Princesses: Canadian Royalty Only Need Apply

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

367 replies to this topic

WhineandCheez

WhineandCheez

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 8:08 AM

Ok, here is the thread for Gail Voz-Oxlade's new show on young women who are financially spoiled by their parents. Canadians--go for it!! If it's good enough--I may immigrate!

Edited by WhineandCheez, Sep 22, 2010 @ 8:14 AM.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 11:49 AM

I doubt this thread will get much traffic, unfortunately; look at other Canadian-only shows like Rich Bride, Poor Bride.

However, I caught some of last night's ep. I forget the Princess's name; she was early 30s, blonde and attractive. She went from an annual salary of $72,000 to $59,000 to $45,000 as a cosmetics sales woman at a "major department store". I'm guessing The Bay. Wow, I had no idea they made that much.

She was still spending at her 72K level when she was making 45K, and there was her problem. Well, I'd say her problem was that she was a ridiculous spender all-around, but I suppose some people think a $1,000 purse is okay. I don't see the difference, and I'd rather buy a $50 purse and use the difference for a vacation.

This Princess also enjoyed hanging out at bars and having $18 martinis, she spent tens of thousands of dollars on shoes and dresses, and - this was the most egregious to me - she bought $500 moisturizer! Yes, she had nice skin, but I suspect she'd have that with $20 moisturizer too.

Gail even called her a "shopgirl" who was living like she was more than that. Ouch. She asked her, "When the nice skin and sparkly eyes have faded, what will be left?" The question left her speechless.

Ceri

Ceri

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 2:49 PM

Thanks for starting this thread!!

I really liked the latest Princess---she really seemed to learn her lesson, and was the first of the three so far to get the whole amount.

GracieM

this Princess also enjoyed hanging out at bars and having $18 martinis, she spent tens of thousands of dollars on shoes and dresses, and - this was the most egregious to me - she bought $500 moisturizer!

The moisturizer killed me too...well, that and the fact that she had spent $25K on clothes, shoes etc. in a TWO YEAR time frame. She seemed very immature for a 33 year old (still borrowing money from mom & dad). I'm guessing she worked at Holt Renfrew. Add me into the shocked group when it comes to the fact that the ladies at the makeup counters in these stores make so much!! (No wonder they're so aggressive!). I did find she was a lot less petulant and bitchy (as the other girls), and just CLUELESS about what amounts are reasonable to spend on disposable items. I think Gail really liked her too. Some of her challenges were a hell of a lot less challenging than ones we've seen before. (throw a sushi party?....god.) She was the first of the three that didn't get a personal fashion shopper to help her shop on a budget.hmmm.

This show is growing on me...it's not up to the level of TDDUP yet...but it definetly has potential.

Edited by Ceri, Sep 22, 2010 @ 2:50 PM.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 7:41 AM

I suppose if she's pushing customers to buy $500 moisturizer then it makes sense (in her world) that that's what a well-turned-out woman uses. Wouldn't she get a discount? Shouldn't she use her own store's products?

This is another show that needs a followup. I think Princess and Till Debt should make it part of production to have a five-minute followup segment on a previous participant at the end of every episode. This year's participants can be next year's followups.

Averett

Averett

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 8:50 AM

I'm pretty sure the most recent Princess, Lee, was working at Holt Renfrew. They showed the outside of that store a few times, and it's in the fancy neighborhood (Yorkdale in Toronto) that she felt she needed to live in.

I also would love some follow-ups. And I'm pretty sure there's one chick who's coming up who was previously on TDDUP and another show called Marriage Under Construction, oh and also a show that competes with TDDUP called Maxed Out. Her name is Gillian and her husband is Ed. I think I caught a glimpse of her during a commercial promoting Princess.

Dawn47

Dawn47

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

Gillian again? Really? I think she just likes being on television.

I found Lee less annoying than the other 2 princesses. Appears to me she just didn't manage to cut her spending when her income was cut.

cyberchick30

cyberchick30

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 1:34 PM

I've seen Gillian on different reality shows --- 2 of them being debt management shows --- and now on Marriage Under Construction. She comes off as a huge famewhore. It's annoying. When a couple appears on Til Debt Do Us Part, usually I think they have genuine motives for doing the show. But I think this woman just likes to be seen.

