Filip "Chibs" Telford: Unflappable AND Incomprehensible

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 12:03 PM

Likewise and creating another thread for Chibs.

I'm torn about his role in S3. I'm glad for his increased role in it but I also tend to worry about that increased role as it tends to lead to bad things and possibly (and this is just a guess mind you) him getting killed off. I wouldn't be surprised if his happened to him or a family member of his (hopefully, not his daughter). I'd be pissed but I wouldn't be surprised.

Anything anyone wants to add?

Please don’t use spoiler bars on speculation. Also, any real spoilers go in the Spoiler thread only. Thanks. –TWoP Howard

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 7, 2010 @ 1:34 PM.

IdesOfSmarch

IdesOfSmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 12:46 PM

After Jax, Chibs is my favorite member so I'd much rather someone close to him (Fiona or Kerrianne) get killed off instead of him. With Jimmy O being a big presence in this season, there's bound to be lots of angst for Chibs, which is great for the actor but makes me nervous as a fan of the character.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 7, 2010 @ 1:34 PM.
Removed unnecessary spoiler bars

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 6:18 PM

Mea culpa, Howard.

If a member of Telford family were to bite it, I'd rather it be Fiona. I don't want Jax to (hopefully) get Abel back only to have Chibs lose his daughter in return. That would be cruel. Besides, if Gemma is scared of Fiona you know she can't be good news. As for the man himself, anytime his past comes back to haunt him, I always start to worry for his well being. I hope he's around for the long haul but I wouldn't be surprised if something drastic did happen to him or his own.

I also hope that Chibs finally punches Jimmy O. in the face at some point this season. Just because it's Jimmy.

Edited by sekhet7, Sep 7, 2010 @ 6:21 PM.

Allie J

Allie J

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:41 PM

Do we know why Chibs is called "Chibs"? I can't remember any reference to it in any of the episodes, and it doesn't seem to come from his name. Is "chibs" Scottish slang for anything?

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:48 PM

Do we know why Chibs is called "Chibs"? I can't remember any reference to it in any of the episodes, and it doesn't seem to come from his name. Is "chibs" Scottish slang for anything?

A "chib" is a slang word for knife or blade in the UK/Ireland area. They probably gave him that nickname because of the scars on his face. If you look closely during the opening credits, a switch blade appears just before Tommy Flanagan's name pops up. That's a chib, basically.

I'm glad to see this thread again. Hopefully, it'll get some more activity after tomorrow night's episode.

Edited by sekhet7, Oct 25, 2010 @ 9:49 PM.

CtLady

CtLady

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 10:20 AM

I have a strange feeling that Chibs will wind up staying in Belfast and become either Pres or VP of SAMBEL due to Jimmy O and possibly McGee/O'Neil going down. This will reunite him with Fiona and Kerrianne and live as a family. His loss to SAMCRO will open up for Kozik

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:03 PM

I have a strange feeling that Chibs will wind up staying in Belfast and become either Pres or VP of SAMBEL due to Jimmy O and possibly McGee/O'Neil going down. This will reunite him with Fiona and Kerrianne and live as a family. His loss to SAMCRO will open up for Kozik

I hope not. I like having Chibs around. Also, he can't. I believe the IRA had him exiled not from just Belfast but from all of Ireland (that's one of the reasons why he went to America). Besides, SAMBEL already has a VP who would take over if McGee were to go down. Chibs isn't part of that charter's hierarchy (and if he were going back to SAMBEL, he'd have to request a transfer and be voted in first). If he were to be reunited with his family, it would make more sense if he took them back to America with him where they would actually be safe. Of course, there's no sure way that either his wife or his daughter might make it out of SAMCRO's field trip to Belfast in one piece (especially since Fiona keeps saying that Jimmy is going to kill her if she gets caught...that could be another plot anvil about to drop). If Chibs does anything in Belfast, it has to be something to possibly set him off and have him going out for Jimmy's blood.

Also, there are more members in SAMCRO than the chruch scenes lead to believe. If Kozik were to join, all they'd have to do is grab another chair.

Edited by sekhet7, Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:06 PM.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 12:28 PM

Also, there are more members in SAMCRO than the chruch scenes lead to believe. If Kozik were to join, all they'd have to do is grab another chair.

I am curious what exactly gives you this idea? The members of SAMCRO are required to attend church (when Jax said he was going Nomad he said he would attend church wherever he was). Plus in every church scene it is always all the same guys attending. So who else is a member of the Redwood Originals that doesn't attend church?

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 1:23 PM

I am curious what exactly gives you this idea? The members of SAMCRO are required to attend church (when Jax said he was going Nomad he said he would attend church wherever he was). Plus in every church scene it is always all the same guys attending. So who else is a member of the Redwood Originals that doesn't attend church?

