SYTYCD in the Movies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

17 replies to this topic

ggersten

ggersten

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 4:27 PM

This could have gone in the media thread, but so many SYTYCD dancers are in movies these days, perhaps, it deserves its own thread.

In any event, we saw "Leading Ladies" last night. The film sort of stars Melanie LaPatin and Benji Schwimmer. Melanie....she can't act. She even has an acting coach in the credit. But, she's such an over the top nutcase, that it's not even close to relaistic. (Although there are some great bits of her performing with Tony Meredith in the opening credits). Benji does a pretty good job - but the director had him swishing too much across the frame. Still, his dance with another guy was OUTSTANDING. I asked the director if Nigel had seen the film, and she said he hadn't. Nigel should see it to see that two men dancing ballroom together can be really exciting and still manly.

There is a big production number in a grocery store that features Kherrington Payne, Katee Shean, Courtney Galiano, and Sara von Guillern. The scene comes out of nowhere. It's still a great number.

There really only is one other dance number that is subtly choreographed. All of a sudden you realize that the crowd is dancing in unison.

One of the lead girls, apparently, couldn't dance...at all. So, it's interesting to see how they filmed around that.

The film is playing the festival circuit. Warning: it has an adult theme, although there is no nudity and I don't recall any profanity. I found the film sort of average. A bit cliched for its subject matter - although refreshing in its matter of factness treatment of the subject.

pemyquid

pemyquid

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 7:35 PM

Sorry if this is old news to anyone else, but I was surprised as all get out to realize it was Mollee Gray of season 6 Nathan and Molleeeeee infamy in a cameo part in No Strings Attached. I thought she was pretty good delivering her one line.

AudyGal0516

AudyGal0516

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 2:46 PM

I spotted James from Season 2 and Courtney Galliano in the Glee 3D movie! James is a Warbler, who knew? I didn't know they were on tour with the Glee cast. Awesome. I may have squealed a little bit and nearly screamed their names and then had to explain to my movie-mates that they were SYTYCD alumni.

Edited by AudyGal0516, Aug 14, 2011 @ 2:49 PM.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2011 @ 4:00 PM

And not to forget the fairly egregious Love'N'Dancing wherein every dancer can't act worth beans and some of the actors aren't a whole lot better at it. It was your typical silly dance movie, plus Benji.

pemyquid

pemyquid

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 4:24 PM

I spotted James from Season 2 and Courtney Galliano in the Glee 3D movie!

I figured out Jaymz was one of the Warblers the second time thru...yes, I saw the movie twice (hangs head in shame). It was driving me crazy trying to place him.

But I missed Courtney completely. Was she one of the back up dancers?

blarney

blarney

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

Well, I saw her in the Single Ladies dance with Chris Colfer on You Tube, but that's not in the movie. I'm pretty sure I saw her dancing several other times during the movie.

pemyquid: You may have seen G3D twice, but I took a vacation day from work to see it, so I think I trump you in the shame department. ;)

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 8:52 PM

Yes. Courtney is a backup dancer on the show and in the movie. In the latter, I know she is in Heather's "I'm a slave for you" and "Single Ladies" routines for sure.

pemyquid

pemyquid

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2011 @ 9:30 PM

Thanks Turkish! I'm sorry I missed Courtney..I remember when she showed up in that weird Man's World routine last season of Glee....and blarney, it's good to know I have company ; )

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2011 @ 7:25 PM

I know this is for movies but I just wanted to mention that their are a slew of SYTYCD kids on this show called "Mobbed" from Howie Mandel. Tonight's episode, had Nappytabs as choreographers and I spotted Lauren Gottlieb, Martha Nichols, and Jeremy Hudson for sure. I think I also saw Katee Shean. The show uses flash mobs to surprise people so their were alot of dancers involved. I'm probably missing a bunch of people.

AudyGal0516

AudyGal0516

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I spotted Brandon and Ellenore on NBC's "Smash" last night. They were dancing with Katherine McPhee during workshops for the Marilyn show. I'm excited to see other SYTYCD alum on "Smash" and "Glee".

imthatguy

imthatguy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

I spotted Brandon and Ellenore on NBC's "Smash" last night. They were dancing with Katherine McPhee during workshops for the Marilyn show. I'm excited to see other SYTYCD alum on "Smash" and "Glee".

