The Meet Market: Under the Boardwalk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

23 replies to this topic

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 8:58 AM

I have to say I haven't been excited about an HBO series in a long time, but I'm looking forward to this one. It doesn't hurt that Micheal K Williams aka Omar is also starring in this.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 11:45 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you celebrating today!

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 12:58 PM

Thanks, TWoP Howard. The same right back at you- a Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours. Now back to the kitchen to finish the pie baking- one pumpkin custard, one apple bourbon.

A virtual slice of each to all on the BE boards!
Hope everyone has a lovely holiday weekend spent with family & friends.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Nov 26, 2010 @ 11:36 AM

I hope everyone that was celebrating the day had a good one :-)

Now begins the march towards Christmas! We didn't get our tree yet, but we were decorating the house after dinner last night. I think we're just in the mood for some Christmas cheer this year. Our weirdest decoration is the Bumble from Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. My son gave it to me years ago, so we try and figure out a new place to have him sticking out, appearing as if he's menacing people into the holidays. Good times :-)

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 26, 2010 @ 3:20 PM

stillshimpy, having a Bumble is so much more fun than having a Rudolph (sorry Rudolph fans everywhere). We've got a nifty Grinch that leers at guests from around the den shutters each Christmas season, but can I say, I'm very envious of yr. Bumble.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless youíre a Just Tuned In, who wonít be able to use it until youíve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 2:23 AM

A Bumble! Thatís great. Now I want one.

We had a really good day, and played a game my niece brought home from college. It was sort of a writing-and-drawing version of the old game of Telephone, and it gave us a lot of silly mistakes to laugh at. It was more fun than Pictionary, I thought.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 11:42 AM

Thank you, the Bumble is fun, although I misplaced his crazy star at some point, he still has all of his teeth in this depiction. There's something funny about dusting the teeth of a favorite Christmas ornament before putting him out :-) Grinch! I love the Grinch too, Boisvert 8!

One thing I've always loved about decorating for Christmas is that, generally speaking, it's not about creating something elegant (at which I suck) it's this great hodgepodge of goofy stuff we've collected over the years. Through no actual effort to achieve this we have the "before and after" row of Santas that starts out with super-rotund Santa, ranging down through weight loss and style changes to a depiction of the tall, thin, dressed in blue and silver St. Nick. Amuses me to no end, for some reason. It's like we wanted to cover all style and weight range possibilities for a mythic jolly guy, just in case. Hate to end up on that "naughty" list ;-)

Howard, that sounds like a fun game, and good on you for not gathering 'round the Wii to duke it out over who does the after dinner dishes.

This is kind of fun, and it is definitely one of those "pointless stories of the internet" but our next door neighbor has a gorgeously landscaped Japanese garden. Honestly, you'll never feel like you have a blacker thumb than when you glimpse their backyard. They are the plant whisperers, which is no small feat for Colorado. It's really almost intimidatingly sophisticated to someone like me, who struggles to keep a mere geranium alive.

I walked out back last night, and the lights next door caught my eye, they've covered their perfectly coiffed shrubs in blinking lights. I love that the season allows us all to dial up the silly.

Pallas429

Pallas429

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2010 @ 9:56 AM

I walked out back last night, and the lights next door caught my eye, they've covered their perfectly coiffed shrubs in blinking lights.

Like Annabelle's hats on Annabelle's wigs?

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Nov 30, 2010 @ 10:22 AM

Like Annabelle's hats on Annabelle's wigs?

Hehe! Yes a bit like that :-) My neighbors are super nice people, and they have the patience of gardening saints with their garden, out there trimming away with such attention. They have these perfectly shaped shrubs, beautifully manicured lawn. It was really pretty delightful to see something that is so much work being treated as fun, too :-)

Another neighbor put up a little Ferris Wheel with Teddy Bears riding in it and there are a lot more instances of that kind of "Wheee! Let's have some fun with this!" It's nice to see, you know? I mean the season can drive almost anyone to the point of yodeling in frustration because there's so much pressure to get stuff done and what can really help? The sight of joy-riding Teddy Bears!

