Vampire Diaries Online: Blogs That Don't Suck!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

147 replies to this topic

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:36 PM

I wanted to share the link below and thought a new thread might be a good idea. I think it's a funny, different style recap.

This doesn't take away my love for Cindy's recaps and I'm always quick to tweet/forward her link as soon as it goes up...so I don't want to step on her toes...I do know that Cindy also follows this guy on Twitter. (Cindy, if you do see this, I hope you know I don't mean any disrespect!)

http://www.thomas-ga...om/blog/?p=2259

Enjoy :)

swtrgrl

swtrgrl

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 8:26 AM

OMG, that is pretty close to being as great as AfterElton's Facebook Torchwood recaps! Hilarious.

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 8:34 AM

I'm so glad at least SOMEbody else liked it...I was introduced to his blog just a couple of episodes ago and died laughing...I went back and read over a bunch of other epis and now it's part of my "Friday after TVD" routine. 1. Read Cindy's recaplet. 2. Read TWoP comments 3. Read @thomascgalvin. 4. Re-watch to see what I missed that everybody else picked up on. LOL

I've never seen Torchwood but I'll still take a look at AfterElton's stuff :)

Edited by erintalkscrap, Oct 12, 2010 @ 8:38 AM.

kmcarte

kmcarte

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 11:49 AM

Great idea for a thread! I'm checking out the link you posted now (awesome so far) and thought I'd post one of my own.

http://www.foreveryo.....pire Diaries"

The ladies at forever young adult have been doing drinking game recaps of the second season, as well as some comparisons between the book and the show. The site does a lot of young adult book recaps which I enjoy a lot, so I think it's good for ppl who want to compare the two. The site can be a little hard to navigate though, so I recommend either using the search feature or starting at the home screen and moving back.

Enjoy!

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 2:59 PM

Thanks! I can't take the credit though, I was just going to post the link in the episode thread but TWOPBarnes suggested starting a new topic altogether :)

So, I think from here on in I'm going to start hosting TVD Thursday parties and playing the drinking game according to FYA ladies rules. Love it!! :) And, another fun read. Thank you kmcarte!

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2010 @ 7:05 PM

Thomas Galvin's new "recap" is up...so funny! Enjoy :)

http://www.thomas-ga...om/blog/?p=2343

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2010 @ 10:31 PM

luvthistle1, the fan fiction thread is here. Your link is a better fit in that, so I moved it.

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Oct 24, 2010 @ 10:32 PM.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Oct 24, 2010 @ 11:19 PM

Oh erin, please don't feel like you have to explain or anything. I LOVE Thomas Galvin's TVD write-ups. The only thing I dislike about covering this show is the fact that I have to wait so long to read TVD commentary. I'm so afraid I'll accidentally plagiarize that I always hold off until I've sent off the weecap to editorial.

Here are some of my favorite TVD sites/commentators:

http://www.vampire-diaries.net/ (really comprehensive coverage + book info, too)
http://www.heroinetv.com/ (Lucia covers multiple shows, but she's TVD & heroine heavy)
http://thetelevixen.com/ (lots of podcasts with contributors from other sites)
http://blog.zap2it.c...thebox/2010/10/ (Carina MacKenzie does the TVD coverage; great interviews)

There are a lot more, but that's enough for now. Also, I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/CindyMcLennan. I usually follow back (although I'm a bit behind), unless you have a locked account, or primarily post in a language other than English. If you shout out to me and let me know you're a TWoPper, I'll follow right back.

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:36 AM

LOL, Thanks Cindy! I think I might love you. Just thought you should know! ;)

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 4:18 PM

Okay now I have to post this because Thomas Galvin is getting way too much love in my mind while that poor gal from First Novels Club is overlooked. I love her stuff, and while I smile mildly at Thomas Galvin (sometimes) she has the ability to really crack me up, even upon rereading.

With every episode there is at least one snark piece that I want to tatoo into my brain forever.

