8-3 & 8-4: "14 Chefs Compete/13 Chefs Compete" 2010.09.29

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

44 replies to this topic

The Stick

The Stick

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 12:50 PM

"How does nobody see this?"

"Why is she still here?"

Nona's shock and disbelief were awesome.

inny

inny

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 12:23 AM

And who does propose at Hell's Kitchen? On the other hand, maybe it is one of those "if we can survive this together, we can survive anything" type of things.

My first impression of the proposal was the same as my impression of the first season I noticed the customers. To paraphrase myself, "I think someone has 'Customer, Hell's Kitchen' on the back of her headshot." Seriously, who does that? Of course, if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to famewhore myself for an 'event' on the tele, I'd at least opt for Top Chef. I'd still look like an idiot, but the food might be edible.

So glad Raj is gone - he wasn't even a good enough actor to be interesting. You could tell he was delivering lines and couldn't even pull that off. Just pathetic. One down, one to go. Y'all know who I mean. Vinny too (do people really use that much hair gel without doing a Sopranos impersonation?) There really is such a thing as bad publicity.

I guess the thing I really dislike about the beginning of the season is that we have to put up with the DRAMA before we get a handle on the contenders. I've watched every season of this show (gods help me), and I think they've finished scraping the bottom of the barrel. They blasted a hole in the bottom and dug to China.

Side note - has anyone watched the UK versions of this show? I'd kill to see that here in the States.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 12:25 AM

I think Raj is one of the lost Looney Tunes.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 6:58 AM

I only started watching this show in the middle of last season, so am not clear on how the nominating process works.

Well Moops, great name by the way, those of us who have watched every season of this show (for reasons I can't quite explain), can tell you that the nomination process is not actually important in the typical sense.

The nomination process on this show seems to have one primary and one secondary goal. The primary goal is to get footage of the people bitching at each other and getting mad. The secondary goal is to see whether or not anybody actually has a brain and listens to what Ramsay says. WHO they actually nominate hasn't actually made a great deal of difference when it comes down to elimination time.

Here's how the elimination process actually works. Ramsay chooses a losing team. He normally singles out a couple people who really pissed him off that night, then he sends the team back to pick somebody for elimination. The people then go back and argue. They typically pick the person they all hate, occasionally a person they are strategically trying to eliminate, and sometimes even a person they like but actually had a bad night. Then they come down and Ramsay singles out a single person to tell him who was nominated. Sometimes that person is clear and confident. Other times that person decides to get cute or change the facts of what was decided. Often, that person ends up looking like a moron in front of Ramsay, which is a side benefit of the process. Ramsay then calls the two people out, and depending on his mood, may or may not also call out one of the people he specifically singled out before he sent them away to nominate, since he OBVIOUSLY wanted to have that person up for elimination, and then he makes them defend themselves. Sometimes, a person says something so stupid, and so annoying that Ramsay changes his mind, but usually after it's all said and done, Ramsay eliminates whoever the hell he decided to eliminate about 3/4 through the dinner service.

So, that's your process. Also, Ramsay has never really shown any real favoritism towards men or women. His insults of the women are generally more jarring, (YOU COW!) but really no worse than he calls the men.

so are we all wondering when the next reward/punishment has them waterskiing over sharks? Because this show has just about jumped the shark.

I think that's an unfair statement. This show is exactly the same, and exactly as ridiculous as it was in season 1.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 10:33 AM

Jillian thinks Gandhi "lived in the jungle and didn't even have shoes"? I think she's getting Gandhi confused with Tarzan.

That was a howler for me. Keep in mind, though, that this girl appears to be tight with Sabrina, so I put nothing past her.

bairdwh

bairdwh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 1:23 PM

That was a howler for me. Keep in mind, though, that this girl appears to be tight with Sabrina, so I put nothing past her.

I was actually rooting for Jillian after the first episode, but now that she has gotten all "that's my girl" with Sabrina she can't be eliminated fast enough. Who is stupid enough to side with the person that everyone hates on a reality show?

Can you imagine Jillian as the Rosemount Winery spokesperson, she would be like "This shit is banging, taste that grape, much better than the Mad Dog 20/20 I normally drink!" - then she pukes.

JazzieCazzie

JazzieCazzie

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 1:25 PM

I swore going in that I would never hate a contestant as much as I hated Ben last cycle ...

