1-2: "To Keep Us Safe" 2010.09.27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

153 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 6:32 PM

TV Guide sez:

Following the plane incident, the president's men scramble to figure out what happened; Sterling has Sophia taken into custody; and the conspiracy's web snares an FBI agent Collier (Heather McComb) and a mercenary Carter (D.B. Sweeney) In other events, a shadowy man named Thomas (Clifton Collins Jr.) comes forth with information about the detainees.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:02 PM

Aha! It is aliens! And some of Sophiaís people escaped! And they have an evil agenda! We know this because President Underwood turned a chair backwards and straddled it to talk to her, which always means that the perp is guilty.

This show really wants to be Lost with the flashbacks. But Lost did one characterís flashback per week, and it tied into whatever challenge that character was going through in the present on the island. Thatís how we came to care about them. This show is flashing everyone back and forth and possibly to other dimensions at such a frantic pace that I canít get to know them. And since I donít care about them, I have no reason to watch anymore.

My favorite part was when Jason Ritter (canít be bothered to learn the charactersí names) went running around a hallway corner in the hospital and fell flat onto his face. It looked like that was really him rather than a stunt, didnít it? No cutaway. It might make me respect him, if he was on a show worth watching.

So the dude hunting the aliens is an alien. Thatís sorta interesting. This show really gives you a compelling reason to watch within the last few minutes, doesnít it? OK, Iíll watch one more time, but if it doesnít dramatically improve, Iím gone. And where the fuck was Tony Todd? I only watched because he was in the pilot as Colin Powell, which I thought would be good. I canít believe that FBI agent said, ďDoes this girl Leila even exist?Ē That was intensely lame. This writing is beyond bad.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

Ah, D.B. Sweeney continuing his run of assholes.
So, I'm less inclined towards aliens, and more inclined to future folk. The 1% off DNA just seems to suggest evolved humans.

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

Aliens! Called it!

I really liked this episode, it had plenty of information without blowing the entire load. I am sticking with this one, and I hope it gets a back nine pickup.

I knew that Simon Lee was one of them, but him pulling the tube out of his arm was gross.

I wonder how many there are unaccounted for.

keeperrox

keeperrox

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:04 PM

I'm bummed they went the alien route; I was more interested in an alternate universe scenario. This show is really hard to follow when you're doing other things, even if it's as simple as surfing the web. I'll have to see if it's on Hulu or NBC's website and watch uninterrupted. I still haven't decided if I'll continue watching, but there is nothing else on currently that I want to watch in the timeslot, so I'll stick with it for now.

Edited by keeperrox, Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:06 PM.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

This show is making my head hurt.

When Jason Ritter was running through the hospital, why did they flashback to when he met his girlfriend 5 years ago? That made no sense. That flashback should have happened earlier in the episode, or even last week. It took me out of the episode because it seemed so misplaced.

I am still watching only for Blair Underwood, Laura Innes, and Ian Anthony Dale.

I have to catch this ep and the pilot back to back online to get a better understanding. Then again, that is too much work for this show.

tvgoddess

tvgoddess

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:06 PM

Ah, D.B. Sweeney continuing his run of assholes.

I know, it seems just like yesterday when Stanley shot him in the face. Good times.

Jason Ritter is pretty much the only compelling thing about this show. He's keeping me hanging around, because I'm not sure if I can get into the rest. Too much a wannabe Lost with a little 24 and Roswell thrown in. Just doesn't seem that original. Still intrigued enough to stick around for a little while longer.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

The 1% off DNA just seems to suggest evolved humans.

Imagine that... One day, hundreds or thousands of years from now, if we eat our vegetables and pray and be good consumers... Some day far in the future, we could be one percent better. But yeah, in all seriousness, I think you're right.

ownedby4cats

ownedby4cats

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:10 PM

If they have been here 60+ years I wonder if there are any hybrids out there?? Surely 1% is close enough...

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

I think I'm done. I can't really handle another show where its 55 minutes of kinda boring and then 5 minutes of WTF with a cliffhanger ending each week. Lost has me tired.

