Lost Girl (Not the Alan Moore Kind)

• Please log in to reply

1308 replies to this topic

missquadros

missquadros

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:40 AM

If season 3 is anything like most of the second half of the second season, I'm out. The Ryan arc was simply the worst plot device I have ever seen in my entire life. Episodes 14, 15, 18 and 19 were amateur at best. I thought the last three episodes were good, particularly 21, but it was too little too late. They spent way too many time with filler episodes when they could have properly developed the main arc of the season. It felt rushed and disjointed.

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

The press release for season 3 is now out, but still no word on if it will be a short season or long one.

Prodigy Pictures, in association with Shaw Media, announces start of principle photography on the third season of Lost Girl. Production will take place in studio and on location in Toronto.

After becoming a supernatural success in its first season, Lost Girl returned to Showcase with a stellar sophomore season heating up winter as the channel's #1 ranking program.* Kicking it up a notch for season two, Lost Girl had its first-ever Pre-Show that aired before the phenomenal finale. Owning the #1 spot, the season two finale rated highest amongst all Specialty programming for the night winning all key demographics.**

Slated to premiere on Showcase this fall, season three promises more twists and turns for TV's favorite succubus, "Bo" (Anna Silk: Being Erica, Billable Hours). This season sees Bo make a romantic choice, but finds the road to commitment riddled with obstacles. Throughout the season, unexpected jeopardy stalks Bo and those she cares about. Though Bo battles many foes, her greatest enemy will prove to be the one that resides within her.

Returning for season three is Kris Holden-Ried (Ben Hur, The Tudors, Underworld 4) as "Dyson"; Ksenia Solo (Life Unexpected; Black Swan) as "Kenzi"; Zoie Palmer (The Guard, Instant Star, XIII) as "Lauren"; Rick Howland (Billable Hours, Murdoch Mysteries) as "Trick" and K.C. Collins (Owning Mahowny, Doomstown) as "Hale".

Joining the Lost Girl cast this season is (Rachel Skarsten: The Vow; Flashpoint; Birds of Prey) in a recurring role as "Tamsin", a thrill-seeking, sexy new Fae who ruffles many feathers. Emmanuelle Vaugier (Two and a Half Men, Covert Affairs, Human Target) will reprise her role as "The Morrigan", the leader of the Dark Fae.

"We're really looking forward to delivering another electrifying season," said Jay Firestone, Executive Producer. "Viewers will see a side of Bo that they haven't seen before."

Lost Girl was developed by Prodigy Pictures, in association with Shaw Media and Showcase. Executive Producers are Jay Firestone, Emily Andras, Plato Fountidakis, and Paul Rapovski. James Thorpe is Co-Executive Producer, Vanessa Piazza is Co-Producer and Wanda Chaffey is Producer.
Lost Girl is produced with the participation of the Canadian Media Fund created by the Government of Canada and the Canadian cable industry, and with the assistance of the Canadian Film or Video Production Tax Credit and the Ontario Film and Television Tax Credit Program.

PRESS RELEASE

The bolded part is the interesting thing. Is this going to be a commitment to both Dyson and Lauren or is she once again going to take a side? Considering the thing with Dyson never got off the ground, and the Laruen thing fizzled then flared then went wonkey at the end, choosing between the two is going to be a roller coaster. Especially since the writers seem to have made it clear that Dyson is suppose to be endgame. My only hope is that Lauren gets equal time this season, each season she's been pushed aside, pulled out all together etc while Dyson sits at Bo's side even in his emo stage. If they do go down the Dyson/Bo route, I hope Lauren gets a much better girlfriend this time.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

I feel like the person Bo is going to pick is going to be Lauren and then they'll spend the entire season tearing that relationship down and showing us why Dyson is so obviously the better choice. Now that he's got his love back we will probably get multiple episodes of his angsting over all of this with Kenzi being his cheerleader. I really do think Bo/Dyson is the intented endgame pairing here and the change in showrunners does nothing but make that voice louder in my head.

I would actually love to see Bo choose neither and get involved with some other girl. Someone with a bit more spark than Lauren, who is admittedly kind of dry(though I love her). I say girl because we were already subjected to Ryan in S2 so in the interest of fairness I'd like to see her with another girlfriend. Maybe this Tamsin chick.

Edited by Turkish, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:24 AM.

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:17 AM

I don't think Dyson is necessarily endgame, its just our cynical mind and tv's homophobic history that leads us to think this way. I would hope that the writers of the show are responding to the fans and dumping the dull Dybo stuff.

missquadros

missquadros

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:32 AM

I don't think Dyson is necessarily endgame, its just our cynical mind and tv's homophobic history that leads us to think this way.

