3-12: "Evil is Going On" 2010.09.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

368 replies to this topic

Omnomnomicon

Omnomnomicon

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2011 @ 1:49 PM

I rewatched season 3 over the holidays and it does not benefit from a rewatch. It becomes even more glaringly uneven in pacing, tone and (worst, in my book) characterization. Everyone is all over the place, and Sookah starts out the season looking like a crazy inconsiderate bitch, ends it in this episode with dumping Talbot down the garbage disposal and then doing that total batshit laughter. Completely setting aside book comparisons, which I don't feel are very useful any more anyway, I have no idea how I'm supposed to feel about this character, nor do I have any idea what could possibly be going on in her twitchy little brain. Or how she has earned her large and unconditional fan club.

I don't mind the idea of Evil!Faerie!Sookie, which is the best explanation I could come up with for the garbage disposal scene, and I recognize that completely irritating characters have their place, but let's have some point A -> point B development. (Wrong show, maybe.)

Impunity Jane

Impunity Jane

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 4:27 PM

Watching the last kissing scene between Shug and DJay in Hustle and Flow, I noticed that Sookie doesn't kiss Eric Back. Wouldn't you if you liked him at all?

I don't think Sookie likes vampires.

toogoodtobetrue

toogoodtobetrue

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 2:56 PM

Ok, I feel like the thickest and most naive person on here, but having watched all three seasons, I am wondering why everyone hates Bill and thinks he is bad news for Sookie? I know that he almost killed her in the episode where they escaped from Russell's house, but that was it, right? Why would Eric send message via Sookie's cousin not to trust Bill? If Sookie hadn't trusted Bill she would have been killed by Russell and his werewolves.

I know we've heard that Bill was sent specifically to seek Sookie out by the queen of Louisiana but doesn't Bill deny that several times?

GrantsHistory

GrantsHistory

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2011 @ 6:09 PM

I know we've heard that Bill was sent specifically to seek Sookie out by the queen of Louisiana but doesn't Bill deny that several times?

Bill was lying all of those times he denied having ulterior motives regarding Sookie; he confessed to everything when Eric forced him to admit the truth in the Season 3 finale. We know Bill was Sophie Anne's procurer, and watched him procure for Russell in season 3. Bill knew Sookie's cousin was living with Sophie Anne, but he never told Sookie where Hadley was living. He admitted that Sophie Anne sent him to procure Sookie because she suspected Sookie was a fae. He let the Rattrays beat her so he could establish a blood bond with Sookie, which he originally hoped would make her more compliant and let him take her to the queen. While he informed Sookie about the healing aspects of the blood and the emotional connection, he only told Sookie about the sexual aspects of the bond when he was forced to do so after Eric tricked her in into drinking his blood in Season 2.

Fortunately for Sookie, Bill developed feelings for her and sought to keep her away from the queen. Unfortunately for Bill, he didn't trust that love enough to be honest with Sookie. While Sookie's characterization was all over the place in Season 3, she pointedly asked Bill several times if he was being honest with her, if he had told her the truth, if there was anything else she needed to know. Bill had many chances to come totally clean with Sookie, and he chose not to do so. His constant belittling of Eric and his faults to Sookie was classic projection: everything he accused Eric of Bill himself had done to Sookie. I believe Bill was afraid of losing Sookie, and I believe that he loved her. But by only telling her half-truths, only giving partial answers to all the questions she asked him, he only compounded the betrayal she felt when the full truth was finally revealed. People who don't like Eric will say that he's done worse things to Sookie, but Bill was the one who betrayed her while professing his love for her.

Edited by GrantsHistory, May 17, 2011 @ 6:14 PM.

Snooker83

Snooker83

Couch Potato

• Interests:History, movies (anything but rom coms), politics (the dirtiest spectator sport known to man!), swimming.

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

Well the one thing they seem to have taken from the books in portraying Eric in the TV series is his attitude towards Sookie. In the books he once tells her: 'I might not tell you everything, but what I tell you is the truth'. They've seem to taken that onboard on the show.

Eric schemes, unapologetically so, but he'll never pretend to be a better person than he is. Obviously telling Sookie about Bill was as payback for the cement incident.However you can feel that there is something else there too, he resents Bill's holier than thou attitude over the past months. By the way, kudos to Alexander Skarsgard for adding a lighter tone to that scene by casually flicking cement from his hair while delivering the news.

Eric is loyal to the people who work for him,I'm convinced that he was being sincere when he said he was sorry she was hurting, but she deserved to know.

Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2011 @ 8:21 AM

Just finished season 3 and loved it. A couple thoughts, most of which have been said before:

1) Bill and Sookie are tangled up in all these issues about what love is. So you were just getting off a breakup, and now that you mention it, she does kind of remind you of your mother, and she has a thing for redheads who chew tobacco, which you are and do, and who knows where that comes from. At the end, if your relationship lasts long enough and is happy enough, then it was love. And if it doesn't or isn't, then it's a different kind of love.

