4-10: "Hands And Knees" 2010.09.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

704 replies to this topic

Wildhorsesnall

Wildhorsesnall

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

Jaw...meet floor.

Alternate title for this episode: Reckoning.

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

An unannounced visitor at the Francis home rattles Betty.

Alternate title for this episode: "Shit Is Fucked"

Edited by alynch, Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:05 PM.

nerdygeek

nerdygeek

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

Pretty much

Jschoolgirl

Jschoolgirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

My God ... Nigel. I flinched when he caned Lane.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

and the s*** hits the fan, spectacularly...who would have ever thought Pete would be the most manly of them all....oh, and do not f*** with Lane's dad!!!

EvilElvis

EvilElvis

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:08 PM

Proper English thrashing.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

I can't even imagine what's going to happen next.

As much as I care about Don and what happens to him, I'm more sympathetic to Pete at this point. Don owes him BIG.

Don's panic attack made ME have a panic attack. That was painful to watch.

And what about Lane? I can't believe his father hit him with a cane!

Who else had a bad day...? Hmmm. Well, there was Joan. And then there was Roger. Twice.

Geez. "You see. Everything worked out."

jthomas666

jthomas666

Video Archivist

For some reason I spent half the ep terrified of the fallout if Don didn't get the Beatles tickets.

Kay5510

Kay5510

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

I almost had a panic attack myself. Karma, she is a bitch.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

From my other thread:

Listen, Do you want to know a secret? Do you promise not to tell?

Maire

Maire

Fanatic

"Listen, do you want to know a secret, will you promise not to tell?"

Something tells me the good doctor will not be as honorable as Pete if she gets dumped.

dorakpasa

dorakpasa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

Pete and Betty with integrity. Who would have thought?

EvilElvis

EvilElvis

Channel Surfer

In fairness, Pete has created his share of situations others had to solve.

Peggy-free ep worked.

Much concern that Joan is not long for the world. :-(

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

For some reason I spent half the ep terrified of the fallout if Don didn't get the Beatles tickets.

HA! That was a concern of mine, too.

How many weeks passed? Joan said it was 7 weeks since Greg shipped out, so was it 7 weeks since last ep? Was Sally holding a grudge all this time?

Whiskey Man

Whiskey Man

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:11 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens once the news of Lucky Strike's departure becomes public.

Vincent Kartheiser really aced the scene of falling on his sword for Don at the partners' meeting.

I found Lane's Negro girlfriend to be implausible. Really? To go from his drunken night out with Don to dating a black Playboy Bunny? That's a pretty giant step for such a straitlaced Brit.

Missed Peggy tonight.

Twist6989

Twist6989

Couch Potato

From my other thread:

Listen, Do you want to know a secret? Do you promise not to tell?

I was playing that song in my head through the entire episode. How many people know Don's secret now? Geez!

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Good lord this episode.

Pete....

kraked

kraked

Loyal Viewer

Well, so Layne has a new girlfriend we've never seen or heard of and she's African-American and he introduces his conservative father to her while she's working as a Bunny? Wow, if that wasn't ill-conceived I can't imagine what would be.

Also, Layne's father hits him and that makes him turn his back on NY? Is he a CHILD?

ETA, also even if the characters use terms that are accurate to the period, doesn't mean it's okay to use them as viewers, NOW.

Edited by kraked, Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:13 PM.

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

Now this was a GREAT episode.!!!

Now that SCDP is done with Lucky Strike, can we get SAL back???

I'd be pissed too, if I were Pete, having to dump American Aviation because of Don's secret. He's right, Don does destroy everything he touches. And now without Lucky Strike, they NEED this account. Pete takes the fall.......now Don will owe him big.

A closed in, trapped, panicky Dick Whitman is always interesting....
but as soon as he knew he was safe, old Don Draper is back, eyeing Megan like the borderline sociopath he is. He'll dump Faye soon, as she knows too much.

THe Lane plotline was heartbeaking. .I dont even know what to say about it. :( Even in middle age, we can't escape the expectaions of our parents.

Sally was adorable screaming about going to the Beatles. Hope Don doesnt fuck that up

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

I thought that EVERYONE was going to die. Well, at least every man. (After his heart attack, my dad put a Nitroglycerine capsule under his tongue when he thought he was having another one. That's what Roger took.)

