1-1: "Pilot" 2010.09.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

194 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 1:00 PM

TV Guide sez:

The series about a spectacular conspiracy gets underway with everyman Sean Walker (Jason Ritter) looking into the disappearance of his girlfriend Leila (Sarah Roemer) from a Caribbean cruise. In other events, the president (Blair Underwood), over the objections of his National Intelligence director (Željko Ivanek), plans to announce he's releasing a group of detainees.

Remember, talk about the episode in this thread, but if your post is just theories about what's going to happen, you should go to the Speculation thread.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

I heard so many bad things about this show from various reviews. I thought that maybe it would be fun to get drunk and watch some really bad TV. At first, all I could think was, “Seriously? Some jackass thinks he can run down a fucking airplane in his SUV? What the hell was his plan?

Then there was some boring shit with Jason Ritter and a pretty potential fiancé and I nearly fell asleep (or passed out).

But then, suddenly, HE was there...Tony Fucking Todd! Nobody told me that The Candyman would be on this show! And in a role that has more gravitas than that lame-ass one on Chuck! I was ready to write this show off, but I think I will have to watch again, since in this universe, Tony Todd IS Colin Powell.

Luke from Gilmore Girls is too young to be the Pretty Potential Fiancé’s father. But it’s nice to see him again, too. I’m sure he was compromised into being a terrorist. The plane was...vaporized? Who are THEY? This may be watchable in a tongue-in-cheek way.

Edited by hollyhox, Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:04 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

The 24 graphics made me all nostalgic.
Well, they played their scifi cards early. I'm definitely getting a 4400 vibe off the 'detainees'.

turn2theriiight

turn2theriiight

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:02 PM

Always call the credit card company first.

Soooo, everything hinges on supernatural crap too silly to get past. I want to thank the producers for revealing that in the first episode so I can get back to football.

jmz

jmz

Loyal Viewer

Well I wasn't expecting that.

I like it so far. Can't wait for next week.

tracyKAY

tracyKAY

Couch Potato

Even with the creepynot ending, I STILL don't give a shit what the event is.

Gambie

Gambie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:06 PM

I debated whether to watch this or another show premiering at the same time. Kicking myself for not choosing the other show.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:09 PM

Well, they played their scifi cards early. I'm definitely getting a 4400 vibe off the 'detainees'.

I'm getting that vibe, too. I'm in. Sci fi makes me happy.

keeperrox

keeperrox

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:10 PM

I switched over to this because Lone Star couldn't keep my attention in the first few minutes. Not a fan of the Sci-Fi spin, so I doubt it will be must see tv, but I'll keep checking websites to find out what the hell it's all about.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:10 PM

While it's certainly not Lost, 24 or Fringe, it's still probably the best new action\intrigue series of the season. I hope the characters become more interesting in subsequent episodes as they were largely a bore in this one. Underwood better fire Ivanek and his VP or else he is little more than a powerless patsy.

Sophia is obviously responsible for the plane's disappearance or she definitely knows who is. If this show is going to succeed, it will need to exploit that mystery and keep her front and center. For now, I'm going to believe she is a time traveler and wait for the show to prove me wrong.

EllieH

EllieH

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:11 PM

The plane was...vaporized?

A bunch of people disappearing, a ball of light over the water, a huge explosion? I've seen that before! Now, when and where do the people come back having not aged a day?

wematanye

wematanye

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:13 PM

I tried; I really did. My attention faded after the first half-hour. I blame FlashForward, which I loved, but which was so rudely ripped from my grasp.

Raid Maze

Raid Maze

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:13 PM

I worry that this being on NBC, up against Dancing with the D-Listers and up against football, we'll never find out what the Event is.

But overall, I liked it. I enjoy the style of storytelling.

JennB

JennB

Stalker

• Interests:Writing, reading, "House," "The Office," "The Amazing Race," "Lost," "Grey's Anatomy," "How I Met Your Mother," "Survivor" (sometimes), and pretending I still know what reality is.

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:14 PM

This was the only new show I decided to try out, and I'm glad I did. The cast is part of what drew me in - Jason Ritter, Laura Innes, Zeljko Ivanek, Scott Patterson, Blair Underwood... I figured if they all signed on for it, there must be something good there. And I need at least one show that makes me think.

