Princesses: Canadian Royalty Only Need Apply

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

367 replies to this topic

saturnrose

saturnrose

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2011 @ 5:11 PM

Wow, just wow. I saw Nicola's episode... How do you get to be 35 and not realize that for 98% of us, working is not something can skip if you feel like it. Has she been living at home until now or, as I strongly suspect, has she been living off a string of older, wealthier men. I wonder if she'll find another sugar daddy or end up on the street.

I mean $4,000 plus a month on entertainment and food? Seriously?

RacheltheGreat

RacheltheGreat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 12:04 PM

Caught the Nicola episode and now I'm wondering how this girl has any friends at all. When Gail asked her what she was going to do for food with no money and no job she just shrugged it off and said she would go to someone else's house to eat. Could you imagine having someone who doesn't think she needs a job showing up at your house to eat the food you bought with the money you earned by working and staying friends with her for any amount of time?

I love when Gail dislikes the people on her show, she even makes fun of them in the voiceovers. The comment about Nicola returning to finish the show because she loves the attention that much had me dying.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

I wonder how most of the Princesses have friends. I suppose they're fun pleasant people to be around (esp. if you buy them stuff), but really.

Just saw an ep that was new to me. Can never remember their names, but she was typical - 20-ish, pretty, borrowed money from all and sundry, had nothing to her name. She was a dental assistant and had her mother come over to take out the garbage and clean the litterbox because she thought those jobs were too gross. Her mother (clearly) was a major enabler.

Gail made her work for a garbage company (heh), but she showed up in $300 high-heeled boots and a $400 coat. Gail also asked her to outline her goals, hoping to get her to see that life is about achievement. One of her goals was to buy a car and she went to a dealership and priced one out, which was naturally loaded. Then she one-offs, "I don't even have my licence." Oy.

Edited by GracieM, Feb 28, 2011 @ 11:09 PM.

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2011 @ 2:02 PM

I saw that one too GracieM, and it's even funnier considering it takes a minimum of 8 months to GET a driver's license in Ontario. That should have been her goal - she could have priced out lessons and the cost of the tests and set aside money in the budget for it instead of looking at the shiny new car that her crap credit wouldn't let her qualify for anyway.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 6:46 PM

This show is going to be on CNBC in two weeks. I'm definitely recording it - I'll enjoy seeing Gail give the smackdown to a bunch of spoiled brats. Bank of Mom and Dad was basically this, except it involved the parents taking charge of their daughters' finances.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 1:16 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, Empress1! I'm looking forward to more Gail.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 2:21 PM

No problem! From the clips I've seen online (you can see some intro clips on this YouTube channel), it's the same cluelessness as we see on Til Debt Do Us Part, with a hefty dose of spoiled entitlement (one of these heffas stomped her foot when her friend wouldn't put a dress on her credit card; I'd have told her to fuck off and left her ass in the store) and probably enabling from somewhere (parents, boyfriend, etc.). I'd heard about the show but couldn't see it in the US until now, so I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Empress1, Jun 26, 2011 @ 2:22 PM.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 3:54 PM

Yeah, the people on Till Debt Do Us Part are bad enough, but at least it's a joint effort there, and the perpetrators generally suffer the consequences of their foolishness.

On Princesses, they seem to take advantage of friends, relatives and random men to get what they want. Sure, no one is forcing a friend to pay a Princess's bar tab or rent or whatever, but still. These women seem to think the whole world revolves around their desires.

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2011 @ 8:43 AM

I think my favourite Gail smackdowns on Princesses were telling a woman who had lived off a succession of boyfriends all her life that she wasn't a spring chicken anymore and what did she plan to do when her looks faded?

The other was a girl who constantly sponged money off her grandmother who lived on a very limited retirement income. Gail asked the girl if she knew what a parasite was, then asked if the grandmother's income was higher then hers. The girl responded that of course it was, and Gail told her the actual monthly amount the grandmother recieved, which was less then what the girl made and said, "Now how much of a little shit do you feel like?" or something like that. Can't remember if she actually swore or not, but it was pretty close.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2011 @ 4:12 PM

I wanna be a princess! Stupid responsibility.