If the show is still doing well and is fairly well received, then I'll just buy season 1 and watch it the week before season 2 hits. I know that's part of the problem with TV these days, and that less viewers means it could fail, but I just don't have the energy for this show.

I was shaking my head a number of times tonight. The constant flashbacks are already getting irritating/humorous. I didn't need a 5 minute scene of how the 2 lovebirds met. I wanted the FBI people to actually do something surprising and disobey the roadblock and see the plane, but that would be too quick for a second episode.

Maybe I'll DVR it next week and watch it some night I'm bored, but I'm definitely done watching it Live.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

AimingforYoko
So, I'm less inclined towards aliens, and more inclined to future folk. The 1% off DNA just seems to suggest evolved humans.

I thought the same thing after watching last week and there was nothing in this episode to dispel that theory. I'm just wondering how far in the future they are ahead of us.

So, if they can make a plane teleport a couple of thousand miles across the country, why in the heck did they willingly remain locked up for 66 years? They certainly had the ability to escape if they wanted. Could we be witnessing a temporal cold war ala Enterprise with multiple future factions waging war in our midst?

Edited by LonePirate, Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:12 PM.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

When Jason Ritter was running through the hospital, why did they flashback to when he met his girlfriend 5 years ago? That made no sense. That flashback should have happened earlier in the episode, or even last week. It took me out of the episode because it seemed so misplaced.

Well, I don't know about you, but when I'm running for my life, I always go into extremely detailed memories of better times.

Now that I think about it, I'm less sure. That scene of their "arrival" (I guess) when Laura Innes told the other guy to run; it really looked like a plane crash, or spaceship crash of some sort. I'm not sure how traveling back in time could cause so much fire.

bellamn16

bellamn16

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:19 PM

They certainly had the ability to escape if they wanted.

That assumes that these abilities are self-generated, which is likely not the case. A futuristic evolved super-human would still likely need technology at hand to perform the advanced "tricks" like sneaking through wormholes. Living in a 20-21st century world with 20-21st century technology in a 20-21st century prison is going to make things difficult. Without the technologies they're accustomed to, those inside won't have the tools to escape, and perhaps those on the outside, while they have enough resources to do some things, don't have enough resources to free their own people...or get back to their own time???

I am more curious about the Jonestown-type scenario that played out in the end. And am I right that SP's character is as dead as the rest of them? *sad*

Could we be witnessing a temporal cold war ala Enterprise with multiple future factions waging war in our midst?

That's deep. Probably possible.

I'm not sure how traveling back in time could cause so much fire.

But if time travel involves the same wormhole-type teleport as we saw in eppy 1, the crash would still be a legitimate crash, which would cause a legitimate fire.

Edited by bellamn16, Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:21 PM.

Sine

Sine

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:22 PM

If they have been here 60+ years I wonder if there are any hybrids out there?? Surely 1% is close enough...

Isn't the pilot one of them? Who went rogue and had a family? That would make Leila a hybrid.

Or else I'm just confused.

Kara6891

Kara6891

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:27 PM

Ok.....I really liked this episode. The only alien/sci-fi show that held my attention for longer than half a season was Fringe and even that got too wonky for me. I never watched Lost or 24 or anything else that this show has been compared so thankfully I came into this with no expectations.

I didnt care for the flashbacks in the first episode but I liked them in this one. It always helps me to root for a couple if I see how they first met. Sean is so corny but in a good way. Plus I think Jason Ritter is doing a helluva job. Im still trying to figure out how Sean got on the plane to begin with. Was it explained and I just missed it?

That Simon Lee guy is so hunky. I get distracted when he's in a scene....and I'm not even straight.

Not sure what crawled up that bald guy's butt and died but he needs to get a grip. I just rolled my eyes when he said "I know they have an agenda. I can feel it in my bonnnneeeezzzzzzz"

bellamn16

bellamn16

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

Isn't the pilot one of them? Who went rogue and had a family? That would make Leila a hybrid.

