1-4: "A Matter of Life and Death" 2010.10.11 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

87 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

TV Guide sez:

The White House's only hope for stopping a biological threat rests on breaking Sophia during interrogation; Vicky and Carter await instructions on what to do with their hostage; Collier stumbles across Vicky's secret during her search for Leila; a White House-connected businessman (Hal Holbrook) with knowledge of classified intelligence emerges from the shadows.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:00 PM

That FBI lady shooting the driver in the car behind them while telling Jason Ritter how to drive was BADASS. (And, I realize, highly unlikely.) I like Ritter being paired with FBI lady more than I like him and his stupid girlfriend, anyway.

Those zombie passengers are so freakin’ melodramatic. “Why can’t I remember?!” Shut up, that’s why! And Thomas’ revenge is to give them all simultaneous nosebleeds?

That little boy’s name was Plot Device, right?

This episode was just too stupid. I could overlook the stupidity in the last few episodes because of the frenetic pace and the bizarre cliffhangers. But this one just rolled over and played dead. And they’re back to the excessive and pointless use of flashbacks. Who says, “Welcome to the family” to a guy their daughter’s dating?

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

I wondered why they were going to kill Leila when they didn't have Sean, but it was all a long con. Man, they sure have no problems killing LEOs.

Kara6891

Kara6891

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:11 PM

Who says, “Welcome to the family” to a guy their daughter’s dating?

Lol. That part didn't bother me nearly as much as when the mom told Leila "I think you found a good one"....or something to that effect. And I was thinking "With all THAT baggage??...Oh hell naw".

Throughout the whole episode I was thinking how silly it was that Vicky and the rest of these people have the intelligence to do all the things they do, but couldn’t think to buy a pair of decent handcuffs. Heck they could have taken a pair from that cop that Vicky shot the other day. But by the end of the episode it was made clear why they left Leila with only tied up wrists.

I love how blasé Sean was about his phone going dead. I mean its not like he has a kidnapped fiancé that might want to reach him. Lol.

Ummm….now why would they go through all the trouble of finding Sean when Vicky had him all to herself on their little snorking trip. They could have snatched him up right there. I'm just not getting the point of this.

cjuniverse

cjuniverse

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:12 PM

I want to love this show but it's starting to go into the Flash Forward territory for me. This episode was kind of boring. The escape felt really fake. I understand it was a long con but jeez writers, make it look real. It just felt way too easy. You don't want the watcher to know something isn't right (or know that it's a con). The flash-backs made no sense. I really want to like this one but It's drifting. I'm gonna continue watching though because there's nothing else on and hopefully it will get better. The pace is moving a little too slow.

idiotboxlover

idiotboxlover

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

This show does do endings very well. Just enough to get you to tune in for next week. I knew dropping the beer bottle glass would lead to something but I did not expect they did it on purpose.

The actors playing the passengers were alll awful. Laughable line deliveries there.

I'm glad to see the show is employing actors who haven't gotten much work in recent years. I spotted "Kieko"- Chief O'Brien's wife from Star Trek Deep Space Nine, the serious (as oppossed to ditzy) daughter from Too Close for Comfort and of course the dad from Boy Meets World as the blondish cop.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

dad from Boy Meets World

Ah, the different generations. You see Alan Matthews, I see Roger LoCocco from Wiseguy. I kept waiting for him to call D.B. Sweeney 'Buckwheat.'

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:34 PM

I missed the very beginning so maybe someone can explain something to me. In this episode Leila was being held in Texas, were they also in texas last episode when she was being held in the shipping crate? Also why do they keep moving her around?
And Sean and his FBI friend last week were in Arizona and this week did they go from Arizona to Texas in the time of one commercial?

It was nice to see Sophia finally speak, but I don't know why the President would trust anything she says. If she doesn't agree with this Thomas guy and knows what his plan might be, why doesn't she just say what the plan is so they can possibly stop it.
This show really bugs but I'm going to keep watching every stupid minute of it because it's fun to pick apart.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:34 PM

the serious (as oppossed to ditzy) daughter from Too Close for Comfort

Damn! Good eye, idiotboxlover! I knew the grandma looked familiar, but I couldn't place where I'd seen her before. Her playing a Grandma makes me feel so old.

