The Event Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

93 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 10:38 PM

Spoilery!

Note: if you read this thread, please do not go to non-spoiler threads to post theories about what's going to happen. If your post is about spoilers, or if it requires spoilers to be understood, it should be in this thread. I mention that because this seems like it's going to be the kind of show with crazy important plot twists.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2010 @ 6:06 AM

I wish I could remember where I read it a couple of weeks ago; but "The Event" is supposedly about an alien invasion. I'm not sure why we needed another one given how V has mishandled the same premise. Supposedly the key things to look for within the widely played mish mash of a trailer are the mountain\winter scenes and the talk about a crash and survivors. Those intercut scenes with the airplane flying over the seaside house are unrelated and possibly comprise another sub-plot.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2010 @ 10:35 AM

It was probably in NYMag's Vulture article, or more precisely one tossed-off mention in a huge paragraph talking about alien invasion projects in general. I really...I don't know but I'm going to come out and say it is not an alien invasion and that spoiler is just speculation. Maybe it's aliens crashing on earth (which does not equal an invasion!). Maybe. But I don't...I dunno, I don't think it is from the vibe I got in the pilot.

I just...I guess I just really, really don't want it to be aliens. Originally, there wasn't a sci-fi element in the series, but NBC suggested Nick Wauters add it in, so why change a pilot into an alien invasion show when V is not that successful? I could understand it if V was a huge ratings hit, but...it's not. Plus, Jason Ritter has said that the show is [url="http://www.tv.com/on-the-phone-with-the-events-blair-underwood-and-jason-ritter/story/23934.html""]95% political intrigue and 5% sci-fi"[/url] so far, and IMO an alien invasion isn't a "hint" of sci-fi.

I feel like I'm going to look really, really stupid when at some point from now we find out the detainees are aliens. I'll take the hit.

Edited by dives, Sep 17, 2010 @ 10:36 AM.

RowingPains

RowingPains

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

I saw the pilot about a week ago and personally I hated it. There are no real answers in the first episode but I definitely didn't pick up on an alien invasion angle. I think there are aliens judging from the last five minutes of the pilot, but it's not V, they don't beam down in a spaceship or anything.

Ayumi69

Ayumi69

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 3:22 PM

I love this show! I like that they added the sci fi elements into the show. I thought it was all political. But I guess not. I heard aliens and time travel will be a big part of the show. That would be wicked cool.

Here is the promo to the next episode.

snookbay

snookbay

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 9:47 AM

THANK YOU Ayumi69. Glad to know I'm not the only one that liked the show; hoping it can be my new 24. I thought it was pretty cool myself.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

I hope the writers never kill off Ivanek. He has a cool voice. I like how he replies to Mr. President in the promo.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

Ausiello spoilers for episode 2:

Question: I just saw the premiere of The Event, and it was so good! Do you have any scoops? —Marie-Eve

Ausiello: I just watched next week’s episode and was completely satisfied with both the quality and quantity of the answers we got. In addition to learning what happened to the plane and its inhabitants, we find out what turned Scott Patterson into the pilot from hell and who exactly The Others (a.k.a. Laura Innes & Co.) are. Bonus scoops: A rather pivotal character from the premiere is murdered, and someone else is not who he/she claims to be.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

From the episode 3 clips on the website, at this point I would be shocked if Sterling wasn't behind the assassination attempt. Overly cocky, refuses to tell anyone anything, suggests "aggressive" interrogation methods for the detainees...though the real giveaway is that he's played by Zeljko Ivanek. I miss Ed Danvers.

persiaa

persiaa

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 12:29 AM

I can't remember where I read it, but the alien landing is not "the event." It sounds like 24, where the initial dilemma wasn't what Jack had to contend with to save the world.