I actually laughed when I saw Lisa Vidal's name in the credits - her and Laura Innes' characters on ER were lovers. And then I booed when I saw Lauren Stamile's name, but I barely noticed her on the show. Was she one of the reporters?

Edited by JennB, Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:15 PM.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:15 PM

Luke from Gilmore Girls is too young to be the Pretty Potential Fiancé’s father.

Scott Patterson is 52, and she seems in her late 20s, so it doesn't seem that weird to me. It IS weird that Scott Patterson is 52 though.

More than anything it makes me think of Daughters, a spoof of 24, but I really don't mean that in an insulting way-- I enjoyed 24 (well, what I've seen of it). I feel like, though there are elements of OTTness in the show, I just...I don't really care because I enjoy wondering what's going to happen, and I want to see what happens to Jason Ritter.

I am concerned about the rewatch value of this show as a whole, though.

Edited by dives, Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:21 PM.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:16 PM

Soooo, everything hinges on supernatural crap too silly to get past. I want to thank the producers for revealing that in the first episode so I can get back to football.

I'm kind of feeling that way right now too, but I'm going to give it a little while longer to see if its good. I really enjoyed the first 55 minutes of this for the most part (with the exception of the idiot trying to run down a plane in an SUV), but the introduction of supernatural stuff at the end just kind of annoyed me. I guess maybe I was hoping for something with a more realistic approach after Lost's disappointing conclusion.

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:17 PM

Wow...good luck finding this thread. It's like Where's Waldo for TWoP.

I thought it was okay. Except for very rare exceptions, pilots always suck. They just do. You have to jam a bunch of awkward exposition in, you have to introduce the characters and show their personalities and motivations to the audience pretty much immediately, you have to show how the characters relate to each other, and you have to deliver a strong plot that explains what the show is about and why we should keep watching. It's nearly impossible. But they did okay. I'm somewhat interested in what's going on.

Just please, please don't let this turn into another Flash Forward. That scarred people.

Edited by Belley, Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:17 PM.

shmork

shmork

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:17 PM

I enjoyed this episode. "The Event" intrigued me enough to watch the pilot, plus I heard something happened in the last few minutes that "changed everything".

Well done.

Jason Ritter is a good lead. I enjoy watching him.

I like what I see so far. I don't know how long I'll stay interested. "Rubicon" has already lost me.

And, yes, the scifi card was played early...maybe too early.

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

All that boring, corny crap between Sean and Leila almost made me give up on this show, and unfortunately that took up practically all of the first half-hour. It got better in the 2nd half, but the sci-fi twist at the end was a little disappointing. Now the producers can write in any "reality" they want to. Great. In fact maybe this entire first episode was just a dream that Martinez' son had [[rolling eyes]]. And I hate it when writers (over)use the out-of-sequence storytelling tool as a gimmick when it doesn't really serve the narrative. It screams "there's not much here so we hope by playing this out of sequence you won't notice."

I liked it enough to watch next week, though.

wematanye

wematanye

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

I'm still tired from Lost, too, which was a big letdown in the end. I kept watching The Event thinking, "Am I supposed to remember the flight number? And the room number? Wait, what was the license tag number [rewinding TiVo]?? This might *mean something*!"

I also watch Rubicon, so really, there's just no room left upstairs for another conspiracy TV show.

McKittenplan

McKittenplan

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:21 PM

I admit I only watched this for pretty, pretty Jason Ritter so my expectations were pretty low but I thought this was just stupid, boring, and derivative. I honestly can't imagine this being a ratings success so I'm just hoping it gets canceled quickly and JR can find a better project.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:22 PM

Scott Patterson is 52, though, and she seems in her late 20s, so it doesn't seem that weird to me. It IS weird that Scott Patterson is 52 though.

That is very weird!

Except for very rare exceptions, pilots always suck.

Couldn't agree more, which is why I'm gonna watch at least 1 more episode.

Wow...good luck finding this thread. It's like Where's Waldo for TWoP.

What up with that?!

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:24 PM

This has Flash Forward written all over it. "Eight days earlier," "Three days ago," "17 days and 35 minutes ago." It got to be a bit ridiculous after a while, to the point where the action paused and I chimed in "65 days ago!"

I was so worried they were going to saddle Blair Underwood with a ridiculous Spanish accent, so at least they didn't pull that. I also almost tuned out when the young couple was getting all lovey. Maybe there was a plot point in there but I seriously started to cut it off right about then.

