Lost Girl (Not the Alan Moore Kind)

• Please log in to reply

1308 replies to this topic

Daliden

Daliden

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 8:16 AM

I think it is refreshing that she actually *is* alien (or Fae) in that way.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 4:41 PM

Agreed. I have all the conflicted/misunderstood vampires I can handle! 'Bad as I wanna be' is fine by me. I hope Showcase puts tonight's episode online quickly because The Amazing Race looks like it's going to interfere with my 9pm timeslot.

Magwitch

Magwitch

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 2:07 AM

the curvy sun rays above the possibly elven characters that run in a long strip down his back.

That's Kris Holden-Ried's own tattoo. You can see it on this cap of him from the movie Touch of Pink. I assume the other tattoo on his arm is a tribal thing, probably signalling his allegiance to some fae royalty or simply his siding with the Light.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 8:47 AM

Nice episode. Nice use of genre knowledge for misdirection... I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking of the Buffy Fraternity episode (where the Fraternity was knowingly sacrificing people for power.) Not the case here, and the episode was stronger for it. I honestly didn't think that John Kapelos was the bad guy all by himself. Ah, Schanke, how far you've fallen... :-P

I continue to be amazed with just how sexy Anna Silk is. Also, her wonder at waking up next to a living guy was kinda heartbreaking. Not to mention her disappointment at the end...

I really, really liked Kenzie this week. She rocked, imho.

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:42 AM

Nice use of genre knowledge for misdirection... I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking of the Buffy Fraternity episode (where the Fraternity was knowingly sacrificing people for power.)

Yep, that's true. Just before the 'basement scene' (lol) I was rolling my eyes and going, but I've seen this Buffy episode, and then, boom. Surprise party!

I did like it, but at the end of the episode my face was like so :(

Stupid Prick, I mean, Trick. I'm going to sulk now. "We've seen others join the Dark Fae as revenge?" The hell? How about, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned?" Ever heard of that one? I suppose we need to find out more about Bo etc to get a reason for that brilliant idea. Still, I'm pouting a lot.

Wonder of wonders, Kenzie was actually bearable for me this episode. And though the P.I. thing was predictable, there was not much else she could do which uses her connections (now I want to see a tv advert for their business in which Bo says 'Our rats are reasonable', lol).

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 11:33 AM

I've decided Dyson has the sexiest voice ever. Throw in the low-riding jeans...

I'll be in my bunk.

Though, in the interest of realism, he really should have rescued her naked. Who stops to put on pants at a time like that?? Also, nice of him to use that waitress to put Bo off and just leave her sitting in that room. And I agree, Arjumand, breaking her heart like that might not be the best way to make her choose the Light. He couldn't have told her there wasn't more without making her walk in on him and someone else?

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 2:05 PM

Generally good episode, except for the forced plot twist. I suppose TVTropes has a specific name for the situation in which the plot is obviously being kick-started in a certain direction by some hastily taped together reason on the part of the writers, but I don't know what it's called. Anyone know? I've seen it done on many many shows and it always cheapens the storyline. Trick's entire speech to Dyson about how he had to end it with Bo certainly felt like that to me.

I agree, Arjumand and Munchiewoman, that breaking up would be just as likely to send Bo to the Dark Fae as whatever else they are cooking up, and if Bo is happy with Dyson, that should make her more liable to want to hang with his side...unless this 'betrayal' Trick mentioned is something really heinous, but I'm skeptical about that. I think that scene was trumped up to create some kind of conflict because the stars got it on so early in the story. I'll be happy to be proved wrong if it turns out that Bo is part of some elaborate political plan that somehow hinges on her NOT being with Dyson, but otherwise it's just too nonsensically contrived to keep them apart and distance Bo from Dyson, which defies logic if Trick wants to use her to his advantage. "What happens when she finds out you've betrayed her (in some obscure as yet undisclosed way)?" should not be the reason for the betrayal of trust in the first place (Dyson arranging for Bo to see him with someone else).

I feel sorry for both of them, since they really do seem to be a perfect match for each other--though it's especially tough on Bo since she's found someone she can actually allow her emotions free rein with, seemingly with no negative effect. It might even be her first viable romance--and we all know how hard that very first breakup in your lovelife can be.

Still not liking Kenzie, but she's less annoying with each episode.

Dyson's shirt choices remain excellent, including the multiple choices of no shirt at all.

