1-5: "Casualties of War" 2010.10.18 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

99 replies to this topic

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 8:52 PM

Here we go again:

The CDC tries to identify the contagion and treat those infected as the biological threat intensifies; Simon asks Sophia to betray Thomas.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

So Sterling's 'Final Solution' for the detainees? That allegory was verrrry subtle.
Why do I think taking in Toepick for questioning is going to bite FBI lady on the ass?

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

Filming scenes involving the passengers in that grainy, panicky style did not make me care any more about those people or their situation. It just made me laugh harder. This show thinks itís 24!

So the psycho holding Leila has a secret heart of gold, because she raised a baby as her own after killing his entire family. This show went from zero to cartoonish super-villainy so fast my head is spinning. And then they do a second fucking flashback on this idiot plot point, with a mustache-twisting scoundrel saying, ďYou did kill that helpless little baby, didnít you?Ē Oooh, way to make us hate the right people, writers! That is some lazy, brain-dead writing, there!

I know itís meant to be taken seriously, but I canít do anything but laugh at this show. Well, I can keep a straight face when Blair and Zeljko are on the screen, but thatís it. Their scenes are so good, in fact, that I feel sorry for them. Theyíre making such a sincere effort on a show where nobody else is even trying. I donít really blame Jason Ritter or Laura Innes, because their characters have been written so shittily. But this show is stunningly bad, some of the actors on it deserve better, and I will only ever make fun of it, until it is mercifully canceled.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:15 PM

I keep tuning in each week and I keep wondering how they are going to stretch out this story to fill an entire season. It seems like the show eats up plot at a rapid pace while simultaneously not advancing the story whatsoever.

The show has an interesting premise and plenty of fine actors; but there is something off with the show that prevents me from loving it. Now that the show has been picked up for a full season, maybe they will change some of the writing and directing teams to right this wayward ship.

I suppose I should be happy that Sean and Leila are back together. It still makes no sense to me why they didn't just kidnap Sean in the first place if they needed him as it seemed like they were using Leila as bait. That question will probably never be answered just like the lingering question of why and how Sean knew to get on that plane in the premiere.

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

Good grief, couldn't they even TRY to get some of the details right? The CDC is in Atlanta, not suburban DC (and the passengers aren't being held in a CDC facility anyway)! And that was NOT the DC Metro. I don't know where it was -- probably a studio backlot somewhere -- but good grief, how hard is it to at least TRY to make the train look right?

I know I'm obsessing over stupid meaningless nitpicks. But they're so indicative of the shoddy job of creating this show that is becoming more apparent every week. At this point all I want is to find out whether Sophia & company are from another planet or, more likely, the future, and why they came back, and then they can cancel away. So producers, if you can manage to read the handwriting on the wall -- which is currently written in letters big enough to fill the side of a building -- please at least hit the high points before your show goes away! I'm tired of shows being canceled without ever finding out what the hell is going on. Even when they richly deserve it.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

I'm not buying Thomas's claim to have helped America go from decades away from a nuclear bomb to months away. The United States was ALREADY months away from a nuclear bomb in 1944- Chicago Pile-1 was in 1942. Then again, Thomas has a huge ego, so overestimating his contribution to the Manhattan Project is not out of character.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:21 PM

Well, I'm assuming they sent it to the CDC so it could be analyzed and synthesized for the passengers in Arizona.
And you can stop worrying about cancellation, it got the full season pickup.

ETA:

I'm not buying Thomas's claim to have helped America go from decades away from a nuclear bomb to months away. The United States was ALREADY months away from a nuclear bomb in 1944- Chicago Pile-1 was in 1942.

That's as far as you know.

Edited by AimingforYoko, Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:22 PM.

Bulldog

Bulldog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:21 PM

Am I the only one thinking that FLOTUS is one of the aliens?

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:23 PM

Well, I'm assuming they sent it to the CDC so it could be analyzed and synthesized for the passengers in Arizona.

Which, of course, only leads to more questions -- if Thomas is in DC with the antidote, and the passengers are in a bio containment facility in northern Virginia just outside DC, how does he get the antidote to the CDC in time to have it synthesized and delivered to the passengers within a couple of hours? There aren't any transporters in this show that I've seen yet.

Wow, NBC must be really desperate for programming!

