1-3: "Protect Them From the Truth" 2010.10.04 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

100 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 1:04 PM

TV Guide sez:

A new detainee (Clea DuVall) is put into play when the Martinez administration rolls out a new strategy to make Sophia come clean about the detainees' plan. In other events, Vicky and Carter hold an important hostage and Collier's doubts grow deeper.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

OH MY GOD! Walter White’s Meth-making Winnebago crashed into The Event!

Zeljko Ivanek’s hair and skin were totally bleached in the Yuma sun. Ironically, he never looked more like The Magister than he does in the bright sunlight.

Enough about better shows than this! Jason Ritter and Detective Shoulderwound’s plot was duller than dirt. How convenient that Jason Ritter is a brilliant computer hacker. I keep hearing he’s a good actor, and a lot of people on these boards seem to like him, and I want to like him, but they’re painting him as the righteous romantic lead, and that bores me to tears, no matter who plays it.

The alien-turning-on-Sofia plot was interesting. At least, I want to know more about it, and I’m glad the President’s involved, because he’s suddenly more interesting. I was thrilled when I saw Clea DuVall’s name in the credits, because she is always awesome. And killing that guy was awesome, whatever the reason turns out to be. Hate her hair, though. She looks like Michelle Forbes and Shannen Doherty had a baby.

Well, they’ve done it again! Dead coming to life in the last minute! That’s enough to make me watch at least once more. They’ve got a real knack for this.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

Good thing they didn't start the autopsies.
So I hate the trope that whenever someone is going to give up info, he doesn't give up any until he is in position to be killed. Dude coulda gave up a bonafide, but no, nuthin.
Also I hate the trope that the overarching conspiracy takes the most complicated route, like instead of faking docs or orders, they shoot up an FBI station.

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

Did not expect the passengers to back to life! Awesome!!!
I really like this show, I never know who is working with who and who the bad guys are.

Maybe they are all bad guys. I still have no idea who I should be rooting for, but I will be watching this show until its gone.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:09 PM

This show has certainly developed a talent for leaving viewers hanging in the last few minutes, much like the first season of Lost and Heroes.

I'm still trying to determine how many sides are at play here. Obviously there are at least three (present day humans, time travelers\aliens aligned with Sophia and the other "evil" group be they humans or part of Sofia's species). I just wonder if there are more factions the show has not fully illuminated yet.

If the evil faction wanted Sean, why didn't they take him when they kidnapped his girlfriend? Maybe they will answer that question when they get around to answering why and how Sean knew to board the plane targeting the president.

Overall, the show is exhibiting some steady improvement and is becoming more engrossing by the week. I think I am ready to declare this show my favorite new series of the season.

cjuniverse

cjuniverse

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:10 PM

Jason Ritter and Detective Shoulderwound’s plot was duller than dirt.

Funny because I found it to be more interesting than the rest of the episode. That and his girlfriend plot. Why is she so important?

Overall, the show is exhibiting some steady improvement and is becoming more engrossing by the week. I think I am ready to declare this show my favorite new series of the season.

I agree. But for me, I wouldn't say it's a favorite yet. I'm starting to really like it though. I hope it keeps improving.

Edited by cjuniverse, Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:13 PM.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

I'm still trying to determine how many sides are at play here. Obviously there are at least three (present day humans, time travelers\aliens aligned with Sophia and the other "evil" group be they humans or part of Sofia's species). I just wonder if there are more factions the show has not fully illuminated yet.

I've also been wondering about this. There must be at least 2 sides on the "human" front. Those black helicopters that "killed" everyone in the last episode - who sent them? Politically, though, there must be a faction against the President, and they are very likely working with one of the factions of the aliens.

Edited by hollyhox, Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:17 PM.

Konfusion

Konfusion

Couch Potato

I can't say they're unpredictable...watching it with my dad was interspersed with his exclamations of "SHE'S GOING TO KILL HIM!" or "THEY'RE ALL GOING TO WAKE UP, WATCH!"...but they've certainly mastered the art of manipulating me into, "Well, I'll just watch one more episode".

I too find the romantic subplot dull as hell, and could really do without it, but I'll put up with it because they've got me curious about everything else. Just one more episode!

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

I swear, after that first needless flashback in the first few minutes I was ready to turn this show off. Thankfully I didn't. There was only one more flashback in the episode and that one fit well. Hopefully they're starting to eliminate this tool.

I liked this episode. My only gripe (or the one gripe I remember now) is that when the cop pulled over the raven-haired kidnapper, he was suspicious of her being in a remote place at an odd time, she tried to bribe him rather than open the back of her van, and yet he just tells her to get out of the car without drawing a gun on her and without backup or partner nearby, without knowing what or who else could be in the van. Reeeeeally smart cop.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

Why is she so important?