Slice is having a marathon right now. I like Gail's "you have to make $XXX to do what you want" chart.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2011 @ 9:52 AM

Just watched my recording of Princess Ashley. She wasn't that bad. She was more clueless than mean and flagrantly using. I think what got her is when her future sister-in-law very tactfully said that she feared that Ashley would be a selfish golddigger. Ashley clearly got it. I'm a big sister, and if my brother were marrying Ashley (which is the name of an ex of his that we all hated, I'm having flashbacks), I would express similar concerns. Kyle did need a spine: putting her ring on his card and co-signing her (very small, thankfully) student loans? Come on, dude.

Also, her parents supporting her didn't bug me since she'd presumably been a student - she only earned about $900 a month and said she just graduated. She was kind of helpless but not terrible. Her $35 a week food budget was no big deal to me; I've fed myself on less. It means you eat pretty healthily, actually, because you can't afford junk. She needs to learn to cook from scratch and she'll be fine.

Love Gail's "here's what you make, here's how you spend, here's what you need to make to spend like you are AND pay down your debt" chart. She made $30K, she spent like she made $72K, and she needed to make $90K to pay her debt and support her spending habits. Ain't happening, for a newly minted social worker.

One thing I didn't get is why they were so focused on owning a home right away, why they had this "one year after the wedding" deadline. Ashley's debt wasn't that bad and they're young. They could take a year or two and pay off the debt entirely and rebuild their (her) credit (with the $4500 they got from Gail, plus the cash wedding gifts they'll probably get, I think they could have it paid off in a year with two incomes and some discipline), and then take another year or two to save. Particularly since they'll lose income if Kyle goes into the police academy - why not wait to buy a house until he's done with that? And I wondered if Gail had explained the myriad expenses that come with home ownership - insurance, closing costs, repairs, etc. They seemed a little "now now now," which is typical of their (my) generation, and like they didn't fully grasp what home ownership entails. Someone's sister called them naive and she was right.

baking23

baking23

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 2:37 PM

I really like Gail, and I love TDDUP so seeing a new show of her's made me happy. I think it's a half-hour longer than it needs to be but I love her, the shows, creative challenges. I wonder what else Gail would like the show to have since it's all basic budgeting, which is the point I know, but it'd be interesting to hear her point of view.

Ashley was so clueless, I'm glad that she seemed a bit abashed by the end of the show. She needed a slap to the head.

Mybrainhurts

Mybrainhurts

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 2:47 PM

I really liked Gail--her smackdowns directed at Ashley were awesome. However, I'm not sure Ashley really learned anything since she was whining about the 500 bucks she lost at the end of the show. Also, she doesn't seem like the sort to tolerate being a police officer's wife--too much work and not enough pay. I'm willing to check out next week's show because of Gail, but I'm hoping that they show someone who changes a bit more than Ashley seemed to do.

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2011 @ 3:45 PM

YAY!! love the show!! I've seen every 'Till Debt Do Us Part a zillion times, so I am happy to get some new Gail. The ignorance of this girl on Saturday was wild. I don't remember her name, but she looked a lot like Shannon Doherty. Her boyfriend is a DOOR MAT. This marriage will not bode well.

SpruceGirl

SpruceGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

I really like Till Death Do Us Part because each week brings a different set of circumstances and people at different stages of their lives. I'm afraid with "Princess" we have seen everything the show has to offer in the first show. All we have to look forward to is another entitled princess spending someone else's money.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2011 @ 3:27 PM

Her $35 a week food budget was no big deal to me; I've fed myself on less. It means you eat pretty healthily, actually, because you can't afford junk.

That's an interesting comment - and I agree with it - but in many other places (news stories, magazines, other boards) the concept seems to be that someone of a limited budget is forced to subsist on crap and can't afford healthy food. I know that's not true, but it certainly seems to have taken hold as some sort of financial "truth".

I really like Till Death Do Us Part because each week brings a different set of circumstances and people at different stages of their lives. I'm afraid with "Princess" we have seen everything the show has to offer in the first show. All we have to look forward to is another entitled princess spending someone else's money.

TDDUP (it's Till Debt, not Till Death) is pretty formulaic too; most how-to reality shows are. Since I've seen many Princess eps already, there is both formula and variety in the eps. There are single young princesses, older married ones, older single ones. Some use spouses/boyfriends for money; others use parents/siblings; others use friends. One even relied on an ex. Some spend on the typical stuff like clothes and cosmetics, while others spend on partying. One was a big spender on active pursuits and had an apartment full of gear/equipment plus a number of gym/club memberships.

SpruceGirl

SpruceGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 4:45 PM

TDDUP (it's Till Debt, not Till Death)

Oops! LOL! Thanks!

