The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell

• Please log in to reply

283 replies to this topic

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Maybe he's so into this story, perhaps, because he's dating one of his fellow MSNBC anchors who happens to be black.

http://www.nypost.co...L7L9lnshZ2UCuJM

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I so hope that's not the reason. I wish them well, but I hope it is his own conscience driving this for him.

BobH

BobH

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

O'Donnell's interest in cases like this isn't anything new. Almost 30 years ago he wrote a book (and later produced a movie) about a case his father worked on where two officers shot a man and claimed it was self defense. It sounds like he finds the behavior of some officials similar to what he saw his father fighting against three decades ago.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:13 AM

Now we have gossip about a show anchor to add to all the other distractions in this case. I feel an inference that his coverage is being guided by his dick (or, perhaps, his heart, awww) because he is dating a black woman is yet another distraction from the substance of the story. O'Donnell has been around for a long time and has been vocal on many controversial issues. Beyond that, the most likely motivation I suspect is that he is in to this case because it is a headline (and ratings) grabber.

Edited by pennben, Mar 31, 2012 @ 8:11 AM.

babypinkfish

babypinkfish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

I really don't get what's taking them so long. Exactly what is ambiguous about this situation?

What makes this so difficult is that the police and DA originally took a pass on it. When/if he gets arrested a defense attorney will have a field day with "So, the police at the scene who saw first hand what happened decided you didn't do anything wrong, but after the MEDIA WENT NUTS AND AL SHARPTON HELD RALLIES someone else decided to charge you with murder?" It's going to make it very, very hard to get a conviction. It's not right, but the original decisions of the responding officers really screwed this one up.

Which is why I cringe when I watch Larry go overboard with the prosecutorial schtick. He's playing into a defense attorney's hands. And please, let's stop prosecuting based on the grainy surveillance video - somewhere out there are photographs, taken in proper lighting with quality equipment, that show what is and is not going on with this dude's head. I don't think it helps at all when the talking heads look at this crappy video and just DECLARE that the guy has no injuries.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

What makes this so difficult is that the police and DA originally took a pass on it.

Yes, and the question is WHY did they take a pass on it? Was it because Zimmerman's father has connections? If this case ever goes to trial then of course the defense will try to have a field day with the fact that Zimmerman wasn't arrested. So let them have at it. I just hope that there is a trial.

Edited by Ohwell, Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:50 PM.

irisheyes

irisheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I've given up on a trial. He's never going to get convicted. I mean, didn't we just watch Casey Anthony walk? I just hope that Zimmerman has to spend the rest of his natural life sending 50% of his paycheck to Trayvon's parents as damages for killing their son. While it's not prison, it's better than nothing.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

I still haven't given up hope of trial but as more time passes, my hope is dimming.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I used to hate Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, but when Keith Olbermann left MSNBC, I became hooked.

Lawrence easily is my favorite MSNBC show (I also watch HArdball and Rachel Maddow.)

But I've noticed in the past 2 weeks, they've had the same analyst on the show in the first segment almost every day.

Her name is Krystal Ball.

Yes, she's easy on the eyes and she's not annoying. She's actually intelligent.

But the thing I love about MSNBC is that the analysts rotate around different shows.

You might see Eugene Robinson every once in a while. Same for Richard Wolff an Howard Fineman.

But you wouldn't see them every day, particularly on the same show.

Really, I wish Lawrence would shake things up a bit.

Lexx

Lexx

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

I can't take Krystal Ball seriously because of her name. She is very smart, and her analysis is just as good as any of the other MSNBC talking heads.....but that name.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:55 AM

What in the hell were Krystal's parents thinking, LOL. Wow Alec Baldwin is looking more like his old self with the big weight loss, I guess that is what being affianced to a woman yoga teacher young enough to be your daughter will do for you! Still loving Lawrence and his passion, and I am very glad that he is daily exposing the lying empty suit that is Romney.

Edited by spaghettijimmy, May 2, 2012 @ 1:58 AM.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Maybe Krystal's parents wanted her to be a stripper. I remember when she ran for Congress in a rather conservative part of Virginia, and I said NO WAY will she win with that name! She is intelligent but if she wants to be taken seriously, she should use her middle name (that is, unless it's Candy or something).

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Maybe Krystal's parents wanted her to be a stripper. I remember when she ran for Congress in a rather conservative part of Virginia, and I said NO WAY will she win with that name! She is intelligent but if she wants to be taken seriously, she should use her middle name (that is, unless it's Candy or something).

If she used her husband's name, she'd be "Krystal Dariyanani."