I couldn't agree more. If it is Lauren, it is likely that relationship is not going to work, if only because there were never this many Doc-blocks for Bo. Bo and Dyson were also torn apart for reasons bigger than their own -- I believe Super/Dark Bo is going to be an ever bigger treat/annoyance than Dyson and his emo issues. And Super/Dark Bo is also the perfect excuse for them to revisit Bo/Dyson and bring him back to the triangle.

Besides, I don't believe there will be an endgame for this show. If anything, we will soon learn that Bo is not meant to be in a monogamous relationship (as she shouldn't) and the show will either end with her in a poly-amorous/open relationship/ending with Dyson and Lauren or single and ready to mingle.

Edited by missquadros, Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:33 AM.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:23 AM

So far as I care, Bo can dump Lauren and Dyson, then be completely chaste except for feeding. I'd be happier without the romance stuff. What I'm way more interested in from that press release is:

Though Bo battles many foes, her greatest enemy will prove to be the one that resides within her.

So, it's the rise of Eeeevil!Bo. Let the reckless feeding, bad acts, deception, and betrayals begin! Now that she's got a bad attitude, I wonder who she'll take as her first thrall/Renfield?

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Maybe they will get Dyson a personality when they "bring him back to the triangle" and wash too. I just fail to see the point of him in season 2, he contributed nothing but to made sad faces. I preferred Ryan to Dyson at least he wasn't constantly miserable about being miserable. Dyson is a self involved sulky child - shouldn't he be a little more mature considering he's hundreds of years old.

whitewhiskey

whitewhiskey

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I’m a new poster but have been following the conversation (all 65 pages!). Interesting that Dyson will have a new partner next season. I hope they do something better with Hale’s character. When we first met him, he was a player, boasting about dating Gemini twins and how he had whistled his way into so many women’s “pants” – a deeply stereotypical image of a Black man which, thankfully, they soon gave up (or at least played down). Then he became the “bachelor”, as officially described, the Black sidekick to the white hero Dyson, and loveable friend to Kenzi. He’s loyal but not very bright, always a bumbler – for instance, blurting out Trick’s secret identity as the Blood King to The Ash. His behaviour is often erratic: he gets so mad at Dyson for having sex with his sister that he publicly punches him in the face and vows never to fight by his side again. Yet when Dyson returns from encountering the Wolf Spirit, he whines that Dyson has left him alone for the second time, and then he blithely follows him into battle against the Garuda. Now that Val is back and presumably will appear next season (perhaps attempting to seduce Dyson once again?) will he forget his previous attempts to control his sister’s sexuality?

[snip] I want a smarter Hale that [I can] respect as well as love.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:18 PM.
Boards on boards

whitewhiskey

whitewhiskey

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

There’s another characterization that bothers me — that of the Garuda. One of the most interesting aspects of Lost Girl is the many mythological figures taken from folk traditions around the world. While some of these are just a weird “Fae of the week”, as many have observed, others play more major roles. Most of those — the Morrigan, the Norn, etc. — are taken from Celtic and Norse traditions, that is, European traditions, and are on the whole reasonably accurately represented.

However, the Garuda, a key character, is not presented as accurately. He is portrayed as a supremely evil character — the “closest thing (to the Devil)”, according to Trick. He’s cruel, devious and out to bring chaos and destruction to the Fae. But in fact, the Garuda is revered as a major hero figure across Asia, not evil but fearsome — a great warrior who leads the people to victory in battle. He is often represented as a giant eagle whose arch enemy is the Naga, the great snake (the writers at least got that part right).

The Garuda is a living symbol of pride for many Asians. It is the national symbol of both Thailand and Indonesia (where the national airline is fittingly named Garuda Indonesia). It is recognized as a hero in India and throughout Asia, wherever Hinduism and Buddhism have had major impacts. A fan from Thailand wrote to the official Lost Girl blog saying, “For me and all the people Indonesia..the Garuda is a symbol of our country that we respect greatly..The Garuda symbolizes the spirit of our struggle against colonialism.”