Those who do not attend Church are usually out on a mandatory ride. You have to attend Church if you are not on a ride, not in the hospital or not in jail. Also, it's probably just from extras walking around in cuts that say Redwood Original and the pictures of other members on the Wall Of Mug Shots.

Anyway, to keep this post Chibs related....do you think we'll learn anything new about his past tonight concerning his history with the IRA? I also think something is going to happen with his family. Not sure what exactly but something will have to give.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 2:09 PM

Those who do not attend Church are usually out on a mandatory ride. You have to attend Church if you are not on a ride, not in the hospital or not in jail. Also, it's probably just from extras walking around in cuts that say Redwood Original and the pictures of other members on the Wall Of Mug Shots.

Replied in the SAMCRO orginization thread.

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2010 @ 2:01 AM

Shall we discuss his new look? Or the odds of him getting his hands on Jimmy O.?

LazyBum1115

LazyBum1115

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 26, 2010 @ 11:09 AM

As much as Iíd love to see Chibs get to take out Jimmy O, I think the odds of that are somewhere in the ballpark of winning the lotto and getting struck by lightning Ė in the same day.

geminigirl789

geminigirl789

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2011 @ 4:43 PM

Maybe not quite as funny as Chib's whiskey juice box, but I wonder if we'll see him with one of these in S4?
http://www.scottishs...whisky_can.html

michiganman

michiganman

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2011 @ 12:17 AM

Tommy Flanagan was at Bike week in Daytona last week, was hanging out with a friend of mine, he was very Cool, very normal and great in person, also just to give you all a heads up, since no one is watching Detroit 187, Tommy will be appearing in the season Finale sunday Night at 10pm on ABC. He plays a Real Bad guy who is harassing Michael Imperioli's character Fitch. Check it out and help raise the ratings for it so it will be Renewed. peace out!!

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 18, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

Iíve been watching, but I didnít pick up on why the mob guy looked familiar. Thanks for pointing it out.

starwolf

starwolf

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 11:23 PM

Did Chibs patch Juice in? Given Chibs concern for Juice this season, it seems possible.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:26 PM

I hereby dub the language this character speaks: Chibberish.

Yeah, I came to a mostly-dormant thread on a hiatus show just to post this.

Edited by kieyra, Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:27 PM.

Mrs Tvbug

Mrs Tvbug

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

I came to read just because I miss the show.  I miss chibs.  Chibberish.  Ha!

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 2:47 AM

So I'm watching on Netflix (I'm up to S3) and Chibs is pretty much my favorite character so I'm really glad we're starting to get more of his background. I do have a nagging question though about his immigration status. It seems impossible that given his background and association with the IRA that he would be able to immigrate and get get a green card legally, but he never gets threatened with deportation. Even when Stahl was trying to get him to inform in S2 she never threatened to get NIS involved and as many times as he's been arrested or in the hospitial it's never come up. Does this ever get addressed?

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

Shall we discuss his new look?

The scars on his face don't seem as prominent this season.  I wonder if he's had work done, or if it's just extra makeup. I don't mean it in a snarky way. I love the actor and his character, (well, almost as much as I love Kim Coates as Tig).  Maybe it's just the lighting. Has anyone else noticed this?

I do have a nagging question though about his immigration status.

Sutter never addresses that shit. Half of them should be back in prison for probation violations.

Edited by marleyfan, Sep 13, 2013 @ 11:14 AM.

fuzzybear

fuzzybear

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

And I'm on to S4 now. What the hell happened to Chibs family? I guess we're supposed to just assume they stayed behind in Ireland but its weird that its just been dropped without a mention. In fact I thought the way the writers handled the Chibs family storyline was pretty bad in general. We get all this lead up implying that Fiona is crazy and NOT TO BE TRUSTED and the Jimmy O some how took Chib's family and forced him to hide out in the USA or something and then we finally get to Ireland and its all kind of nothing. Fiona and CarrieAnne are there to meet Chibs as soon as SAMCRO lands, Fiona is loyal to Chibs and tells Jimmy O to fuck off, CarrieAnne accepts Chibs as her dad after one hug, we never really get details on what happened between Jimmy O, Chibs, and Fiona or even when it happened (really how long has it been since Chibs saw his family?) and then we're in S4 with nary a mention of any of it. Seriously not even Gemma asking about CarrieAnn or Chibs talking on the phone with Fiona. Nothing. And that's why I hate the Ireland/Able kidnapp story. The writers dragged out every little aspect of that story (It took them about 4 episodes brooding about it before they even went) and then just let some of the better subplots fade away.