The Exchange of Longing Looks Between Stefan and Elena

Stefan: *longing look*

Elena: *longer look*

or

Tyler: Girls have asses and asses are hot. Therefore girls are hot. OMG, I understand geometry.

Sadly, she didn't write for 1-20 to 1-22 and hasn't posted the 2-06 recap yet.

Edited by Hamnoo, Oct 25, 2010 @ 5:14 PM.

White Lies

White Lies

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:51 PM

Okay, those recaps are seriously the most epic thing ever.

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 7:15 AM

Okay, those recaps are seriously the most epic thing ever.

LOL I know, right! I love the fully detailed recaps 'cuz I love seeing what I've missed (if anything, lol) but the summary style, tongue in cheek ones make me laugh my face off :)

ETA

And, Hamnoo, I've taken a look at your "First Novels Club" link and liked it. For me though, I'd still have to go with Thomas Galvin as the one who gives me more "dying laughing" moments. But what strikes us as hysterical is a personal thing, I guess :)

Here are some of Cindy's little pieces of brilliance that made me literally LOL this week:

"Brick House has hidden the moonstone somewhere small, dark and wet. NO! Not there. In a well, you pervs."
"I'd rather have the hot-poker treatment from Damon. Yeah, no, even the non-euphemistic kind."
"Katherine Kaka Face"
"...like Sue Grafton, but fangy-er."
*dead*

Edited by erintalkscrap, Oct 26, 2010 @ 7:28 AM.

swtrgrl

swtrgrl

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 8:37 AM

"...like Sue Grafton, but fangy-er."

My favorite.

Schumiac

Schumiac

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 9:58 AM

Always a fun read is: http://tvrecappersan...ampire-diaries/

The visuals help a lot, too...

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 10:59 AM

The visuals help a lot, too...

It's funny...like I said before, I think it's all about personal taste or perception. I didn't mind that recap and I loved the screencaps and pics of the actors (whether they were from the actual show or not...how can you not love a shirtless Ian Somerhalder?) but the extra comics added in didn't do it for me. They sort of took me out of the "episode". :)

kmcarte

kmcarte

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 10:04 AM

Wow, in the second photo from the one Shumiac posted, Nina looks like an actual barbie doll. If someone told me that was a photo shopped picture made using Tonner dolls I would 100% believe them. Just, Wow.

ETA: link for clarity: http://tvrecappersan...-damon-kath.png

Edited by kmcarte, Oct 27, 2010 @ 10:05 AM.

Morrigan8472

Morrigan8472

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 6:09 PM

She has a long (yet elegant) neck, a small head, and big hair. Gorgeous girl, but it's hard for her to avoid that look.

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 30, 2010 @ 8:23 AM

This isn't my most favourite episode recap of Galvin's but there were a few comments that made me LOL:

http://www.thomas-ga...om/blog/?p=2367

- Ms. Flowers' Vampire Storage Unit -
Katherine Pierce: Hi Ms. Flowers! Thanks for carrying all my crap up to my room for me!

The Girlfriend: Is she a witch?

Thomas: In the books, yes. In the show, no idea.

Lucy: Hi Katherine!

Thomas: On the other hand, since this chick is African American-

The Girlfriend: -She must be a witch.

Lucy: I'm a witch!

Katherine Pierce: I'm going to the Masquerade Ball! You should come! As my date!

The Girlfriend: A lesbian witch!

Thomas: Best. Show. Ever.

- Lockwood Estates - Corner of Condescension -
Lucy: There's another witch involved! I'm unhappy!

Katherine Pierce: Really? Because I'm thinking about ripping your throat out right here.

Lucy: I'm suddenly less unhappy! Tee hee!

Jeremy Gilbert: Hi Katherine! Stefan and Damon are down by the lake!

Katherine Pierce: Aw, who's a little vampire hunter? You is, yes you are! *Head pat*.

