The Real Housewives of Miami

• Please log in to reply

3462 replies to this topic

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Ah yes, I can't believe I forgot that. At one of the many luncheons last season Adriana spoke Italian to Steve Martorano about Italian balls being bigger than Cuban ones balls.

At certain points during last night's episode, this show seemed to be more telenovela than reality show.

I was iffy when I first saw it on Comcast On Demand but now I actually don't mind it. When I lived in South America, the center of the city was like a ghost town come novela time. I think the telenovela look may be intentional. Considering the cast and the potential to bring in a new audience that sop programs like this up with a biscuit it just may be a smart move if they happen to strike a nice balance.

I almost fell out of my bed laughing when Marysol came over, mentioned her daughters were putting up fliers for Elsa's missing dog, and then the missing dog ran into the room to greet Marysol.

I think the girls Marysol was referring to were her employees. The melancholy music with Elsa staring wistfully out the window completely fooled me. That was a good fake out move if that was intentional.

There is something very typical about the eccentric Latina matriarch, we all have one (I've got several!)

Ditto! I can see that in the Sierra household too. Lucero strikes me as the vocal type who's not big on bullshit while Dad just sits there, smiles and nods.

Edited by prmami, Sep 14, 2012 @ 4:39 PM.

Arenal

Arenal

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

Elsa's face looks like it was totally rebuilt. It's such a strange, large, squarish shape.

jackterrier

jackterrier

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Someone please explain to me what Lisa's housekeeper was talking about! She is losing weight to have plastic surgery, become a pastor and she can cast demons. Very strange lady indeed. Why do you need boobs and a tummy tuck to be a pastor?

Something about the way Lisa was acting in that "work out" scene totally bugged. Like, aren't we sooo wonderful for allowing you to clean up for us while we are so generous to re-invent you. Don't have a good first impression with her.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

Just checked the ratings for the premiere, 1.066 million viewers tuned in, which is actually a little less than the season one premiere. I know it takes time to build an audience, but Thursday has been dead on Bravo for a while now and don't see how Miami can reach its potential on that day. With New Jersey ending in a few weeks I wonder what are the chances that Andy decides to move Miami to that prime Sunday slot? That would mean Atlanta (which always comes after Jersey ends) would be delayed into the new year, but simply judging from the season trailer, Miami more than deserves that slot. I would hate for it to go to waste.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Those ratings are horrible for the well-developed franchise, even after several weeks of promos this time around.

I have three shows that I sometimes watch during the same timeslot: The Office, Braxton Family Values and Glee. Project Runway airs during that time, too. Maybe those audiences don't intersect but 9pm is tough and 10pm may be even tougher with Jersey Shore despite its dwindling viewership. It's too bad because OC (Season 5), BH (Season 1), NYC (Seasons 3 & 4) all had decent ratings on Thursday nights just a couple years ago.

Someone mentioned in the RHOA thread that Atlanta's still filming so they may not air until the new year. It will be interesting to see what is placed in the Sunday timeslot after NJ (thank God!) is over.

SugarMagnolia83

SugarMagnolia83

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

Joanna Krupa is ridiculously obnoxious and annoying. What a boastful asshole she is. That scene with the whole Ocean Drive cover fiasco was SO goddamn scripted, too.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

Elsa's face looks like it was totally rebuilt. It's such a strange, large, squarish shape.

I googled what she looked like before, the squarish and large part is natural.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

Just checked the ratings for the premiere, 1.066 million viewers tuned in, which is actually a little less than the season one premiere.

Ouch. Well, I hope Bravo airs the whole season regardless because one of my biggest pet peeves is when networks pull shows mid-season. I didn't hate the first season of Miami, but I didn't love it either. This seasons seems like it'll be worth watching.

My only gripe is that Alexia isn't too prominent that season because she was one of my favorites, but I understand that her focus was on her son during filming.

Edited by PharmGal10, Sep 14, 2012 @ 9:22 PM.

MKX

MKX

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Those really aren't bad ratings for Bravo at all.