Raider One

Raider One

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 4:04 PM

I got a sudden jolt from FLOTUS' 2 appearances where she is so concerned about the passengers on the plane, but she could really be concerned about the well-being of "the others" since the fates of both are tied. And that final gloomy look on her face, as POTUS was leaving, could mean she's more involved in this whole matter than we think.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 12:52 PM

The Event 1.08 "For the Good of Our Country" Synopsis

DESPERATE TIMES CALL FOR DESPERATE MEASURES - ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE HAL HOLBROOK ('INTO THE WILD') GUEST STARS -- President Martinez (Blair Underwood), furious about recent security failures, demands answers from Director of National Intelligence, Blake Sterling (Zeljko Ivanek). When he doesn't receive the progress that he desires, Martinez decides to personally interrogate Michael Buchanan (Scott Patterson) about his involvement in the assassination attempt. While Michael holds to his claim that he doesn't know who is involved, he inadvertently reveals incriminating evidence about someone deep inside the President's staff. Meanwhile, Dempsey (Guest Star Hal Holbrook) dispatches Vicky (Taylor Cole) on a new clandestine mission. And, elsewhere, Sean (Jason Ritter) and Leila (Sarah Roemer) scramble to stay ahead of the covert ops that are trying to silence them and what they know.

What is clandestine?

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 1:27 PM

It means secret.

I will bet fake internet money on the other leak being the Vice President.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2010 @ 3:13 PM

There are only two options. Blake or Vice President. Blake is too careless, so it has to be VP

Edited by BeenHere, Nov 10, 2010 @ 3:15 PM.

Arion24

Arion24

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 9:38 AM

Dammit this sounds boring.
I'm still waiting on a synopsis where we find out the Sofia and the Presidents Wife are having an affair, because they were married in ER.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2010 @ 7:38 PM

http://www.deadline....connie-britton/

Now this is what I would call an event: NBC's freshman drama The Event -- which was recently picked up for a full season despite eroding ratings -- is pursuing Emmy-nominated Friday Night Lights star Connie Britton for a major recurring role. According to sources, producers -- one of whom is Britton's longtime FNL director, Jeffrey Reiner -- put a feeler out to the actress to play a senator's wife. When her husband suddenly dies, the Harvard grad and former powerhouse attorney is given 90 days to prove herself worthy of his seat. And let there be no doubt that Britton is their first choice for the role; the casting breakdown lists the name of the character in question as "Senator Britton." Should she bite, this would be the MVP's first TV gig since wrapping up her five-season stint on FNL last July; the show's final episodes are currently airing on DirecTV.

Any particular thoughts? I don't watch FNL but I assume she'd be fine. I doubt it would happen, though, past Mr. Reiner knowing her I probably wouldn't expect her to do it unless it paid a lot. And on another note, why is the senator's wife of all people appointed? Is she beloved, did she run for office else where? If a senator dies, the governor appoints someone to fill in until another senator is elected, they don't need to...oh, forget it, I don't even care anymore, I'll just watch the bloody show until it's cancelled and move on with my life.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 9:27 AM

Never watched FNL but remember the actress in Spin City as Nikkie. Her joining TE does nothing for me. I would feel different if it were Penny Johnson Jerald.

And on another note, why is the senator's wife of all people appointed? Is she beloved, did she run for office else where? If a senator dies, the governor appoints someone to fill in until another senator is elected, they don't need to...

Congressman Sonny Bono's wife was elected to finish his term when he died. So it isn't unusual for the wife to be chosen if she is qualified.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 12:47 PM

Oh, ok. If she is actually qualified, that sounds fine. I was just worried it was some random plotpoint out of nowhere that doesn't quite make sense but is put in just to add drama.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 14, 2010 @ 5:18 PM

There's a long tradition of spouses taking over for politicians who die in office, primarily because in the past they were considered easily manipulable by the politician's staff and backers. This was much more common before women began being elected to office in their own right in large numbers. But it's not unheard of, even if the wife isn't qualified.

Edited by Cardie, Nov 14, 2010 @ 7:07 PM.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 10:32 AM

He is back and this time he means business episode 10 promo. How weak is he now Sophia? Is he doing this for Isobel or to get back at his mother? I hope he isn't wasting nuclear bombs on these two women. How do they plan on staying on Earth if they are causing war? What is the purpose of killing innocent people? It will destroy the country Isobel loves and wants to continue living in. This might actually turn out to be a fun episode compared to the last one.
Mr. VP is blackmailing Mr. President LOL
For the first time since the show started, I now want to know what The Event. The 1% behave too much like humans. What is the Event Simon wanted to warn Mr. President about?

