S8 - April Johnston: Back in Black

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

80 replies to this topic

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

I found this link for her own website where she blogs about each episode. I haven't read every blog yet but she does say she begrudgingly acknowledge Michael C.'s talent.

What do you guys think? Like her? I guess I like her and she is talented but I don't know, I'm still deciding on her personality.

click here

Edited by dirtybubble, Sep 13, 2010 @ 3:48 PM.

Leesaa

Leesaa

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 6:55 PM

I like her. I think she's talented. She always looks sad or grumpy to me though, she almost never smiles on the show.

Vian

Vian

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 2:04 AM

Reading her blog, I feel like Claudia Kishi went on Project Runway.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 2:30 PM

I just finished reading April's blog and call me old fashioned but I do not like her potty mouth. Cussing because you're expressing anger or hurt is one thing but to cuss just because you can kinda seems trailer park trashy to me. She sounds like a 14-year-old girl who just learned a bunch of new naughty words.

Edited by dirtybubble, Sep 14, 2010 @ 2:31 PM.

Mertvaya Ruka

Mertvaya Ruka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 2:35 PM

I like her too. She's a good narrator and I like her overall style even if I haven't been enthused about some of her pieces.

Saintz

Saintz

Couch Potato

• Interests:Horror Movies, Graphic Design, Vh1's trashtastic reality shows, Desperate Housewives, Project Runway, Nip/Tuck, ANTM. Also, English is not my first language so please grant me a little bit of your patience if I screw up in my posts, thanks!

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 11:34 PM

I really like April's aesthetic and personality. Most of her work needs some editing though but I have liked most of her entries so far (the only mistakes IMO were her garment during the first challenge and her "diaper" and even then, her looks had some interesting things going for them).

Also, she reminds me of Kaley Cuoco.

nelblu

nelblu

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 3:16 AM

she does say she begrudgingly acknowledge Michael C.'s talent.

She does? I must have missed that part. All she says is that she respects him a little more because he was "open to listening to Mondo." (You mean, even though Mondo acted like a rude ignorant dickwad to him, April? You might have noticed that Michael was a good listener sooner, since he obviously listened to what the challenges were and made two winning outfits based on that. If you were paying attention, that is) She doesn't say anything about his talent, and she still goes on about how superior she and some of the others are because they went to fashion school and, like, "know shit". Yeah, right. Why do all these moron designers this season think Project Runway is a sewing competition? April, I can't stand people who don't have technical language skills and mangle English, like saying "any who" for "anyhow". Please shut up.

Nothing about her writing in this blog makes want to know her. She sounds like an idiot and an asshole.

Edited by nelblu, Sep 16, 2010 @ 6:41 PM.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 1:23 PM

Well don't hold back nelblu tell us what you really think. Actually I was paraphrasing in my previous post.

One thing that does seriously bother me about April, and alot of the other designers, is how they use their fashion degree as the all to end all. Constantly throwing it in our or another designer's face is just wrong.

nelblu

nelblu

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 6:45 PM

Well don't hold back nelblu tell us what you really think.

That is what this board is for, isn't it?

One thing that does seriously bother me about April, and alot of the other designers, is how they use their fashion degree as the all to end all. Constantly throwing it in our or another designer's face is just wrong.

That's what really bugs me about about April's blog. I can't think of any other season of PR where so many designers acted like they were totally the s--t just because they went to fashion school, and had such disdain and lack of respect for someone with a different background.

Edited by nelblu, Sep 17, 2010 @ 2:10 AM.

Tenley

Tenley

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 4:40 PM

She's the all-black-wearing all-the-time bored-to-death girl who thinks she's the shit. And that's basically both her personality and her designing style. I don't think there's anything about any of it -- her personality or her design style -- that is new, original, creative, cutting edge or cute. And there's really nothing more to say.