No, it's not in the "hit" territory like New Jersey, and Bravo was probably hoping for something a little higher, but it's still okay by their standards, and certainly not anything that would warrant them to pull the season before it finishes. The 18-49 Demo is the only thing that matters, and the demo ratings for the premiere are the same (0.5) as long-running stuff on Bravo like Million Dollar Listing has averaged. RHoDC's ratings weren't bad by Bravo standards either, it was canceled mainly due to Andy disliking the cast and thinking the Salahis brought Bravo into disrepute. Here Andy actually likes the cast and seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for it, as long as ratings don't slip from here it'll have a good shot at renewal.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

I think previewing the entire episode on On Demand and changing the time didn't help, either.

If it was a standalone Bravo show the ratings wouldn't look so bad, but compared to the other cities those numbers suck, especially since they pulled out all the stops promoting Miami this time around. I wouldn't expect New Jersey numbers and I strongly doubt they would pull the show, but for a series that was already at the bottom of the HW totem pole this wasn't a good look. I'm hopeful that things will turnaround once people get over how "boring" Season 1 was and actually tune in for the fuckery.

Read all the ladies blogs and Karent may end up being the most disliked. Her blog remind me of Phaedra's when she first joined the Atlanta cast, full of sunflowers and gumdrops and does not directly address what happened on the show. I think Ana may be the sensible (read: potentially boring) one with a dry sense of humor. She looks the most natural of the ladies IMO.

ETA: Looks like the media will be running with this low ratings stories.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

I googled what she looked like before, the squarish and large part is natural.

Forgive me if this has been addressed already. I haven't watched much of RHM but I am so curious about Elsa's face.

Did/does she have an illness or is it he result of a surgery-gone-wrong - or maybe both? While the squarish shape may be natural, there are other things going on. It's puffy where it shouldn't be puffy, etc.

Also, I'm wondering why she doesn't get it fixed at this point? Her daughter must have access to the best surgeons in the world, and it seems something can be done. I'm wondering if health issues prevent her from going under the knife?

RHoDC's ratings weren't bad by Bravo standards either, it was canceled mainly due to Andy disliking the cast and thinking the Salahis brought Bravo into disrepute. Here Andy actually likes the cast and seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for it, as long as ratings don't slip from here it'll have a good shot at renewal.

Andy sure does seem to push Miami! I've never read this about Andy and the DC franchise. The cast was pretty bad. They were either grotesque (Kat and the Silahis) or boring (all the rest).

He does seem to cut people who start involving Bravo in the dramatics - Kelly Bensimone, Danielle, Jill. He doesn't tolerate any of that. I can see that he Silahis crossed the line. Kat a bit too.

Edited by Jextella, Sep 15, 2012 @ 5:03 PM.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Did/does she have an illness or is it he result of a surgery-gone-wrong - or maybe both? While the squarish shape may be natural, there are other things going on. It's puffy where it shouldn't be puffy, etc.

She mentioned in this episode that a surgeon destroyed her face. I am assuming it was plastic surgery gone wrong situation. I imagine that at this point, her face wouldn't get better with more plastic surgery.

Chavin

Chavin

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

She mentioned in this episode that a surgeon destroyed her face. I am assuming it was plastic surgery gone wrong situation. I imagine that at this point, her face wouldn't get better with more plastic surgery.

When the series first premiered, there were pictures of Elsa when she was younger; she was actually quite fetching.
I think the pics were actually on the Bravo site. I will poke around and see if I can find them.

jackterrier

jackterrier

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

Momma Elsa's face reminds me of Prisilla Presley's. I can't remember exactly what was injected to PP but it has that same look. It was supposed to be "fillers" but ended up being something nasty that you can't really get out of your face. Some surgerys were done to "improve" PP face but it was never the same.

Eta: low grade silicone injections that were supposed to be better than Botox was apparently what happened to PP and a few other celebs. Momma Elsa has the same look. The "dr" in question was not licensed.

Edited by jackterrier, Sep 16, 2012 @ 5:46 PM.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

I'm a Miami girl, and one thing for sure, the city still looks amazing on film! Beautiful.

First, just to clear up something several of the HoWives said, Star Island is not the most exclusive place to live in Miami. It is gated, but the guards have to let you in because it is a public road and thus open to everyone. The most exclusive place to live in Miami is Fischer Island, just off the tip of South Beach. You can only get there by ferry, and by personal invite. That's exclusive. To put it another way, Rosie lives on Star, Oprah lives on Fischer.