ETA: They didn't SAY the CDC was in DC, hollyhox, but Thomas said he'd deliver the antidote to the CDC. Which caused my eyes to continue rolling. This show is hard on the eyes; they roll so much during the one hour that I'm afraid they're going to fall out one of these days.

Edited by Mama Tiger, Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:29 PM.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:25 PM

So producers, if you can manage to read the handwriting on the wall -- which is currently written in letters big enough to fill the side of a building -- please at least hit the high points before your show goes away! I'm tired of shows being canceled without ever finding out what the hell is going on. Even when they richly deserve it.

It ain't going away, but I still doubt the writers' ability to tell us what's going on, since they suck so massively.

Good grief, couldn't they even TRY to get some of the details right? The CDC is in Atlanta, not suburban DC

Damn, I missed that! If I'd caught them saying the CDC was in DC, I would've just turned off the TV. That's a dealbreaker.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:30 PM

That doesn't mean we'll get ANOTHER season. If the ratings in the following weeks are bad enough, NBC might even decide to cut the number of epsiodes (to 17, for example).

Edited by MichaelFi, Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:31 PM.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:31 PM

I like the show. Maybe I'm easy but Its good enough to keep me coming back. Plus aside from the silly find the girlfriend story (which appears to at least be over) I find it all at least interesting. I have a well developed suspension of disbelief so I don't really care about plot holes and the occasional inaccuracy for plot sake, as long as it tells a good story and so far so good.

Xenith

Xenith

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:33 PM

So if anyone was wondering what happened to Gretchen on Prison Break...she apparently moved and changed her name to Vicky...ugh.

Did they really just show us a flashback we've already seen? Nice attempt to waste yet more time...

Why did they need Leila alive after her phone conversation with Sean...

Was anyone else screaming (in their head) at Leila to bump the dam mouse to make the incriminating screensaver go away before someone else saw it... Of course she also wasn't bright enough to not keep glancing at the guy suspciiously... Then again he wasn't smart enough to wipe the dam blood off the desk...

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:34 PM

and I will only ever make fun of it, until it is mercifully canceled.

You'll have to wait atleast a year or so, apparently this show has been picked up for the full season.

I'm still not clear on what they needed Sean for but i'm glad we won't have to hear him whine anymore about finding Leila. So the same chick who killed a police officer a few weeks ago because he pulled her over has now all of a sudden gone soft and let's Leila and Sean go.

Filming scenes involving the passengers in that grainy, panicky style did not make me care any more about those people or their situation.

I'm with you on this. Except for the pilot, we have no reason to care about any of those other passengers, plus they already reported the plane crashed, so it would have been very easy for the Pres to let them die.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:40 PM

I'm still not clear on what they needed Sean for but i'm glad we won't have to hear him whine anymore about finding Leila. So the same chick who killed a police officer a few weeks ago because he pulled her over has now all of a sudden gone soft and let's Leila and Sean go.

After Sean essentially threatened her daughter- I have no problem with the idea that professional assassins love their kids.

Kara6891

Kara6891

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

And that was NOT the DC Metro. I don't know where it was -- probably a studio backlot somewhere -- but good grief, how hard is it to at least TRY to make the train look right?

It doesn't bode well that this was the only thing I was looking forward to seeing. Man, they couldn't even get the color of the train right. What's with all that yellow??

I like the show. Maybe I'm easy but Its good enough to keep me coming back. Plus aside from the silly find the girlfriend story (which appears to at least be over) I find it all at least interesting. I have a well developed suspension of disbelief so I don't really care about plot holes and the occasional inaccuracy for plot sake, as long as it tells a good story and so far so good.

I have to agree. Having what's her face help Sean get Leila is enough to get me coming back. I want to know if there is going to be fallout for her with the "others".

