4-10: "Hands And Knees" 2010.09.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

704 replies to this topic

vvh3

vvh3

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:17 PM

Definitely Megan. It was foreshadowed when she was the only person in "Beautiful Girls" who looked Sally in the eye and treated her naturally and with sympathy.

Of course Don will now dump Faye. A control freak like Don cannot give someone else control. He will find some way to gloss over it with her, and get rid of her. (We didn't like her for him anyway, did we?)

Loved Betty's little yellow frock; yummy. Remember those scratchy nylon nightgowns? Trudy in a baby doll? Too cute.

BuggieGirl

BuggieGirl

Fanatic

Who looked like a Hostess snowball in that nightgown. Love Trudy!

I thought she looked like Peaches and Cream Barbie's maternity nightgown! She definitely had the "swallowed a beach ball" look to her.

EvilElvis

EvilElvis

Channel Surfer

Why? England certainly doesn't have the US's history with race. Not that there aren't British racists, but England was hardly the segregated nightmare that the US was in the 60s.

The old man came to take Lane home. The bit of Playboy Club fluff was not a consideration.

EleanorAquitain

EleanorAquitain

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

I found Lane's Negro girlfriend to be implausible. Really? To go from his drunken night out with Don to dating a black Playboy Bunny? That's a pretty giant step for such a straitlaced Brit.

I don't find it implausible. A huge part of the reason that Lane wanted to stay in America, even when he was with PPL, is because he felt he was less defined by the cultural and class expectations here.

This episode stressed me out terribly. I think it could have done with one fewer crisis - having Don, Joan, Roger, and Lane all in crisis was one too much, IMO.

I thought that perhaps Joan didn't have the abortion but it seems from their final conversation, she did.

smallpea8

smallpea8

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

I thought she looked like Peaches and Cream Barbie's maternity nightgown! She definitely had the "swallowed a beach ball" look to her.

It was brilliant to have that right after the very chilling scene with Lane and his Dad. Who knew that the sentence, "What was that?" could be so frightening. The actor who played his Dad nailed it.

Edited by smallpea8, Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:20 PM.

ScuterPuter

ScuterPuter

Video Archivist

Why is it that all of us got concerned at the mere words Department of Defense and Don didn't?! He's so smug that that couldn't even have been in the back of his mind when his secretary hands him a form to sign? A form with his social security number on it?

Geesh. Nerve wracking episode all the way around.

Did Joan go through with the abortion? I was heartbroken for her when that woman asked how old her daughter was. Her husband is gone, maybe not coming back, for sure not coming back in any good form at any rate. The only one in her life right now is a married goof-ball.

Pete, Pete, Pete. Wow. How did he sit there, blame it on himself, take Roger's wrath -- $4 million that he's been nursing for YEARS!

I agree Faye is on her way out. Don is creating some serious enemies.

Edited by ScuterPuter, Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:21 PM.

nerdygeek

nerdygeek

Channel Surfer

@Whiskeyman, its clear they've been dating for a while now. That is why he is familiar with the Playboy club and obviously knew her before we got the chance to meet her

This isn't Twitter. Your posts can be more than 140 character, and we don't use the @ symbol to make it clear who we're talking to. Just like in real life, the people here figure it out based on another poster using their name. -- TWoP Mars

Edited by TWoP Mars, Sep 27, 2010 @ 11:29 PM.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

How old is Lane's son? For some reason I thought he was a teenager. Not the Mickey Mouse type.

Best part of the show: Lane getting called dashing to his face.

Worst: Father's you-know-what to his face. That was brutal.

Edited by bodielovesbetty, Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:21 PM.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

With NAA gone maybe they'll switch over to the more local Grumman for SCDP's aerospace piece of the pie. Grumman had a lot of projects going on at this time: the Lunar Module for Apollo, A-6, Naval TFX eventually resulting in the F-14, Gulfstream Aircraft.

Bethpage, represent!

It turns out that Megan was right. Everything is going to be alright. Especially for her.

I already know when to mute the volume when Don rushes to the bathroom.

Shouldn't Trudy be birthing soon?

Tube Man

Tube Man

Channel Surfer

From Wikipedia:

The Beatles appeared for the final time on August 14, 1965. The show was broadcast September 12, 1965 and earned Sullivan a 60 percent share of the nighttime audience for one of the appearances. This time they followed three acts before coming out to perform "I Feel Fine", "I'm Down", and "Act Naturally" and then closed the show with "Ticket to Ride", "Yesterday", and "Help!". Although this was their final live appearance on the show, the group would for several years provide filmed promotional clips of songs to air exclusively on Sullivan's program such as the 1966 and 1967 clips of "Paperback Writer", "Rain", "Penny Lane", and "Strawberry Fields Forever".

There is a discrepancy between the date on Wikipedia (August 14) and the tickets on the show (August 15). According to the perpetual calendar Sunday was August 15th.

Anyhow this means the episode occurred between August 8th to the 13th.

Carlita09

Carlita09

Loyal Viewer

The old man came to take Lane home. The bit of Playboy Club fluff was not a consideration.