Edited by stillshimpy, Nov 30, 2010 @ 10:23 AM.

Princess Louie

Princess Louie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2010 @ 11:05 AM

I collect Santas. They make me happy. I'm trying to decide right now whether to bring to work my Santa who dances to "Jingle Bell Rock."

Meanwhile, put my tree up last night and cut my pinky finger - on the fleshy side. Ouch.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 12:30 PM

I don't live with my parents anymore, but we put up the (artificial) tree when I was at their house for Thanksgiving so I could participate. Aww...

The entire thing culminated with my two-year-old nephew running full-tilt at the tree and just taking it out. Sigh.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2010 @ 8:43 PM

Heh. I hope he figures out not to do that again, or it will be a long month in their household!

10 inches of very powdery snow fell between yesterday and today, so we look very much like winter here. I hate it when we donít have a white Christmas.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2010 @ 10:04 AM

The entire thing culminated with my two-year-old nephew running full-tilt at the tree and just taking it out. Sigh.

Aw! That must have been one of those "Oh...damn!" moments, Redtracer, which is kind of incongruous to the spirit of the occasion. I hope you guys got the tree put back together without too many problems. If it is any consolation your nephew will have that story haunt him from now until the end of time at most holiday gatherings. He'll be twenty-two and everyone will be having a group chuckle over the oft-repeated tale. "And then he just took a flyer at the Christmas tree! Like he thought it was a foe, and he needed to save us all!" Cue merriment as the Tree Slayer stands there, grinning and bearing it for what will seem like the zillionth time.

Welcome to the stuff of family legend, young nephew.

10 inches of very powdery snow fell between yesterday and today, so we look very much like winter here. I hate it when we donít have a white Christmas.

There's nothing quite like the freshly fallen snow, is there Howard? Time to make hot chocolate, possibly spiked, gather round and feel snug in a festive house.

Also, spending a lot of time looking for the scissors and scotch tape, if you're me. I wish that was a marketable skill because I can lose those things like nobody's business. Even when they are in the same room with me and I'm in the middle of wrapping, there are several moments of having to down tools and find the elusive buggers. Very festive ;-)

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 19, 2010 @ 7:40 PM

Happy Holidays To All!!

A close friend who also comments here at TWoP on a couple other threads sent me this delightful Christmas story by Damon Runyon (of Guys 'n Dolls fame). Since it takes place, for the most part, in a speakeasy during Prohibition, thought the BE crowd might enjoy it:

Dancing Dan's Christmas

Princess Louie

Princess Louie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2010 @ 10:31 PM

I finally did my Christmas cards tonight. And wrapped presents. And, like stillshimpy, spent a lot of time looking for the scissors and tape. Once I was sitting on the scissors and didn't realize that little pinching feeling was the DAMN SCISSORS. I only found them AFTER I'd gone downstairs to get another pair.

Looking forward to reading Dancing Dan's Christmas. I'm also reading Last Call by Daniel Okrent.

clack

clack

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2010 @ 11:26 PM

A close friend who also comments here at TWoP on a couple other threads sent me this delightful Christmas story by Damon Runyon (of Guys 'n Dolls fame). Since it takes place, for the most part, in a speakeasy during Prohibition, thought the BE crowd might enjoy it:

BE's own Arnold Rothstein shows up in a number of Runyon's short stories as "the Brain" (Runyon and Rothstein were friends) -- and of course, Rothstein is 'Nathan Detroit' in Guys and Dolls.

I have 13 nieces and nephews, ranging in age from six months to 20 years old. I'm up to my neck in chew toys, American Girl dolls, remote control helicopters, DVDs, etc. -- the wrapping of all of which I'll no doubt put off until Christmas Eve morning. Oh Lordy...

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 20, 2010 @ 10:18 AM

Princess Louie & clack-

In spite of all the last minute present buying/wrapping (losing the scissors? Procrasti-Santa? Yep, been there done that), here's hoping you both have the merriest of holidays!