Oh, and I like this new show. I liked the latest Princess. Her heads did seem to be in the clouds about what it reasonable given your income level, but I think she learned some tough lessons at the end of it. And I think Gail was fond of her as well. I like that Gail's personality didn't really change on this new show --- she's the same as she was on TDDUP.

I laughed a bit at the Princess when she had to go shopping and she went right for the same headband that she already had on. And that jacket she loved looked the same as the one she had been wearing throughout the episode.

I sensed some bad blood between the Princess and her sister. I think they have had some bad history.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 5:20 PM

I sensed some bad blood between the Princess and her sister. I think they have had some bad history.

When Gail was praising Lee towards the end of the episode, the story of the Prodigal Son came to mind.

au jus

au jus

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 8:37 AM

Love Gail, hate this show. Watched two eps and admittedly FF'd through the second. It's a half hour too long & unlike TDDUP, I really don't care if they go bankrupt, get the feeling it's all a big famewhore joke to them. At least the eps I caught.

And What? That annoying blonde Gillian was promoting this? Why?! She should be banned from Canadian reality shows for her annoying nasal voice alone. If I see her, I usually change the channel. That's not good PR.

Heard through the internet grapevine that Gail had another TDDUP-esque show in production. They are looking for families/parents/soon to be parents/parents of multiples/adoption etc. At least you know there is a lot at stake for these families. But Princesses living at home or in the nail salon? Wasting money on designer shit & $500 moisturizers? Pfffft who cares.

Eagerly awaiting new eps of TDDUP. Bring back the couples who pay their mortgages with lines of credit, spend $1700 a month on food & have 22% car loans!

devajd

devajd

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2010 @ 4:45 PM

OMG.That was the princessiest princess who ever princessed. Botox at 23?! On a nanny salary? And I don't think pharmacy techs make the kind of money she will need to support the lifestyle she wants.

I cannot believe Gail didn't make her sell the enormous luxury SUV.

Also, her Mother belongs on the show as well. I wonder if the parents didn't recently get divorced and are worried that their little girl is still just too damaged by it all? I bet she played that card aaaalll the time. I don't believe that she's "rehabilitated" for 5 seconds.

Dawn47

Dawn47

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 9:52 AM

Devajd I believe Katie lived with her mother and stepfather. Doubt her attitude had anything to do with her parent's divorce as who knows how long they have been apart.

Appears that the mother could afford the lifestyle if she wanted judging by the home but they were wanting to downsize so I don't think the mother had a princess attitude at all.

Edited by Dawn47, Oct 5, 2010 @ 8:57 AM.

Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 11:42 PM

I've never heard of this show. Is the name of it actually "Princesses," or is this another TWOP attempt to be cute? What US network carries it? Thank you. I'm a fan of Gail's.

Dawn47

Dawn47

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2010 @ 8:56 AM

Yes it's called Princess. Not sure if it's on in the U.S. There has only been 3 episodes of it so far.

SusieCue

SusieCue

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2010 @ 1:48 PM

Wow. Last night's girl was awful. Stealing her great aunt's car? What an entitled little, well, princess. I can't believe great aunt gave her the keys back. I was very glad to see she didn't get the full money as she really didn't earn any, IMO.

Ceri

Ceri

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2010 @ 7:40 AM

Kezia (KAY-shuh) WAS awful. She is also the one that (referenced in the TTDUP thread I think) went to the TO papers and radio to complain about her "treatment" and how she was set up, and hasn't gotten the 2000 yet. I'll try to find the link to bring it over here....and her mom was complaining too.

The minute she said she was on "stress leave" from her make-up counter job I instantly hated her. I think Gail was right on the money. This girl wanted her 15 min and wanted the 5000. She didn't care about straightening out her finances, didn't care about learning anything. Worst yet, by a mile. I NEVER saw an ounce of shame from her about using her aunt,boyfriend etc. She didn't care at all.dreadful.

I REALLY want to love this show like TTDUP---but I just hate the fact that these hateful, spoiled idiots are given ANY money at all. Yet another under 30 who gets botox. WTF??? I feel like the challenges on TTDUP are a lot more appropriate. I just can't get over the amount of young (in some cases not all THAT young) girls who are so entitled, and trying to live like Paris Hilton. Ugh.