I know. I was responding to someone who found it unlikely that Lane would have a black girlfriend.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

Why? England certainly doesn't have the US's history with race. Not that there aren't British racists, but England was hardly the segregated nightmare that the US was in the 60s.

I actually partially read that as Lane's father just not taking him seriously so not taking her seriously. She was like Lane's intention to stay in NY. He saw her as Lane acting out and wasn't even going to dignify her by acting like she might become one of the family. So he could be polite to her because he didn't really see her as a threat.

Interesting that Lane wanted Don to come along when he went out with his dad.

I'm really hoping they can get Sal back now too, but I feel like the end of the season will be SCDP trying to find a way to replace that money to stay going.

To whoever said Don destroys everything he touches, not really. He created SDCP--they all want to save it! and despite the crude remark of his lawyer, if he was looking at Megan in any kind of longing I think it was a psychological "I wish I was the kind of guy who could just be mooning over her."

gogogidget

gogogidget

Channel Surfer

Add me to the list of people who were scared that Don wouldn't be able to pull through with those Beatles tickets. Sally certainly is a very lucky girl to be able to go to that concert.

Had to laugh at Trudy in her nighty. She looked ridiculous.

What an episode! So much to go through for everyone. I definitely think that Joan kept that baby and I'm happy for her.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

I shudder to think of what Lane's childhood must have been like. His horrible dad hid his real feelings for Lane's girlfriend pretty well in front of her, but wow, I was not expecting him to whack Lane in the head with his cane. And step on his fingers too. It may not be in Lane's nature to fight back but I really think he could take on the old man, if he got the cane away.

I actually liked Betty in the scene when Don called Sally to tell her about the Beatles concert. As bribes go, that's a pretty sweet one, and I did laugh at Sally's reaction. Nice to see Betty smiling and looking genuinely happy too, and with no tone in her replies to Don.

I was also surprised that she kept Don's secrets when she was interviewed by the Dept. of Defense agents - I wouldn't have been surprised if she had decided to use the opportunity to hurt Don in some way. Was also surprised at her discretion when she told Henry about the visit but not Don's secrets. So overall, this might be the most I've liked Betty in a long time.

When is Roger going to tell the partners that they have lost Lucky Strike too? Pete might have balked at walking away from the American Aviation account if they had known about Lucky Strike. Poor Lane is going to come back to a financial crisis. I did feel a little for Pete for taking the fall in the partners meeting, and having to take Roger's wrath. You could tell he was seething and dying to spill the beans, but he didn't.

I have a bad feeling that Don is going to regret telling Faye his secret, especially if that last shot of him staring at Megan means Faye will get dumped at some point.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Is Joan going to have second thoughts about keeping the baby?

I guess it's possible that Joan didn't go thru with the abortion. She certainly led Roger to believe that she had, but it's possible that she's just letting him off the hook. Maybe when the mother in the waiting room asked about her daughter, Joan thought that this might be the last chance she has to have a child. Greg may not come back.

I loved all the conversations she and Roger had in this ep.

vvh3

vvh3

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:22 PM

Secrets, secrets, secrets. Joan's THIRD illegal abortion; I wonder that Roger didn't twig to that; he was so upset about it and she had it under control. He's so in tune with her it would not have surprised me if he had guessed.

Edited by vvh3, Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:22 PM.

GraphicDesigner

GraphicDesigner

Channel Surfer

When Joan answered her daughter was 15, perhaps she would have had a 15 year old if she hadn't had that first abortion?

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Don is creating some serious enemies.

And Faye's father has connections, which could prove to be a problem for Don.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

God, that was a tense hour. Jon Hamm's face is so impressive. I've never seen anybody look so terrified! Love that!

Yes! It is amazing that an actor with those features can convey what he does. And outside of this show, his physicality is quite different from Don's, it's not just the hair and costuming.

So some bullets were dodged, but there is still some major stuff to hit the proverbial fan.

Is Lane having a mid-life crisis or is he a repressed soul struggling to liberate himself?

VK is having a bang up season--Emmy nomination, please.

Lamour

Lamour

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

Don, you pull off the handsomest panic attack I've ever seen, but I really can't defend you anymore. Such a shithead. Finally a woman who accepts your fucked up life and connects with you emotionally, and you're willing to throw it away for another fling. REALLY?

MrsShalimar

MrsShalimar

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

So did Betty never tell Henry about Dick Whitman?

I think Don would be long gone if she had told Henry. Henry is a politician with ambitions. He didn't even like it when Betty said she needed a drink in front of his colleague!

Jschoolgirl

Jschoolgirl

Fanatic

YAY! Sally got the Beatles tickets.

Well, I'll wait to be happy for her after I actually know that she went. Bear's not out of the woods yet on that one, IMO.

And I, too, think Joan is still pregnant. Or had a false alarm due to all of the stress.

ScuterPuter

ScuterPuter

Video Archivist

This was my thought too. I don't think his father was even looking at the color of her skin. He was pissed off that his son is traipsing around New York, meanwhile his family affairs back home are a mess. In the father's mind at least.

pigeoninthepark

pigeoninthepark

Channel Surfer

Who looked like a Hostess snowball in that nightgown. Love Trudy!

