4-8: "The Summer Man" 2010.09.12 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

680 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

From AMCTV.com:

Joan and Peggy deal with high-jinx in the office.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

"madam from a Shanghai Whorehouse"... ouch! Joan is almost always a bitch to Peggy, I give Peggy credit for sticking up for Joan. And then Joan is a bitch to her in the elevator, I guess I can see her point but she is just so harsh. Poor Peggy. I think if I were a fellow woman working with Joan I wouldn't think she was so fabulous.

Betty isn't over Don. Ooooh... "maybe we rushed into this". WHOA. Henry isn't the pushover she thought. And he said she's not allowed to say she needs a drink? Oh boy, this is not going to end well.

It didn't sit well that it seems that Henry is taking over Gene from Don, no matter what Don is his father. Proud of Betty for inviting Don afterall, and so was Henry

Why did Don's date look happy when she saw Betty? Do you think because she figured she would be his type after seeing Betty?

FRANCINE!

Don may have met his match with the gangster's daughter

pianogirl

pianogirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

No matter how long I live, I will never look as cool as Don Draper did leaning against the stoop of his Greenwich Village apartment complex, sporting aviators and smoking a cigarette to the opening strains of "Satisfaction." Just wow.

Has anyone read the John Cheever story "The Swimmer"? I got a Cheever "vibe" from this episode.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

Who is Don writing to? Anna? (yes I know she's dead)

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

I found it hard to concentrate for most of the episode due to the RAGE I felt after that asshole Joey's rape remark to Joan. And it was just so satisfying to watch Peggy fired his misogynistic ass. Stan next please, Peggy. Sad to see that even Harry and Ken are on the periphery of that frat boy fuckery. That said, I was a bit taken aback by Joan's reaction to Peggy when they were in the elevator. I sort of see her point that it made her seem powerless, but it didn't look like she was doing that much about it to Peggy, and Peggy meant well.

It was good to see Don really trying to cut way back on the drinking, and even, exercising! I hope this means he hit rock bottom and is on his way back up. I'm not really thrilled that he went on the date with Dr. Faye though. But wow, Don Draper turned down sex, from a date!

Betty is such a fucking child, and I am glad that Henry finally got a big glimpse of that side of her. Of course, he forgave her way too easily, but it certainly won't be the last time though. I for one, am skeptical that she's really had a change of heart when it comes to hating on Don.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

Did Betty invite Don? Or did he just show up?

Henry, buy the woman a house, already! Don is always going to live there. It's the Draper residence.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

The writing must be good for Don. It looked like he was getting his head on straight when he told Faye (it was her, right?) that he was only ready to take her to her front door. Good for him!

"I feel like Margaret Mead." Hee!

regency

regency

Couch Potato

I knew exactly what response Joan was going to have to Peggy firing Joey before she even opened her mouth. Joan's already been around the block while Peggy still thinks she can rebuild it. The shame of it is that what Joan said may have hurt but she wasn't wrong. There is no way to win in this time, there's very few ways to win today except to play on their level.

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Im not sure what was real and what may have been Don's fiction.

Peggy was right, it was like she was Margeret Mead. Thos guys are serious douchbags. I miss Paul and Sal.

nerdygeek

nerdygeek

Channel Surfer

I need time to process this episode, but I did like that Henry called out Betty and Betty's turnaround was epic. I can see Joan's point, but man, she can be such a bitch (I still love you Joan)

nerdygeek

nerdygeek

Channel Surfer

double post

Edited by nerdygeek, Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:08 PM.

quickychick

quickychick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:08 PM

Damn, Joan. That was like watching Santa drop-kick a puppy.

TXeggplant

TXeggplant

Just Tuned In

Another incredible episode.

Its funny ... now that Don is opening himself up so much more, not just with other people but also within himself ... so many good things are coming to him. If he had done that before ... maybe his life would have been different. What is that saying ...? Something about the harder we work for things the more value they have or something put much more eloquently than I am putting it LOL.

Poor Peggy. I think Joan represents the "old" way things worked ... Joan was the true power behind the throne ... hiding behind it, doing backhanded phone calls and lunches with "old friends." Peggy took the "new" way ... asserting her power head on. She is not hiding behind the throne but openly vying for it.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Not sure how I felt about the journal/voice over thing, but ultimately it worked for me and sounded like how Don would actually write as opposed to the writers making him sound more "polished."

Don surprised me by not hitting the sheets with Faye right away. Betty surprised me by not making a scene at the birthday party. But Don needs to get them out of that house, or sell it to them, or something.

Joan is a complex lady--but I think she's gonna miss the feminist solidarity boat. I didn't think Peggy was being all that self-serving by firing Joey.

A solid ep--we can't expect the peak of last week all the time.

spaceytraci17

spaceytraci17

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

Was anyone else waiting for Don to cuss Henry out for asking him to move HIS stuff out of HIS house? All I could think was "Bitch, your ass was supposed to be outta the house months ago!"

rocksolidgurl

rocksolidgurl

Channel Surfer

I thought it was a great episode, and I took it as a positive sign that Don is trying to write things down, and get things out a little bit instead of holding them inside. I actually liked his date with Dr. Faye, but think that it may blow up in his face with Bethany...is he trying to have it all again? Although he hasn't had sex with either of them, so he's not being such a "player." And he admitted to Bethany that he wants to be close to someone.

