CNN

• Please log in to reply

519 replies to this topic

Phoenixstorm

Phoenixstorm

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2014 @ 11:48 PM

CNN should pick up Jay Leno to fill in the 9 pm spot.

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 5:46 PM

I've been watching plane coverage all day. Holy crap, Ashleigh Banfield is awful. I'd rather watch Don Lemon discuss black holes than listen to another hour of Ashleigh.

I don't mind Richard Quest. He seems passionate and baffled about the mystery and the way the whole event has unfolded. I think Mary Schiavo has changed hairstyles about 6 times in the month since the plane disappeared.

FinePoint

FinePoint

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 9:50 PM

LOL re Ms. Schiavo. That first week of the coverage, when they had her on all the time, I watched as her poor hair just got flatter and flatter, and figured she had no time to get her hair done in between all the coverage, haha. She is so well spoken, though.

Richard Quest is in his *element* being involved in all this. One thing I noticed with all the pilots they've had on though...they're not so dynamic and excitable for all the !!!BREAKING!!! coverage, but instead they each seem to be so even-keeled, almost monotone-voiced, calm, steady, etc, really exactly what I'd want in a pilot, someone who doesn't get rattled, uses very few words to describe something and instead uses as few words as possible, since in their job they don't have time to elaborate to ATC with long-winded explanations and instead need to communicate a lot of exact information as quickly and succinctly as possible. 

CNN is gradually having to reach further and further each day for something to justify all the !!!BREAKING!!! headlines. Now it's BREAKING if "this morning, another Chinese plane will take off shortly to head to the search area to aid in the search." I don't mean that this isn't important, but I'm looking at how CNN needs to reach to justify every little thing as big time headline-making drama. 

Edited by FinePoint, Apr 6, 2014 @ 9:51 PM.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2014 @ 10:16 PM

That bugs me as well - it is always Breaking News (or Developing News) on CNN, or at least it seems to me.

SpringerSpaniel

SpringerSpaniel

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 9:13 AM

LOL re Ms. Schiavo. That first week of the coverage, when they had her on all the time, I watched as her poor hair just got flatter and flatter, and figured she had no time to get her hair done in between all the coverage, haha.

Heck, early one Saturday morning a few weeks back, you could clearly tell she was in her gown/robe.  They only showed from the shoulders up, but it was like she just woke up, fixed her hair/make up and went on air. 

lazy girl

lazy girl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 7:41 AM

I do not like the plane simulator segments. Watching two guys sit in a box, with screens we cannot see, hearing beeping noises while they attempt to talk is boring and annoying. They can just talk about various scenarios in a studio shot, there is no need to look at that depressing simulator. It doesn't even show up properly on TV.

blanchowens

blanchowens

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Time to move Martin and Mitchell to a submersible simulator!

lazy girl

lazy girl

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 04:10 PM

CNN actually had somebody in a submersible. It is a decommissioned sub thingy (big clear plexiglass sphere) that was used to find some other wrecks years ago and now belongs to a college. It will not be used for the current plane hun, yet we had to tour it and hear all about what life in a submersible will be like for those looking for a downed plane.

CNN has long ago jumped the shark on mystery plane obsession. Oh, and that girlfriend was on TV again, yakking about where she thinks her boyfriend from the plane is.

OSM Mom

OSM Mom

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 06:29 PM

Oh, and that girlfriend was on TV again, yakking about where she thinks her boyfriend from the plane is.

I wish she could join him on the bottom of the ocean. Man she's annoying.

blanchowens

blanchowens

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Oh, my sister and I watch her ironically.  I bet his family wishes she would get lost, she hasn't met a camera she didn't like.  You should read her Facebook page.  My guess...a book in her future.  She'll cash in on this somehow.