Lost Girl (Not the Alan Moore Kind)

• Please log in to reply

1308 replies to this topic

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 1:58 PM

Lost Girl is a daring new series about mysterious young Bo (Anna Silk), a succubus who drains the sexual energy of humans to feed, heal... and kill. Having survived for years alone, she now discovers she is one of the fae, creatures of legend and folklore who secretly feed off humans in myriad ways. Relieved to find out that she is not alone, but horrified by what it means, Bo chooses a dangerous middle path between the humans and the fae while embarking on a personal mission to unlock the secrets of her origin.

Ok, hyperbolic copywriter; I enjoyed the pilot, though I wouldn't call it a DARING NEW SERIES, just because the main character is allowed to say "asshole"!

So, this is on Showcase, and even though they're all DARING and shit, they still cleaned up the succubus myth a tad: as far as I know, succubae kill people through having sex, not just kissing.

Still, I enjoyed the different clans of Fae, and there was Emmanuelle Vaugier as the Morrigan, which was kinda awesome.

Predictably the spunky girl (Ksenia Solo), friend of the succubus, who is the entry character for the audience, was as annoying as hell.

But I'm more on board for Dyson, played by Kris Holden-Reid: I'm not sure what kind of Fae he's supposed to be (the one time he, um, acted out, looked more like an out of control vampire or a human-looking werewolf to me), but he is hot hot hot. And in the official site there's a pic of him shirtless with his wrists chained above his head, from some future episode, so I'm sticking with the series!

Here's the official site: Lost Girl. There's some interactive comic on it, too.

ETA I just checked on Kris Holden-Reid's imdb page, and he's only listed for one episode, but on the official site he's one of the three main characters. All I say is, he'd better be on it next week, or I am outta here!

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 3:47 PM

Twas okay for a canadian unofficial adaptation of the White Wolf/Changeling RPG universe.

Nothing really outstanding, and sometimes clunky and cheap, but hey, as long as it's not a show about vampires, i'm in. At least for a bit.

Daliden

Daliden

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 7:16 PM

Color me surprised; I liked it quite a bit! I've been wondering when someone will finally make a series about the Fae, and here it is. And not the True Blood prancing fairies, either!

Morrigan's actress seemed so familiar, and then I realised she played Painkiller Jane in the first TV movie, a pilot that never got to a series. Unfortunate, considering the schlock that *did* get to a series :P

It also helps that Anna Silk is very very pretty to look at!

Let's see if this goes for the predictable monster-of-the-week approach...

Hugin

Hugin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 10:53 PM

Kaoteek, White Wolf didn't invent mythology. Or even urban fantasy.

Anyway, I though it was okay. Morrigan and the urchin girl sidekick were both trying to hard but I liked the undercover Fae cops and I like the overall premise.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 11:25 PM

Kaoteek, White Wolf didn't invent mythology. Or even urban fantasy.

Next thing you're gonna tell me that Stephenie Meyer didn't invent vampires ? ;)

Seriously, though, the show so far is almost a carbon copy of the 1995 Changeling RPG games I played back then, not only in its depiction of the urban fantasy/faery universe (both courts, all the differents types of faes, how they're integrated in the modern world, their rules, etc), but also in the way the main character is depicted (and its "inbetweener" nature), which reflects the way some beginners were introduced to the game.

Granted, it may all be a big coincidence (and the writers very well could have created the Lost Girl world from scratch, using the classic & traditional faery lore), but i wouldn't be surprised if the writers read a Changeling sourcebook or two during their brainstorming sessions.

(hey, just noticed the exec producer/writer of Lost Girl also exec produced Blood Ties. Why am I not surprised ?)

Edited by Kaoteek, Sep 13, 2010 @ 11:42 PM.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 12:01 AM

I...I... really liked it! I dunno why and how, but it hit a sweet spot. Just enough self-awareness without being all chichi post-modern; just enough levity without being faux-apologetically camp. The show overall had a sort of classic feel to it. Miraculously, there wasn't one main character that I did not like.

Bo/Lauren was magically delicious.

OK, have to come back to earth for a minute: I'm wary of the obvious Bo/Detective arc, and Kenzie's wig bugs me.

I'll be back next week.

Edited by DEM, Sep 14, 2010 @ 10:22 PM.

