The Music of SAMCRO

• Please log in to reply

31 replies to this topic

aliceanna

aliceanna

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 4:32 AM

(Feel free to come up with clever titles, it's late and I wasn't feeling very witty.)

I love the music on the show, and the S3 premiere was no exception, starting with the opening song, which I knew I knew, but was sure I'd never heard that version. A little investigating showed that it was a cover of an old Herman's Hermits (!) song, "No Milk Today," done, as so many of the songs on the show are, by the pairing of an evocative singer (in this case, singer-songwriter Joshua James) with SOA's "house band" The Forest Rangers.

The Richard Thompson song at the end, "Dad's Gonna Kill Me" was another amazing choice--and not at all obvious, which might be my favorite thing about the songs SOA uses (well, using the Dropkick Murphys' "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye" in S1 for the hit on Clay and Cameron in the Irish bar was a little obvious, but I don't care, because I love it!). I think using an Iraq war song was especially poignant since it starts up at Half Sack's wake, with some of his Army comrades there and mention of how he came through the war only to die in a kitchen. (According to many sites, "Dad" is American GI slang for Baghdad.

Alan Sepinwall's blog lists the other two songs used in the episode as The Sadies' "Sunset to Dawn" and The Chimpz's "Home Invasion." You might want to take that with a grain of salt, though, since he got the artist who covered "No Milk Today" wrong.

You can buy "No Milk" along with other Forest Rangers songs and two EPs of songs from the first two seasons on iTunes or through the Forest Rangers facebook page (their facebook also says Katey recorded another song for use in ep 3x04).

ThatGrrl

ThatGrrl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 9:20 AM

I'm hoping that this season's Irish theme means more Richard Thompson. Sure, he's British, but he has the right sound for that kind of season. He's definitely a balladeer in the style of Irish folk singers. For those looking for the CD containing "Dad's Gonna Kill Me," it's on "Sweet Warrior" which was released in 2009. But you can't go wrong with Richard Thompson. He's fantastic. Wonder if anyone in SAMCRO owns a 1952 Vincent among their bikes?

Boobala

Boobala

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 10:49 AM

I think using an Iraq war song was especially poignant since it starts up at Half Sack's wake, with some of his Army comrades there and mention of how he came through the war only to die in a kitchen. (According to many sites, "Dad" is American GI slang for Baghdad.

Thanks for that - the song was haunting enough when I thought he was referring to a flesh-and-blood "Dad" - it's amazingly even better with that explanation.

LOVE the music ... it's fueling my Biker Mix, which was begun after the brilliant use of "Son's Gonna Rise" by Citizen Cope last (i think) season ...

SO glad TWoP graced this show with its own real estate. Deserving.

vadare

vadare

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 8:13 AM

Don't know who was singing it, but the song used at the end of last night's episode was a hymn called "Be Thou My Vision". It is an old Irish hymn (6th Century), originally written in Gaelic but (of course) translated into English several centuries ago. Very beautiful!

I don't know whose version they were using last night, but Van Morrison has a beautiful version of the song on one of his albums. I had a grad-school roommate who would play her CD copy of it and hit "repeat" on it over and over again when she was in a bad mood. Picked her right up. It was a good thing that I liked it, too.

I've got a hunch that says, some time this season, they are going to dip into some Lorrena McKinnett. I can feel it in my Irish bones.

IdesOfSmarch

IdesOfSmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2010 @ 8:37 PM

Shiny Eyes by Flatfoot 56 played when Chibs was reunited with Fiona & Kerrianne. Really good song.

BabyAngelPants

BabyAngelPants

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 1, 2010 @ 10:27 PM

I must say the highlight of last episode was that the opening shots prompted me to pull out my old Black 47 albums for some fore spins!

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 12:36 AM

Both this series and The Shield have some fantastic music. Maybe it's the Kurt Sutter effect?

Even though I'm not religious (at all), the Season One finale's version of "John the Revelator" is truly a masterpiece, even more so when viewed in the episode itself.

All three soundtrack albums are decent, but the first one ("North Country") features both that track and the awesome version of "Girl from the North Country" from Season Two's premiere.

kitaweta22

kitaweta22

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 3, 2011 @ 10:29 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew the song playing over the guys getting released from prison?

