Music in Boardwalk Empire: From Sophie Tucker to Enrico Caruso

• Please log in to reply

125 replies to this topic

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Agent Sebso raps!

And according to the enhanced viewing guides on the Blu-ray, that's what got him the job. It was quite the surprise when Terrance Winter told him on the set that he'd actually written that one line.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Nice stuff to be heard in S3 ep 1: I caught a few faves of mine- Old King Tut (written during the Boy King craze following Carter's discovery), Dancing Honeymoon, At The Moving Picture Ball, & the great voice of Marion Harris capping off the premiere with There'll be Some Changes Made.

The usual superb musical choices ringing in BE's 1923 edition!

[CagneyKing39- I never did nail down what that music was in the S1 ep1 Darmody/Capone 1st meeting - not for lack of trying, though. Played the youtube of it many times, but the tune remained elusive.]

Edited by Boisvert 8, Sep 17, 2012 @ 9:18 AM.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

While attempting to watch the BE ep last night my husband & I finally came to the realization that the show is pretty much a lost cause now for us- "24/7 Gangster Nucky" (with a couple possibly interesting sub-plots hinted vaguely down the road) doesn't mean much to us- certainly not enough to make time for on our DVR watchlist.

We'll listen to the extraordinary music of that era & play same on the piano & violin without benefit of this show.
It was fun commenting here. BE had such potential to be truly great, but whoever makes the decisions for it is more than content to settle for a tired remake of Sopranos in the 20s.

Thorseyes

Thorseyes

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 6:35 AM

Thanks for the info on this song. This may sound ridiculous (or rehashed), but from the beginning of the series all I can hear in my head is Donovan's Season of the Witch. Is it borrowing from it, are they just similar, do I have a weird ear?

You do not have a weird ear. I, too, hear Season of the Witch. I've researched this, and it seems there are many more than just us that hear the same thing. Glad I found your post because this has been bugging me since the show premiered two years ago.

Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

Was happy to hear "Maggie" at the end of this week's episode. I remember singing it in high school choir; we'd joke around and sing "The creaking old mill is a still, Maggie" instead of "The creaking old mill is still, Maggie." We didn't know how appropriate that would be all these years later!

nana3love

nana3love

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

I couldn't really tell if I heard what I thought I heard--"Nobody's Darling"?  Could it be?  H was shuffling around papers the entire time and making much more noise than usual, but I could have sworn I heard this not once, but twice--once in the scene with Nucky and Eddie, where the eggs aren't cooked properly, and I forget the second time.  Of course you couldn't miss "You Gotta See Mama Every Night" at the end.  I thought "Nobody's Darling" was not only a cowboy/country song, which seems very out of character for Nucky or actually any character on this show, but it wasn't popular until later in the '20s.  Not sure though.