Maybe a few hot Tom & Jerrys (Dancing Dan's signature drink) will help to make the season jollier- just make sure to mix them with that good prescription rye from the drugstore, not the rot gut on the shelf at Good Time Charley's speakeasy ;-)

Joyeux NoŽl!!

Princess Louie

Princess Louie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 1:01 PM

And same to you! My Christmas stay-cation begins tomorrow, and I am very happy about that! Mainly because once Christmas is over - and with 7 nieces and nephews PLUS 7 godchildren, it is a lot of fun - the first thing I want to do is de-holiday my house.

I was taught by my Memphis grandmother that it is bad luck for your Christmas decorations to still be out AFTER New Year's Day. Have any of you all heard that? None of my friends have, and I have lived in the South all my life.

So now I'm thinking it was her way of encouraging me to clean my house. :-)

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 11:02 AM

No doubt about it encouraging the house cleaning, Princess Louie, since my Ma pretty much taught us the same- all the holiday stuff including tree/outdoor lights was down on Jan. 2, period.

Well, I'm flying out today to visit a couple of my sibs (yeah, there really are 8 of us) who still live up in Oh Canada (St. Anne de Beauprť to be exact), so here's a parting Christmas gift from the Phantom of the Music Thread. Happy Holidays to all! See you in 2011!

At The Christmas Ball- Bessie Smith

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

Hey, Iím one of eight siblings, too! When I was growing up, we were considered a big family, but nowadays my brotherís family of four is considered large.

BE's own Arnold Rothstein shows up in a number of Runyon's short stories as "the Brain" (Runyon and Rothstein were friends) -- and of course, Rothstein is 'Nathan Detroit' in Guys and Dolls.

Oh, I had no idea! I love that show. Iíve read a few of Runyanís stories, but not the Christmas one, so Iím looking forward to that.

I hope that you all have fun getting ready for the big day, and a very peaceful and joyous Christmas or Big Day Off, whatever you celebrate.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 28, 2010 @ 8:51 AM

So, I fly back home last night out of the Quebec snowbanks to discover I've something in common with our Mod- trŤs cool. Our family used to take up a whole pew in church on Sundays, the largest table (or had to have tables put together) in any restaurant, brothers comprised the bulk of the HS hockey & swim teams, my sisters & I basically were the school jazz ensemble, etcetcetc, you know the drill, TWoP Howard. None of my sibs have more than 3 kids, btw.

Plan on re-watching the entirety of BE this week, as so many on these threads are doing.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

Yes, that does sound familiar, although we lived in a moderate-sized suburb, so we werenít the whole team. Now my dadís family, on the other hand, in the small farming town they lived in was.

We always sat in the front row at church so that we kids had something to look at. It also meant that no one would be able to turn around and stare if we misbehaved. They might be staring at us from back a few pews, but my parents didnít have to see that.

One of our prized memories was driving into Manhattan with ten of us packed into our station wagon. At every intersection we stopped at, we could see that the neighboring cars were trying to count how many of us there were in the car. We should have put a sign in the window, really.

Boisvert 8

Boisvert 8

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2011 @ 10:59 AM

Where I grew up sounds like your dad's type of area, TWoP Howard, it's still basically the dictionary definition of "the sticks" around there. We weren't even in the town- lived on a dairy farm near the outskirts.

Re: your family driving into Manhattan & being stared at- murmurs of "It's the Boisverts" were at times heard when we arrived somewhere. Never seemed to bother Ma & Dad, who both came from even larger families, if you can believe it. BTW, one set of grandparents & an uncle also lived with us, so it was indeed quite a crew.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2011 @ 9:18 AM

I know this isn't a very active thread, but I had to post about how BE helped me answer a bar trivia question last night. The question began "What contest began in Atlantic City in 1921" and before the host had finished the question, I had already written Miss America Pageant on our answer sheet. When others asked how I knew that so quickly, I said Boardwalk Empire and urged others to tune into this great show. I know they're filming now - can't wait for the next season!