That was Ellenore, but not Brandon. Someone asked him on Twitter, plus he was not in the credits, as Ellenore and Alex Wong were. I know Ellenore will appear in more episodes, along with Jess LeProtto. I read that Thayne Jasperson was in the pilot, but I didn't see him. I noticed choreographer/dancer Spencer Liff as well.

I hope the series lasts. Episode 3 is supposed to be a stinker, but it picks up again in Ep. 4, according to the reviews I've read.

Edited by imthatguy, Feb 19, 2012 @ 3:17 PM.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

That was Ellenore, but not Brandon. Someone asked him on Twitter, plus he was not in the credits, as Ellenore and Alex Wong were. I know Ellenore will appear in more episodes, along with Jess LeProtto. I read that Thayne Jasperson was in the pilot, but I didn't see him. I noticed choreographer/dancer Spencer Liff as well.

I was wondering where I'd overlooked Brandon after seeing that earlier comment... good to know I'm not going blind. Lovely to see the delicious Spencer Liff, and of course Alex Freaking Wong on my TV again is always a good thing! Of course, I immediately thought of Jess when I started noticing the SYTYCD kids in the background; glad to know he'll be showing up. I wonder how "Smash" being on a different network affects the casting of SYTYCD dancers (i.e. do they have to audition like any other dancer, or do they have an in-road for these parts?) because I'm hoping to see a good steady stream of them on this show.

imthatguy

imthatguy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I wonder how "Smash" being on a different network affects the casting of SYTYCD dancers (i.e. do they have to audition like any other dancer, or do they have an in-road for these parts?) because I'm hoping to see a good steady stream of them on this show.

I'm pretty sure they have to audition like everyone else. In fact, with the casting of Smash happening in NYC, I would imagine that some of that bias against "these dancers" (as surfaced in that article Nigel referred to last season) would make it even less likely that they would have an advantage over the regular sea of dancers trying to make it in NY. Perhaps it's less of an issue in LA, particularly since so many of the choreographers connected to the show are based in LA. A lot of former sytycd-ers end up working for those same choreographers.

Like you, the chance of seeing "our" dancers has certainly amped up the appeal of this show for me.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Where is Alex Wong? Does he come in when Spencer does? When Ellenore came in, I was so surprised, and then I didn't pay attention to Kat at all because I was looking at Ellenore so hard. She was lovely. But I couldn't make out if that was her till the end of the show (with the longer hair). Could someone with better eyesight than mine comment?

(Also, If we are very lucky, might Jakob show up?)

whatsupdog

whatsupdog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:27 AM

Alex was in the baseball number in the pilot, with Thayne and Spencer.

"Leading Ladies" is on Netflix Instant now.

LostLostLost

LostLostLost

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

Lauren Gottlieb tweeted that she will be in India for two months, filming a Bollywood movie. No info on the name of the film, etc.

Several SYTYCD alums are in Puerto Rico, filming a movie which will be shown on the Disney Channel, current title Big Moves. As far as I know, they are: Ricky, Caitlynn, Mollie Grey, Kent Boyd, and Marko. I'm sure they are having a great time down there.

Where is Alex Wong? Does he come in when Spencer does?

Alex comes in at the beginning of the baseball rehearsal number, very close to the camera, before the directors and such come in. He can be seen throughout that number.

Edited by LostLostLost, Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:08 PM.

IdleBrook

IdleBrook

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

Trailer for Step UP 4
featuring Kathryn Mccormick, Twitch, Phillip Chbeeb and choreography from Travis Wall.

Edited by IdleBrook, Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:21 PM.

ggersten

ggersten

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Kathryn looks radiant, gorgeous and, of course, amazing in her moves.
But, as an actress???
Still, you don't go to a Step Up movie for acting or plot - and this film looks ready to deliver on the dancing front.

Edited by ggersten, Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:09 AM.