Secondly, why do these shows have to ruin my main hangout? First Basketball Wives, and now Real Housewives Miami, have shot at Smith & Wollensky. Also, Food and Wine Festival parties are popular, but it's not exactly a grand ball on the Social Register.

Can't believe yet another HW franchise (first one was Atlanta) is featuring Miami's own (alleged) serial rapist Thomas Kramer. He's disgusting, and friends with Kim Zolciak, so what does that tell you.

I couldn't tell any of the characters apart. Hopefully they'll distinguish themselves on future episodes. Mama Elsa is actually the most "real" representation of Miami characters. Like she said, this city is seriously odd.

You know every single one of them (older women) speak Spanish almost exclusively especially to each other.

Yes, this show has the most English spoken in Miami since the 70s!

Lea denied several times last night on WWHL that she'd had work done.

Bullshit, she looks like she has had a lift since last season. She's 57 years old.

Edited by missy jo, Sep 16, 2012 @ 8:33 PM.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

Elsa looks like a monkfish.

Persnickety13

Persnickety13

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 2:01 AM

If this season is going to be chock-full of Elsa, I am not afraid to admit I cannot look at that horrifically disfigured woman while I am eating. I just can't. I save these shows on my DVR as my "relaxing time" while I eat dinner and Elsa just kills that for me. I don't mind any other HWs mother getting airtime, but if I saw this bloated grotesque character on the street, I'd look the other way or cross to avoid her. I used to say I was Bravo's bitch but if that now includes liberal doses of plastic surgery gone horribly wrong, I'll take a pass on this season of the Miami bitches. *shudder*

(ETA: Yes, I realize I shall have a special place in hell for my superficial and shallow attitude about appearance but I sign up for these for HW fuckery, not to watch a freak show).

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 2:52 AM

I sign up for these for HW fuckery, not to watch a freak show).

I sign up to watch a freak show, and that has nothing to do with Mama Elsa, LOL.

barkley

barkley

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

I really hope that Andy's current fascination with Elsa is short-lived, because, like Persnickety, I can't watch too much of her.

Couldn't stand Joanna Krupa on DWTS and I don't think I'll be changing my mind watching this show.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I thought it was really odd that Krupa was trying to pretend what a huge high demand model she is, by venting her not-cover ire at the photographer. If it was a decent mag, the photographer would have been hired separately from the model and certainly would have no say as to it being a cover shoot. I mean there might be small local market magazines where the photographer would be hired to present a certain shoot and it would be up to him to hire the necessary models. But even that is rare in this day and age.

The wife of the plastic surgeon? Really wants to sell herself as this incredible beauty. Her profile reveals just how many layers she has had added post-marriage.

Elsa needs to go into plastic surgery rehab. I thought her face was bad enough before. But she just keeps going back to hacks and getting more work done. At some point her face is going to fall off. I also find her nasty little passive aggressive entitlement annoying. I think she uses her garbled accent and her "incomprehension" as a vehicle to be catered to and to be rude.

Bananabread

Bananabread

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

To me, Elsa is like the "Honey Boo Boo" family: a modern, televised sideshow freak. There is just nothing about her that is entertaining, so I have to believe she is on the show because she looks so bizarre. And, first of all, I can't bear looking at her and, second, it seems very wrong to put an old, seemingly out of it woman on TV to be gawked at.

Also, she doesn't seem like a nice person at all. Or particularly funny. Or lucid. Like, she really has no redeeming qualities to me.

Picky Eater

Picky Eater

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

I was actually annoyed that I sat through that 3-4 minute introduction to Karent the "dentist to the stars." The scene between her and the patient was so fake/forced that I almost felt bad for her. I was quite surprised to hear her say that her BF wouldn't go for Ana because she's an "older woman," when I would have guessed that Ana and Karent are around the same age. Oh, and the breakfast scene between her, the BF and her parents was painful too. So far, she might be my least favorite.

I never liked Joanna on DWTS, but I have to give her credit because it seemed like she was trying last night to be cordial and get to know everyone else, esp. Elsa.

Elsa, Elsa, Elsa. There are no words.

Marysol always looks sad. Too bad her marriage ended so quickly. She's earning her place in heaven dealing with that mother of hers....that's for sure.