Hagar7

Hagar7

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 3, 2010 @ 12:44 AM

I have to keep reminding myself that she's only 21, i.e., college senior, and that everyone is a jackass at that age. That said, if you asked, I'd say her work, although excellently executed, brings to mind a Forever 21 interpretation of Helmut Lang, with a "Twilight" spin. So while she's adequate for this season, this season is below par.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2010 @ 1:53 PM

I liked the blog. It was entertaining and informative. It's ok that her viewpoint is different. After all she was there and lived it. I don't have to agree with everything she says to enjoy the blog.

Although I did giggle a bit when she said that Gretchen talked a lot and was manipulative and a hypocrite.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

I have to keep reminding myself that she's only 21, i.e., college senior, and that everyone is a jackass at that age.

Ha! That is what I've been thinking and you said it much more succinctly than I was thinking. I think she's got a long way to go, but she has talent, even at this age.

Also, if she is friends with Peach, well, by god, she's got to be okay.

Edited by pennben, Oct 4, 2010 @ 12:07 AM.

sueinco

sueinco

Posted Oct 7, 2010 @ 8:52 PM

After tonight's episode I can't stand April. She's as catty as Poison Ivy and about just as talentless.

Edited by sueinco, Oct 7, 2010 @ 8:52 PM.

NeedISayMore

NeedISayMore

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2010 @ 9:36 PM

She was very vile tonight. And how many times has she done the negligee with shorts?

Leesaa

Leesaa

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 7, 2010 @ 9:53 PM

She does seem to have a thing for the little short shorts. She was rather bitchy tonight. She really needs to add some color to her work, the black is just too much at this point.

circlesquare

circlesquare

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 7, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

I was working at my computer and only half watching the critique on the runway. At one point I glanced up while April was talking and saw 4 frumpy ass looking women. I wondered why April had 4 looks and then I realized she modeled her 3 looks after her sloppy, 1 note ass. The thing is, sometimes I really like what she does, but it's always variations on the same exact thing.

There's something about her as a person that really bugs me. She just looks like a moron. I mean, her face literally looks as though her brain is always saying "duhhhhhhhhhh". She's such a squinty eyed, mouth breathing goon.

ChanelCupcake

ChanelCupcake

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2010 @ 1:04 AM

She is truly a miserable person. I also have absolutely hated all of her designs.

nelblu

nelblu

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 9, 2010 @ 12:46 AM

I have to keep reminding myself that she's only 21, i.e., college senior, and that everyone is a jackass at that age.

Except, I have known plenty of people who were not jackasses at that age. So her age is no excuse for her being a jealous, immature tw-t.

Edited by nelblu, Oct 9, 2010 @ 12:46 AM.

MarvinOne

MarvinOne

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 9, 2010 @ 9:47 AM

I don't want to comment on April's personality as it is television and we have no idea how they edit the show. But what continues to get me is her lack of design talent. She always wants to show "her point of view as a designer". Using the color black is not a point of view. And I have yet to like one single look that she's done. There is no structure, no real fit and as Nina likes to say, a lack of taste. Everything she does looks like a variation of lingerie and it's all bad.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2010 @ 12:03 PM

Ha! That is what I've been thinking and you said it much more succinctly than I was thinking. I think she's got a long way to go, but she has talent, even at this age.

When you look at how many 21 year olds AREN'T deluded, asshole mean girls, you see that April really doesn't have excuses. I'm only 2 years older than April, and most people have grown out of her attitude by college, and as a mature 20-something, I hate it when people like her use her age as an excuse for everything.

Also, think about this: wasn't Christian Siriano only 21 when he competed? He managed to make real clothes, not lingerie, have a point of view, and from what I remembered, he was so busy sewing multiple pieces and helping others he wasn't involved in this level of drama.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2010 @ 12:08 PM

Well I know this doesn't speak highly of me but when I was 21 I behaved just as poorly as she did AND I wasn't on a reality tv show with little sleep and stiff competition so while she isn't my favorite contestant she is far from my least favorite. I would be happy to see her in the final 3.

JediDVguy

JediDVguy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 1:38 AM

When you look at how many 21 year olds AREN'T deluded, asshole mean girls, you see that April really doesn't have excuses. I'm only 2 years older than April, and most people have grown out of her attitude by college, and as a mature 20-something, I hate it when people like her use her age as an excuse for everything.

