also gave him a smile as they parted ways in the office. I don't think this marriage is necessarily doomed just yet.

Edited by newyawk, Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:13 PM.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

And this after he kicked down a door and chased her--when she was squealing in fear--around the apartment, knocking over lamps as he went. That he happened to turn around and cry as if he was the victim when he was done was better than it could have been, but he wasn't very vulnerable before that.

They did seem to decide to go back to the way they were and they're not finished yet, but it's hard for me to think that's necessarily a good thing.