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:40 PM

Honestly the only thing I DON'T like about the show is the Jason Ritter and the Girlfriend drama. I like Jason Ritter fine but its the whole "must find girlfriend" thing that's not gelling with me.

Love Sofia and the Prez. They are the best part of the show for me. Watching these two together make any episode. I'm not quite sure who I am rooting for.

I got a little giggle when Sofia and Mrs. Prez met (I flashed back to ER for a second and my dirty little mind squeed a little).

I enjoyed the melodramatic zombies (hey I'd be a little melodramatic too if I just became a zombie.)

jmz

jmz

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

I'm still liking the show for the most part but they need to wrap up the girlfriend in peril subplot and start spending more time on investigating the main plot lines.

Edited by jmz, Oct 11, 2010 @ 9:43 PM.

Whatsyourface

Whatsyourface

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

First with the plane crash, now with the nose bleeds. When are they going to show the polar bear?

Gee, I don't remeber where the President is from. Is it Cuba? Oh, thanks show for telling me over and over again.

In the beginning Agent Collier forgot that she was the Fed and Sean wasn't.

When does Shia Labeouf come and save Leila?

All in all, I thought the episode was pretty good, I found it more suspensful than the others

Edited by Whatsyourface, Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:02 PM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

Keiko O'Brien! Sorry, I wasn't even a fan of that character, but I love seeing former Star Trek actors show up in other shows. I now can only hope that some other Trek guys will show up in the near future. Biggest wish? Sir Patrick Stewart showing up as some kind of big character. Not likely, but still...

I didn't realise that Lelia's mom was Julia Campbell. I swear, I'm overdosing on this actress; I just saw her on No Ordinary Family last week, and I saw her on DVD, on both The Shield and Dexter last week. She sure knows how to get work.

Sterling to the Vice President (can't remember the exact words): "Me being part of the assassination attempt is absurd. If he died, that would make YOU the president!" And that's Sterling with the win! Heh, that was hilarious. Zeljko Ivanek delivered that line perfectly.

Honestly, I'm going to have to take the shallow route for a moment: I don't care how silly the plot is, I can watch Lelia and Vikki all day. Sarah Roemer and Taylor Cole are quite the eye-candy for me. That said, I hope they are wrapping this plot up soon. I'm glad that it ended up being all a hoax (I was wondering why Vicky suddenly became so stupid), but it feels like it's just spinning it's wheels right now.

Starting to like President Underwood a lot now. He is the best thing about the show. As is Sterling. Oh, and evil Clifton Collins Jr. too. And Simon Lee, when they actually use him.

Still think Jason Ritter is good, but Sean really was lame tonight. His nonchalant reaction to the dieing phone was just out of character for him.

Overall, not sure why, but I actually enjoyed this episode and will stick around for good. It is silly as hell, but I'm intrigued enough, plus the cast is awesome.

Edited by thuganomics85, Oct 12, 2010 @ 3:52 AM.

kperry86

kperry86

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:43 PM

Why do the Visitors have Western-style first names but no surnames? Also, aren't they really lizards?

Oops, wrong show.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

Ah, the different generations. You see Alan Matthews, I see Roger LoCocco from Wiseguy. I kept waiting for him to call D.B. Sweeney 'Buckwheat.'

Ah, yes. Roger LoCocco was a true television badass. I remember that part (well, for me, all) of the fun of watching Boy Meets World was the tension of whether or not Alan would well and truly lose it one time and just bean the hell out of Ben Savage with a ball bearing.

And apparently the first season of Wiseguy is on imdb so you can get acquainted with this awesome show.

Meantime, The Event has me on the edge of my seat. I keep want to just get up and leave the room, but it continues to confuse me into paralysis. That and my unholy love of Heather McComb are pretty much the only things keeping me viewing.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:48 PM

I want to love this show but it's starting to go into the Flash Forward territory for me.

<rant>For me it's beyond FlashForward territory -- it's way out in the ocean -- it's in the Bermuda Triangle of Plot Land. The Ev∃nt makes FlashForward look like your basic three act play. </rant>

Wondering if they spilled Sean's backstory to suggest Mom was one of the 4400, er, ah, 97, or, whatever they are.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:57 PM

now why would they go through all the trouble of finding Sean when Vicky had him all to herself on their little snorkeling trip. They could have snatched him up right there. I'm just not getting the point of this. -- kara6891

Make that two of us. I am completely lost when it comes to those two, and they are boring as mud, and the actors aren't very good, and they make me want to stick a broken piece of beer bottle in my neck.