It was the hour that kept on subtracting. I feel like I watched about 15 minutes worth of television. Really, what happened? Anyway, all I know is, if my loved one is drowning, I think I'd jump in unless I was in seriously bad condition. But maybe that was supposed to be the tipoff for the couple. Maybe that or the woman chilling on the beach after almost drowning earlier. And no visible bump on her head, or any injury.

Most of all, I really am feeling like tracyKAY, in that I don't see any reason why I should care about what "the event" is.

You know what this is? A bunch of badly remade Twilight Zone episodes - namely The Odyssey of Flight 33 and one other one where the main character gets the old "you were never here" routine. I wonder what they used to get the airplane to generate the 1.21 Gigawatts they needed.

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

It was so, so. They sure were trying mighty hard not to give any clue about any thing.

I do enjoy Jason Ritter lots so he might be the only reason that I stick around for awhile. I absolutely hated that they introduced the people with their fricking names. It was really confusing after the first commercial break because they introduced the character by putting the name on the screen at practically the same time they put the actors names on the screen. STUPID.

I can deal with time jumps, but they did to many and did do many random times. The episodes should really just focus at one point in time and then go forward. Jumping to 23 minutes before, then eight days before, then 4 days before, then 18 months before, then like 4 minutes before or whatever they all did...plain too much jumping around. ETA: Doom, you beat me too it!

Just please, please don't let this turn into another Flash Forward. That scarred people.

I think that show had a much better pilot. It doesn't give me much hope that I am barely intrigued by The Event's pilot.

I'm still tired from Lost, too, which was a big letdown in the end. I kept watching The Event thinking, "Am I supposed to remember the flight number? And the room number? Wait, what was the license tag number [rewinding TiVo]?? This might *mean something*!"

I know your pain. I was doing that too! I was like, ariasairline (or whatever)...what does that MEAN!?!?!

Edited by Roll the dice, Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:28 PM.

Raid Maze

Raid Maze

Couch Potato

It's a one hour pilot at that, making it that much more convoluted.

Thankfully, the characters are fairly easy to follow. Idealistic president, slim balls surround him, a desperate dad, daughter(s?) in peril, and so forth.

The sci-fil element, I like it when its something unknown is more a force of nature rather than something 'controlled'.

I'm coming back next week, for sure.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:28 PM

slim balls surround him

There were balls?

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:31 PM

This was the only new show I decided to try out, and I'm glad I did. The cast is part of what drew me in - Jason Ritter, Laura Innes, Zeljko Ivanek, Scott Patterson, Blair Underwood... I figured if they all signed on for it, there must be something good there. And I need at least one show that makes me think.

That's essentially why I tuned in tonight. Well, one of the promos had Blair Underwood, and I immediately needed to know what this show was all about. I've never watched a minute of Lost, so I can't compare this show to that (and normally I'm not big on sci-fi stuff), but I will continue to check out The Event because I want to know what the hell is going on.

Because this is the opening episode and they need to introduce a lot of characters, I can see how it seemed too expository. However, I think it will be that way for a few episodes. The characters that they focused on were interesting. At first I wasn't sure if I could trust Shane (well, I still don't know if I can trust him), but there are enough hints that lead me to believe that he's on the up and up. Sophia, on the other hand? Something is up with her. I also like Blair Underwood as President Martinez. Nice touch making him the second-generation child of immigrants that come from a country that has a very contentious relationship with the country for which Martinez eventually became Commander-in-Chief.

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

Loved it! I am a huge fan of Sci-fi so I will try any show at least one time.

I was not expecting the energy ball-plane sucking thing so that got a wow out of me.
Jason Ritter got another, he sure is pretty.

I hope this show does well and I get to find out what the Event is.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:33 PM

This was pretty bad. I'm sorry but the longer they drag out what "THE EVENT" actually is, the less it'll live up to the hype. Just tell us it's an alien invasion already so we realize it's a V knockoff.

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:36 PM

Just tell us it's an alien invasion already so we realize it's a V knockoff.

I'm worried about aliens too. Weird technology, the mysterious "they", Alaska, it's all pointing towards aliens. Never, ever make the twist aliens. It's stupid and cheesy.

Edited by Belley, Sep 20, 2010 @ 9:38 PM.