I felt that LG was letting that fan, and many like her, down. [snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:19 PM.
Boards on boards

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Just wanted to toss a quick point out, that next week's episode of Top Chef Canada has a challenge for the Cheftestants to make a meal for the cast and crew of Lost Girl. So lots of cameos and sound bites (and real bites) coming if you want a bit extra. Since TCC was filmed a while back, this challenge would have been sometime during Season 2.

whitewhiskey

whitewhiskey

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

So, my observation that “Hale is the leading Black character” in Lost Girl has been “snipped”. Was this an interpretation, an allegation, or a speculation on my part? No, it is a straightforward statement of fact. If I said “Bo is the leading woman character,” would that be snipped? Presumably not. Is there a reluctance to talk about racism here? Too controversial? I was ready to throw up my hands and leave. But my (Black) partner, an anti-racism activist of 40 years (as am I, though I am white), urged me to persevere. So, let’s talk more about race in LG.

Black characters in LG are numerous and prominent and on the whole are treated well. The first Ash, a major character until he was injured and replaced, was Black. The Blackthorn, the powerful emissary sent to oversee the installation of the new Ash, is also a Black man. Hale’s Santiago family is one of the three noble families—royalty—and his sister, and possibly his father, have recurring roles. Among the “Fae of the week” we have the beautiful African Lightning Bird and the Congolese “witch doctor” (an unfortunate label from the colonial past which I wish they had not used). Many of the minor characters and extras are Black: from Audrey the Dal waitress, to members of The Ash’s guard, one of Aife’s thralls, and a number of the Dal’s patrons. Daphne, the water nymph, and indeed Nadia are apparently bi-racial.

There are not quite as many other people (or Fae) of colour, but they’re definitely there. There are South Asians - the young murdered groundskeeper and his cousin, Kenzi’s old street friend, and the enticing Samir. The man whose ballet dancer husband was brought back from the dead was Asian. Furthermore, racially stereotypical pitfalls are avoided – the vicious Red Cap “street gang” members are very wisely portrayed as white working class Brits and not people of colour.

In LG, race is not an issue, just as sexuality is not an issue. No one bats an eye at Bo (or Lauren) being in love with another woman. No one finds it unusual that there are Black Fae, albeit mostly men, with power and authority. Even if the Black characters are in part created with an eye to an American audience, as so often happens in Canadian TV series, the general approach to race is to be commended and supported. But why then, when so much about people (Fae) of colour, and Black (Fae) people in particular, is so positive in LG is Hale's character so poorly and inconsistently developed and in a way that does not challenge stereotypes? Just as we do not live in a post homophobia world, we do not live in a post racism world. I think we need to recognize racism in media and talk about it. And to do so in a reasoned way is not disrespectful — nor should it be seen as controversial. It's doing the right thing as a fan.

Edited by whitewhiskey, Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:46 AM.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

I wish I was seeing the Canadian version of this show. According to Syfy the Lost Girl producers are cutting the episodes for time and content before they deliver them to Syfy. One scene in season 2 episode 3 that was cut was the one where Lauren gets Bo to stop threatening Ash 2, even though he's treating Lauren like a slave. In the original scene, Lauren strokes Bo's arm and tells her it'll be alright in a soft voice. What we got was a bit messy-I was wondering why Lauren merely saying "I need you to stay out of this for me," would be enough to calm Bo down when she was so upset (and sleep deprived!).

I don't understand the producers reasoning for cutting pivotal scenes that are not against the content standards of Syfy. Does anyone in Canada have an explanation?

Fancha

Fancha

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

I don't understand the producers reasoning for cutting pivotal scenes that are not against the content standards of Syfy. Does anyone in Canada have an explanation?

Clearly, Syfy demanded them to. They use voiceovers to censor language and cut part of a scene with "homosexual undertones" (content). The show airs uncut in Canada and every other country in the world.

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Yeah I don't by SyFy's reasoning that it's just for time contraints. The show ends pretty good in time on Showcase. This is exactly why I was worried about SyFy funding the show. As long as they stay away from cutting it on Canadian TV it should still be good.

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I don't get what there is to say about race in Lost Girl. I don't see where the discussion can go. Hale is a minor character and Nadia was a red shirt. I think its just not much of a concern for people. Did Nadia being non-white add or subtract anything from the plot? It's hardly blazing a new trail in such pattern unlike with sexuality in which the show is some what innovative.

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

Season 3 will be 13 eps again and air in January on SyFy. No word on if Canadians will have to wait or if we see it before the US. And it seems Bo will not be settling down soon.

PRESS RELEASE

Fancha

Fancha

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

Season 3 will premiere this fall on Showcase, actually.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

I am an American viewer. After getting hooked on the show on SYFY I've been finding out about the episodes that have already been shown in Canada so I'm ahead of the SYFY schedule. Thought you might like to know that the description for this week's ep Death didn't Become Him is "An old friend of Trick's asks for his help when HER!!![emphasis mine] recently deceased husband's body is stolen." HER husband. Seriously. I can't decide whether this is homophobia or just stupidity. Did whoever have the job of transcribing the blurb for Optimum just read too quickly while typing or did they assume that if they saw husband the word "his" had to be wrong?