It was nice to see Sophia finally speak, but I don't know why the President would trust anything she says. If she doesn't agree with this Thomas guy and knows what his plan might be, why doesn't she just say what the plan is so they can possibly stop it.

I think she, too, is running a con. I'm not convinced she is actually against or fearful of Thomas. At the very least, she's playing up her anxiety for effect.

In the beginning Agent Collier forgot that she was the Fed and Sean wasn't.

Or the writers forgot.

This episode really tried my patience. I want this show to succeed because: a) sci-fi, b) high intrigue, c) the actors in the Sophia-President storyline, and d) it's not a procedural; but the Sean/Leila stuff is sapping my will to live.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 11:05 PM

I'm starting to get antsy. Can something really happen already? It feels like the writers are just figuring it out weekly instead of having an overall plan for an entire season. Wasn't the little girl Leila's daughter? I thought Scott and his wife were just taking care of her while Leila went off to have a life.

Alphapenguin

Alphapenguin

Channel Surfer

• Interests:cycling, hiking, kayaking, photography, literature, films, theatre, opera, coffee, my BMW Z4M Roadster

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 11:35 PM

This show is too clever by half. The only possible explanation is that it's a parody of scifi. In that event, it succeeds superlatively.

What's especially insulting is that the producers/writers/actors/whoever else is responsible for this dreck apparently believe the viewers are imbeciles.

And, John Malkovich plays John Malkovich better than Željko Ivanek plays John Malkovich.

This show will no longer occupy any space on my DVR.

Edited by Alphapenguin, Oct 12, 2010 @ 3:11 AM.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 12:22 AM

The passengers just needed constants!

I am...I honestly don't even know whether or not I liked this episode. It seemed like an unnecessarily Byzantine plan to get Sean. I would actually be fine with these machinations if I knew that Sean and/or Leila were actually worth this trouble-- but the constant wondering of why people are going to such lengths to get them's doing my head in. I think I just need to rewatch it tomorrow or something.

I did like that Martinez echoed pretty much the entire world's thoughts when he fired most of his Secret Service detail. Simon is the mole, and I believe he's working with Thomas, so presumably he got the phone in somehow?

My only real problem with the show is that its pacing is really weird, I think it'd be much less confusing to just sit down and marathon it. I also think that at this point it's just never going to win no matter what it does, so I'm just gonna sit back and see where it goes. The AV Club had a review of this that said something along the lines of "everyone has a different peeve about The Event, but the fact that nobody has the same peeve says a lot." Of course, my suggestion for instant ratings hit is "focus on Zeljko Ivanek," but that's just me. I did appreciate the fact that they had an episode about characters.

The little girl was Leila's sister.

Edited by dives, Oct 12, 2010 @ 12:28 AM.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 12:36 AM

I want Vicky to live. Have girlfriend killed. I like maybe fiancee and Sean separately. Together they are a virus. Please kill her already. Kill her Vicky. I rather see flashbacks of Sophia, Mr. President, the crashing of the 1% than how these two spent Thanksgiving together with her family.

Links

Links

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 12:58 AM

I taped this one.
Took out the tape, put it on my table and within minutes flies came out of nowhere
and started laying eggs on it.
They didn't survive.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 1:10 AM

Wondering if they spilled Sean's backstory to suggest Mom was one of the 4400, er, ah, 97, or, whatever they are.

I had a 4400 flashback when they were showing some of the passengers and their seat numbers and during the nose bleeds.

I wish there was more of Blake in this episode instead of girlfriend. Can D.B Sweeney kill her already? All the time wasted on her would have been used on Blake, Mr. Vice President, Thomas or the passengers. When she called Sean, I was hoping he would answer and save her already.

In what fantasy world is Sophia living in? She wants her people to be released and compares herself to Cuban immigrants? Her people grow old on a much slower pace, they might or might not have veins, they now have the technology to make people appear dead. What if those passengers had been buried?

Sterling to the Vice President (can't remember the exact words): "Me being part of the assassination attempt is absurd. If he died, that would make YOU the president!"