Also, the jacket he wore to dinner with Faye: was that the same one he wore in Cali with Anna and Stephanie? More a "Dick" type of jacket.

Jschoolgirl

Jschoolgirl

Fanatic

OK, what's going to happen with whatever compromising information (re Dick/Don switch) is in those boxes in the dumpster?

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:11 PM

I didnt' think it was Peggy's job to fire Joey without consulting Joan.

Loved her blue and red outfit,though.

rosjaq

rosjaq

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:11 PM

Don and Betty were both likeable in the same episode? This feeling is not familiar.

I hated the Joan/Peggy scene after that little twit was fired, because I saw the points in favor for each one of them.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

I was also confused by Joan's reaction to Peggy firing Joey. If Joan did nothing, she would be perceived as having no power. If she called the canned ham guy, she would be seen as needing a man to bail her out and the guys would probably assume she was sleeping with him. I read what Peggy did as showing that Joan DOES have enough power in the agency that outright contempt would not be tolerated by others that work there.

larisaa

larisaa

Video Archivist

Poor Peggy. I think Joan represents the "old" way things worked ... Joan was the true power behind the throne ... hiding behind it, doing backhanded phone calls and lunches with "old friends." Peggy took the "new" way ... asserting her power head on. She is not hiding behind the throne but openly vying for it.

Good observation. Don told Peggy, yell at him or fire him. Peggy is a quick study. And Joey went too far not just with Joan but with Peggy and if Joan is to believed, the other women in the office, too.

Also if you think about it, from an advertising perspective, could a misogynist like Joey sell to the modern woman? He would not have been able to change with the times, so his firing was inevitable.

Edited by larisaa, Sep 13, 2010 @ 11:58 AM.

shriekingeel

shriekingeel

Couch Potato

I thought January was excellent in this. "Some poor slob who's about to have the worst dinner of his life" LOL. 

One of the best things about this season is that it emphasizes how deeply squicky the sixties were.  It was a very brief period when men felt free to say the most sexually explicit things in mixed company; a brief window when crudely sexual talk in, for example, the workplace, wasn't somehow inappropriate.  A few years before it would have been ungentlemanly and a few years later it would have been sexually harassing. It was one of the things I hated most about the sixties. 

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

apt point Piano Girl...I kept thinking of Don as Burt Lancaster, swimming accross the pools of Ossining...

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:14 PM

Hated the voiceover. If you're going to use narration, be sure that it accomplishes something beyond merely having a character articulate his thoughts out loud for the convenience of the audience. Otherwise it's a really hacky device.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

No closing music? Why? They could have continued with "The Big Rock Candy Mountain."

Vietnam was called, "The Living Room War." The first war that was watched on the family tee-vee rather than in newsreels.

It's hard to believe that Don never finished high school and has invented this polished, well-educated persona. My former father-in-law left high school in the 1930s to go to work, and I never realized it until I'd known him for 30 years. In those years you could do that.

pigeoninthepark

pigeoninthepark

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:15 PM

Thos guys are serious douchbags. I miss Paul and Sal.

You know things are bad when someone prefers Pretentious Paul to the current group of a-holes. I still can't tell any those guys apart and I really don't care to figure it out.

sistersal

sistersal

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:17 PM

I'm sure I'll think of something significant to say about this episode tomorrow, but for now all I can think of is Don noodling that adorable toddler. Be still, my ovaries!

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

I wonder if Don writing down his thoughts was in a way, inspired by Roger's tapes of his memoirs. And I thought it was hilarious that one of his life's ambitions, was to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. He would need to stop smoking immediately then.

FredInQuebec

FredInQuebec

Channel Surfer

I don't think those boxes at any compromising information.. probably some old magazines and such.

I liked the episode.... Joan was very harsh with Peggy.

Nice to see Don with a clear head... Coincidentally or not, Roger wasn't seen tonight..

I actually like the pairing of Don and Dr. Faye. I think Don would have been immensely helped had he married an adult instead of Betty way back when.

I think Betty is still not over Don, no matter what she may say otherwise. Hate and love aren't that far apart.

Would be interested to see a little more of what transpires from the therapy sessions.

Overall another excellent episode.

It was fun to see Francine, I always liked her and she is a good influence on Betty.

The only thing that didn't ring true to me was Don's entrance at the birthday party. I would think Sally would have had a more happy reaction than what she did.

I get the feeling from the conversation with Don and Henry that they came to some sort of arrangement regarding the house and Henry mentioned taking some money of the rent to pay for the storage of Don's things. So at this point, they are not renting the house, not just staying there too long.

Figgy Glaze

Figgy Glaze

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

Did anyone notice that the actor who played Joey was also the guy racing Don in the pool at the end? I love the subtlety of this show!

Well, so much for Dr. Rapist's rape of Joan being a one time thing. Because that was definitely NOT consensual sex. She said no twice and he forced it, and now we also know that he uses her affair with Roger as leverage. That's how I understood the "midtown hotel/break" thing. IMO, when Joan was saying she hopes the office frat boys die in Vietnam, she really was thinking about her disgusting husband.

Edited by Figgy Glaze, Sep 12, 2010 @ 10:20 PM.