I assume she was just a string for daddy and now a string for Sean. I thought Vicki was going to kill her once she got the word Sean was dead.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

Well, they’ve done it again! Dead coming to life in the last minute! That’s enough to make me watch at least once more. They’ve got a real knack for this.

Word. Every week I say that this is my last time tuning in....until next week.

Was it just me, or did the girlfriend show no injury after DarkHaired Girl punched her? I expected blood, bruising, something. Was that the point of that scene? If not, why were they standing there looking at each other?

Minor nitpick: If someone is bleeding, you don't offer them aspirin, do you? And MacGyver didn't know this? Some superhero you are.

Blair Underwood in a white dress shirt, tie, and sunglasses...YUM.

Was the soldier watching over the "corpses" at the end Jason from True Blood? Mr. Majesty said he had the same dumba** look on his face.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:25 PM

Was the soldier watching over the "corpses" at the end Jason from True Blood?

No way would he ever do a show like this. It was just another dumbass-looking actor.

Minor nitpick: If someone is bleeding, you don't offer them aspirin, do you? And MacGyver didn't know this? Some superhero you are.

No, definitely not blood-thinners for bleeders. Maybe he's more of a MacGruber than a MacGyver.

Edited by hollyhox, Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:31 PM.

CubicleDrone

CubicleDrone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

Who was driving the winnebago? All that open road and they didn't see the car turning around? That part really bugged. Maybe, if the show somehow worked it in that the driver was texting, then I could believe it. Extremely predictable parts of this episode though. Knew the girlfriend was going to kill the informant. I thought she may have killed him because they were still dating after 60 years instead of being married. Dude, what were you waiting for? Seriously, it wasn't a surprise that she killed him, just how she did it. I thought she was going to twist his head and break his neck. Also, the people coming back wasn't that big of a surprise. I don't know, the people just didn't seem dead to me.

Edited by CubicleDrone, Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:33 PM.

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:34 PM

I thought I read somewhere that they weren't going to be holding things back like on Lost. By the third episode we were supposed to know what the "event" was. Or did I imagine that?

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:35 PM

Who was driving the winnebago? All that open road and they didn't see the car turning around?

5 episodes from now, they'll flash back to 3 weeks ago, and they'll reveal who crashed the Winnebago and why. And it'll probably be aliens, hopefully the ones from Spaceballs.

bellamn16

bellamn16

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

So I hate the trope that whenever someone is going to give up info, he doesn't give up any until he is in position to be killed.

Just like any other suspense-ridden show. This was the main plot device during all 8 seasons of 24, except instead of knives and guns, they sometimes supplemented cyanide tablets.

I enjoyed the first two weeks, but I was completely captivated by this week's episode! I was grateful to see fewer flashbacks, though their tactic for jumping ahead and then back at the beginning definitely got my attention in the first 5 seconds. I was pleasantly not surprised when they all woke up at the end. I just wanted it confirmed that Michael was really alive. So now the question is...why fake their death to get them sent to a military base? Did the sleeping agent erase their memories? That's the only purpose I can see served by the long nap.

I thought I read somewhere that they weren't going to be holding things back like on Lost. By the third episode we were supposed to know what the "event" was. Or did I imagine that?

I know that Scott Patterson said that in filming episodes 3 and 4, knowledge of the event started to be leaked; something like, you will keep wondering "is this the event?" but once it starts to come to light, there will be no doubt about it. Other than that, I haven't read or heard an actual episode number during which the event in all its specifics would be revealed.

couchspudstud

couchspudstud

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

Word. Every week I say that this is my last time tuning in....until next week.

Double Word, I do the same thing. Even with all the plot holes i'd still like to find out what the point is. Few things bug me tonight but that seems to be the case every week.
If they are so desperate for information, why take the time to fly the guy all the way from Alaska to DC and then instead of questioning him right away they put him up in a fancy hotel room and allow him to make demands. Then without questioning him they take the time to fly his loooooooooooooooong time GF from Alaska to DC and let her in the room with him unattended when what they really should have done is showed her to him by camera or let him see her through the window of an interrogation room. She better not find a way out of that room with so many people watching. I would imagine her next step would be to kill herself and leave them with nothing but that makes too much sense.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:50 PM

Then without questioning him they take the time to fly his loooooooooooooooong time GF from Alaska to DC and let her in the room with him unattended when what they really should have done is showed her to him by camera or let him see her through the window of an interrogation room.