I know he isn't the one responsible for trying to kill Mr. President. I can feel it in my bones. The Vice President was acting guilty. Hinting on it being Blake to his lady friend. I enjoy the Blake and Mr. President scenes. It's great Mr. President is starting to see things from Blake's point of view. He no longer wants to release the 1%.

I hope we get to seen Asian doc again. She might have more information about what happened to the passengers.

Edited by BeenHere, Oct 12, 2010 @ 1:12 AM.

Coco27

Coco27

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 1:11 AM

The actors playing the passengers were alll awful. Laughable line deliveries there.

Oh my god, this. I thought i was imagining things, glad to hear i wasn't the only one thinking this was just an awful sequence. Bad acting, bad camera angles, bad writing, i didn't care for any of them or their pain. It was just weird.

I want to like the show, i can't stand DWTS and never watched Lie to me. Last week gave me hope, but this week ruined it. It was all a con? Really? And i still can't figure out why they need Sean in the first place. It's all a blur to me. And now the passengers are "redead"? Sigh.

If the writers/creators have a good story to tell, they must start to show it soon cause this is really getting boring to watch.

Edited by Coco27, Oct 12, 2010 @ 1:13 AM.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 1:17 AM

In a show where we have people who almost don't age, can someone please make the effort to make the aging population appearance seem different?

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 2:03 AM

TV Guide sez:

The White House's only hope for stopping a biological threat rests on breaking Sophia during interrogation; Vicky and Carter await instructions on what to do with their hostage; Collier stumbles across Vicky's secret during her search for Leila; a White House-connected businessman (Hal Holbrook) with knowledge of classified intelligence emerges from the shadows.

I'm kind of fascinated by how the TV Guide description doesn't really match up with what happened on the show. There are points of similarity, but they've clearly decided to slow down certain storylines.

redpencil

redpencil

Fanatic

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 2:40 AM

Were we supposed to recognize the voice on the phone at the end, whoever D.B. Sweeney was talking to? If so, was it Sterling? Or the VP?

I'm sort of wishy-washy on the Sean/Leila portion of the plot. On the one hand, I like Jason Ritter a lot (and I don't mind Leila) and I'd like for him to continue to be a big part of the show. On the other hand, I'd rather they wrap up the search for Leila aspect sooner rather than later, but they haven't really set up anything for him to do after that is over (and it seems like it might be coming to a head soon, assuming he doesn't take forever to recharge his phone). But I hope they have something interesting for him to do after that, somehow get involved in one of the other storylines.

candycanecrawl

candycanecrawl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 3:35 AM

now why would they go through all the trouble of finding Sean when Vicky had him all to herself on their little snorkeling trip. They could have snatched him up right there. I'm just not getting the point of this.

Isn't he a loose end now? Initially wasn't Vicky sort of a decoy so that the gf could be kidnapped and used as leverage? If the plane crash had gone according to plan either he'd be dead or the kidnappers would have released the gf. Instead plane didn't crash and Sean is running around telling everyone there's a plot.

I guess he's shown more fight than they expected. He was framed for murder, but that still failed to shut him up and now he has a Fed on his side. Maybe since they're first attempt didn't work they might want to use Sean to try again. I was surprised that Sofia told the Prez about Thomas, but I guess that's about moving things along.

One hundred some people having simultaneous nosebleeds is clearly a precursor to Thomas making their heads explode. Awesome. Blood spatter for everyone.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 3:56 AM

Were we supposed to recognize the voice on the phone at the end, whoever D.B. Sweeney was talking to? If so, was it Sterling? Or the VP?

The guest star credits said that Hal Halbrook was suppose to be in it, and I think the voice at the end was is. Unless I just missed his scene. I'm assuming his character will have some big part in this.

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2010 @ 6:52 AM

The guest star credits said that Hal Halbrook was suppose to be in it, and I think the voice at the end was is. Unless I just missed his scene. I'm assuming his character will have some big part in this.

No, I went back through the episode and didn't see Hal Holbrook anywhere. So it had to be the voice at the end. By the way, Monday's USA Today said that Holbrook's character was described as "a powerful businessman with ties to the White House." They went on to comment that "Maybe The Event will fool us, but generally in a television series, that's code for 'evil'." LOL!