BeatrixKiddoe

BeatrixKiddoe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 3:36 PM

I'm really enjoying this show so far. It's definitely cheesy, but in a fun way.

I also thought I'd share a few photos from FanExpo, Kris Holden-Reid and Anna Silk there this year to promote the show and I'm happy to say that they were both really nice. Here's Anna Silk doing an interview (I love that she's pretty much dressed like Bo) and I thought this one was adorable with Kris Holden-Reid in the background taking a photo of his cardboard cut-out.

Dyson's shirt choices remain excellent, including the multiple choices of no shirt at all.

Kris Holden-Reid was wearing a great shirt at FanExpo as well. He also thoughtfully neglected to button it all the way to the top.

Edited by BeatrixKiddoe, Sep 27, 2010 @ 3:40 PM.

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 3:38 PM

Though, in the interest of realism, he really should have rescued her naked. Who stops to put on pants at a time like that?

That was not logical (Captain)! Unf. Though I still was able to appreciate the hipbones, oh yes.

I suppose TVTropes has a specific name for the situation in which the plot is obviously being kick-started in a certain direction by some hastily taped together reason on the part of the writers, but I don't know what it's called.

I've looked on TVTropes (just managing to escape before I was drawn in), but I actually know this situation as It's In The Script!, and I read about it on Jabootu.com, where they go after bad movies. And yes, this was an example of it: why does Dyson break up with Bo? It's in the script!

"What happens when she finds out you've betrayed her (in some obscure as yet undisclosed way)?" should not be the reason for the betrayal of trust in the first place (Dyson arranging for Bo to see him with someone else).

Yes, it seems to me like a self-fulfilling prophecy, and the use of a trope which I loathe: never share information, guys! Keep secrets from each other, cos if you don't, THINGS WILL HAPPEN! (Oh no! Not THINGS! /MST3K).

So, Lesobonaut and Munchiewoman, we're all in agreement: less contrived break-ups, more sexy naked times with Bo 'n Dyson. Ha, they should hire us to write their scripts, though Kris Holden-Reid might get annoyed that he never gets to wear clothes anymore (It's artistic, darling!).

Edited by Arjumand, Sep 27, 2010 @ 3:39 PM.

uglyshoes

uglyshoes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 5:58 PM

by Arjumand
Stupid Prick, I mean, Trick. I'm going to sulk now. "We've seen others join the Dark Fae as revenge?" The hell? How about, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned?" Ever heard of that one? I suppose we need to find out more about Bo etc to get a reason for that brilliant idea. Still, I'm pouting a lot.

Yeah, they really need to show more of the Fae world now because the hints about hidden agendas are (seemingly) coming out of nowhere. From the ET Behind the scenes video there is a clip where Dr. Lauren says something like "Bo, it's dangerous. I have no inlfuence with the Dark Faes." So maybe Bo will visit the Dark side for a while.
I did like Bo's reaction to finding Dyson snogging the waitress. It could have been high drama but she was real mature about it. Her calm line "I think you know we weren't (clear about it)" was more effective than some crying and wailing. [Clearly, I have been watching too many teenage dramas. :) ]

Has anyone seen the promo for next week? Do we know what will happen next week?
ETA: Never mind, just found this. When a Fury with an unfaithful spouse tries to hire Bo to kill her husband's mistress, Bo instead takes the side of the unsuspecting human woman and puts her under protection.

Edited by uglyshoes, Sep 27, 2010 @ 6:12 PM.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 6:40 PM

the hints about hidden agendas are (seemingly) coming out of nowhere.

I don't think so. From the very first episode -- and perhaps even their very first scene together -- Trick and Dyson were talking in hushed, cryptic tones about Very Important, Secret and Mysterious BoMatters. IMO, it would have been surprising had Trick NOT had Words Of Warning for Dyson.

This ep (1x03) was good but needed some Dr Lauren. I was surprised to learn that Silk, Solo, and Holden-Ried are the only three regulars. On the one hand, I frequently complain about cast-bloat in U.S. teevee shows, so gO Canada! OTOH, Dr Lady is not a regular, so boo.

Edited by DEM, Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:47 AM.

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

From the very first episode -- and perhaps even their very first scene together -- Trick and Dyson were talking in hushed, cryptic tones about Very Important, Secret and Mysterious BoMatters.