Daliden

Daliden

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 12:12 AM

I'm hoping Bo gets it on with the human doctor lady :)

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 4:18 AM

Morrigan's actress seemed so familiar, and then I realised she played Painkiller Jane in the first TV movie, a pilot that never got to a series. Unfortunate, considering the schlock that *did* get to a series :P

She was also Detective Angell for a while on CSI NY, and played a werewolf in one episode of Supernatural. I like her a lot, though I was annoyed that one of the two powerful women on this show has to be evil (the Morrigan is the leader of the Dark Side, apparently, because warlike women are just wrong, ya know? I'm rolling my eyes like crazy here).

And since I find the protagonist rather dull and Kenzie annoys the heck out of me, I'm clinging onto Detective Dyson with both hands, here (the joke's on me if he never appears again, lol).

As far as Bo/women (the waitress in the diner, the Fae doc), it looked to me like fanservice for the pilot, but maybe they'll go somewhere with it, who knows. It would kind of annoy me though, as they made such huge efforts to make sure we realised that the guys in the speaking roles are all STRAIGHT, YOU HEAR ME, STRAIGHT I SAY! We had one cop hooking up for no reason, and Dyson doing the 'take my strength!!! while we make out photogenically' - it was hot, don't get me wrong, but the agenda behind it was anvillicious!

And then Kenzie saves her from the pain-eater, because she is human, and- my eyes are rolling of their own volition here.

Still enjoyed it, hope it will last longer than The Listener and Blood Ties. Hope it will go deeper into Fae society and the clans, though, rather than boring-ass Bo and spunky Kenzie, shudder.

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 9:46 AM

I liked Bo and the fangy detective okay, but the Pickpocket Girl was so atrocious that I wanted to strangle her. The dialogue was far too clunky as well. I probably won't be watching this show for long. I'll give it one or two more episodes, in the hopes that the sidekick character gets killed off...but I suppose there's not much chance of that.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 10:37 AM

just noticed the exec producer/writer of Lost Girl also exec produced Blood Ties. Why am I not surprised ?

I was wondering. It felt a lot like Blood Ties. Which should be a good thing but didn't really help.

Overall, rather clunky dialogue and plot, not terribly good acting. The good thing was Emmanuelle Vaugier hamming it up as the evil fae. I didn't know she had it in her!

It felt rather self-conscious to me which made me cringe quite a few times. I'll give it a few more episodes but this really wasn't very good in my book.

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

I liked Bo and the fangy detective okay, but the Pickpocket Girl was so atrocious that I wanted to strangle her.

Hooray! A kindred spirit! /Zoidberg!voice

At least stick with it until fangy detective (dyson) gets the scene in which he's suspended by his wrists while shirtless - there's a picture of this on the official site which is made of yummy.

But no, I don't think she's gonna bite it. She seems to be the HUMAN character who will keep Bo on the straight and narrow or whatever the fuck.

Why do producers think the audience still needs an entry character?

I mean, Bo kissed the guy, he died, the cops knew there was something hinky because hinky is what they are, and in the next scene the doc handles the exposition and the Morrigan (She Who Chews On Scenery) and the other guy handle the rest.

What's not to get?

Hugin

Hugin

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 1:10 PM

Arjumand

She was also Detective Angell for a while on CSI NY, and played a werewolf in one episode of Supernatural. I like her a lot, though I was annoyed that one of the two powerful women on this show has to be evil (the Morrigan is the leader of the Dark Side, apparently, because warlike women are just wrong, ya know? I'm rolling my eyes like crazy here).

[snip] There’s 4 women we've met so far. Two supporting human characters, both good (pickpocket girl engages in criminal behavior but she's clearly not malevolent), two more powerful supernatural women, one our protagonist, the other "evil", though she hasn't really done anything particularly evil yet and I'm pretty dubious about the "goodness" in human terms of light side fae. By the very nature of the show there's going to be a lot of powerful supernatural folks running around, and half of them or more will probably be "evil". One pilot episode is kind of early to decide there's anything structurally gendered about this (though certainly Morrigan's vampy characterization is cliche). In other words, when it comes to women, Lost Girl isn't Supernatural, yet.

And since I find the protagonist rather dull and Kenzie annoys the heck out of me, I'm clinging onto Detective Dyson with both hands, here (the joke's on me if he never appears again, lol).

Nah, he's a regular.