Edited by erintalkscrap, Oct 30, 2010 @ 8:28 AM.

nanillac

nanillac

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 31, 2010 @ 12:29 AM

My favourite sequence:

- Lockwood Estates – Clearing of Clear Thinking -

Stefan Salvatore:
Hi Elena! Katherine’s gone, so we can be together now!

Elena Gilbert: Yeah, so… the fact that this one single threat is gone doesn’t actually change the fact that like a dozen of my friends have died and I’ve been kidnapped like a bajillion times since we’ve been going out.

Bella Swan: Aneurism.

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 31, 2010 @ 10:08 AM

nanillac: I liked that part too. I actually love it when he brings in the Twilight characters for nonsense comments :)

And I actually love how he summarized Elena's thoughts here. I was just commenting in the episode thread about people being angry (like actually angry enough to say they're done with the show) about Elena not running right back to Stefan...but it makes a whole lot of sense to me and Galvin actually had his Elena put it into words...this isn't just the run of the mill, normal for Elena's life, danger...a LOT has happened in the last few episodes. Enough to make her finally stand back and think. Not a bad thing. :)

Edited by erintalkscrap, Oct 31, 2010 @ 10:09 AM.

nanillac

nanillac

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 31, 2010 @ 4:13 PM

erintalkscrap - I completely agree.

Thomas Galvin's recaps are hilarious [I read the first one you posted... then obsessively went back and read them all], but more than that I get a great deal of satisfaction from his direct comparisons between Twilight and TVD, especially with regards to Elena. I sometimes feel like she gets short shrift as she doesn't get 'emotional' with fatal results. But she's a strong character and worthy of the role of anchor for the show.

In fact, when I read this I wished the TVD writers had been as clear about Elena's thoughts as Galvin was, because I think they make perfect sense! I was going to post the same comment in the episode discussion thread but got lazy and didn't.

(like actually angry enough to say they're done with the show)

Really? ::immediately goes to read up::

Edited by nanillac, Oct 31, 2010 @ 5:49 PM.

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 31, 2010 @ 5:02 PM

I'm thining that maybe they're leaving this open for a minute so that when the whole kidnapping thing is overwith Elena & Stefan can have a full conversation on what she was really thinking and why she really needs a minute. *fingers crossed*

And yeah, it was really more the "girls" on my Twitter timeline that were absolutely angry..."so over the show"..."Stefan should've kicked her into the lake" blah blah blah. Most of these people are just girls that have followed me because of somebody that we have in common...but as a grown woman, I was shaking my head. I didn't start my Twitter account solely for the purpose of tweeting during shows...so watching all the nonsense made me laugh but also frustrated me, lol.

SillyMamma

SillyMamma

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2010 @ 9:02 AM

Really liked this writeup: http://acaseoftheblo...pisode-2-7.html

The guy really thought through how TVD differentiates its villains from, say, Heroes, and how the minor characters have been given an opportunity to evolve in S2.

miashay

miashay

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2010 @ 8:49 AM

For some reason I can't quite fathom, I've begun compiling lists of recaps for shows I like, starting with The Vampire Diaries. Now, I'm working on podcasts. So far, I've found two that aren't too bad, Chuck and Tina Spread TB & VD and Just Another Judicious Podcast, but I'm looking for more. You guys have any other suggestions?

Hamnoo

Hamnoo

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

Just discovered the recaps from Price Peterson. Very simple, funny, and spot-on, with awesome screencaps (sometimes with an even more hilarious caption) to underline his (?) thoughts.

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

Just discovered the recaps from Price Peterson.