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 27, 2010 @ 1:22 PM

Probably nobody will die and nothing will change. I would actually be really happy if something did change! Anything!

Is the VP serious? He has conspired to murder the president of the United States . What leverage does he have? He has NO LEVERAGE. This is how that convo goes:
VP: Pres Martinez knew about these detainees and wanted to release them even though they are DANGEROUS! And he totally covered it up when that plane vanished too! He is LYING to you!
PRES: The VP was involved in a plot to murder me. The plane that vanished that I covered up? It was supposed to blow up my house. On my son's birthday.
AMERICAN PUBLIC: On his birthday?? What a jerk. I support the President.

Edited by dives, Nov 27, 2010 @ 1:24 PM.

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2010 @ 12:12 PM

This is in this morning's USA Today, about tonight's episode and the future of the show:

http://www.usatoday....nterstitialskip

lovesduncan

lovesduncan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2010 @ 2:09 PM

http://www.usatoday....nterstitialskip

Thanks for the link to that article.

This is the line from that article that concerns me:
"The story of Sean and Leila (Sarah Roemer), who are searching for Leila's kidnapped sister, will move more to the forefront..."

Based on the comments in the episode threads, that is a sure way to kill this show.

Edited by lovesduncan, Nov 29, 2010 @ 2:10 PM.

merleebird

merleebird

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:I am married to the merleebird!

Posted Nov 29, 2010 @ 2:33 PM

Based on the comments in the episode threads, that is a sure way to kill this show.

I agree. To me, they seem like they are on an entirely different show altogether.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 29, 2010 @ 5:09 PM

My problem with Sean and Leila isn't their presence-- it's that they aren't integrated into the other stories at all, in any way, like merleebird said. Like others have said, so far their presence is actually useless. I don't mean that in an insulting way, I mean they're literally useless. If their moving to the forefront means that their actions will actually affect the rest of the show, then I wouldn't mind all that much. For Jason Ritter, at least. Sarah Roemer doesn't interest me much. As it is, the last time anyone in the government thought of Sean was in episode...what, episode 3 or 4 when Sterling told some government guys to go get Sean in Yuma, and then promptly forgot about him even though he's the Key to Everything? And Michael Buchanan hasn't done anything other than look pained, when he *has* been shown.

But if it just turns into Flashforward in the sense that all the interesting characters and actors are constantly pushed to the side just so the writers can spend HOURS AND HOURS on the boring problems of the leads, well...I hope that doesn't happen.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

"The story of Sean and Leila (Sarah Roemer), who are searching for Leila's kidnapped sister, will move more to the forefront..."

I thought it has always been there. Every episode has had plenty of Sean and girlfriend scenes. It can't be said about the other characters.

Lebanna

Lebanna

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 2, 2010 @ 7:23 PM

Good news everyone! The writers have a plan to reveal Sean's mysterious background.

The bad news - they're going to reveal it when the devil takes up ice-hockey (i.e. during Season 2).

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 1:30 AM

This is a little old, but Roger Bart (or, as I know him, Bree's crazy psychiatrist ex-husband) is joining the cast as Chief of Staff.

surfer

surfer

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 3:27 AM

From Ausiello

Question: I miss The Event! Got any scoop? —Carter
Ausiello: Jason Ritter’s Sean is going to find himself entangled in a very unlikely romance with [major spoiler alert] when NBC’s serialized thriller returns from its midseason break in late February. It’s all part of what exec producer Evan Katz calls a “radical transformation” of the Sean character. “By the end of the season he will be the opposite of the charmed innocent he was in the beginning.” What else you got Katz? “In Episode 15, someone goes bye-bye.” There we go. That’s the stuff.

So Sean and Leila break up? And Sean gets together with someone else? FBI lady? Vicky? Sophia? Plus someone possibly dying? I wonder if those two spoilers are related, i.e. Leila dies

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 2:42 PM

It's Simon :-X

Nah, it's probably Vicky, as the only other person of roughly similar age that he's interacted with. Maybe the death refers to Virginia Madsen's character, since her character's husband dies.