I agree with a lot of people that the cool thing about the show's POV reg bisexuality and homosexuality is that it isn't making it a big deal. It is just there without being a "special" episode. I was watching I Spy DVDs (1960's spy drama where Robert Culp and Bill Cosby starred) recently and in the commentaries Culp said that they made the decision that the way to make a statement (this was the first American show showing a black and white lead together) was to not make a statement. Nobody really talks about Scotty's skin color or acts like there is anything special about his being there. Worked then. Works now.

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Jun 11, 2012 @ 1:05 AM.

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Well here is another arugument about the GLBT portrayal of the show. It also delves into True Blood as well, but as for the LG part, I have to agree, they really need to step up Laurens role on this show and make her an equal in this relationship.
LG ARTICLE

As well LG will be going to San Diego Comic Con on July 14! Sadly Zoie won't be there. Just the three mains.
COMIC CON

missquadros

missquadros

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

Well, Zoie is one of the "mains" so she should be there. Sadly, she is shooting SAK on weekends. Hopefully she'll make some time to be at FanExpo because that's when they'll promote season 3.

As for the argument posted above, I happen to disagree. It used to be one of my biggest pet peeves until about mid-season 2. I think some of season 2, particularly the final episodes finally balanced the triangle. We are left with a single Lauren, willing to sacrifice her freedom for Bo (and perhaps willing to commit to her) and Bo completely in love with her. Yes, Dyson got his love back, but he was nothing but an after thought to her throughout most of the season. Bo never made any sacrifices for him, she did for Lauren. Bo never bothered to figure out a way to reverse the Norn's curse - that was Kenzi. I think the whole "Wolves mate for life" is Dyson's own predicament, not Bo's. He may have "chosen" her, but I have no doubt Bo is going to choose Lauren next season - it is arguable she already did.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

As for the argument posted above, I happen to disagree. It used to be one of my biggest pet peeves until about mid-season 2. I think some of season 2, particularly the final episodes finally balanced the triangle. We are left with a single Lauren, willing to sacrifice her freedom for Bo (and perhaps willing to commit to her) and Bo completely in love with her. Yes, Dyson got his love back, but he was nothing but an after thought to her throughout most of the season. Bo never made any sacrifices for him, she did for Lauren. Bo never bothered to figure out a way to reverse the Norn's curse - that was Kenzi. I think the whole "Wolves mate for life" is Dyson's own predicament, not Bo's. He may have "chosen" her, but I have no doubt Bo is going to choose Lauren next season - it is arguable she already did.

I thought the article had a couple of good points but as you say Dyson was pretty much an afterthought to Bo for much of S2. I'd definitely say she chose Lauren at the end.

It sucks that ZP won't be at Comic-Con. I imagine the American fans will take that to mean she's not a main character even though she most certainly is. I'm still unsure of just how big the fanbase is over here. Then again, everybody goes to Comic-Con not just Americans.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

I do think Bo chose Lauren at the end of S2, but I expect the pendulum to swing back toward Dyson in S3, now that he has his "love" back. They're never going to have Bo choose one or the other for real. That said, ITA that they've made the Bo/Lauren side far more compelling, and far more of an emotional connection, than they've made Bo/Dyson.

It sucks that ZP won't be at Comic-Con. I imagine the American fans will take that to mean she's not a main character even though she most certainly is.

As much as Lauren is/should be a main character, I can't help but feel like some of the writers/showrunners still didn't QUITE consider her a main character in S2. I hope that's totally remedied in S3.

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

I think its been said that ZP is filming Sex After Children and that's why she isn't at Comic-Con.

missquadros

missquadros

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Showcase Fall Schedule is out: No Lost Girl.

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

Damn looks like Showcase has indeed caved to SyFy and moved the third season to January at least. This sucks, we should be seeing this series first, it's produced in Canada, was meant for a Canadian audience. Why are they letting SyFy mess with it so much.

Showcase confirms LG for Winter 2013.

Edited by rtms, Jul 15, 2012 @ 11:03 AM.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Simple formula: they want the money. SyFy makes what is a fairly reasonable demand: don't shaft us on first run airings. And Shaw says "ok". And it's a legitimate concern. As soon as an episode airs anywhere, it's available to everyone. So as far as the scheduling deal goes, I don't really have a problem with it. Now, if Shaw cut a deal that let SyFy air the show first, that would annoy me. It's been the situation with Murdoch Mysteries for years, thanks to CityTv's neglect.