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:31 AM

Oh, please Megan McCain, stop. Ann Romney does not shop at Banana Republic. If she's ever, then I'm wearing the $1000 t-shirt.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

Yeah, Meghan was pretty defensive about something that had nothing to do with her. Although when Lawrence first started talking to her, he was waving in her direction and saying "ugly t-shirt." After a second, I realized he was referring to the thousand-dollar one Ann Romney was wearing, but at first, I thought he was insulting Meghan's wardrobe, and I think she might have been confused by that, too. But because of all her offense to the perceived rich-people-bashing, we barely got a word out of Jonathan Capehart, and I don't think she really contributed anything. But I rarely think she does, anyway.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

Well, since I first complained about Krystal Ball on May 1, she's been on every night, almost always in the first segment.

It's driving me absolutely batty.

Is he sleeping with her?

Are trying to add sex appeal?

As I said, I don't hate her, I just hate that she's on every night.

Edited by nowandlater, May 16, 2012 @ 12:58 AM.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

The weird thing is I think Krystal Ball is her real name. Her parents should have been smacked upside the head for doing that. On the other hand with a name like Krystal Ball she would had to have developed thick skin.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

No Krystal Ball today! Hallelujah!

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

I know he does his hour long bit earlier in the day as well . . . but can we just keep Martin Bashir in LO's chair, MSNBC? Please?!

The weird thing is I think Krystal Ball is her real name.

I think it is too. It's one of those names that's so ridiculous it has to be real.

Queena

Queena

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

I thought I was the only person that was getting tired of Krystal Ball appearing in the 1st segment. I love LO, and his show (and his girlfriend Tamron Hall's) are the only ones I record. I've gained a new appreciation for Martin Bashir. He has a very dry and sardonic sense of humor. "Mitt Romney has 99 problems, and Bain is just one"

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I love Martin Bashir--his droll comments often really do make me laugh out loud during his noontime (PST) show. I like LOD (he's my other favorite in the current line-up) but Bashir to me is funnier, more sardonic and less bitter while still never letting up on Romney or the daily Republican hypocrisy and misstatements.

It's been great to see him this week on in the evening. (And I'm a fan of Krystal Ball, as well. She's very direct, refreshingly unafraid of calling out Republican/Romney calumny and fact checks others politely, but firmly.

Bashir has a segment called "Clearing the Air". If O'D replayed that little Bashir essay every day, or brought Martin on as a weekly guest commentator (also to promote his mid-day show) it'd be a great way to have both.

Diane Chambers

Diane Chambers

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

Krystal Ball is indeed her real name. Per Wikipedia:

Ball's father, Edward Ball, was born in West Virginia and has a Ph.D. in physics. Her mother, Rose Marie Ball, is an educator in King George County, Virginia. The name Krystal came from her father, a physicist who did his dissertation on crystals.

I am really happy Martin Bashir has been guest-hosting for Lawrence. Normally I tune out when Rachel and Lawrence are away, but I will stick around if Bashir is a guest host. I love Bashir and wish MSNBC would make him more visible.

Edited by Diane Chambers, Jun 9, 2012 @ 12:48 PM.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

Jonathan Capehart was on tonight sans tie. Hubba hubba!

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

I got home late and tuned in to see Richard Schiff ("West Wing") in the chair holding a Bible. When I came back to the show, it was LOD. What was that?

Edited by jjj, Oct 8, 2012 @ 9:50 PM.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 2:36 AM

The WW guy was LOD's last guest of the night but they had him doing the teasers and promos throughout the show.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 6:27 AM

I would love to see an Obama commercial using the Mitt debating himself Gawker clips LO played.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

Thanks for explaining Richard Schiff. Didn't have time to sit through the entire show, so initially I thought he was a guest host.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

LOD has his shortcomings, but he can be a joy to watch when he gets passionate about something. Last night's Bible-thumpers Rewrite was an instant classic.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

Is the Bible thumpers re-write up anywhere? I came in to see him thank RS and was totally confused. With that and the Mitt v. Mitt it sounds like an excellent show.

I think better of LOD (and Sharpton) after the debate. I still can't believe...or understand...how someone who told at LEAST 5 big whopping LIES and was condescending and belittling (including telling Jim Lehrer Romney would be firing him if Romney got the job he wants)...how that was this big "Win!" that is changing all the polls (while people are voting).

The media failed big-time, but I did appreciate LOD (and yesterday Chris finally used the word "lie") for not being fooled and jumping on the bandwagon like everyone else.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

The link -
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rT3h1nV7bWo