Jimmy Darmody: Go Jump in a Fucking Lake

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

92 replies to this topic

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Gillian had her wits about her; Jimmy did not seem to know what he was doing.

But Gillian seemed more drunk even than Jimmy that evening and Jimmy comments on it. "How much did you drink, Ma?" as he's supporting her walk back into the room. She can't even undress herself so he helps her and it feels like he's more sober than she is. He definitely wasn't on heroin at this point. The heroin scenes were in the present after he found out about Angela.

I think Jimmy left Tommy with Gillian because there was no one else after Angela died. He could have left him with Richard, I guess, but Jimmy knew Richard was a killer and couldn't properly take care of Tommy, no matter how much he cared about him.

If Jimmy really did think that Gillian would try to be sexually inappropriate with Tommy I think he'd entrust Tommy to Richard or even Nucky if it came to that rather than to allow something to happen to his child. I honestly don't think he thought Tommy would ever be at risk because he never felt like he was abused when he was being raised.

I think Gillian definitely had power over Jimmy, because A) Jimmy was intoxicated, and B) she was his mother. In an incestuous parent/child relationship, the parent almost always has the upper hand.

I think in Jimmy's mind he blamed himself more than he blamed her and this is part of the power she had over him when she was in Lady Macbeth mode. Jimmy has always been the one man who has tried to fight for and protect Gillian and one terrible night he's suddenly in the position that all men who are around his mother come to her for. I think in his mind he used her in that moment the way all those other men did who treated her like a sex object since she was a child. I don't think it was just the incest that damaged him. I think he also felt like he failed his mother in that moment and it wasn't until later in the second season that he finally began to realize what a cold and unfeeling woman she is.

She mentioned kissing his "winky" as a baby, which leads to me believe she probably crossed other boundaries over the years. Gillian was fucked up, and Jimmy never had a chance at a normal life.

I agree that she probably crossed other boundaries but I don't think she was consciously grooming him or trying to coerce him. I think during Jimmy's childhood she was probably pretty self absorbed and more interested in finding a man to take care of and/or marry her. I also see her as someone who didn't have an understanding of appropriate boundaries since she didn't grow up with them in the first place.

I do think though that Gillian went to Princeton to sabotage his college experience. Jimmy is trying to be good and study, he has a girlfriend he cares about, everything looks bright and optimistic, and then Gillian shows up with a bottle of booze and stories about her life to make him feel sad and guilty. Agreed that he never really had a chance.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

Also, in the 1920's, people didn't think of abuse the way we do now. I doubt Jimmy would have consciously thought, "My mother is a sexual predator, and can't be trusted with my son." IDK, it's kind of hard to explain.

Exactly, and he probably thought he could protect him, or would know what to protect him from because it had happened to him. He might've also been in a certain amount of denial.

Pre verbal abuse is still abuse, and it will come out in the form of body memories, nightmares, and sexual problems. A lot was left unsaid but to me it's clear Gillian sexually abused Jimmy including while he was at college. The victim never "wants it."

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

After seeing the incest flashback and seeing Jimmy kill his father, I'm really glad the writers didn't have him go blind before he died.