You know, it's funny...I started this whole thread to share my love of Thomas C. Galvin's blog/recap and Galvin JUST posted the Price Peterson one as one of his favourites. :)

Thomas Galvin's recap is up:

http://www.thomas-ga...om/blog/?p=2415

I loved this week's "edition"...a couple of my fave parts:

- Forbes House of Werewolf Sympathizers -

Caroline Forbes: And then Matt was like Grr! and I was like Elbow! and Matt was like Unconscious! and Tyler was like Woah! but then Sarah was like Stab! and Tyler was like Shove! and Sarah was like Dead! and we were all like Oh Snap! and then the moon was like Hello! and Tyler was like Werewolf! but that's like a Secret! so I told everyone it was an Accident! and everyone was like Oh okay then let's just get rid of the body and hey has anyone seen that black girl lately? and I was like No!

Damon Salvatore: That's great... so, why did you cover for that douche nozzle again?

- Mystic Falls High - Hallway of Lycanthropic Inquisitions -

Tyler Lockwood: Hi Caroline! I was just wondering how you know that I'm a werewolf.

Caroline Forbes: How do I know that you wear a wolf? Dude, our school mascot is a wolf, and you're on the football team! Of course you wear a wolf!

- Broke-Ass Palace - Back Room of Bargaining -

Rose: Now, just so we're clear, this deal will make us even, right?

Elija: I have complete authority to pardon you and your boyfriend, if I so desire. And I promise that I will pardon you, once you give me the actress that plays Katherine. Also: I relish the fact that English doesn't differentiate between the singular and plural forms of the second person. </lawyer>

Rose: Wait, what?

:)

Edited by erintalkscrap, Nov 5, 2010 @ 8:55 PM.

clooless

clooless

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 5:11 AM

I have complete authority to pardon you and your boyfriend, if I so desire. And I promise that I will pardon you, once you give me the actress that plays Katherine. Also: I relish the fact that English doesn't differentiate between the singular and plural forms of the second person. </lawyer>

Ha! As Marshall Eriksen would say... "Lawyered".

I wanted to add my favourite bits in there, but then I realized I'd probably just be quoting the whole thing. So funny!

And speaking of funny, here's a nifty little tumblr that is dedicated to Katherine's obsession with Stefan, based on this quote from "Masquerade":

"In 1987 you were in Chicago, at a concert of all places, with that wench, Lexi. Come on, Stefan, don't look so surprised. Of course I checked in on you over the years. You were standing in the front row, dancing all night. You were watching Bon Jovi, and I was watching you."

And I Was Watching You: Katherine Stalks Stefan Through The Centuries. It's gotten popular very, very quickly (and for good reason... it's HILARIOUS!); Nina Dobrev even tweeted about it!

swtrgrl

swtrgrl

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 9:16 AM

Hilarious, indeed. BWAH!

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 11, 2010 @ 10:12 AM

And I Was Watching You: Katherine Stalks Stefan Through The Centuries. It's gotten popular very, very quickly (and for good reason... it's HILARIOUS!); Nina Dobrev even tweeted about it!

I saw this when Nina tweeted about it...so funny! :)

erintalkscrap

erintalkscrap

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 3:01 PM

Thomas Galvin's recap is up:

http://www.thomas-ga...om/blog/?p=2482

- Vampire Hipster Grill & Bar Inc -

Slater the Hipster Vampire: Hi Rose! Welcome to my Double-Paned UV-Tempered Vampire Protecting Bright And Sunny But Not Explodey Hipster Bar and Grill! Hi Damon Salvatore, turned 1864 by Katherine Pierce, AKA Katerina Petrova! How’s things in Mystic Falls, home of the Bennet Witch’s Vampire Tomb of Not Escaping?

Damon Salvatore: I really need to take that stuff off my Facebook profile.

- The Vampire Tomb of Not Escaping -

Elena Gilbert: So what exactly do you need to break the curse?

Katherine Pierce: Let’s see… you need a magic moon rock, and a you, and a vampire, and a werewolf, and a witch..

Elena Gilbert: But Bonnie’s a witch! And Tyler’s a werewolf! And Caroline’s a vampire! And I’m a me! And that rock is both magical and moon-ey!

Katherine Pierce: Wow, what an odd coincidence!

:)