Off to read the blogs...

stcroix1

stcroix1

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

LOVED this show!! Love the mansions, love the music, love the enhanced colors-- what a change from last year! It seems like it's going to be more fun to watch than some of the other HW shows. I hope they move this to NJ's Sunday time slot when the Theresa gang up is finally over and we can move on. This show made me feel like I was in Miami for real-- loved it.

yian

yian

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

For so long, I have been trying to remember the name of a reality TV show that was based in Miami. I knew it profiled plastic surgeons in Miami and it was a rip off of Dr. 90210, but I couldn't remember the name or the channel. Well, I finally got my answer, after seeing Lisa's husband Lenny, he was one of the surgeons featured on the show.

The show was called Miami Slice (2004) and he was a douchebag on that show, which contrasts his current role as the placid husband on RHoM. He was stringing along some girl on that show. She wanted marriage and he kept saying he didn't believe in marriage. I see that he has upgraded to a newer model.

One thing about these Real Housewives shows is that, it seems each locale has a look. All the women on RHoM have the thin, long flowy hair, tight clothes, extensive plastic surgery look, down pat.

I aint saying she is not a cougar, but that dentist and her "fiance" seems like a set up, to get her on the show and publicity for his career.

The lawyer is still in love with her husband, it seems it was he who wanted the separation. He has the benefits of a home cooked meal, friendship and companionship and still gets to chase around young girls, smh.

There is an underlying feeling that all these women know their relationships are predicated on looking young and holding on tightly to their men, because there is so much competition and they may lose them at any minute. The ratio of thirsty women to scumbag men is really high in Miami.

Keepy3

Keepy3

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

I would like to see how the Karent/Rodolfo story plays out. Rodolfo looked familiar to me , but not as a telenovela actor. He was one of the hosts TV hosts of two Spanish language entertainment news gossip shows called "La Tijera"and "Escandalo TV". I remember the hosts of both gossip shows as being very, very catty. Now I can understand why Karent's parents don't look too thrilled about Rodolfo and may resent having to play along for the show's sake.

cupFloweR

cupFloweR

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

I've never watched this show before, I'm more of a NJ fan so I do not know any of the story lines or characters etc. But was no one else incredibly disturbed by the dinner conversation at Ana's house? Her two daughters present, their father says something about his dirty penis? Did that really just happen? I missed part of the conversation and just heard that. Those were his kids weren't they? I am either really confused and getting it wrong, or I am incredibly grossed out.

Other than that, the first 20 min of the show (I am currently watching the rerun) is really boring. Maybe I just have to watch more.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I aint saying she is not a cougar, but that dentist and her "fiance" seems like a set up, to get her on the show and publicity for his career.

For what it's worth, Karent and Rodolfo are about the same age. She set herself up for the remarks about her looks when she made that dig at Ana who looks younger than her. Against my better judgement I was hoping for the best regarding Karent but I think the whole boyfriend thing was her hook to get on the show too. Looks like Mama Sierra is not big on the shenanigans, though.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Karent's in denial. Ana has the text messages to back up her claims that Rodolfo is contact her, but Karent would rather believe Rodolfo that he doesn't know Ana. I would be embarrassed to be that clueless at her age. I sincerely doubt Ana is the first woman Rodolfo has messaged.

Bananabread

Bananabread

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

You know the saying that Monte Carlo is "A sunny place for shady people"? That could be the theme for this show. Rodolfo is either playing Karent or they aren't really that serious. Also, Romaine seems sketch-ball as hell. I'll just jump right to the idea that he and Joanna's sister have conflict because they've hooked up or they do coke together. And Ana's ex seems like an obnoxious pig.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

"A sunny place for shady people"? That could be the theme for this show.

Wah, I'm homesick for Miami, but yes that is a perfect description.

One thing I noticed was that they show a lot of shots of the Beach, but most of these women seem to live in Coral Gables, well away from the Beach. The dentist's office (that does parrafin hand wraps on dudes, WTF?) is in the Gables. So is the Biltmore Hotel where they attended the "South Beach" wine and food festival event.

PS This show is the most English heard in Miami since forever! Everybody but Lea Black would be speaking Spanish if the cameras weren't on.

Edited by missy jo, Sep 20, 2012 @ 10:38 PM.