Mike & Molly

• Please log in to reply

1249 replies to this topic

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

QuoteA lot of that will depend on the actors themselves.

I'm thinking all of it will, unless we aren't talking about the same thing? The characters can't lose more weight than the people who play them, that's what I'm saying.

Yes, we're on the same page, randomchance. I also think it would be great if BG amd MM ask the writers to incorporate bits and pieces of their real life weight struggles into the scripts as well to make the episodes even more relate-able.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

I wish someone on the show would comment on Molly's voice. It's distracting me that the other characters are acting like they don't notice Molly seems to be sick. It doesn't need to be a huge plot point, but just a passing comment about her "cold" or something would make me feel better.

simpleHope

simpleHope

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

The home movie at the end was the best! Mom is her 80s gear, little Victoria in her tutu and rain boots, and then young Molly insisting that mom has to listen to the whole song.

The line about why Mike orders 2 flans was very funny too. But no Nana this episode :(

BlondNotStupid

BlondNotStupid

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

I loved the continuity in this episode with Victoria. At the beginning of the episode the character kept saying "Amazing" and at the end, little Victoria kept saying "Amazing". I also loved little Victoria dancing to the polka music. I think it is adorable how un-self-conscious little kids can be about their outfits and their dancing. That segment caught that characteristic perfectly.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

It was a fun episode, if a little low-key, not that I'm complaining.

"Tell me she didn't say,' ball gag.'" Indeed! Peggy: the only mother-in-law that would bring Jim, a cliched stripper and a big, black vibrator(as a second 'gift') to a bachelorette party! That she put on that outfit was...let's just say priceless.

Seeing Mike's dad and how relatively easy it was for Mike and his dad to talk, and "wrassle", was nice. Maybe it's something that will be recurring next season?

I was a little sad that Samuel's roommates were left out of the festivities. Seeing just Vince, Larry, Samuel, and Carl made me feel badly for Mike. Unless Carl planned it that way to up his chances with a stripper? ::is still unsure:: The bachelorette party made me sadder. Molly only had her mom, Victoria, Christina and Peggy. Not one OA friend, her OA sponsor (if a lady), or any other teacher from school seems unrealistic, even with the harpy/bridezilla makeover Molly's recieved this season! Now, if this was just a close friends/family deal, I could understand. The episode painted this as the only parties Mike & Molly were going to have; I somehow doubt when there's a chance to party, coworkers wouldn't try to have a party as well.

I did like that Mike's dad didn't figure out the woman with the stripper was his ex. I was sorta hoping that Jim would stay with the Flynns, but apparently he wanted to make sure Peggy was going to be okay!

"Him, I know."

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

You know, as a young adult female, I don't claim to know much about the finer dynamics of the father/son relationship. That said, how realistic would it be, for Mike and his dad to go to a strip club together? I tried to picture such a scenario (which, thank heavens, they didn't show) and just felt it would be terribly awkward, if not downright squicky.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

Melissa McCarthy's voice still sounds strained to me, but it's better than it was in the last episode. (I hope she's getting better, whatever that's about.) I loved her interaction with the stripper, her delivery is so matter-of-fact. "Forget that, what I want to know is what hair removal system do you use?"

I wonder if they're planning on getting Peggy and her ex back together.

Rhettwoods

Rhettwoods

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

I think the lack of people at the bachelor and bachelorette parties was probably due to the producers not wanting to pay for extra people; I see that a lot on t.v. -- you just know that in real life, a party/celebration would be larger, but the producers don't want to shell out the money for the set and the extras to have a more realistic party/celebration on t.v.

As for the weight loss, I wonder how much "Mike and Molly" are trying in real life to lose weight. "Mike and Molly" can only do what Billy and Melissa are doing in real life, as someone pointed out above. I think a plot line where one of them loses weight, starts getting attention from the opposite sex for the first time ever, insecurities come to the surface, etc., would be entertaining, but then they would have to decide which one in real life "gets" to lose the weight while the other stays fat. If the writers/producers were going to go for an absolute "let's lose weight together at OA" plotline, they probably could have started with thinner actors and dressed them in "fat suits". Perhaps they have learned from other shows where the "plot" was going to be someone losing weight, and it just didn't turn out that way. I really like both characters, but their weight scares me due to health concerns.

roughing it

roughing it

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

It looks to me like both Billy and Melissa have lost weight. It's definitely a slow, difficult journey, not at all like "The Biggest Loser". Good for them, if they have!