As far as Bo/women (the waitress in the diner, the Fae doc), it looked to me like fanservice for the pilot, but maybe they'll go somewhere with it, who knows. It would kind of annoy me though, as they made such huge efforts to make sure we realised that the guys in the speaking roles are all STRAIGHT, YOU HEAR ME, STRAIGHT I SAY! We had one cop hooking up for no reason, and Dyson doing the 'take my strength!!! while we make out photogenically' - it was hot, don't get me wrong, but the agenda behind it was anvillicious!

[snip]. 4 guys had meaningful speaking parts: main cop, sidekick cop, mysterious tea maker, and leader of the light fae. We have no statement on the sexuality of the latter two at all. Main cop is going to be a love interest for the protagonist, in a canon triangle with the doctor. And the "anvilicious" agenda for sidekick cop to talk to the waitress was so that main cop and mysterious tea maker could talk about Bo in private. The two of them share some kind of agenda that sidekick cop clearly doesn't know about.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 15, 2010 @ 3:10 AM.
Boards on boards

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 1:26 PM

And the "anvilicious" agenda for sidekick cop to talk to the waitress was so that main cop and mysterious tea maker could talk about Bo in private.

Furthermore, one flirty interaction does not a strong declaration of complete heterosexuality (i.e., non-bisexuality) make.

Daliden

Daliden

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 9:26 PM

I have to say, I would be *wowed* (if that's even a word) if Bo would be romantically connected to both men and women in this show.

It would fit the character, I think, and... yeah.

TheExaultedOne

TheExaultedOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

Just saw this over at Spoiler TV ...

Lost Girl - ET Behind the Scenes

(Beware the interview and the clips shown are spoiler-y)

I have to say, certain hints about what's to come Bo/Lauren/Dyson romantic triangle, yay! I'm very glad the writers weren't just yanking the audiences chains with the Bo/Lauren interaction in the pilot make me very happy!

jorowe

jorowe

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 9:53 PM

Yeah, this was cute and fluffy enough to get me back for next week. I did love the Morrigan, and I (embarrassingly) recognized the doctor from her stint on Instant Star. I didn't notice similarities to Blood Ties as I was watching, but now that others have mentioned it, I can see where it's coming from.

Like others, I don't care for the sidekick, but Bo seems to have a reasonable personality. The preview of her (apparently?) immediately getting involved with people from the clans next week makes me doubt her intelligence, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now.

Oh, and I love that leader of the light side is also on Shattered! I'm all about the crossover, so I guess he can be yet another fae who works for the cops during the day, heh.

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 2:55 AM

And the "anvilicious" agenda for sidekick cop to talk to the waitress was so that main cop and mysterious tea maker could talk about Bo in private. The two of them share some kind of agenda that sidekick cop clearly doesn't know about.

I did think that at first; however, there were many other ways in which Dyson could have a private conversation with the tea maker - any other cop show would have had him going to the bathroom or something, rather than hooking up with some no-name character who we might never meet again, IMO always. Unless she becomes someone with a speaking role, of course.

Regarding the spoilery ET clips

I have to say, certain hints about what's to come Bo/Lauren/Dyson romantic triangle, yay! I'm very glad the writers weren't just yanking the audiences chains with the Bo/Lauren interaction in the pilot make me very happy!

Yay! Even though I am against romantic triangles on principle, in this case, it sounds more interesting and diverse than usual! And those scenes with Dyson and Bo looked smokin' hot.

Like others, I don't care for the sidekick, but Bo seems to have a reasonable personality. The preview of her (apparently?) immediately getting involved with people from the clans next week makes me doubt her intelligence, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now.

Yes, when I saw her all weaponed up in the preview, I did think 'whoa, girl! Thought you weren't going to drink the koolaid straightaway!'

However, it did occur to me that she's been alone for so long, it must be intoxicating to know there's people like you, and you belong somewhere. At least, that's how I see it. And I'm starting to come to the reluctant conclusion that her not choosing between light and dark was kinda clever: she keeps them both hanging without making new enemies on her first day.

And apparently, Dyson shapeshifts into a wolf. So, totally not a werewolf, then!

I'm really looking forward to the next episode now - I'm curious to see where they're taking all this.

Morgan of Hed

Morgan of Hed

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 1:11 PM

And apparently, Dyson shapeshifts into a wolf. So, totally not a werewolf, then!

He could be a phoukka

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 1:13 PM

In a number of his scenes, the actor who plays Dyson reminded me, in looks and voice and smile, of the late, great James Coburn.

Edited by Lesbonaut, Sep 15, 2010 @ 1:15 PM.