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 5:35 PM

That's an interesting comment - and I agree with it - but in many other places (news stories, magazines, other boards) the concept seems to be that someone of a limited budget is forced to subsist on crap and can't afford healthy food.

Availability has a lot to do with it. I can walk to the corner and get 4 bananas for $1 off the fruit cart, but not everyone can do that. If you live in a food desert or rely on a food bank, you're not getting a lot of fresh food.

I seem to be the only person watching this, but I just watched my recording of Krista. She was a 37-year-old married childless corporate trainer whose husband kept bailing her out by folding her debt ($60K) into their mortgage. They'd just done so recently and she racked up $7K more in debt. She made $47K as a trainer (which was lower than I would have thought) and was laid off during filming. Gail did a makeunder on her, which was DESPERATELY needed, as her eye makeup was insane. She and her husband had separated once and reunited, and her husband looked pretty through, particularly when it came out that she'd racked up more debt. Part of Gail's challenges involved getting her to think about someone other than herself, which she really needed to do, so Gail had her take her husband out and clean their damn house. She seemed to get it, which was good.

Her need to do the Sex and the City thing bugged me. She'd been married for 12 years. I'm not someone who believes at ALL that people should give up having social lives outside their marriage, but ... don't you like the guy? Why do you want to go out all the time? And it wasn't like THEY were going out; SHE was like "OK, bye honey!" and would just leave.

Tahitian Moon

Tahitian Moon

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 7:05 PM

Empress I am watching this too! I guess I just can't get over much these women take advantage of their loved ones; and how the loved ones allow it. That guy was just an ATM for her. It makes me want to get a sugardaddy and quit my 9-5 (I saw a True Life about it on MTV, you don't even have to sleep with them:)

baking23

baking23

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2011 @ 11:42 AM

Tahitian Moon, you'll have to share how that works!

I'm always surprised how many of these folks have such big enablers around them, I never did, but them I had responsible parents.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2011 @ 2:21 PM

I wonder how many of the Princesses are the youngest or only daughter.

Krista was an odd one, since she was married and getting up there in party girl years. Wonder why she got married? She and her husband didn't really seem to match in any way, from looks to lifestyle to personality.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2011 @ 6:44 PM

Wonder why she got married?

Gail asked her that and she said "Because I loved him and because I knew he'd be a good husband," which I thought was code for "he'd let me get away with murder." She married at 25 (37, married 12 years), which is when most people are at the height of the free-wheeling single life. And if she married at 25, she's ostensibly been with him for longer than that - maybe she feels cheated out of her single 20s so is living them now?

It makes me want to get a sugardaddy and quit my 9-5 (I saw a True Life about it on MTV, you don't even have to sleep with them:)

Heh. I saw that too, and the discussion in that thread is about how you totally DO have to sleep with them if that's what they want.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 9:51 AM

I set my DVR to record this series (I'm in the US and we're just now getting it on some cable channel, I can't remember which), and found one that it picked up a day or two ago. The princess was single, worked in a high end department store selling cosmetics (okay, she had a fancy beauty consultant kind of title, but she was as Gail noted, essentially a shopgirl though in a really fancy way).

Princess Lee (I think that was her name) was attractive and charming, but living the lifestyle of someone with several million bucks' capital behind her instead of an ever-shrinking and very modest salary. Enabled by her parents, who had in the past co-signed a consolidation loan so she could bail out of deep credit card debt. Early in the episode her dad said to the camera that he believed she was now out of debt. Hah.

I thought Gail's challenges were well-suited to this princess. Having her choose only four dresses and two pair of shoes to wear for a month, and clearing everything else out of the closet. Giving her the cash amount for food and living expenses for a week or whatever it was. And making her file her taxes. I also liked how Gail read the sibling situation, and repeatedly warned Lee's sister that harsh negativity wouldn't help and might doom the whole exercise. (Word to the commenter upthread who mentioned the prodigal son story.)

The really good part of this episode was the $1000 challenge. Midway or so in the process, Gail just handed Lee a thousand bucks in cash and said she could do whatever she wanted with it. Lee fondled an expensive coat, called someone (her sis? her mom?) to consult on what to do and confess her bewilderment. Ultimately, she didn't splurge with the money but applied it to her debt.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I took away the idea that it was a big deal to her that her parents had again co-signed on a consolidation loan so she can pay her debts off in a couple of years instead of 30 or 50. I still think her real career goal is to marry a guy who can afford her preferred luxury lifestyle, but I could be wrong. She seems to come from a sensible middle-class, comfortable but not wealthy, background, and maybe this high-end-condo-and-shopping-district stuff will turn out to be a unique chapter in her life. I don't know; once you think you're entitled to $1000 purses and $500 jars of face cream, can you ever go back to the real world?