Yes, DEM, that's true, but the implication has changed. Earlier they were talking as if Bo was potentially the fulfillment of some prediction, and how it was "fate". Now Trick pretty much comes out and says that Dyson is "betraying" Bo in some unspecified way. Which is quite different. It could be a question of lying by omission, since neither Dyson nor Trick are clueing Bo in that she's some Important Person Foretold, but Trick's conversation with Dyson in this most recent episode sounds more like they are actively plotting something.

'Bad as I wanna be' is fine by me.

I've been thinking about this, Irishmaple. Maybe it's because I enjoy the conundrums of conflicted vampires, but I'm having a bit of a problem with Bo's attitude. She's "chosen" humans over any fae group, and saved Kenzie in the first episode and Gina in this one. Yet she went after the guy in the hardware store as if he was nothing more than (as Spike said on Buffy) a Happy Meal with legs. I don't see why she wouldn't feel at least a bit of a personal conflict over the fact that humans are both hers to protect and hers to kill and eat. I think I'd like to see a bit more soul-searching, or at least thoughtful consideration of her actions, or hear her give a decent explanation for how she can be so caring and so blase at the same time.

ETA: It wasn't at all clear to me how much leeway Dyson had to go against Trick's opinion--whether he really could have continued seeing Bo anyway but was in the end persuaded by Trick's argument, or if it was tantamount to an order by Trick that Dyson had to carry through on, even though it was framed as part of a discussion rather than as a command.

And it occurs to me now that maybe that had something to do with why Dyson was consulting the old books...

Edited by Lesbonaut, Sep 27, 2010 @ 8:32 PM.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

I think I'd like to see a bit more soul-searching, or at least thoughtful consideration of her actions, or hear her give a decent explanation for how she can be so caring and so blase at the same time.

Now, yes, this I can agree with. It's been bugging me since the first episode. On the one hand, when I think about certain bits of dialogue, I do feel -- for a moment -- that this issue is being explored. On the other hand, I dunno, in general it still feels off, somehow. I think they're trying to say that Bo's urges are uncontrollable and (later?) Bo feels bad about The Rapin' & The Killin' and wants to Do Better, but I don't feel that conflict -- at least not very deeply. Every time I hear Bo say "I choose humans!" I cringe. Why not something much more fitting like "I choose neither!"

I have a similar problem with Kenzi: Yes, she's a petty thief, but that's a very different thing from being a violent criminal, so I don't quite understand why she's as comfortable as she is with Bo, Mistress of Sexual Assault and Manslaughter. Kenzi is the very antithesis of wary when it comes to Bo! Why so extreme? How about some nuance?

Does the writing need to be stronger? The acting? I don't know, but the fact that this problem applies both to Bo and Kenzi suggests (to me) a fundamental flaw in the writing. Make no mistake: I'm in no mood for Eternally Mopey Non-Humans ("I like dark"), but a bit of clarity would not be unwelcome!

Edited by DEM, Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:46 AM.

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

I don't quite understand why she's as comfortable as she is with Bo, Mistress of Sexual Assault and Manslaughter.

I don't understand why she seems so immune to Bo's powers of seduction, either, since she's presumably as susceptible as any other human. I guess I can attribute it to her being a flaky nincompoop...but then she'll do something unexpectedly smart.

It's not like I expect or even want these characters to over-think their motivations and be all intellectual, but some degree of self-knowledge and insight on the part of Bo and Kenzie would elevate the show from clunky ham-fisted fantasy to meaningful entertainment. So far Dyson is the only one (and Lauren, a little bit) who has been shown to have any real depth of character.

Vick9397

Vick9397

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 11:55 PM

Coming out of my lurking closet to join the conversation here.

I'm absolutely loving this show so far, originally I was watching it just for Kris, and boy, they did not disappoint!

As for the latest episode, loved it. Watching episode two I admit I got abit bored and my mind started to wander off - not sure if it was the writing and filling in of necessary backstory, or the annoying Wisp dude. And Kenzi is definitely improving in my eyes, the whole college experience definitely held my interest, although her childish attitude does sometimes get quite irritating. Anyone know how old she is meant to be?

Also, as an aside, Kris did a movie with Zoie Palmer (the light doctor) which is currently doing the circuits around Canada's film fests. The name of the film is The Untitled Work of Paul Shepard - more info here: info here Also a free screening with some of the cast on 2nd oct if your interested.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 1:20 AM

Has Bo even tried using persuasion on Kenzie? I don't remember seeing that. Persuasion is deliberate and has its own sparkly special effect, after all.

