Mike & Molly

• Please log in to reply

1249 replies to this topic

Bean9879

Bean9879

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 11:54 AM

I'm going to keep watching, for now. I really like the leads, and (as some other posters mentioned) hopefully the show will move away from wall to wall fat jokes--I think I read a review somewhere that mentioned it will, so fingers crossed.

All the focus on weight will get old really fast, and that's really the main things that bugs. Oh, and the broken finger that came completely out of left field was pretty weird.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:28 PM

I watched because I loved GG and Sookie. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I liked the buddy relationship between Mike and his partner and thought Mike was adorable while trying to ask Molly out. I really want to see them go the Aquarium! :)

Fatty McButter

Fatty McButter

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 12:34 PM

they're at Overeater's Anonymous, meaning they want to stop being fat.

No, it means they want to stop their compulsive overeating. OA is not Weight Watchers.

I laughed out loud throughout the show, and I'm usually very sensitive to fat jokes (I hate that Joel McHale uses them all the time). I thought some of the jokes fell flat, but otherwise, there was a lot to like in the pilot. I'll be sticking around.

Pearlieq

Pearlieq

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 11:00 PM

I'm definitely in. The pilot wasn't perfect by any means, but if this show can get its legs under it and smooth out the rough edges, I think it could be wonderful.

The fat jokes didn't bother me a bit (and yes, FTR, I am fat myself). The ones that were delivered from peripheral characters seemed to be more in a spirit of "life is funny" than denigration. The ones delivered by Mike & Molly themselves rang very true to me--self-deprecating humor, healthy or unhealthy as it may be--is a big part of life for some fat people.

I love the spirit of the show so far. It seems to have a good heart and it seems to be about good people.

My biggest wonder is where this is going, long term. "Two nice people have a normal courtship and live happily ever after" doesn't often show up on TV and works even more rarely. I'm curious as to where they're going with this.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 10:10 AM

I'll give the show one more episode to see if I can 'nurture' it.

Swoosie Kurtz: Put down the Botox! Or sue your plastic surgeon! Aging normally is actually better than having people say, "What in the world has she done to her face?!?"

Loved the school being "Walter Payton Elementary".

Mike: "Why did you become a teacher?"
Molly: "I can't remember."
hee hee

Liked the kids asking Mike about being a cop on the take, being racist, being fat, etc. Kids say the dardnest things.

Molly's sister is too ridiculous to be funny.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 10:16 AM

What was with the gay jokes? They seemed to stick out as being very offensive, maybe because they just weren't funny.

What gay jokes are you speaking of? I don't remember any gay jokes in the show.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 12:53 PM

Loved the school being "Walter Payton Elementary".

Not sure if they were going for a joke there as in fact there is a school in Chicago named after Walter Payton. But it is a high school, not elementary.

Cougar High

Cougar High

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 10:54 AM

Not sure if they were going for a joke there as in fact there is a school in Chicago named after Walter Payton. But it is a high school, not elementary.

Pretty sure they were not going for a joke, just sloppy research. Since the show takes place in Chicago and Molly is an elementary school teacher, TPTB wanted to name the school after a Chicago sport icon. They likely didn't ralize that an actual high school in Chicago already had that name.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 12:03 PM

Hated the laugh track, hated the mouthy school kids, kind of hated the partner, hated the stupid never-ending fat jokes....so it's all one big 'no' for me. I tuned in for Sookie, but I'm out.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

I didn't love the pilot, but thought it was OK enough to give it another shot. Plus I love Melissa McCarthy, she's so good in every role, and so very likable. After Pushing Daisies, Swoozie is on my good list too. But I think they both deserve better than this show.

I liked the second episode less than the first. Once again too many fat jokes - I'm OK with self-deprecating, but some of the ones from Molly's mother and Mike's partner feel a bit too mean spirited for me.

Whoever mentioned getting rid of the stand up stuff at the OA meeting - THANK YOU! Totally agree that should go, glad it wasn't in this one too. That should go, and the horrible sister character - she's a whiny, stupid, cartoon of a person that we've seen a million times on a million other shows.
The show also felt very dated - except for a Facebook line, I could have believed this was a late 80s early 90s sitcom.

I might force myself to give it one more shot, only out of love for Melissa McCarthy, but I'm just not enjoying it.

zoey1996

zoey1996

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

I liked the pilot, but I hope it finds its feet soon. One giant cliche - gal on first date takes cold medicine; hilarity ensues - and nothing else was better.
Sister having to look at the house number - twice - to get the code was amusing. Diner scene with partner not too bad. That's about it. I'll keep trying, but doesn't look too promising at this point.
Except for the last, where Mike says he's going to marry her. Sweet.

SlackerInc

SlackerInc

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 5:56 AM

The show also felt very dated - except for a Facebook line, I could have believed this was a late 80s early 90s sitcom.

So true, babyblackcat! And not a good one, either. It really is surprising that something like this can still be made in this day and age.

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 7:01 AM

In general, I still enjoy this show. However, the show would do itself a favor by having so many fat jokes toward Mike. The number of rude comments made at his expense in this episode was appalling. I didn't have too much a problem with the partner saying things, as the two presumably have a tight relationship; Mike shot back with jokes on him as well. But all these relative strangers just making these horrible comments to his face (or loudly, just off camera)? That is absurd.