CdnTVwatcher

CdnTVwatcher

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

I'm new to Gail and her shows, but I love the fact that she doesn't put up with these peoples' crap. Also love that, once it became apparent that Kezia and her mother lft behind the great aunt, Gail sent a cab so said great aunt could be present when Kezia's debt was revealed.

Why is it that the more these girls spend on their appearance, the worse they look?

Dawn47

Dawn47

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 2:21 PM

http://www.torontosu...929731-sun.html

I remember reading about this when it happened months ago but had forgotten all about it until the PP mentioned it. Now that I have seen the show it makes sense that it was her.

noisebox

noisebox

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 4:10 PM

I was at the gym watching this episode with Kezia this weekend. This girl had my blood boiling and thankfully I channeled that rage into my work-out. This girl (and I refer to her as such, because she does not resemble an adult) lives in a dream world. The worst thing, is that the people who supposedly love her, enable her BS. Gail pretty much stated it was telling that even though the mother and the boyfriend wanted her to sort herself out, they didn't fully participate in the process. I wanted to throttle that aunt, who rightly complained about paying for a car her niece pilfered from her, but balked at having Kezia pay her back for her the money she loaned for her education. Since when were people entitled to have their post secondary education paid for by relatives?

The thing that really grinds my gears is this kid is on disability. She apparently couldn't hack it working in a mall for 30 hours a week. She is receiving money from insurance or the gov't because she can't be arsed to work. I would love to know what doctor signed the papers saying she was mentally stressed from doing a job she is trained to do. If she really has anxiety issue, go see a shrink, that is covered by O.H.I.P..

She is lucky she even got two grand from Gail.

Edited by noisebox, Oct 18, 2010 @ 4:10 PM.

noisebox

noisebox

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 1:15 AM

I am getting into this show and this thread is limping. Anyway, did anyone see this past week's show with Neelam? She is 21, has dreams of a glamourous career in tv, thousands of dollars in debt, and get this, WORKS AS A DEBT COLLECTOR! LOL!

She actually looks like one of the princesses that will make it.

Dawn47

Dawn47

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 9:25 AM

Neelam didn't bother me all that much except for the botox and fake eyelashes. So many young people have debt and low paying jobs and come to their senses eventually. At least Neelam was out on her own rather than living at home.

She's young and had supportive parents so she will do okay. Her mother looked totally taken back at some of her daughter's choices as did her father. I think they will be making her smarten up.

Really she needed to cut back with the college frat lifestyle. A limo for going out several times a week?

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 10:11 PM

Neelam didn't bother me all that much except for the botox and fake eyelashes. So many young people have debt and low paying jobs and come to their senses eventually. At least Neelam was out on her own rather than living at home.

She's young and had supportive parents so she will do okay.

I think she'll do fine as well. Much more impressive certainly than today's participant, Julie. She too was unattached, cossetted by family, in debt, had a low paying job and was spending way too much of her money on fripperies. Unfortunately, Julie was all of 40.

Dawn47

Dawn47

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 8:59 AM

Makes you wonder if Julie's spending had anything to do with her divorce. And she said she owned a home with her ex. Wonder what happened to the equity in that home.

I could not imagine being 40 with no pension, no RRSPs, no house and no spouse.

And $37,000 for Winnipeg isn't bad but for Toronto is pretty meager!

Edited by Dawn47, Oct 27, 2010 @ 9:00 AM.

devajd

devajd

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2010 @ 3:18 PM

The Kortney episode was very refreshing! Finally a "princess" who was not a shopaholic and didn't need that sort of spending rehab, and who had a decent job! I think there are a lot more of us who watch the show who are in a similar boat (or maybe just me.. 5 years ago) who have our student debt and a good job and think we can have it "all" somehow by using credit. My life was a lot like Kortney's until I met my husband.

Dawn47

Dawn47

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 10:00 AM

The one last night? Can't remember her name - aspiring singer who just broke off with her sugar daddy?? OMG!! There HAD to be something more to the story. She had no debt that was mentioned besides owing money for a cell phone bill. She had to be earning money somehow?

She was 35 so where had she been living prior to being with her ex-BF for 18 months?? With her parents??

I think she just wanted to be on the show to get publicity for her singing career. It was just so odd.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 11:08 AM

There HAD to be something more to the story.

I'll say. And then there was the fact that she had no visible means of support for much of the six weeks. What (or more likely whom) was providing her income once both the boyfriend and the show stopped bankrolling her? Even her friend seemed puzzled.