What killed me about that was that she had a shiv. She killed him with a piece of broken glass with tape on one end. They couldn't search her before they flew her from Alaska to D.C.?

cjuniverse

cjuniverse

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:53 PM

I assume she was just a string for daddy and now a string for Sean. I thought Vicki was going to kill her once she got the word Sean was dead.

That's true.

Wasn't the "event" the plane disappearing? Perhaps there is more than one event?

Edited by cjuniverse, Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:54 PM.

NolieBlue

NolieBlue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:58 PM

I thought the Event was the discovery of the plane and passengers in 1944?

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

So I guess the black helicopters were sent by Thomas since the passengers weren't actually killed. I bet Sophia knew they weren't dead.

cjuniverse

cjuniverse

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

I thought the Event was the discovery of the plane and passengers in 1944?

I haven't been going all LOST on this one so excuse me for not paying attention to the details but when did this happen? Or are you joking?

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

I haven't been going all LOST on this one so excuse me for not paying attention to the details but when did this happen? Or are you joking?

It's happened twice, once in each of the last 2 episodes. They've flashed back to December 2, 1944, and shown what looks like a plane crash, but is presumably the wreck of their spacecraft, in Alaska. That's when we've seen Laura Innes telling her fellow aliens to run. I think it's the only times we've seen her not imprisoned.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 10:43 PM

... it'll probably be aliens, hopefully the ones from Spaceballs.

Henry wasn't hairy enough to be a Mog, sadly.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 10:47 PM

So The Event is The Rapture?

I am officially several times over Mary-Sean. Especially now that it seems like he can spread his Mary-Seanness to others around him, like the agent who had a big ole giant ass piece of Winnebago in her shoulder one minute but is fresh as the morning dew the next.

I can't for the life of me figure why I find this show so compelling when there are so many gargantuan plot holes and contrivances. I annoy myself.

And what kind of Super Secret Spy Slash Criminal Mastermind has that conversation in front of her hostage? OK, no, stopping now.

Edited by DEM, Oct 4, 2010 @ 10:54 PM.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 10:52 PM

To be fair, I didn't know that until just now. Sean seemed to be taking a "get as much medicine as you can and put it on the wound" aspect to dealing with her injury. Probably because he didn't know much first aid. Also, is it just me or has the girlfriend never asked even once about her little sister?

But yes, the storyline involving Sean and Agent Jubilee (Heather McComb played Jubilee in the TV-movie version of Generation X and I had a big crush on her. She will therefore be known to me as Agent Jubilee from this point hence) was the most interesting part for my, mostly because I'm a sucker for the (extra-)ordinary guys getting sucked into events beyond his control. In truth, I kind of want the girlfriend to croak and let Sean hook up with Agent Jubilee because they frankly have more chemistry together than he and Disturbia-girl ever did.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 10:58 PM

. . . those plot holes are big enough to, well, drive a Winnebago through!

Also, if Zeljko/Rahm/Simon Bar-Sinister wants Sean taken out of the local FBI on a hush-hush, need-to-know-basis, what kind of inept henchmen do that by blasting through said FBI office and slaughtering everyone?? Teargas them!

While Sean (I can't believe I even know what his name is!) was tapping the FBI 'puter, I thought, "Oh, he's supposed to be the female version of Chloe on 24" -- then I said to myself, oops, don't I mean MALE version, and then I thought, no, Chloe was definitely more masculine than our erstwhile here.

VMaxxwell

VMaxxwell

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2010 @ 12:03 AM

basiltherat, I think we are supposed to believe that it wasn't Zeljko's men who came to take Sean away, particularly because the lead guy who survived (Dexter's creepy neighbor) was talking to the female kidnapper at the end, NOT anyone in the government.

Like many have said there are at least three parties involved... the government, the aliens, and this other group of humans. Plus Sean and the Pilot.

funcrunch

funcrunch

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Photography, singing, piano, electric bass

Posted Oct 5, 2010 @ 12:11 AM

I officially hated every single scene Sean was in, from him miraculously avoiding injury in the three-car pileup, snagging keys through a broken window, and unlocking his handcuffs behind his back, to him quickly identifying a car in an echo-y garage and driving himself and new FBI agent-friend to freedom while ducking to evade gunshots from a (presumably) skilled shooter.

However, I enjoyed all of the other scenes in this episode, for the most part, and intend to keep watching.

Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2010 @ 12:15 AM

AngelKitty said:

So I guess the black helicopters were sent by Thomas since the passengers weren't actually killed. I bet Sophia knew they weren't dead.

Ah, but are they still "themselves" or have their dead bodies been reanimated/possessed by Thomas' people? To establish new identities? That doesn't make much sense, since the Government will definitely keep an eye on these people - maybe even set up another secret prison for them?