So they're chemically dependent on each other, but they're also the kind of personality the other one needs, and they're both hot, and he's kind of an awful person, but so is she. And he's committed crimes that you would think are too great to forgive, but then again, he walked into the sun in an effort to save her. And he promises that he can stop drinking from her, but he never has, so who knows if he could.

2) I don't know what to make of Jessica. She's an awesome person and I love her and wish her well, but she's hypnotizing people and eating them. What is that? Everyday teen stupidity, like drunk driving or being mean to the fat kid? Serious crime? An essential part of vampire nature? I guess it's best that we don't know.

3) Showing us Secret Agent Bill opened up a lot of possibilities. Right up to this episode, I still thought there was a chance that Sophie Anne and Bill were playing some kind of deep game against Russell.

4) More generally, this show has a habit that doomed Desperate Housewives -- the need to reveal something radical and undiscovered about most characters each season. Sam murdered his jewel thief girlfriend and her boyfriend! Lafayette's mother is magic crazy, and so is he! Eric's father was killed in a werewolf attack and he's been hunting for vengeance for 1000 years! Bill is a secret agent badass! (Yes, a dorky secret agent badass, but still . . .)

It works best when it explains something we already knew about the character, but fills in a gap. (Lafayette works all those jobs because he needs to support his magic crazy mother; Bill was in Bon Temps but is on a first name basis with the Queen because he was in Bon Temps on a mission for the Queen). It works less well when we already had what felt like a fairly complete story on that front. (Sam not only ran away from home and stole money from Mary Ann, but then he stole a bunch more money and killed some people, but that didn't cause any freakouts last season, not even when shifter-waitress-hog pulled the same thing on him - huh?).

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

A few (late) thoughts about the Season:

While Alan Ball (and/or Charlene Harris) have interesting ideas, would they try and develop any of them? Only a couple of episodes ago, King Russell declared war on "The Authority" by killing the Magister and then committing an on-air attrocity. So why aren't there a gang of vampire enforcers descending on his domain? Or state troopers/FBI come to that - he committed mass murder!? But no, we're more interested in Sookie being sparkly, apparently. And from what AB is saying, it's only going to get worse next Season - new powers! New supernaturals! Do something with what you've got now (let's see - vampires, werewolves, werepanthers, shifters, maenads, fairies, witches... I may have missed a couple) don't just throw more shit out there!

Oh and Ghostric (real or not) clearly hasn't read Machiavelli - "Do your enemies no small hurts". If you're going to act against somebody, go all out and (in this case) kill them - don't leave them around to brood and come back screaming for vengeance. King Russell was absolutely right about the fact that he'll survive and will be back eventually (I doubt it will take centuries, it'll probably be in the next couple of Seasons).

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

Bill was lying all of those times he denied having ulterior motives regarding Sookie; he confessed to everything when Eric forced him to admit the truth in the Season 3 finale. We know Bill was Sophie Anne's procurer, and watched him procure for Russell in season 3. Bill knew Sookie's cousin was living with Sophie Anne, but he never told Sookie where Hadley was living. He admitted that Sophie Anne sent him to procure Sookie because she suspected Sookie was a fae. He let the Rattrays beat her so he could establish a blood bond with Sookie, which he originally hoped would make her more compliant and let him take her to the queen. While he informed Sookie about the healing aspects of the blood and the emotional connection, he only told Sookie about the sexual aspects of the bond when he was forced to do so after Eric tricked her in into drinking his blood in Season 2.

I think that's the key to the whole matter: Bill kept the fae to himself and he has lied so much and to so many people about it, that I can't believe he's not lying to himself as well.

Edited by zomb, Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:01 AM.

Katrinawitch

Katrinawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

Just watched this episode last night, and loved it. Season 3 is the best so farl, IMO. So many thoughts, but a lot have been already expressed by others here.

I just wanted to chime in to say I *heart* Terry sooooo much! He's one of the more sweetly endearing characters on television, and even though there's a bit of drama with he and Arlene and the potential demon baby, his 'human' storyline is a nice bit of lighter slightly comic relief, what with all the supernatural craziness going on.

Smart Sookie is back and just in time. The maniacal laughter as she In-sink-erated Talbot's remains, rescinding invitations left and right. Good for her.

Oh gosh, that was so funny! I rewound that scene three or four times, it was so hilarious. I also loved Ginger washing out Talbot's crystal jar in the next Fangtasia scene.

When I saw Tara's hair in the sink, I had an Empire Records moment and said "Yeah, it's still in the sink if you want to glue it".

Edited by Katrinawitch, Jun 22, 2012 @ 8:27 AM.