Also, think about this: wasn't Christian Siriano only 21 when he competed? He managed to make real clothes, not lingerie, have a point of view, and from what I remembered, he was so busy sewing multiple pieces and helping others he wasn't involved in this level of drama.

Precisely. Also, Maya and Austin were 21 and 22 during their respective seasons, and they both managed to not be bitter, vulgar pieces of garbage. April is a walking cliché. So "dark" and "different" from everybody else... Yeah, right. I bet she spends her nights listening to "How Could This Happen To Me?" by Simple Plan while browsing the latest selections at HotTopic.com. At this point, I'm rooting for Gretchen over her.

Edited by JediDVguy, Oct 11, 2010 @ 1:43 AM.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:49 AM

I was fairly neutral on April until this latest episode. I liked her friendship with Peach, which showed a sweet side of her. Otherwise, she has been kind of bitchy, but didn't strike me as bitchier than many other PR designers. However, when she high-fived Ivy and congratulated her on her behavior, she took a nose-dive in my estimation.

I do think she shows a glimmer of talent, if she'd get out of that one-note black outfit thing she's had for most of the season. I was surprised to see her in a vivid teal-blue top in the workroom, since she seems to be almost allergic to color.

Edited by carmelized, Oct 11, 2010 @ 10:49 AM.

MyLisa

MyLisa

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

Just watched her "Under the Gunn" -- bitter, bitter, bitter, with a heavy side of entitlement. No doubt she has talent, but ultimately, PR is a show and she gave the judges nothing to suggest a final collection would be anything other than the same thing she put out week after week.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 12:41 PM

Just watched her "Under the Gunn" -- bitter, bitter, bitter, with a heavy side of entitlement. No doubt she has talent, but ultimately, PR is a show and she gave the judges nothing to suggest a final collection would be anything other than the same thing she put out week after week.

This doesn't surprise me one bit. She seemed bitter when she was eliminated but honestly she sent the exact same dress down the runway week after week! And didn't Tim tell her switch it up and maybe use a different color palette?

I was so sick of hearing her squak about being 21 and so young and such that I was glad she was gone. I know I defended her earlier but wow she was really starting to work my nerves last night.

Edited by dirtybubble, Oct 15, 2010 @ 12:43 PM.

TrueColors

TrueColors

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 1:41 PM

Just watched her "Under the Gunn" -- bitter, bitter, bitter, with a heavy side of entitlement.

Aaand, she also blames Michael C. -- that poor man has grounds to call Amnesty International for the torture ...

And agreed dirtybubble, she should have listened to Tim who told her to mix up her color palette a bit.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 2:00 PM

I just took a look at her fashion week collection and it's not dark at all. Oh, sure, there are some dark pieces here and there, but it's actually quite light overall.

Overall, she does at least have a specific, identifiable point of view. It's just that I don't know too many girls who wear the clothes that April likes to make. (Granted, I'm a geezer and I live in New Hampshire suburbia.) She's still designing for herself. If she can grow out of that, she'll probably do fine.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 2:42 PM

Aaand, she also blames Michael C. -- that poor man has grounds to call Amnesty International for the torture

What does Michael C have to do with the fact that she sent a witch maternity dress down the runway? Oh, I know-he probably went in and dyed all her beautiful pastels and brights, that horrid one-note black. STFU April-that dress was horrible and you should have been out.

Maybe Depends will give her a contract.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Oct 15, 2010 @ 2:43 PM.

skeeter22

skeeter22

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 3:20 PM

April doesn't blame Michael for her elimination, she expresses dismay at the judges for their praise of him. She is completely right about the kind of effort and skill it takes to make that dress Michael C. made. A beginner sewer could have made Michael's garment. April displayed consistent, thoughtful design throughout the competition. Her decoy collection is better than three of the four finalists, and she used very little black. She has a great deal more potential than either Michael or Gretchen and should have been in over both of them.