Where did that idea come from? If I missed something...crap. LOL

I didnt care for the flashbacks in the first episode but I liked them in this one.

I liked the pace of this episode much, much more than the pilot. I find it refreshingly easy to understand, considering the number of flashback and time parallels. The reason I didn't like Lost was that it required too much of my full attention. I find this show much more easy to follow.

Edited by bellamn16, Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:30 PM.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:30 PM

I thought the pilot was just some pilot who got coerced (through the kidnapping and killing of some of his family) into trying to kill the President.

Im still trying to figure out how Sean got on the plane to begin with. Was it explained and I just missed it?

Nobody knows. They haven't explained it yet.

I just rolled my eyes when he said "I know they have an agenda. I can feel it in my bonnnneeeezzzzzzz"

I missed that line, but it makes me think of Sideshow Mel. Or Glen Frey singing "Smuggler's Blues."

Edited by hollyhox, Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:35 PM.

HaveMetalIssues

HaveMetalIssues

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:33 PM

This is more plausible than the theory that the 1% difference suggests an alien species.

Think of it this way. A Charles Dickens novel and the Dick and Jane primers share 100% of their DNA (they are built out of the exact same 26 letters of the alphabet). Yet they are vastly different. It's not the components so much as how they are arranged that result in the differences.

Thus humans and chimps only differ by 2% but look how much difference that makes.

Humans and mice differ by only 2.5%.

Humans and fruit flies? 40% difference. Humans and bananas? 50% difference.

Every single human shares 99% of his/her DNA with every other single human being.

Just some food for thought.

I like this series so far.

gl_shark

gl_shark

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:36 PM

This is more plausible than the theory that the 1% difference suggests an alien species.

It made me think of ABC's 'Prey' [yeah I watched it], about evolved humans. I would geek out if this show has Adam Storke do a cameo ;)

Edited by gl_shark, Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:37 PM.

bookworm8571

bookworm8571

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:40 PM

Pretty badly written with enough plot holes to drive a tank through. Too bad it's the only new sci fiish show on this season and I'm desperate enough to watch it.

I think we have good aliens/humans from the future who have been genetically engineered by aliens and bad aliens/genetically engineered ageless humans. They have a time warp thingie that can also kill people. The bad aliens are impatient and want to speed up The Event so they can rule the world.

Looks like Leila and Sam are now orphans. Since Sam is adopted, her birth parents are probably aliens/genetically modified bad or good or both ageless humans. There's no other reason to have an adopted, orphaned kid on the show. Every sci fi show needs a spooky little girl with super powers.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

Think of it this way. A Charles Dickens novel and the Dick and Jane primers share 100% of their DNA (they are built out of the exact same 26 letters of the alphabet).

That...is quite an analogy. Do you write for this show?

Too bad it's the only new sci fiish show on this season and I'm desperate enough to watch it.

I know what you mean. I'm so sick of doctor shows, lawyer shows, and cop shows, that if you give me something a little different, I'll watch it.

Edited by hollyhox, Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:44 PM.

domenica marie

domenica marie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:42 PM

I like the fact that there is only a difference of 1% in their DNA compared to ours. They look like us, act like us, but just different enough to be dangerous, or more intelligently evolved. The fact that they age at a slower rate would make them - and their DNA - a coveted commodity. But what immediately came to my mind, was that they were a metaphor for all the "Us vs Them" mentality going on in the country right now. They are like us, only better? Or only scarier?

And I really like that theory that the pilot is actually one of them, making Leila a hybrid. And maybe the pilot, immortal??

supercrusader

supercrusader

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

I havent seen the episode yet, but it sounds like a cross between Prey and the 4400.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:48 PM

And I really like that theory that the pilot is actually one of them, making Leila a hybrid. And maybe the pilot, immortal??

Where is this theory coming from? Did I miss something? I've seen nothing to implicate the pilot as an alien, except for someone's post. Where in the show did this happen? And wasn't the pilot dead along with everyone else from the plane (except Jason Ritter) at the end of the episode?