I'm fairly convinced that Anna Silk could have sexual chemistry with a stone statue though. Let's see now... hot with the lady doctor? Check. Hot with Dyson? Check. Hot with the Dean? Check. And if we go back a ways... hot with Erin Karpluk? Hell yeah...

I think the whole "end it now" was to avoid it hurting even more down the line. Yes, a good possibility of it backfiring... but if Bo does find out about the secrets those two are hiding, a romantic relationship with Dyson would make it a hundred times worse.

Finally, just a shout-out to Munchiewoman... good to "see" ya!

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 1:55 AM

I don't understand why she seems so immune to Bo's powers of seduction, either, since she's presumably as susceptible as any other human. I guess I can attribute it to her being a flaky nincompoop...but then she'll do something unexpectedly smart.

Has Bo even tried using persuasion on Kenzie? I don't remember seeing that. Persuasion is deliberate and has its own sparkly special effect, after all.

She has not yet used her manipulation/seduction touch on Kenzie. Kenzie told her that she doesn't swing that way to girls, though that certainly wouldn't stop Bo. I think it's out of respect of some sort and protectiveness on Bo's part for not using her as a slurpy cup. From the recent ep and the first it sounds like Kenzie has been on her own for a long time. She doesn't need to be sexually assaulted on top of that.

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 2:15 AM

She has not yet used her manipulation/seduction touch on Kenzie.

I thought it was something Bo couldn't entirely control.

Daliden

Daliden

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 8:26 AM

For a good example of what happens when the secrets on which a relationship has been built come out in the open, see True Blood's Bill&Sookie...

All in all, I didn't much care for Episode 3. Need more Fae politics, stat.

Azure Owl

Azure Owl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 9:58 AM

I don't see why she wouldn't feel at least a bit of a personal conflict over the fact that humans are both hers to protect and hers to kill and eat.

I think the key point in this situation is that Bo seems to feel the same way a shepherd feels towards his sheep. A shepherd takes care of his sheep, guards them, protects them from thieves and predators, and even loves them. But that same shepherd will lose not a single night of sleep after slaughtering one of the sheep for diner.

I don't quite understand why she's as comfortable as she is with Bo, Mistress of Sexual Assault and Manslaughter.

I may be reading too much into it, but if I’m remembering correctly in the first episode she got the info she needed to track down Bo by calling a cousin who she talked to in Russian. What I interpreted from that scene was Russian family + illegal access to city information + a life of petty crime = Russian Mob.

If Kenzi’s relatives are in the Russian Mafia then I can totally see her being completely comfortable in the company of sociopaths and murderers. Or maybe they just put it in so Ksenia Solo could show of her fluency in Russian and I’m overanalyzing things.

Edited by Azure Owl, Sep 28, 2010 @ 9:59 AM.

uglyshoes

uglyshoes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:07 PM

by Lesbonaut

by Azure Owl
I may be reading too much into it, but if Iím remembering correctly in the first episode she got the info she needed to track down Bo by calling a cousin who she talked to in Russian. What I interpreted from that scene was Russian family + illegal access to city information + a life of petty crime = Russian Mob.

I'm suspecting that Kenzi may not be entirely human either. I could be totally wrong here but in that scene (1st episode) where she is asking her cousin to help, isn't she speaking the 1st sentence in Spanish (something with 'madre'), 2nd one in Russian and then in English? I'm not sure if it is as simple as she is a really smart multilingual person. There could be a hint for something more IMHO. Which could then be an explanation of why she isn't affected by Bo's powers.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 3:33 PM

I could be totally wrong here but in that scene (1st episode) where she is asking her cousin to help, isn't she speaking the 1st sentence in Spanish (something with 'madre'), 2nd one in Russian and then in English?

It's all Russian (and then English). And because I wanted to be sure that it was actually Russian (and not some other Slavic language), I nerdily checked with my native-of-Sankt-Peterburg co-worker. :)

For those interested, Kenzi said something roughly translated as "Don't mess around with this. She saved my life."

I agree with rtms: Bo hasn't actually tried to fae-influence Kenzi, so we don't have any data about Kenzi's susceptibility.

A shepherd takes care of his sheep, guards them, protects them from thieves and predators, and even loves them. But that same shepherd will lose not a single night of sleep after slaughtering one of the sheep for diner.

