4-9: "The Beautiful Girls" 2010.09.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

685 replies to this topic

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:14 PM

Jane leaving for the weekend on Wednesday was almost as bad as Don coming back from a long lunch time spent shagging and immediately taking a nap. If I was the copywriter who worked through my lunch to have stuff ready for him I would be galled too.

Stan's constant ragging of Peggy has me thinking more and more that he is in fact in love with her.

And just in case it wasn't completely obvious, Downtown showed up in two consecutive scenes. First with Stan singing it, then in the bar with Drexler.

When Don emerged from his nap post-shag, Blankenship told him Faye had left him a message that "she got the message and you'll have to wait." What to make of that? What message? He'd have to wait for what?

Hilary Dickulous

Hilary Dickulous

Couch Potato

I shudder to think how Betty would have changed her voice & manner as soon as she and Sally got out of earshot of the witnesses. It wouldn't be pretty.

Laney123

Laney123

Loyal Viewer

Poor Ida! Couldn't stop laughing at Roger's comments to Joan - that he'd rather flatten a cab than die in the office, she died like she lived, surrounded by people who she answered the phone for. I figured Joan & Roger would end up back together, but didn't expect Joan to initiate it. Roger was certainly letting her know he was interested, but she kissed him. Wonder what will happen next.

Poor Sally! Could Don or Betty give her any indication that they WANT her? Betty was only nice because there was an audience. While Don couldn't condone her behavior, he could have been less annoyed and more concerned - you can't do these things because you could get hurt, etc, not I don't have time for this. I think Don and Faye's affair is over. Nothing like the reality of a family to end an affair.

I sort of like that Abe challenged Peggy to think about what is going on in the country and the world. Too bad he had to be a chauvinist.

meg67

meg67

Loyal Viewer

Ouch, Abe... I had hopes for you and Peggy. A little tone deaf...

Oasis

Oasis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

I loved how there was a Petula Clark song playing in the background of the bar scene, especially after Stan's joke.

Also loved how they closed with a blond, brunette, and redhead - the classic Three Graces of 'Beautiful Girls' for a long time.

larisaa

larisaa

Video Archivist

I so want to adopt Sally...she was fabulous tonight.

Her little daisy dress, I had one like that myself. Amazing that we were ever that young.

Skullcrusher

Skullcrusher

Loyal Viewer

Peggy - "Don't go anywhere!"
Sally - "I know!"

LMAO!

cycat

cycat

Couch Potato

Kiernan Shipka is terrific. Poor Sally knows the score better than any of the adults.

Oh, Joan. Oh, Roger. This can't end well.

Dr. Not-A-Child-Psychologist gets on my nerves, and I don't know why.

Vaya con dios, Blankenship. :( I shall miss your blurty incompetence.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:16 PM

I so want to adopt Sally

But her heart belongs to Daddy. From a hilarious episode, until the last 5 minutes, when it all went to hell.

Love her therapist! Let Sally walk from camp to her appointment? No wonder we haven't seen her since the first appt. She's a charlatan.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

With all the one liners she was getting I knew Ms. Blankenship was not long for this world. I also had a feeling as much as I liked the idea of Don and Faye it would be a temporary hook up at best. I really hope Joan doesn't end up pregnant and question who's baby it is. HATED the mugging and the alley!sex. MM shows so few African American's and they have to go there? And the comparison of Civil Rights verse Women's Rights couldn't be more like apples & oranges. Peggy continues her streak of loser men. I don't care if she is too young, I can totally see Sally Draper running off to Woodstock. I thought Sally's remark about no shells in the french toast was a dis at the way Betty makes them and of course Carla was the one who taught her how to make them.

emrie

emrie

Fanatic

Does anyone else think they're setting Megan up to be Mrs. Draper #2? I still haven't forgotten Dr. Faye's prediction that a man like Don would be remarried within a year, and they've started slowly drawing Megan into the story more and more. And it echoes the earlier motif of Allison, especially with all the men joking about how long Megan will last, but maybe this time it would work. It just seemed so pointed, how she was the one who could help Sally and mother her, and how pained she looked after Sally and Betty left. I'm not saying it would be a great marriage - certainly not a marriage of equals like Don had with Rachel or has with Faye - but I wonder if by the end of the season she might end up being what he thinks he needs. They just seem like they're going somewhere with her character.

Just throwing it out there...

vesperholly

vesperholly

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:17 PM

Loved Bert's line about Blankenship being an astronaut. Very touching.

Joan/Roger 'shipping FTW! So wrong but so right.

I loathe the stereotype that high-powered professional women aren't good with kids.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

I was born in the 70's so explain this to me: did people in the 60's not know that children were small humans? Everyone seems to treat Sally like a potted plant. Would someone please TALK TO HER?!