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:50 PM

Looks like Leila and Sam are now orphans. Since Sam is adopted, her birth parents are probably aliens/genetically modified bad or good or both ageless humans. There's no other reason to have an adopted, orphaned kid on the show. Every sci fi show needs a spooky little girl with super powers.

Yep something is up with Sam and her sister. Why else would the "bad" guys kidnap them and threaten to kill the if their father didn't kill the President. They could've kidnapped any pilot's family and made the same threats but they chose this family. I think its for a reason.

I'm still not totally buying this show. As someone said up thread the flashbacks for every character in each episode makes it difficult to get to know them and get attached. But I'll give it one more week as well. I'm curious about the deaths at the end and what's up with the different "alien" groups. Plus Agent Lee, don't know his name in real life, is just so hot. I must see him again. LOL.

bookworm8571

bookworm8571

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

I don't think the pilot was the guy Sophia told to escape from the plane crash. That was Agent Lee, the cop who has been told to investigate them. They just both have dark hair. The pilot was human. I'd lay odds, though, that his adopted daughter Sam is one of the aliens.

bellamn16

bellamn16

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:57 PM

And wasn't the pilot dead along with everyone else from the plane (except Jason Ritter) at the end of the episode?

He looked pretty dead...they all did...but doesn't that seem too easy? I'm not convinced the worm hole was to save them (the people on the plane); its purpose could have been solely to save the president. But that leads to more questions...like some have speculated, are there two waring factions of these super-humans battling in the past? Or are the hijackers not super-human at all...but rather some other organization that's fighting based on their knowledge of "the event" or whatever the president originally had planned for the prisoners.

..and the only thing that pile in the desert reminded me of was pictures of Jonestown. Creepy. I really wanted the car to drive through the barracade...for just ONE person to believe what Sean is saying...but I know that would be way too easy.

I don't think the pilot was the guy Sophia told to escape from the plane crash. That was Agent Lee, the cop who has been told to investigate them. They just both have dark hair. The pilot was human. I'd lay odds, though, that his adopted daughter Sam is one of the aliens.

The man Sophia told to run was the Hispanic man who talked to Agent Lee near the end.

I didn't see Michael in any part of the 1940s crash scene. And if he is "one of them" or partially one of them, I'm not convinced he knows...(or knew???).

Edited by bellamn16, Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:55 PM.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:58 PM

I knew that Simon Lee was one of them, but him pulling the tube out of his arm was gross.

Agent Lee, played by Ian Anthony Duuuuuuuuuuuhuuuuuuuude. Yick.

Not sure what crawled up that bald guy's butt and died but he needs to get a grip. I just rolled my eyes when he said "I know they have an agenda. I can feel it in my bonnnneeeezzzzzzz"

D.B. Sweeney's not the only one with a whole mess of asshats on his resumť.

I think the guy Sophia told to round up the able-bodied from the crash site was neither Michael (the coerced pilot) nor Agent "Tiny Veins" Lee. I'm pretty sure that guy was a different actor altogether.

The man Sophia told to run was the Hispanic man who talked to Agent Lee near the end.

Thomas.

Could the plane actually have been intended to take out Sophia under the guise of a presidential assassination in order to conceal her murder?

I find myself wondering the same thing. (But I also think the ones behind the kidnapping/frame-up are human.)

Edited by Sandman, Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:09 PM.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

Maybe I missed something coming back from one of the commercials; but was the plane's primary target actually the President? Could the plane actually have been intended to take out Sophia under the guise of a presidential assassination in order to conceal her murder?

Edited by LonePirate, Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:02 PM.

HaveMetalIssues

HaveMetalIssues

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

That...is quite an analogy. Do you write for this show?

Why, are you looking for work?

The whole "There is only a 1% difference between their DNA and human DNA." is lazy writing IMO; not intended by the writers to be critically reflected upon by the audience, rather, to convey something significant without meaning anything in fact.

There is a 1% difference between the DNA of every human being currently alive and what does that mean exactly?