CubicleDrone

CubicleDrone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:42 PM

The first lady got on my nerves. It's so easy to stand on the moral high ground when you're not the one having to make the decision. He's the president. He will have to make plenty of hard choices while in office. It seems to me she should understand that. I think it was Kennedy who said the president makes tough choices because all the easy decisions are handled by those lower than him. Although, on the other hand, advisors seem so quick to sacrifice innocent lives. But then they're lives aren't the ones at stake. As long as it is someone else, then the people are collateral damage.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:47 PM

This show is like running on a hamster wheel; whatever ends up happening never gets the plot anywhere because the characters keepo ending up where they started off. Raise your hand if you were surprised that the alien guy finally relented and saved the airplane passengers. That story wasted the better part of the hour. It's like that every week. Yeah, I think I'm pretty much done with this steaming turd of a show.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 9:48 PM

Perhaps all the inconsistencies of the color of the Metro train and where the CDC is located and how the Manhattan Project progressed can be explained by the fact that we are looking at an alternate universe. Things in Event World look a lot like "our" world, but they are not the same. (O.K., writers there's your out; I gave it to you for free.)

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

I must be really easy, because I love this show! I loved the throw away line from Thomas when asked how he was going to let all those people (from the plane) die. He said "they are going to die any way so who cares"
Sounds like The Event could be a planet wide apocalypse. Excellent!

I am glad that Sean and Layla are together again. I said to myself "moving on" when they were making out, now we can concentrate on bigger and better things!

First Lady bugs, she's not allowed to get pissy about decisions that the Pres. "almost" makes, concentrate on the ones he follows through on missy!

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

This show is like running on a hamster wheel; whatever ends up happening never gets the plot anywhere because the characters keep ending up where they started off. Raise your hand if you were surprised that the alien guy finally relented and saved the airplane passengers. That story wasted the better part of the hour. It's like that every week. Yeah, I think I'm pretty much done with this steaming turd of a show.

Totally. At least in the first few episodes they were giving us exciting cliffhangers, and occasionally exciting guest stars (what the hell happened to Tony Todd and Clea DuVall?) Last 2 episodes, we got nothin'.

Perhaps all the inconsistencies of the color of the Metro train and where the CDC is located and how the Manhattan Project progressed can be explained by the fact that we are looking at an alternate universe.

Oh, hell no! Fuck no! Let's not give credit where credit isn't due! Don't imagine this is as good as Fringe or something else it's not. Remember: you criticize the show you're watching; not the show you wish you were watching!

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

He said "they are going to die any way so who cares" Sounds like The Event could be a planet wide apocalypse.

Either that or zombies can't stay reanimated for long ;-)

At least this time they got put their cities the proper distance apart. Lubbock to Snyder, Texas is indeed a slightly over one hour drive.

vega07

vega07

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

This episode was so bad.

First Lady is uber annoying.

The passenger were horrible actors and the grainy filter and stuttering picture sucked ass.

The shoot-out and escape scene was the most far-fetched scene of this show.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

Not the most unpredictable. There's something about the way they film... When they said "kill everyone in the house... and I mean everyone" or whatever the line was, I immediately said "oh, maybe this is where Vicky gets her kid". Although... now that we know what happened, I don't really get her keeping the baby. Why not just save his life and drop him at an orphanage somewhere? Why keep him when she obviously doesn't have time to actually raise him?

Also, "your son's picture goes viral"? Wtf? Can't you just see it, the next youtube sensation, a photo of some random kid with a note saying "this kid's mom is an assassin!!!!!". Wouldn't it make more sense to threaten to send it to specific people, like law enforcement or her enemies? What does he mean by viral?

Mmm, Jason Ritter kicking down doors. I'm fully enjoying the show on that level. I'm a little surprised Sean shot the guy with no hesitation. Of course, that guy wasn't innocent at all, and it was clearly in self-defense, but for some reason I thought they were going to keep him as more of an unambiguous disney-type hero, who would at least feel bad about killing someone.

I don't know why but I was a little bored by the president's plotline. Don't make threats you don't intend to follow through on. I think he was lucky it worked. Has he thought about the possibility that there is a whole powerful alien civilization out there somewhere that will be pissed that their people were locked up for all these years, let alone if they were killed?

Does the president's wife not understand the whole "we don't negotiate with terrorists" policy?

Am I the only one thinking that FLOTUS is one of the aliens?

Hmm, well, they said that her mother and the president's mother came over from Cuba together, so its not impossible but it would sure be a Long Con.

What traceable material can be added to someone's food and water? Sounds like it must be radioactive and probably carcinogenic... But I didn't bother to look it up-- maybe someone else knows?

Was anyone else screaming (in their head) at Leila to bump the dam mouse to make the incriminating screensaver go away before someone else saw it...

Yeah, seriously.