Speaking of which, from what alternate universe do Molly's mom and sister originate? There seems to be an attempt at an accent, a fashion sense, and general sluttiness that does not work on this show. Are there people in Chicago who behave in this manner? Other than Peggy Bundy on "Married with Children", I am hard-pressed to recall any Chicago-based character so garish. Even if there is, they don't need two of them - the sister needs to be sent wherever Carrie's sister from "King of Queens" went after the first couple of episodes.

While I generally don't hold traditional sitcom elements against a show, the sight gag of that sweater? I knew when Mike went to that store, that seemed to cater to black gentlemen (apparently, a neighborhood of Cliff Huxtables, without a Claire to keep their weight in check), that he would end up in something a tad loud, but really? Would it have bothered me as much on a single-camera show? Maybe not, as the raucous studio audience laughter wouldn't have accompanied the sight.

eliza422

eliza422

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 10:34 AM

Oh man, I feel like such a loser. I laughed myself silly watching the episode last night...I'm not sure why I like this show, but I do! Considering I also watch and like Rules of Engagement I must have the taste of a troll ;-)

FWIW, I'm a person of excessive girth myself, so I feel like it's OK for me to laugh at the fat jokes, even if I do hope they move past them.
I do like the insanity that is the sister and mom.

tabloidlover

tabloidlover

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

I am really enjoying this show, although I really didn't expect to. The craziness that is mom and sister is just hilarious. The woman that plays Molly is pretty impressive also. I will admit that the fat jokes are a bit much, and I was quite uncomfortable watching Mike endure slings last night. It seemed a bit over the top - are we supposed to believe he ever thought that sweater was a good choice?

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 10:47 AM

Speaking of which, from what alternate universe do Molly's mom and sister originate?

I'm feeling the same way. It seems to me like Molly's mom and sister are meant to be "quirky," but they don't resonate as quite real to me. All the mom seems to do is hang around the house making snotty comments; and I'm not entirely sure what the sister does all day that permits her to dress the way she does. I'm also not entirely buying the three of them continuing to live together; surely Molly would want to get away from them (and could afford her own apartment?) And I doubt the sister would want to be under her mom's eye with all her shady activities (though Mom doesn't seem to care). I dunno.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:35 AM

Speaking of which, from what alternate universe do Molly's mom and sister originate? There seems to be an attempt at an accent, a fashion sense, and general sluttiness that does not work on this show. Are there people in Chicago who behave in this manner?

As a lifelong Chicagoan I can assure you there are people who behave in this manner. But I agree that they are kind of missing the mark in their attempts to make the characters Chicago-like. The daughter seems to be a doing a Chicago by way of Jersey thing. And Swoosie Kurtz mannerisms are hard to place. She is kind of all over the place.

But I am enjoying the show a lot more than I thought I would. I think it helps a lot that the two main characters are quite likable while being very human and flawed.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:04 PM

I didn't get a Chicago vibe at all. I got a sitcom vibe. I also thought they were trying to give Molly other things to snark about besides her own size. And having the "conventionally attractive" sister be a totally dim bulb loser to me was like saying: "See? The fat girl is a much better catch than the skinny girl!" But of course, it's not like it had to be an either/or. At least the dim bulb sister isn't blond.

I do like that the family has not problem with Molly's size, even though they're thin.

But yeah, the whole design of this show is extremely throwback and kind of tacky, even though part of me likes it for reasons I can't articulate. it makes me feel like I pigged out on extremely crappy junk food-- sort of gross but I can't deny I enjoyed it in a sick way.

weedwoman

weedwoman

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 1:23 PM

I have to get this off my chest -- I actually cried a little when M&M were in the car talking after the date. When she was saying how she really liked him and she didn't want to cancel because she thought he'd never call her again, he gave her the sweetest look and then admitted that he really liked her too. I went from giggling at the bathroom scene to tearing up at that. Please don't tell anyone.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 2:58 PM

I actually watched the second episode first (online) and really, really did not like it. I mainly watched because I really liked the actress who plays Molly in Samantha Who? and I was embarrassed for her when I saw this show. Everything from the time she drank the cold medicine until the driving home scene, I thought was just horrible and embarrassing.

But something at the end kind of caught me by surprise -- I did like the guy who plays Mike and I liked the final scenes: both him and Molly at the end of their date and him with his partner in their last scene in the squad car. So I also watched the pilot, which wasn't nearly as bad. Except for the broken finger bit -- that was just disgusting and unnecessary.

So I guess I will watch a few more times and see how it goes. I didn't care for Swoozie Kurtz or the ding-a-ling sister. The part where they were scarfing down cake while Molly was exercising was just gross. I do like Mike's partner and the guy at the diner, although I doubt they are enough to carry the show.

sordidheart88

sordidheart88

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

It really does seem to me like the most appealing part of Mike & Molly is Mike & Molly. I think the show did a good job of casting likeable leads with good chemistry and when it's just the two of them together flirting, happy, and enjoying each other I'm fine with this show. It's all the secondary characters (particularly the sister) who just seem so unreal and ridiculous to me that I can't stand. It's like the creators forgot for a second what they were doing when they created the lead characters and realized that they were too "normal" for a sitcom and didn't feel like they could carry the show so they created these cartoon people to populate their universe.