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Don is really shook up about the G-men. Betty was surprisingly nice to Don this episode, even getting excited for Sally to see the Beatles.

So did Betty never tell Henry about Dick Whitman?

Can't believe Don confessed to Faye. Not sure if she is totally trustworthy. Will Don dump her now that she knows too much?

Is Joan going to have second thoughts about keeping the baby?

OMG Lane's father beating him up and ordering him home. That shocked me more than the black girlfriend.

Great scenes with Don and Pete, you know Pete has been waiting to confront Don about leaving him in California. I don't blame Pete for wanting to lose all that money to protect Don.

Can't believe Pete is taking the fall for Don.

Roger is going to have a heart attack!

Lucky Strikes is gone, Roger is screwed! Roger saying to Lee "after all the lies I told for you" and Lee saying that Roger "inherited the account". I wish Lee would get outted!

YAY! Sally got the Beatles tickets.

EvilElvis

EvilElvis

Channel Surfer

"Pete and Betty with integrity. Who would have thought?"

Integrity ... when they have a dog in the hunt.

mharvey816

mharvey816

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

Oh god, me too!

He had better not dump Faye for Megan. Not now that Faye knows his secret.

BuggieGirl

BuggieGirl

Fanatic

Ha, same here! When he asked Whatshisface if he had them yet and Whathisface said no but they were on their way, I was SURE Don would have to cancel on Sally (after her awesome hilarious reaction).

Eager Eagle

Eager Eagle

Just Tuned In

With NAA gone maybe they'll switch over to the more local Grumman for SCDP's aerospace piece of the pie. Grumman had a lot of projects going on at this time: the Lunar Module for Apollo, A-6, Naval TFX eventually resulting in the F-14, Gulfstream Aircraft.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

The music was perfect. Sally's joy made me so happy.

I was so proud of Pete, and really surprised, frankly. Roger was an ass for not telling them about Lucky Strike and balling Pete out for "losing" his account. I hated him this week. My heart felt for Joan when she said her daughter was 15. She must have felt so ashamed to be in this situation again, at her age. She'd been so looking forward to starting a family with Dr. Rapist.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:14 PM

God, that was a tense hour. Jon Hamm's face is so impressive. I've never seen anybody look so terrified! Love that!

Pete was great, especially because there's nothing better than watching him tut tut over people and their lies while he's sitting there with his own secrets from his wife. Who looked like a Hostess snowball in that nightgown. Love Trudy!

I, too, was most terrified that in all the stress the Beatles tickets would be forgotten. Thank goodness they came through! I thought that last shot might have been showing her as the picture of innocence. Here was somebody so worried about messing up and thinking everything was all right now. Things don't get more good than the life Megan is living next to Don's.

Poor Lane trying to stand up to his father and getting caned for it. He and Don really do have a lot in common. What a jerk.

So how many huge secrets were people sitting on in that meeting while the one currently honest man took the fall? Pete was keeping Don's secret. Burt only had his secret operation. Meanwhile there's Joan who I think is still pregnant, Roger sitting on a powderkeg, Lane having just lost the battle for his life and Don still on the verge of a panic attack.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

I found Lane's Negro girlfriend to be implausible. Really? To go from his drunken night out with Don to dating a black Playboy Bunny? That's a pretty giant step for such a straitlaced Brit.

I don't think the British had/have the hang-ups about blacks that Americans did/do.

I wanted to slap Roger when he gave the thumbs-up during the partners meeting when Joan asked about the Lucky Strike account.

Love the bookends with Joan leaving Roger's office at the beginning, pretending they'd just had a business conversation, and then Faye at the end pretending she and Don had just had a business conversation. Are any of them fooling anyone?

Carlita09

Carlita09

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

That was my fear, too. I was preparing to kill myself in anticipation of Sally's sadness.

Why? England certainly doesn't have the US's history with race. Not that there aren't British racists, but England was hardly the segregated nightmare that the US was in the 60s.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:16 PM

I've never been so sad after an episode. Sad for Joan and Lane especially, but also for Roger, Don, and Pete. And for SCDP, too. Sniff.