He said "they are going to die any way so who cares" Sounds like The Event could be a planet wide apocalypse.

Or it could be in the sense of "we live so much longer, they are about to die relative to us".

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:07 PM

That Metro train was from the LA subway system. The various lines are color-coded and painted on the train. When I was there last year, we confused Red with Purple and almost ended up going the wrong direction before a kindly conductor set us straight.

So Simon is an original Other, not born later. I suppose having kids would be just too problematic for them in a shorter-lived society. And it sounds like they simply crashed and need to go home but human tech isn't there yet--which would explain 66 years of patience. When Thomas looked at the 1944 radio, I thought he was going to mumble about stone knives. :)

Since Sean now seems to have no story, I worry that he and/or Leila will fall into enemy hands once more.

deletia

deletia

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:07 PM

[Sean hangs up the phone in the middle of his conversation with Vicki]
FBI agent: "Did she go for it?"
Sean: "I don't know. I hung up on her before she could respond."

wtf, folks. Get it together.

So the psycho holding Leila has a secret heart of gold, because she raised a baby as her own after killing his entire family.

Yes. This. When they cut away from her with the baby and the gun, it was immediately obvious that they were playing the "heart of gold" card, as stupid as that may be. I am only glad that they played the whole thing out in one episode rather than dragging it out.

On a bright note, I too appreciated that our hero shot the faux police guy. It makes a bit more of a statement than most of this cliched crap.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

I am glad that Sean and Layla are together again.

*Does double take* "Layla" is my daughter's spelling, the show's character is "Leila." Ironically, Sean was my Layla's finace 10 years ago. Not sure I'd be glad they were together again.
Back to Leila & Sean: Sad that the only reason I'm glad they're back together is because we don't have to hear him yelling about her anymore. Still no mention of her little sister. Is she no longer in the show?

My biggest puzzlement was how Thomas would drop off antidote at the CDC without getting caught. And how did he make them all start bleeding anyway?

The only line I liked was "they're all going to die anyway" because I thought he was referring to humans dying of old age, but now I see here that the consensus is a more mustache twirling event. Oops. Did I just say "Event"?

Editing to add: The FLOTUS is so un FL-like. The only thing more unbelievable was the whole Nazi gas chamber set up...and the fact that none of the good guys got shot at the police station, only the bad guys. OK. That's enough whining for now.

Edited by shapeshifter, Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:28 PM.

Mama Tiger

Mama Tiger

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

I don't think Sean shot the faux police guy; he was bleeding from the back. I thought Vicki came up behind him and shot him. I don't care enough about it, though, to rewatch the scene and find out for sure.

It's strange -- some shows can have plot and writing holes big enough to drive a truck through (Lost, anyone?) and I'm still sucked in and held captive by almost every episode. This show I'm actually enjoying, for no known reason, but I just don't really care about any of these people, so all the little nitpicks just jump out at me and I can't suspend disbelief long enough to dismiss them like I do with better shows.

I appreciate that they have lots of action -- and one of the highest body counts I've seen in ages -- but thus far there's been zero character development. It would behoove them to invest a bit of time in some of the main characters in terms of letting them actually grow and change, or else the show will end up even more of a live action cartoon than it is already.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 12:16 AM

I'd like Vicky a lot better (as a character, not so much as a person), if she had just killed the baby.

First Lady bugs, she's not allowed to get pissy about decisions that the Pres. "almost" makes, concentrate on the ones he follows through on missy! She bugged me, too. Especially because I think the president made the right decision. And I don't think she's in any position to make judgments on what the President does, since she doesn't have all the information he does. Although he does consult with her a lot more than I think a president would. Do first ladies normally know all the government secrets?

[Sean hangs up the phone in the middle of his conversation with Vicki]
FBI agent: "Did she go for it?"
Sean: "I don't know. I hung up on her before she could respond."

Gah! I noticed that, too! That's so annoying.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 12:18 AM

I'm quite pleased with the episode. The show is way hokey but things are happening and I'm enjoying the ride. I have to say the Sean/Leila part of the show is what I'm hooked on. The killer with a heart of gold has me intrigued. Stealing a baby from a family she killed. How very Ben Linus of her!

I figure the next part of that storyline will be Sean and Leila trying to find Leila's sister.

The First Lady has to be one of them. She's too annoying to be human!