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

I think a plot line where one of them loses weight, starts getting attention from the opposite sex for the first time ever, insecurities come to the surface, etc., would be entertaining, but then they would have to decide which one in real life "gets" to lose the weight while the other stays fat.

That's a storyline with a lot of potential, but I don't see it happening. This season they've basically been focusing more on the upcoming marriage and less on the OA plot.

It looks to me like both Billy and Melissa have lost weight.

Really? Seems like the opposite to me. Billy, at best is standing still. Melissa has clearly gotten larger this season. As someone fighting "the battle of the bulge" all my life, I really empathize with their struggles.

Edited by Winston Wolfe, May 2, 2012 @ 7:01 PM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

They did that storyline on King of Queens and it was really funny, so I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I don't want to see it on this show. It would make it seem like they only chose each other because nobody else was interested in them, and that would be sad.

In fact, on reflection, I wish they had met in some other way that OA, so that there wasn't so much focus on will they/won't they lose weight. If losing a significant amount of weight was just a matter of joining AA and eating carrot sticks at the ballpark, neither of these actors would be overweight in the first place, considering that they're in a profession where your appearance dictates your career opportunities.

Edited by randomchance, May 2, 2012 @ 6:36 PM.

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

After weeks of listening to Melissa croak out her lines, I have to wonder why it was so hard to write her holding a glass of orange juice, taking vitamins, while Mike tells her to "rest her voice" buying himself some silence.

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Was that Carl Winslow from Family Matters as the priest in tonights episode? I never remembered him being that big.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

He looked the same to me Balboa.

Since we were *treated* to a full hour season finale of the gem that's 2 Broke Girls....will we hopefully get an hour for M&M's wedding next week?

Mike looked pretty good in his tux. Less Mack-truckish.

Edited by shopper gal, May 7, 2012 @ 9:19 PM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

That was a really good episode - fast-paced and funny but with sweet moments too, like the garter present.

Favorite lines: "The busboy hugged me on the way out," awwww Carl. And, "ok, but it's like keeping a hat on a dog."

I wish I could somehow un-notice Melissa McCarthy's hoarse voice, because it's really distracting.

The guys did look good in those tuxes.

Has wedding tradition changed so drastically in the last few years that it's no longer "bad luck" for the bride to take part in the rehearsal? Usually someone stands in for her.

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:55 AM

Has wedding tradition changed so drastically in the last few years that it's no longer "bad luck" for the bride to take part in the rehearsal? Usually someone stands in for her.

Really? Not in my experience. The bride always takes part in the rehearsal AFAIK.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

Hmmm well that made me wonder if it was just some kind of a weird local superstition so I looked it up, and apparently it's one of those things like eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day - some people wouldn't dare buck the tradition, and some people never heard of it.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:28 AM

The sweetest moment was the Molly/Victoria garter scene. I got teary. Lovely work ladies. The "Would you please wear a bra?" and the nodding made it art.

"Let me change my shoes." Maybe the ex-Mrs. Vince and Peggy could meet? Or would it be two Alpha Harpies slugging it out for dominance?

What is it with Lorre comedies and guys spilling 'I love you' at the drop of a hat, when the ladies are clearly not ready for that step? Stop it! FWIW, I did want to give Carl a hug, but to also tell him to get over it.

Maybe Mike should've just gotten a hotel room. It would've saved his psyche a bit.

Nana and the good Reverend? Neat.

Also neat? Harry coming to Victoria's defense. Trust but verify those Tootsie Rolls, good sir, trust but verify.

I thought this was the season ender, but if it isn't I'm very primed.

Rhettwoods

Rhettwoods

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:20 AM

This was the best episode in a long time, in my opinion. Vince in that leather suit was hysterical, as were the exchanges between the people walking down the aisle.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:54 AM

What is it with Lorre comedies and guys spilling 'I love you' at the drop of a hat, when the ladies are clearly not ready for that step? Stop it!