That was kind of hilarious. Everyone standing around like "What do we say?" instead of just asking her what's wrong. But at the same time, it seemed really normal for the time. It was just assumed that she wanted to play hooky or do something fun. Since everyone knows her living with Don would be out of the question she's supposed to see it that way too. Interesting the way Megan was so effected, though I hope it doesn't lead to any significant thing between Don and Megan at all unless it's Megan giving him some insight about Sally.

That said, what a hilarious episode! I'd have my secretary do it but she's dead? My mother made that? Is rum on French toast bad/no, it's pretty good!

And I can't help it, I love Joan and Roger as a couple, even if they're just friends. They just always seem to know each other so well.

I guess the theme here was that women don't get consulted about all those big decisions--Joan wasn't in on the plan to go to Vietnam, Peggy wasn't in on the story about her job and Sally doesn't get a say in where she lives. And Faye, who did get to choose her path feels like it's being judged as a failure (though I think she was wrong there, thankfully) for doing it.

I wonder if the boycott story will go anywhere.

SideShow Steve

SideShow Steve

Couch Potato

Oh, and the rum on the French toast! Does that girl know her father or what?

I remember sitting at a bar in Memphis a few years ago looking at all the different liquor bottles behind the counter and spotting a bottle like the one Sally held and joking " Hey, look! There's a bottle of Mrs. Butterworth's back there." I guess that brand of rum has been around a long time.

beedub

beedub

Couch Potato

And... we're back to ending on closing doors again. What can it all mean!!?! With repeated shots of crowds of women standing around, this one was all about the ladies (of all ages).

So the good ship Blanken has gone down for good. At least we don't have to see those X-Ray Spex anymore.

Holy Crap! Sally's pulling a Walt. She's just a couple of inches in height from a runway model. (But she'll have to do something about that temper.) How desperately she wants to get out of Betty's clutches and live with Prince Charming. Sally in Manhattan? She'd be running with the Sharks in no time flat!

Interesting how the concern for black civil rights was juxtaposed with the black mugger. Trying to say that Abe's concern for the rights of blacks in America is na´ve white guilt? Or just saying?

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

Civil rights for women? Yeah Drexler, what a dumb idea!

I liked that argument, because both were kind of right and kind of wrong. Peggy was right that women are second class citizens and denied that same privileges that black people are. But she was wrong when she said a black person could fight their way into a copy-write job like she did. Peggy was a secretary with some proximity to the going ons. Unless a black person is going to pitch copy in the elevator or at the lunch desk, they're completely shut out.

Drexler was an ass for belittling the struggle of women, but he was right that it isn't exactly the same thing black people are going through. Both are discriminated against, but when it comes to women it's a gentler "there, there, go into the kitchen and make babies" type of discrimination. Or to paraphrase one of my favorite lines from Mad Men: "You're a house cat. You're very important and you have little to do." Obviously the discrimination against black people is much harsher.

The actress who plays Sally is fantastic. She had some January Jones' mannerisms going on. Luckily, it doesn't seem like she's going to grow up to be Betty.

MightyMac63

MightyMac63

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

I so want to adopt Sally...she was fabulous tonight. My next Sunday hangover breakfast: French toast with rum.

I'll have to try that myself. French Toast with Rum. Yummy!

I thought the knock on Don's apartment would have been Bethany paying a visit to see him. Thank god it was just the pizza delivery man.

Edited by MightyMac63, Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:23 PM.

LateNight

LateNight

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:19 PM

I was born in the 70's so explain this to me: did people in the 60's not know that children were small humans? Everyone seems to treat Sally like a potted plant. Would someone please TALK TO HER?!

Nope, we were treated like the useless newts you see. Seen but not to be heard.

Your feelings hurt? - get over it. Depressed or anxious? - suck it up.
The average public school didn't have anything more than a guidance counselor - a glorified title for a middle aged teacher who thought that calming words & some quiet time would cure all.
School discipline was still corporal - smack the kid if they so much as give you a side eye.
Paddling was allowed in many districts through the 1980's.

No dissent allowed.

Edited by LateNight, Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:25 PM.

BoozeGood

BoozeGood

Couch Potato

What an excellent episode and I loved the way the conversation between Peggy and earnest white marxist guy whose name escapes me. Their conversation about which kind of oppression is "worse" was about the best example I've seen of that debate happen anywhere, real life forum or fictional. I loved that the message of that scene isn't that there's a hierarchy of oppression, but rather that oppression plays itself out in different way for different groups. The kinds of violence black southerners experienced is fundamentally different than the wholesale devaluation of women throughout every aspect of the economy and in popular culture, which makes neither experience any less valid or real. So often what screws up our culture is this sense that if I've experienced any oppression than I therefore can not be an oppressor. Peggy didn't really get that she had white privelige because of her experience as a woman. Whathisface didn't understand that male privelige exists because of his myopic focus on race. That conversation was an amazing microcosm of why progressive groups splintered in such spectacularly tragic fashion in the late 60s. Bravo Mad men. BRAVO.