I like this analogy, Azure Owl. It's very fitting. The only nit I have is that Bo does seem to lose sleep over it. Contrast her talk of freakishness, homicidality, etc. with the attitudes of other fae -- both Light and Dark -- who take it in stride, who have accepted their natures. Yes, they learn to practice control, but the only thing they worry about is not leaving a trail for humans to find.

Edited by DEM, Sep 28, 2010 @ 3:40 PM.

Zoredicus

Zoredicus

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 4:03 PM

For some reason i am finding this show highly enjoyable (the hot , semi naked most of the time protagonist could be helping). It screams canceled to me from the first time i saw it but i still think its quite good. We need more Fae politics but it has solid foundations.

uglyshoes

uglyshoes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 4:58 PM

by DEM
It's all Russian (and then English). And because I wanted to be sure that it was actually Russian (and not some other Slavic language), I nerdily checked with my native-of-Sankt-Peterburg co-worker. :)

Thank you for the research. So the Russian mob theory could be an interesting spin on things. :)

rtms

rtms

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 6:04 PM

Bo has to actually touch people to start using the manip/seduction power other wise she's like anyone else with Kenzie. When she gets hungry is when Kenzie needs to be careful, but as I said I don't see her going after the girl, their partners now and friends, it would all go down the drain it Bo decided to snack on Kenzie. Not only that but Kenzie keeps her inline, as we saw in the hardware store and making sure she didn't kill the trailer park woman.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2010 @ 6:25 PM

Finally, just a shout-out to Munchiewoman... good to "see" ya!

Hey there, caper24. Good to see our trend of watching the same shows is continuing. :)

I'm in the group who would just as soon not see Bo constantly brooding about her nature. I've seen enough to know it's not taken that lightly for her and we've seen her at least target bad people. When she's not really hungry, of course. Based on her surprise at Dyson's living state, it seems that instinct just takes over and she's not entirely aware as she feeds.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2010 @ 8:34 PM

Interview with creator/writer/showrunner Michelle Lovretta at rgbFilter.

No spoilers.

uglyshoes

uglyshoes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 1:45 PM

DEM:
Interview with creator/writer/showrunner Michelle Lovretta at rgbFilter.

No spoilers.

She has the sex drive of a pornstar, the heart of the girl next door, and the dating skills of a fifteen year old.

Can't wait to see her dating skills. :)

mickeddy

mickeddy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 2, 2010 @ 6:50 PM

I liked the analogy of Bo and the shepherd, but I think that her "second thoughts" about her killing is more that she's bothered by the fact that she has to kill - that it's out of her control, and therefore screws up her "normal" life. She's never seemed to show guilt about her individual feedings. It's the lack of control she has over her life that pisses her off, like her refusal to align with the Light or Dark Fae.

I don't think Bo has put the whammy on Kenzei or will. Kenzie's the only person who seems to like her for real and not have a secret alterior motive (she's pretty open about wanting to take advantage of Bo's powers, but for pretty tame reasons).

As for her relationship with Dyson - I just can't get into that ship because the guy is just so ugly. He looks like a strung out junkie. Then there was the observation that he looks life the lead singer of Coldplay - bad enough that he's butt-ugly, but now every time I see him I mentally connect him to the lead singer of a craptastic band that no one will publicly admit to liking - understandably.
Hook her up with Doctor Lauren, or someone new, or no one at all - I don't see Succubi as being monogamous.

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2010 @ 11:03 AM

I'm in the group who would just as soon not see Bo constantly brooding about her nature. I've seen enough to know it's not taken that lightly for her and we've seen her at least target bad people.

You're right, the brooding would really get old; I'd much rather find out more about the Fae world, and Fae politics or whatever. I mean, the Japanese Fae of last episode, where does he fit in? If he'd been known to the Fae, would they have taken him in and supplied fresh . . . whatever for him? Or given him a trial, like Bo got, or killed him outright, like Dyson did? It's all kinda muddy.

This whole Fae of the Week thing is seriously getting in the way of more information about the Fae world, and it's kinda irritating me.

When she gets hungry is when Kenzie needs to be careful, but as I said I don't see her going after the girl, their partners now and friends, it would all go down the drain it Bo decided to snack on Kenzie.

The thing is, I see their relationship as older sister/younger sister, Bo seems very protective of Kenzie. The very first thing she did was save her ass from the roofie guy; and Bo never showed any inkling of being attracted to her in any way, so I can't see Bo turning on her.