Seriously. Alison Brie gets some of the most awesome/ridiculous outfits on this show and she completely owns them. Although when she went to sit on the couch next to Pete we came dangerously close to seeing her Britney.

I had a bit of a sympathy panic attack watching Don. That was painfully, but spectacularly, acted. Bravo Jon Hamm.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Nope. Too bad, Pete, but I'd be reallyreally careful about that moral high horse you're riding. Pride goeth before a fall.

I'd say this was an even more visceral episode than the Don/Peggy one, if only because *I* thought I was going to have a stroke, forget Don & Roger.

I found Lane's attachment unsurprising. England is more about class than race.

Very sweet Mother-Daughter moment. I don't normally care for January but she rocked that scene. I love unexpected reactions, and her happy surprise (and probably, identifying with her daughter's excitement) was lovely. I was hoping for a hug, though. Too much?

I was wondering if Joan changed her mind. Shocking to see Susan May Pratt as anyone's mother! I still can't get over how closely she resembles Kristen Stewart.

I am not a Trudi (Trudy?) fan. Though her nightie was cute.

Sal needs to come back and threaten Mr Lucky Strike, big-time.
And Don darling -- no Megan please. So many steps forward & you take the easy way? I may vomit harder than you did tonight.

Edited by voiceover, Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:27 PM.

beeble

beeble

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:25 PM

For some reason I spent half the ep terrified of the fallout if Don didn't get the Beatles tickets.

Don is going to have to get Beatles tickets for everyone because he now owes some people big time.

(How much time would Don have to serve if he were caught for desertion?)

Well, at least Megan got the tickets because this show was one tragedy away from giving me a panic attack. And I don't have any Valium.

Oh Joan. #3. I can't help but wonder if that was the choice she really wanted to make.

smwurr

smwurr

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

Also, Layne's father hits him and that makes him turn his back on NY? Is he a CHILD?

There seemed to be a LOT going on there...Layne was clearly terrified when he was prone on the floor, the guy's foot on his hand. I think it's obvious he was beaten into submission his whole life. Poor Lane.

And FWIW, I don't even think his dad beat him because his girlfriend was black. It seemed like the final straw. I loved how incredibly polite the dad was throughout the episode, despite how angry he clearly was about being disobeyed. Very British.

My relief over Megan coming in with those Beatles tickets gushed out of me in a huge breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. Christ Almighty, I think I would have thrown up if that hadn't happened. Sally needs a break.

ETA:

Oh Joan. #3. I can't help but wonder if that was the choice she really wanted to make.

I'm not fully convinced she went through with it, but I guess Mad Men doesn't usually go the soap route. I am firmly pro-choice enough that I don't judge women who have had multiple abortions, but even I was pulling for her to decide to keep it. Roger's right, people wouldn't know it wasn't Greg's. And we know Joan wants a baby. Poor Joan!

Damn, shit really is fucked.

Edited by smwurr, Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:28 PM.

Pugposse

Pugposse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

I agree. To Lane's father, having Lane introduce the Bunny as his girlfriend was just the icing on the cake. He'd already gotten the Mickey Mouse/balloon greeting (inadvertantly on Lane's part) and the somewhat stilted trip to the Playboy Club. Price senior may have acted like he was dissuaded from his original mission but if he initially was, it was turned around before the GF intro. Still, it was very disturbing, as was most of what happened in this episode.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:27 PM

For all who were wondering when the show would mention the Beatles, Sally's scream and Don's reference to earplugs really encapsulated the era. ;-) After the Stones, I guess it was too much to expect an actual Beatles recording on the soundtrack, but that was a very effective instrumental use of "Do you want to know a secret" over the credits.

The Beatles Shea Stadium concert (much footage of which appears in the Beatles Anthology, and which Meryl Streep attended as a 16-year-old) occurred on Sunday, Aug. 15. The Beautiful Girls took took place less than a month earlier, given the discussion of the July 15 revolutionary activities in Greece. So while Joan said she was "very late," she couldn't have been more than two weeks late, and I was kind of surprised that pregnancy tests of 1965 would even detect pregnancy that early.

But that's a minor quibble for such a well-constructed and emotional episode. OMG, Don. Why do I feel such sympathy for such a cad? Matt Weiner and Jon Hamm are genius.

EleanorAquitain

EleanorAquitain

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:27 PM

I was also surprised that she kept Don's secrets when she was interviewed by the Dept. of Defense agents - I wouldn't have been surprised if she had decided to use the opportunity to hurt Don in some way. Was also surprised at her discretion when she told Henry about the visit but not Don's secrets. So overall, this might be the most I've liked Betty in a long time.

That didn't surprise me. She's still in the position that whatever happens to Don affects her and her children. In a way, being married to Henry gives her even more reason to keep Don's secret, since it may have some impact on her career. And, actually, since she's now known about his desertion for two years and hasn't told anyone, I am sure she would be concerned that she would be in trouble for concealing the information.

In short, it is still easier - and makes more sense - for Betty to keep Don's secret. Now, Pete is in a different position, since he is materially harmed by keeping Don's secret.