Edited by BoozeGood, Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:20 PM.

bbob

bbob

Fanatic

Am I the only one who was a little bit disappointed that we didn't get to see any of Joan's massage?

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Seriously? In the 60s? No, children were not equal to adults; they did not seem to require the normal interactions that adults had with each other. (In fact, being in therapy at her young age was exceedingly rare.)

Nope, children did as they were told, or whatever they could get away with.

MuppetCoat

MuppetCoat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

The crossword puzzler in me actually said, out loud, in tandem with Mrs. Blankenship: "Emu." "No it doesn't." and then I cracked up. And then she died.

Not fair.

OK, so maybe it was a little anvilicious, but I thought that final shot was gorgeous. Joan one way, Faye the other and Peggy in the middle trying to have it all.

cantgetenough

cantgetenough

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

And just in case it wasn't completely obvious, Downtown showed up in two consecutive scenes. First with Stan singing it, then in the bar with Drexler.

Not Downtown in the bar scene, but I Know a Place but also by Petula Clark. It was a great way to tie things together though.

Edited by cantgetenough, Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:22 PM.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

Others' MMV, but it's a pretty accurate depiction of how I was treated as a child in the 60s.

Don and Betty are going to have their hands full in a few years.

And yes, it is becoming more obvious how KS is echoing JJ in mannerisms and appearance. But I can't see Sally growing into another Betty.

Pugposse

Pugposse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

[quote]And just in case it wasn't completely obvious, Downtown showed up in two consecutive scenes. First with Stan singing it, then in the bar with Drexler.
[quote]

In the bar, the song was "I Know a Place" which was also by Petula Clark and a sound-alike to "Downtown", but not the same song.

ETA: sorry cantgetenough, I was posting while you were responding to the same point!

Edited by Pugposse, Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:30 PM.

larisaa

larisaa

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

Drexler was an ass for belittling the struggle of women, but ...

It's apples and oranges comparing one group's struggles to another. Let's just say Drexler was an ass.

I loved that the message of that scene isn't that there's a hierarchy of oppression, but rather that oppression plays itself out in different way for different groups.

Agree, that's the message I got from the scene, too.

Edited by larisaa, Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:34 PM.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

• Interests:Movies, books, music, apple juice (which I drink the way the Gilmores drink coffee), Veronica Mars, The Wire, Big Love, Pushing Daisies.

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:25 PM

So, when Ken made a joke about Yvette Miemeux, was he referring to Dr. Faye or Meghan? Either way it was funny, although my favorite line of the ep was from the dear departed Mrs. Blankenship (yes, the "sadists and masochists" line), and I as much as I hate Stan, I had to chuckle at his reworking of "Downtown".

Poor Sally. I did like the fact she doesn't hate her brothers, but oh man. It's too bad she can't stay with Don.

It shows how much Don is trying to come back that he not only made things up with Faye, he also didn't blame her for the whole mess with Sally. He's still got a long way to go, but that, more than any journal writing, shows he's at least trying to do one thing in his life right.

Am I the only one who didn't like Roger and Joan getting together again? The whole mugging thing seemed like nothing more than a plot contrivance, and yes, I'm also worried about them having Joan get pregnant from this.

They really balanced the (unintentional) comedy well with the serious this week, though, not just with Sally's subplot but Peggy's. It seems realistic she'd feel resentful towards Abe about talking about something she gets little credit for, even though, as he points out, she's not getting shot for trying to change things (he was an asshole about it, but still).

Oh yeah, loved that shot at the end.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

by the way Stan, Yvette Mimieux is blonde...try Claudine Longet...

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

"I would ask my secretary to do it, but she's dead."

RIP Blankenship. Was it Harry who complained that his mother made the quilt that they wrapped Mrs B in?

Loved that Sally mistook the rum bottle for Mrs Butterworth - Don was packing the french toast away though. Has Sally met Megan before? She seemed to be much more comfortable with her than Faye.

I am not a Faye fan but will say, her unease with children actually made me like her more. And I liked what she said to Don at the end, that she chose her life as a professional, and she doesn't view it as a failure.

Stan is still such a dick. I find Abe to be condescending and creepy, and hated the way he just brushed off Peggy's concern that she may lose her job if he published his screed.

Laney123

Laney123

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:29 PM

Let Sally walk from camp to her appointment? No wonder we haven't seen her since the first appt. She's a charlatan.

I actually wondered if it was really the therapist's suggestion. I can see Betty having her walk to work off the "baby fat" just like her mother did to her. The way Blankenship commented about how chubby Sally looked in the pictures Don had of her made me feel they were implying that.