J98

J98

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 16, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

I know the LG premiere delay is upsetting. I wasn't too thrilled with the news either. I think Canadian viewers have been loyal and supportive of the show and it sucks that they have to wait for SyFy to see their homegrown show. But I guess that's part of the biz. At least there is a season 3 so that's something.

I'm feeling very positive today about Bo & Lauren. I don't know why but I'm feeling they may actually have a chance at being a legitimate couple for the remainder of the series. I think they will. So I'll spread my positivity all over the interweb. God bless doccubus! I love those two.

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

I'm feeling very positive today about Bo & Lauren. I don't know why but I'm feeling they may actually have a chance at being a legitimate couple for the remainder of the series. I think they will. So I'll spread my positivity all over the interweb. God bless doccubus! I love those two.

In some ways so am I, and I think season 3 will be the beaking point for either relationship. I think we will know for sure whether Bo goes with Dyson or Lauren this season once and for all. I just can't see them drawing this out unless it's made very clear that Bo will love both of them equally and fairly and no arguments thank you. I could go along with either of those decisions, even if she picked Dyson for good. Just make a decision.

nopqrs2011

nopqrs2011

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

Just discovered this series on streaming video -- I really like it despite the fact that I find the lead female (and her annoying sidekick) very very lightweight in the acting department, almost Nickelodeon-high-school-sitcom-ish. I've read some comments about finding the Dyson character boring but he seems a pretty strong actor to me, I think it's just that the two females' cartoonish style probably makes him seem staid in comparison.

Plus, Kenzi is awesome/becomes awesome. I also happen to think that Ksenia Solo is definitely among the better actors of the bunch.

Uh sorry, no.

A truly strong actor would be able to take what is (of course it's obviously the writer who wrote it that way) an annoyingly snarky/cutesy grating character and make the viewers totally love being annoyed. Examples of actors pulling this off are Megan Mulally's portrayal of "Karen" on Will and Grace and, more currently, Rick Hoffman's absolutely brilliant "Louis" in Suits.

Sorry to nitpick it's just that my gold standard for supernatural series is True Blood where some really outlandish storylines are made almost realistic with strong acting. The two lead girls aren't pulling their weight acting-wise for me but that being said I like the storyline and I do enjoying watching the show.

I have a question though, maybe I missed an episode or something but I don't understand how the character of Bo so quickly became the go-to warrior in the series? I mean in episode 1 she didn't even know what she was or understand her powers and yet halfway through season one she is THE warrior of choice.
I don't watch supernatural series for realism but hey even Buffy was trained to fight, and her training was a very strong part of her character development. Maybe I missed an episode? I also don't understand why they emphasize so much running after bad guys, especially those that hurt the poor defenseless humans, but gloss over the fact that the lead character killed innumerable humans in the past. I hope there is someone who can shed some light on this I would appreciate any enlightenment, it would help me enjoy the show even more.
Just the same I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Edited by nopqrs2011, Sep 2, 2012 @ 8:52 AM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

I've read some comments about finding the Dyson character boring but he seems a pretty strong actor to me, I think it's just that the two females' cartoonish style probably makes him seem staid in comparison.

Actually, I think most people would agree that KHR is one of the series' better actors. But even on a show that generally has bad writing, imo the writing for Dyson is especially terrible (more notably in S2 than S1), so I just can't get behind the character. KHR does what he can, but Dyson is just a total snooze for me. It doesn't help that to my eyes, he and Anna Silk just don't have chemistry.

I do think Ksenia Solo was a little OTT at the beginning of S1, but by the halfway/two-thirds mark of the first season really settled in and became one of the show's consistent bright spots. Can't say the same for Anna Silk, unfortunately.

I also don't understand why they emphasize so much running after bad guys, especially those that hurt the poor defenseless humans, but gloss over the fact that the lead character killed innumerable humans in the past.

Yeah...unfortunately this is mostly glossed over, though every once in a while Bo has a guilt trip about it. If the writing/Anna Silk's acting were more nuanced, they could probably subtly show that Bo's obsession with fighting bad guys is her way for making up for the bad things she did (think Angel here), but, alas, that "if" will never come. It's too bad; had TPTB allowed the show to be darker, as it was originally intended to be, I think Bo's guilt/redemption could have been a nice underlying plot thread, the way similar storylines lent a sense of cohesion to Xena or Angel.

I also think Bo mastered her powers way too easily/quickly, though; Bo's angst over not being able to touch humans (ahemLauren) during the first season was one of the more interesting running storylines, so I was sad when it ended.