I think she just wanted to be on the show to get publicity for her singing career.

That was my thinking as well. But then she blew off the bar gig, wasted time at the recording studio and paid no attention to the career advice from the industry maven. I would have thought she would have grabbed those opportunities with both hands. Of course, those things would have required some effort on her part. And effort apparently is for other people.

Dawn47

Dawn47

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 12:52 PM

I've never seen Gail argue like that before! In some ways it was uncomfortable to watch - LOL.

Think Gail was pretty PO'd that the chick had totally wasted everyone's time and money.

snarkmonster

snarkmonster

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 2:41 PM

Nicola was completely dilusional. She must have something shady going on on the side because she said she always manages to find a way to get what she wants. She's 35 and had only been dating her ex for 18 months yet she has absolutely nothing to show for herself other than clothes. She must be a perpetual girlfriend to older men with money.

How she thinks she can make it in the music industry with such a stuffed up sound is beyond me. She sounded like she wanted a music executive to drop a huge check on her doorstep and then whisk her away on tour to make bunches of money.

I can't believe that the show fronted her so much money! Two months rent, cell phone, money for food, money for furnishings, crazy! I'm glad Gail gave her nothing. I would have made her pay me back.

Ceri

Ceri

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2010 @ 9:37 PM

I think she just wanted to be on the show to get publicity for her singing career. It was just so odd

I agree....but I don't know that publicity would do her any good---she was DREADFUL! I wanted to reach through the tv and smack Nicola repeatedly. She didn't want to work because it would "take time away from persuing her art" WTF??? There was definetly something fishy here---she had NO income, there was some weird dynamic with the sugar daddy and the break up (he kept going on about the laptop that was 'there on the first filming day')---was she hooking, selling people's stuff? VERY strange. She also didn't seem that surprised that she didn't get anything. (although---between the first and last rent on a nice place (about $1800?)...the $900 cell phone bill, the money to live on and the furniture money, she probably got about 3000-4000 from the show. disgusting. I thought she should've had to pay it back.

Nicola is the kind of person that really hilights why I don't like this show near as much as TDDUP---so few of these princesses are deserving of ANYTHING---they already feel entitled and spend money frivilously on themselves. I much prefer the 'regular folk' from TDDUP that have made some (sometimes huge) financial blunders, but generally WANT to learn how to fix it, and are willing to work really hard, and make sacrifices to get themselves back in order. Except for (I think) Neelam, I didn't really feel invested at all in whether most of these ditsy self-involved idiots got it together. (there may be another one that was ok...but I'm blanking.) For me though, Nicola, Kezia ('whine'), and the twit who was using her nana's credit card have been the worst.

I almost wish this show didn't even offer the $5000.00 "prize". I wish that if there was an incentive---that the whole thing would be done with a group of princesses, and the one who made the most improvement would get the prize. I also can't believe the age of some of these "girls". 35 or 40 years old? no RRSP? no JOB??? good lord. I think that's why Neelam gets a little bit more of a pass from me. She was very young---and I think if someone had put my finances under the microscope at that age I wouldn't have come off too well either. However, I'm 40 now---and I can't fathom not having ANYTHING to show for it except a pile of debt. (I do of course have some debt---but it's in the form of a mortgage and maybe $2000 in cc debt.

I REALLY want to love this show, because I love Gail, TDDUP and her books....I just......don't.

noangel139

noangel139

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2011 @ 7:27 PM

I wanted to reach through the tv and smack Nicola repeatedly.

My thoughts exactly. When I first heard about the ex-boyfriend dynamic, I thought honey you're a glorified hooker. What kind of parents raise such an self-absorbed entitled looser?

Edited by noangel139, Feb 19, 2011 @ 7:28 PM.

GracieM

GracieM

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 6:44 PM

They just reran the Nasally Nicola ep. Yeah... a singing career, really? She was terrible and I didn't understand her not showing up for a gig; isn't that how one gets a singing career? By booking gigs to sing for money, hoping that will lead to more gigs and more money? And being 1 1/2 hours late for the recording session without explanation?

I agree with Gail. NN just said what she thought Gail wanted to hear, "I choose to pay my ex back for the cell phone charges instead of the spa day or cab fare." I wonder how much her fingers were twitching to grab that cab voucher.