Although I agree, it's better than having the women do it and the men freaking out. But yes, I think that's overused, and it's strictly a TV thing either way. I think in real life it's usually a much longer game of chicken.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

Well, but let's not forget, Christina is divorced -- it seems that she already was in love, built a life (including a child, probably a house, etc.) with someone, and then it all fell apart on her. Carl, on the other hand, doesn't seem to ever even have had a serious girlfriend before. So it stands to reason that he would be more eager to express his feelings and move forward, whereas Christina is more cautious, especially since she has the aforementioned child to think of, too.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

Vince in that leather suit was hysterical

Don't you mean 'Vince in his veal suit'? Hee!

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

The sweetest moment was the Molly/Victoria garter scene. I got teary. Lovely work ladies. The "Would you please wear a bra?" and the nodding made it art.

I love how they have developed Victoria from a one-note stoner, to a stoner with a heart of gold, if you will. Really nice work by her whenever she is given material. I hope we get to see more of her next season.

summitsw

summitsw

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I wish I could somehow un-notice Melissa McCarthy's hoarse voice, because it's really distracting.

I know, I wish they would at least make a token acknowledgement of it, and is it just me or is it getting worse?

I love how they have developed Victoria from a one-note stoner, to a stoner with a heart of gold, if you will. Really nice work by her whenever she is given material. I hope we get to see more of her next season.

ITA This whole scene was lovely, I got a bit misty too. I love how they show the sweet side of Victoria (like in the episode where Mike and Peggy are arguing over his father coming to the wedding and she makes Peggy feel better). Victoria having the presence of mind to make something so lovely, knowing how much Molly will miss her dad that day, was just beautifully done. I wish they'd let the sweet Victoria come out and play more often.

I did feel sorry for poor Mike though, nothing but drama for him from all sides and then he goes home to find Mom and Dad 'getting along', the closing shot of his face was pretty amusing.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who teared up at the garter scene. Victoria has come a long way since the stoner slut at the beginning of the series.

I did feel bad for Mike at the end, though. I think he will be traumatized forever after that. LOL

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

I do find it weird that Vince is walking her down the isle. IRL would that happen? I dunno if I'd let my mom's pervy fiance of a few months walk me down the isle. I'd almost rather go solo - or have another family member do it. But again, this is a sitcom and evidently Molly and Co. live in a bubble with no other friends or family beyond the 5 ancillary characters.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

As far as I know, it's perfectly acceptable for a woman to be walked down the aisle by whoever raised her, if her dad isn't around - be that another male relative, or even her mom, if that is who she wants and has in her life. These days, you can pretty much do whatever you like, adapting a wedding to your own personal wants and needs. So, yeah.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

I think there's some kind of a law that TV weddings have to plug the main characters into the wedding party by whatever means necessary. Otherwise Molly - who has lived in Chicago her whole life - wouldn't have Carl's girlfriend as her only bridesmaid.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I wish that shows could come up with some other plotline to use during a wedding episode other than the usual 'wedding is delayed because the bride/groom is late because of....' (car trouble, getting locked in somewhere, getting kidnapped, long-lost ex shows up, disaster towards wedding dress, tux, etc.--just pick one). Car trouble was so predictable. However, other than choosing one of those cliches, I liked the ending. They actually got married with no type of cliffhanger. I haven't checked, but I'm hoping that this show has been renewed. I'm looking forward to some married-life episodes next year. Loved how Victoria was handling Molly's hair crisis--what a hideous 'do!

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

I too am happy the wedding managed to come off with no cliff hanger. I loved when Mike was freaking at the church, talking about how he shouldn't have believed he was going to get to marry this wonderful girl and she turns up right behind him. *sniffle* I know it was kind of cliche but the actors sold it.

I had to cheer on Peggy for slumming it with her ex just so she could stick it to him. The guy abandoned her with a young son and then thinks he can just pick up where he left off? No way, no how! Peggy looked so happy when she got to dump him and I was actually happy for her (revenge can be really sweet). Also loved her dabbing her eyes during the ceremony. She loves her Mikey.

I wish they had dropped the stupid Carl/Christina thing. Carl wants to propose to a girl who hasn't said I love you...during his best man speech?! No...just...no. This wedding is NOT about you, Carl. It's about Mike finally getting the girl of his dreams...so sit down and shut up before we let Nana at you. Speaking of Nana, loved her singing, both the gospel music AND Aretha.