Edited by sordidheart88, Sep 28, 2010 @ 3:59 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 4:27 PM

I think the mother is worse than the sister. The "joke" about her yelling to tell "the intruder" she's in the shower? Not funny to me. Chuck Lorre has not earned the right to that sort of joke.

The sister is a well-meaning dimwit, but the mom is obnoxious with her disrespect for Mike and the rape jokes are bullshit.

Edited by possibilities, Sep 28, 2010 @ 4:43 PM.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 10:50 PM

I don't think it's promoting unhealthy living. I think, aside from the dated tone and lame/mean jokes, it's trying to point out that people are MORE than what they look like on the outside, and nice, sweet people deserve happiness.

If they were shown constantly eating horrible junk food and loving it without a care in the world, that'd be one thing. But considering both lead characters are in OA, talk about trying to lose weight, and in Molly's case were shown exercising to do so, I don't see it as promoting unhealthy living. If nothing else, all the nasty fat jokes should make people NOT want to be overweight!

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 7:56 AM

If nothing else, all the nasty fat jokes should make people NOT want to be overweight!

And all the nasty blind jokes would make sight-impaired people want to see? All the nasty cripple jokes would make the lame want to get up and walk? All the nasty ugly jokes would make the unattractive want to be pretty? I know it's not a one-to-one comparison here, but my God, the insensitivity of a comment like that staggers the mind.

Edited by Winston Wolfe, Sep 29, 2010 @ 7:56 AM.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 11:39 AM

Wow, looks like I am one for the few who laughed my ass off for the second episode. Molly's inappropriate comments tickled me, but the looks Mike got on his face were what killed me.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 12:30 PM

Wow, Winston Wolfe, either you took that very differently than how I meant it, or I didn't get across what I was trying to say. I'll try to explain it better:

There was an earlier post that said they felt the show was promoting unhealthy living. I think that post has since been edited because I no longer see it.
In context of my whole post, I was trying to point out why I don't feel THE SHOW promotes obesity or unhealthy living - partly because they are depicted as nice and real people working on getting healthier, but also because in THE SHOW when you are overweight, apparently it's OK for your co-workers, family, and other people to make nasty comments and joke about it, even though anyone who has ever struggled with weight (like myself) knows how hurtful that can be. So my point was all the mean jokes are more discouraging of obesity than promoting it.

A big difference between that and the examples you pointed out is that I can't imagine a mainstream sitcom like M&M repeatedly making mean-spirited jokes about blind or disabled people (or other typically permanent, irreversible conditions). Can you picture, if Mike arrived for their date in a wheelchair, the mother going upstairs and loudly making crass comments about that? The network would be inundated with complaints and boycotts (and rightly so).

Edited by babyblackcat, Sep 29, 2010 @ 12:33 PM.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 4:26 PM

My sincerest apologies, babyblackcat. Sometimes things don't translate well over cyberspace. Sadly though, there are some sitcoms that poke fun at the "differently-abled." Take SNL and their (regrettably funny) skits about NYS Governor's Patterson's blindness. Really, really poor taste and I'm glad he pulled them on the carpet for it. But thanks for clearing that up cat. Be well!

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 9:24 PM

No problem, and with the original post gone, there's no context to put it in, so I'm glad my explanation made more sense.
Agree about the SNL/Patterson stuff, those always make me cringe.

Back to the show, I think a REALLY good thing they could do, especially for Molly, is introduce some friends besides the mother and sister.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2010 @ 9:54 AM

Back to the show, I think a REALLY good thing they could do, especially for Molly, is introduce some friends besides the mother and sister.

I was just thinking that, but for Mike -- we've only seen him interacting with Carl thus far. I know he said he lives alone, but I'd guess he has some family in the area, and if not, other co-workers/friends/whoever. But I know we have to give it time, for everyone's "character universe" to expand a bit, since of course they want viewers to get accustomed to the main cast first.

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2010 @ 5:26 PM

It really does seem to me like the most appealing part of Mike & Molly is Mike & Molly. I think the show did a good job of casting likeable leads with good chemistry and when it's just the two of them together flirting, happy, and enjoying each other I'm fine with this show. It's all the secondary characters (particularly the sister) who just seem so unreal and ridiculous to me that I can't stand. It's like the creators forgot for a second what they were doing when they created the lead characters and realized that they were too "normal" for a sitcom and didn't feel like they could carry the show so they created these cartoon people to populate their universe.

This is exactly how I feel too. Billy Gardell and Melissa McCarthy come off so genuine and real that the 2D caricatures surrounding them almost ruin the show. I have hope they'll flesh those supporting characters out more as the show goes on, and stop the constant excessive fat jokes. The writers need to rise above that showing 'Mike & Molly' are more than just their weight.

I'm especially happy for Melissa McCarthy that the show has been doing well so far. I hope she gets an Emmy nom for it.