Sabrina has proven me wrong.

With the exception that I am 110 percent convinced that both she AND Raj are/were plants, while Ben was a legit contestant, just a primo douchebag.

I was shocked by the elimination of Louis, who I thought would go far.

I predict a Vinny-Gail F2. Hubby predicts Nona-Russell (did we even hear him talk or see him identified before Ep 4?)

Moops

Moops

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 1:30 PM

Thank you, JTMacc99! I sometimes find the arbitrariness of the elimination maddening, but I did laugh when Raj got kicked off even though he wasn't one of the nominees.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

I was actually rooting for Jillian after the first episode, but now that she has gotten all "that's my girl" with Sabrina she can't be eliminated fast enough. Who is stupid enough to side with the person that everyone hates on a reality show?

Can you imagine Jillian as the Rosemount Winery spokesperson, she would be like "This shit is banging, taste that grape, much better than the Mad Dog 20/20 I normally drink!" - then she pukes.

ROFL!!!!! I can't stand hearing her speak; she sounds like a cartoon character who's high all the time. And total WORD about siding with the reality show villain, especially if she IS an actress. Gah. Every season I think to myself, "Oh gawd, it can't get worse than this."

And then it does.

toolazy

toolazy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 6:16 PM

And who does propose at Hell's Kitchen? On the other hand, maybe it is one of those "if we can survive this together, we can survive anything" type of things.

An actor would propose to his actress "girlfriend" on Hell's Kitchen. I refuse to believe that those are normal people.

I love Hell's Kitchen but feel cheap and used if Raj was a plant.

Do they really think they need to fool us like that? It was obvious to me on the last episode, his over acting was horrific.

I think that's an unfair statement. This show is exactly the same, and exactly as ridiculous as it was in season 1.

I dunno. It really seems much worse to me this season. Count me in with the people who think Sabrina is also a plant. During one of her confessionals I was struck by the extent to which she seemed like a novice actress overacting.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 11:10 PM

Yeah, the whole thing of looking over her glasses is so weird. I wear corrective lenses and I've never looked over them. Jillian's tattooed eyebrows preclude her from wining. No wine company would want that representing them. Does she shave her real eyebrows?

Is this the first time a person from the non-eliminated side got the boot?

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2010 @ 1:13 AM

only started watching this show in the middle of last season, so am not clear on how the nominating process works. It looks like it's supposed to be a team decision, but then why did Nona initially name Gail as the second nominee before switching to Sabrina?

I think the team is supposed to reach a consensus, but we are shown some of the discussion, and obviously not the conclusion of the decision-making. They want it to be another cliff-hanger.
"who is the first person up for elimination?"
"the first person is............ (pause, look around, camera goes to several of the people we were led to believe it would be)"
"And who's the second person?"
The second person up for elimination is.....(commercial break, or long pause for dramatic effect)"

THEN -
GR:" the person going home tonight IS .........(commercial break)
(back to show - repeat the whole elimination discussion before he announces his decision) And GR can send home whoever he pleases, he only goes with the ones nominated if he happens to agree. If not, he can do what he wants. So, strategically sending home a talented competitor doesn't work on this show.

And - I suspect that right from the start, GR has a fairly god idea of who is going to win. Some contestants are there so we can see them be incompetent, some are there for the crazy (Raj), some are there just so GR can call them fat, old, ugly, stupid donkeys. And a few are genuine contestants who have a shot at winning.

Moops

Moops

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 3, 2010 @ 1:13 PM

You're probably right, but I'm not sure who would fall into that last category. Maybe Russell and Nona? They seem like the most level-headed and I don't think either has had any major screw-ups. The only time I remember hearing from Russell is when he was trying to make peace after Trevor lashed out at his team. And even though they have messed up, I'll agree with JazzieCazzie and add Vinny and Gail to the list too.

Guy Caballaro

Guy Caballaro

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2010 @ 1:38 AM

Trev = Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA)

la llorona

la llorona

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 5, 2010 @ 7:01 PM

An actor would propose to his actress "girlfriend" on Hell's Kitchen. I refuse to believe that those are normal people.

Not to mention that her reaction was rather wooden-- like, "Yeah, sure, whatever." She barely cracked a smile. I guess she ran out of enthusiasm after three or so takes.

(Or... her blood sugar was low from waiting so long for dinner.)