Blue Banrigh

Blue Banrigh

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 12:55 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew the song playing over the guys getting released from prison?

Coal War by Joshua James.

BonnieD

BonnieD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 7:38 AM

Someone know the song title and artist for the closing number this week (Dolyrus episode)? Thanks

LazyBum1115

LazyBum1115

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2011 @ 9:50 AM

Someone know the song title and artist for the closing number this week (Dolyrus episode)?

All of This Could Have Been Yours by Shooter Jennings

happy turtles

happy turtles

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 4:25 PM

I was intrigued by that Spanish version of The Times They Are A-Changin. Any ideas who the artist is?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 8:56 PM

According to this site, itís "Los Tiempos Van Cambiando (The Times They Are A-Changiní)" [from Sons of Anarchy] by Franky Perez & Los Guardianes Del Bosque. I loved it.

IdesOfSmarch

IdesOfSmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

Great tumblr for SoA music: http://sounds-of-anarchy.tumblr.com/

carnivale

carnivale

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 30, 2011 @ 11:47 AM

I noticed the 1st and 2nd seasons used a few Black Mountain songs, they're an amazing band!

prop joe

prop joe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Episode 3 of season 4 has Jason Isbell's 'Go It Alone'. Fantastic song. And in general, rarely is there a tv show with better music!

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

Entertainment Weekly has the first two minutes of the Season 5 premiere. Anyone know who does this version of "Higher Ground"?

Edited by Raider Duck, Jul 26, 2012 @ 7:21 PM.

marriedaniac

marriedaniac

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

The answer to the Higher Ground question above...

Songs of Anarchy: Volume 2 coming soon!

Katey Sagal's cover this season will be To Sir With Love.

Jane's Addiction will cover Sympathy For The Devil for the season finale.

Edited by marriedaniac, Nov 1, 2012 @ 12:51 AM.

lambie

lambie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Was that a Bob Mould song playing over the closing montage this week? I loved the song, I didn't get shazam open in time to find out what it was. Anyone know?

kitaweta22

kitaweta22

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

was that a Bob Mould song playing over the closing montage this week? I loved the song, I didn't get shazam open in time to find out what it was. Anyone know?

It was The Whistler by White Buffalo.

lambie

lambie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Thank you, kitaweta!

spiritfox

spiritfox

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 2:54 AM

I really enjoyed the song that plays when Nero is playing chicken with the guys chasing Jax. Spanish hip-hop, with a repeating chorus of "vamonos!" - anybody know the song?

GWHH

GWHH

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 12:45 AM

Is any one else sick of the Indy, garage band, unknown but cool band songs? It's seem like every show gets a longer and longer song of crap rock at the end. Can we please stop that. Anyone else dislike that stuff also?

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 6:06 PM

Indy as in independent or Indy as in Indie? If the former, it's a crapshoot. If the latter, there are some great bands in that genre.

Edited by Skyfall, Dec 15, 2013 @ 7:04 PM.

BiteMeBilly

BiteMeBilly

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

I actually like a lot of the music on SoA- not all of it, but a lot of it.  The show introduced Joshua James to me, and he's quickly become one of my favorite singer-songwriters.  There is a vulnerability in his voice that I love.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Dec 15, 2013 @ 11:43 PM

I moved these last three posts from the new thread to this preexisting music thread. 

Edited by TWoP Howard, Dec 15, 2013 @ 11:43 PM.

ladymira

ladymira

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 5, 2014 @ 1:32 PM

Does anyone know who sang the version of You Are My Sunshine this season?   I looked on the cds I don't see it listed, is it coming out on the next one?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jan 7, 2014 @ 10:21 PM

According to this, it was performed by Jamey Johnson, Twiggy Ramirez, and Shooter Jennings from Black Country. I couldn't find anything about the CD yet. 

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2014 @ 8:17 PM

The music is great on this show, I was wondering if they have to get rights to play all of this incredible  music? I  thought it was a very expensive process and difficult to do?

Edited by Xbones, Jan 29, 2014 @ 8:17 PM.

samcro33

samcro33

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2014 @ 5:02 PM

Most of the bands they use are independent and not really well known, thus they don't cost as much.  As for the covers, they use they're own band (the forest rangers) as well as a singer from one of the previous independent bands instead of the actual original song which i expect would cost a crap ton of money.