Don & Peggy: Workmates or Soulmates?

• Please log in to reply

370 replies to this topic

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

Moss has a new interview in which she's all explicit that Don and Peggy's connection isn't romantic - it's familial. I wonder why Weiner won't say the same (that stuff about Peggy being the best wife makes no kind of sense after this season).

Weiner just loves teasing that pairing despite the story rarely doing more than random hints.

Edited by wingster55, Jun 25, 2013 @ 11:57 AM.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

I also think Weiner just likes to tease people and likes to keep the option open for people to keep wondering. Why shut it down? What good would that bring him?

I don't think even the "best wife" thing means there is anything romantic between the two or that he sees it that way. (I also think he is wrong since that marraige would be a disaster.)

But IMO, her going into Don's office about what Peggy DID go into Don's office about was stupid, and Moss is smart, so she's grabbing onto the other thing.

Maybe. But Peggy also knows that if she bitches about an "idea" Don will mock her and tell her nothing is her idea alone.

Edited by Cherith, Jun 28, 2013 @ 9:56 AM.

Massena1

Massena1

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

I feel like I should know this, but what interview are you guys talking about in which Weiner called Peggy the "best wife" for Don?  Anyone have a link please?

MissStanwyck

MissStanwyck

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

There has been no emotional intimacy between Don and Peggy since he married Megan.

I hate to say it, but I think Weiner will write Megan and Don end game and further, shove it down our throats as the greatest American love story ever given the huge obstacles they overcame in order for their love to endure.

Barf.

Yes, except for that one beautiful scene when she gives notice. The lack of Peggy/Don interaction has hurt the show a lot IMO, and made seasons 5 and 6 sub par. EM and JH work so well together and have such good chemistry as actors that I fail to understand why MW would sideline their relationship so much.

For me, one of the key elements of MM is the complicated and fascinating relationship that these two characters have, and how it has evolved.

sunshine

sunshine

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

The lack of Peggy/Don interaction has hurt the show a lot IMO, and made seasons 5 and 6 sub par. EM and JH work so well together and have such good chemistry as actors that I fail to understand why MW would sideline their relationship so much.

It's depressing.  I mean, what was the point of the merger, if not for them to share a decent amount of scenes together? Everything between them post merger was about Ted.  Every convo they had was about Ted.  I just don't understand.  There's only 13 episodes a season, and this was season 6 that just ended.  What's frustrating is MW acts like Don and Peggy's relationship matters, but they share nothing meaningful anymore.  fanwank--would be MW is saving meaningful interaction for final season, BUT  he always says he doesn't save anything.  Is this the exception to that rule? 

Edited by sunshine, Jun 28, 2013 @ 10:17 PM.

Zolagirl50

Zolagirl50

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 9:28 AM

What's so interesting to me about the whole Don/Ted/Peggy dynamic is that we were so happy for Peggy to have a boss, a man, in her life that appreciated her, was open to her ideas, gave her credit, and genuinely enjoyed her and her work.  Ted was positioned, in simplified terms, all season as good - and Don bad.  But in the end, being under the tutelage of a "good" man didn't help Peggy anymore than being under the "bad" man.  In fact, while you can't fairly compare 7 years to 1.5(?) with Ted, she thrived better under the direction of a harsh, demanding, and many times demeaning boss. 

And it also makes me realize what a gift it was for Don to never make any pass at Peggy because my god, that entire Ted/Peggy working relationship really amounts to nothing when you introduce sex into the equation.  All of that work and collaboration went out the window, and will probably just leave an emotional scar upon Peggy, rather than the concrete tools Don gave her to create her future -  such as power, money, a good job, and strength in the face of difficult people and situations.

Hecate7

Hecate7

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

And it also makes me realize what a gift it was for Don to never make any pass at Peggy because my god, that entire Ted/Peggy working relationship really amounts to nothing when you introduce sex into the equation.  All of that work and collaboration went out the window, and will probably just leave an emotional scar upon Peggy, rather than the concrete tools Don gave her to create her future -  such as power, money, a good job, and strength in the face of difficult people and situations.

I agree so much with this! It's ironic, but really true.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

That's a great point, Zolagirl. What we've seen of Don with his prior love interests - wives, girlfriends, mistresses - is he sucks at combining work and his relationship. No sooner did he date Faye than he wanted her to compromise her ethics and get him a meeting with Heinz (apparently the actress questioned that as well! And also succeeded in getting an "I love you" taken out of the dialogue that she thought was premature). Megan wasn't really a copywriter, she was an in-house pacifier. She never got any time to focus on her supposed work. If he ever got with Peggy, based on his past patterns, he would stop taking her work seriously and he'd become extremely high maintenance in terms of what he wanted her to do for him, and he would exercise about the same discretion shown by Peggy and Ted. Don is or was a co-worker, but when he's in a relationship with someone at the office he stops functioning like a coworker. He used Faye and nobody at the firm had a prayer of taking Megan seriously because Don wasn't even taking his own work seriously back then, so didn't think she should be required to either. As you say, Peggy and Ted were a mess (if that's what you're saying) once sex came into the relationship - Ted was to Peggy's St. Joseph's commercial as Don was to Megan's Heinz idea - it was really just fuel for the love high.

SweetsMcGee

SweetsMcGee

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 10:26 AM

I re-watched "The Suitcase" this morning in my full show re-watch leading up to season 7, and this is probably the fourth or fifth time I've watched it. But this time, I felt a sense of irritation watching it, and it's my favorite episode. It just is so disappointing how they gave us this masterpiece, and then let the relationship deteriorate to almost nothingness by the end of season 6. Still hopeful things will get rebuilt in season 7 but man, this show has almost ruined my favorite episode for me.

rogaine2233

rogaine2233

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 6:17 PM

Their relationship went into the toilet the minute he proposed to Megan.

Zolagirl50

Zolagirl50

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 7:45 PM

I read something a bit older the other day where Matt said his love of French actresses was so intense that casting Pare and having her on was almost fetishistic to him.  And my god, if that doesn't show from S5 onward, I don't know what does. 

However, I will give Weiner credit if he consciously decided that Don's M.O. of turning on people who become close to him is what the essence of the demise of the Don/Peggy relationship is, especially at it's apex, The Suitcase.  Once Peggy saw him in such an intimate manner, he began to sour and turn cold and harsh towards her.  And maybe when he works through some demons in S7 he will reverse that.

However, if that was NOT the master plan, and Weiner really did just go into a fetishistic heat with Pare and discarded the Don/Peggy dynamic, then...not cool.