Edited by Suz at Large, Jul 26, 2011 @ 10:00 AM.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2011 @ 5:46 PM

I just cannot fathom $500 jars of face cream - what's it made of, fairy tears and ground-up unicorn horn? The average $5 tube of Jergens will work just as well, 'tis true.

It's such a retail joke anyway, to sell what is probably $1 worth of cream in a pretty $5 jar and slap a $500 price tag on it just because dimwits like these Princesses think a higher price somehow makes it better.

I actually know people who say they never buy anything on sale because they assume something is on sale because it's inferior or flawed. Oy.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

I really thought this show was about princesses when I would come across the title here. I happened upon this show one day. I saw the Princess Lee episode. I hadn't seen the begining so until I saw her parents, I really thought she was a princess. lol.

I don't understand how she could be so irresponsible especially after she lost some income and her parents bailed her out. I feel like she learned her lesson but won't be above spending a lot of money for something here and there.

I don't get the 'never buying things on sale' attitude. Most of the designer stuff in my house, I got at a really good sale, at a place like Ross or they were given as a gift. I don't see the point in spending so much money for something when I get the same thing some time later for less money. That's logic not the other way around. How exactly is it now inferior because it got marked down even though it's the same thing it was last week?

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2011 @ 11:13 PM

I don't get it either - sales are how I buy most things, including groceries - but the couple people I know who have said that, say that they assume something is marked down because it's flawed (torn, dirty, missing a button, doesn't work, I don't know).

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 12:46 PM

I don't get the 'never buying things on sale' attitude. Most of the designer stuff in my house, I got at a really good sale, at a place like Ross or they were given as a gift. I don't see the point in spending so much money for something when I get the same thing some time later for less money.

I think there are two reasons for this. As well as for buying items such as beauty products at premium prices. Firstly, rational thinking about financial matters is entirely out of keeping with these young women's image and sense of themselves. So many of these young women appear to be living (residing, dining, dressing, grooming, vacationing) so wildlly out of keeping with their incomes. Budgeting, keeping an eye on prices, distinguishing between wants and needs is something for "little" people to concern themselves with, not someone as important as they appear to see themselves to be.

Secondly, the money to pay for these items isn't theirs (e.g own salary or savings). It comes from family, friends, credit card companies, whatever. So why care about prices?

Edited by dustylil, Jul 30, 2011 @ 9:13 PM.

Suz at Large

Suz at Large

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2011 @ 1:43 PM

Just to be accurate: Lee, the subject of that "princess" episode, never uttered a word about not buying things on sale.

It was Shermie who brought that up, apparently referring to some people he knows and not to anyone on this show:

I actually know people who say they never buy anything on sale because they assume something is on sale because it's inferior or flawed. Oy.

As to Lee, I was pleasantly surprised because by the end of the episode she seemed more realistic about what she could and couldn't afford, than at the beginning.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 10:37 AM

Just to be accurate: Lee, the subject of that "princess" episode, never uttered a word about not buying things on sale.

It was Shermie who brought that up, apparently referring to some people he knows and not to anyone on this show

Katie, the subject of the most recent episode, said she never bought things on sale because it's "the shit no one wants."

Katie was ridiculous. Lived at home, paid no rent, did no chores, AND her mom shelled out for her car payment ($500 a month) and insurance, cell phone ($200 a month), shopping, etc. Had her hair colored every 3-4 weeks, blown out twice a week, tanning, Botox (at 24!). Gail told her she sounded like a 13-year-old brat instead of a 24-year-old woman. She was $28K in debt (all consumer - she was going back to school to be a pharmacy tech so would soon incur student loans) and spent $8K a year on beauty alone, and she took home $2200 a month as a nanny.

What bugged me (and I am not really a pet person) is that she brought a dog into her mom's house against her mom's wishes. Didn't bother to train the dog, and didn't do any research about the medical needs it would require, which were numerous and which she couldn't afford (she borrowed from her parents). Pets aren't accessories.

She seemed kind of flighty, and I'm not sure she fully got it. She got $4000.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 12:24 PM

I thought Katie looked pretty haggard for her age. She needs to lay off the frosted pink lipstick, the smoking, and the tanning beds.