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 1:45 PM

He could be a phoukka

That would be so awesome, especially if the conversation between him and Bo would go something like (So, a Puck? Like in Midsummer's Night Dream? NO, not . . . well, kind of like that but not really. I'm a wolf, ok? W.O.L.F.)

If they just go boring on us and just call him a generic shapeshifter, I will be seriously miffed.

Going back to the episode, I especially liked the way she was tested, though, thinking about it, those two Fae must have been chosen for their expendability, lol. Though I don't think she ended up killing the fear eater, he just kind of scuttled away with his fingers on fire.

Anyway, it's like they were testing her physical skills to sort of take her off guard, and make her think it was going to be easy, and then when she thought she'd won, BAM! Fear eater comes in. And that scene in the glade was very otherworldly; nice touch to reference the origin of the Fae to remind us who they are, even if the series takes place in a city. Better than in True Blood (sigh), anyway.

Morgan of Hed

Morgan of Hed

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 1:53 PM

Is Emma Bull doing anything these days? Maybe she could punch up these scripts.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 5:15 PM

I liked the pilot. Anna Silk has a ton of charisma, and a really, really nice back. :) There's a lot of potential here. I look forward to the next episode.

Edited by caper24, Sep 15, 2010 @ 5:15 PM.

quazimodo

quazimodo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 4:41 AM

I like it so far. I agree that it's interesting to watch a supernatural show that's not about vampires. Dyson is very yummy and I'm feeling the heat between him and Bo and between Bo and the doctor as well. UO but I liked Kenzi and thought she and Bo had a nice rapport going, (but then I also liked Morgan on Chuck back when the majority of fans found him annoying).

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 1:56 PM

I realised she played Painkiller Jane in the first TV movie, a pilot that never got to a series.

Actually it did, but only for one season.

Lesbonaut

Lesbonaut

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 3:36 PM

Emmanuelle Vaugier, who plays the Morrigan, is also a recurring character, a well-known journalist, on this year's new spy show Covert Affairs.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

I just saw this online (TV stolen in break-in last week so catching up with everything online!) and I liked it more than I thought I would. I can't stand True Blood's take on the Fae, all shimmery and glowing and prancing; and in general I'm massively indifferent to fairy lore, but I enjoyed the pilot. The human sidekick was irritating as hell but I guess I'll learn to live with her. I thought Dyson was played by Chris Martin (Mr. Gwyneth Paltrow) when I first saw him! I'll definitely check out the second episode (live!) and see what happens. It helps that Bo is significantly less annoying a succubus than that girl on The Gates.

Tippi Blevins

Tippi Blevins

Network Executive

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

I thought Dyson was played by Chris Martin (Mr. Gwyneth Paltrow) when I first saw him!

Heh. I thought the same thing when I first saw that actor on The Tudors.

I wonder if all the fae have to pass that test? Because there seemed to be a lot of surviving fae in the rafters. What happens when they run out of those misfit fae to fight?

Sidekick girl needs to go back to whatever raccoon nest she crawled out of.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 10:20 PM

I'm a huge fan of Emmanuelle Vaugier. Great to see her here in an atypical role (I don't think I've seen her doing "evil" since she left Smallville many moons ago.) I hope she has enough time to appear some more on this... the Morrigan sounds interesting. (I also hope she guest stars on Human Target again this season.)

Nice to hear that you were able to catch the episode online, irishmaple. I notice showcase.ca is doing more online videos these days. That's cool.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 11:12 PM

I wonder if all the fae have to pass that test?

No, I think only the non-clanned fae have to take the test. Maybe? Or else normally, a fae has the benefit of lifelong training, so the test is more like a pro-forma initiation. I know they covered this, so now I'm gonna have to review... but because my remote is of the devil, I'll probably have to suffer thru the Bo/Lauren scene to find the relevant part. O Woe.

It helps that Bo is significantly less annoying a succubus than that girl on The Gates.

Yes.

Edited by DEM, Sep 16, 2010 @ 11:24 PM.

Daliden

Daliden

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2010 @ 1:48 PM

I realised she played Painkiller Jane in the first TV movie, a pilot that never got to a series.

Actually it did, but only for one season.

It could be said that the thank-lord-only-one-season PJ with Kristanna Loken had nothing to do with the Painkiller Jane pilot that Emmanuelle Vaugier starred in. The concept seemed entirely different.