Harry "Opie" Winston: Still Married to Donna in His Mind

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

14 replies to this topic

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 11:56 AM

Figured I'd take advantage and start the thread for Opie.

Looks like he'll be playing the support role this season but I wouldn't count out him doing anything rash as he tends to do such things. Care to add or dispute?

Whiteotter

Whiteotter

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 11:19 AM

I have a lot of love for Opie, and have since S1.

On re-watching the S3 premiere, I noticed that Opie took the lead in almost every scene where Jax was concerned: he's not only the first (or among the first) to get to Jax's side in almost every scene, he also wordlessly stands in for Jax when Jax can't deal with the situation. When SOA first goes to Jax's house, Clay is first on the doorstep, but Opie brushes past him to get to Jax, and literally carries him in the next scene. At the marina, he's right behind Clay (in the VP spot) on the dock, when Jax hangs back because he's afraid that Abel's body may be on the boat. Opie and Bobby are the ones who drag Jax off the drive-by shooter in the final scene, while everyone else (except Clay) just stares in shock/disbelief.

Even in his fog of grief, Jax still reciprocates, stopping to help clear the razorwire off of Opie's leg when they're chasing the guys from the marina. It's a small moment, but in every other scene (barring the final one) Jax is prompted by someone else - Clay in particular - to action; when he sees Opie in trouble, he immediately and instinctively stops to help. I love the loyalty and friendship between these two.

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 12:17 PM

Thinking about what may happen, I wonder if Kozik does come back to SAMCRO if Opie and him will form some sort of alliance. They both hold a grudge against Tig after all. If they traded stories or started to get along with each other because of this, it could open up some serious possibilities.

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 2:26 PM

Anyone thought of a tag name for this thread?

I got one: "Big Red" or better yet "Take Off That Damn Hat."

Anyway, tonight's episode should be Opie heavy so hopefully there will be something to discuss here.

Squirrtle

Squirrtle

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

I totally did not know his first name was Harry...or his last name was Winston. Without the Opie he'd sound like an accountant.

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 21, 2010 @ 11:02 PM

I totally did not know his first name was Harry...or his last name was Winston. Without the Opie he'd sound like an accountant.

Ha! Actually, Harry Winston is the name of a high priced jewelry store. No lie. I personally prefer to call him Henry when I see him do something stupid. It just seems more classy.

Sisera

Sisera

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 11:30 PM

I personally prefer to call him Henry when I see him do something stupid. It just seems more classy.

I would love to see Charlie Hunnam pull out the accent and be all, "Badly done, Henry. Badly done," And shake his head in classy, british dissapointment.

Smilesport

Smilesport

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 8:55 AM

I love Opie and at this point I only watch for him, Chibs and Tig. The rest can pretty much suck it. Despite looking like he's in desperate need of a bath and a hair washing I would do very bad things with Opie (I know TMI).

I don't really watch this show very often but the girl I think her name was Donna, was that Opie's wife or girlfriend and did they have kids?

happy turtles

happy turtles

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 3:07 PM

Donna was Opie's wife, and they have--I think--two kids, a son and a daughter. I've seen every episode, and I'm even unsure about the kids because since Opie rarely sees them, the same goes for us!

swtp15

swtp15

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 9:03 PM

Yes a son, Kenny and a daughter, Ellie. They have only been in maybe 3 episodes

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 9:15 PM

Opie may see his kids more than we know. This show doesn't really focus on it's secondary character's lives all that much.

I always wonder why Opie gets criticized for not seeing his kids when Tig has two daughters but NEVER sees them or mentions them. Bobby Elvis has a kid (or is it kids) and doesn't see him/her or pay his child support. Even Jax is absent from Able's life more than need be. I think Opie is as good, if not better, a dad than most all the guys in the MC that have kids. We just don't see him with his kids 'cause Sutter chooses not to focus on the home life of the guys in the club. It's all about Jax/Tara or Gemma/Clay. All of whom have begun to bore me. I'd take Opie/Chibs and even Tig storylines over the principle characters any day.

I love Hurst with long hair and I've grown to accept that beard. But, oh, how I do miss his clean shaven baby face. He looks like a totally different person.

Really, I watch for him and Chibs only.

trinitygirl

trinitygirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 25, 2010 @ 9:46 PM

Yes a son, Kenny and a daughter, Ellie. They have only been in maybe 3 episodes

I make it ten episodes - slightly more in second season than the first, but we haven't seen them at all this season that I can remember.

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 26, 2010 @ 1:17 AM

Opie may see his kids more than we know. This show doesn't really focus on it's secondary character's lives all that much.

I always wonder why Opie gets criticized for not seeing his kids when Tig has two daughters but NEVER sees them or mentions them. Bobby Elvis has a kid (or is it kids) and doesn't see him/her or pay his child support. Even Jax is absent from Able's life more than need be. I think Opie is as good, if not better, a dad than most all the guys in the MC that have kids. We just don't see him with his kids 'cause Sutter chooses not to focus on the home life of the guys in the club. It's all about Jax/Tara or Gemma/Clay. All of whom have begun to bore me. I'd take Opie/Chibs and even Tig storylines over the principle characters any day.

Opie is not the worst father in SAMCRO but he's not the best either (I think that honor goes to Chibs. Even though he was forced to stay away from his daughter for all those years, the first thing he tried to do was make amends and restore that relationship as best as he could and he was pretty successful considering. Also, I'm partial because I thought they were awesome together). I noticed that we never saw them at the clubhouse when he left for Belfast or when he returned either nor did he even bother to make a mention of them of any kind either time. Those would have been good opportunities to do so. Mentioning them would have been enough for me but the show didn't, so I have to hold it against them.

I also seem to prefer the secondary characters but Opie needs to make some changes if he is go to back to some form of what he was in S1. Removing Lyla from the equation is a good place to start (at least for me).

I love Hurst with long hair and I've grown to accept that beard. But, oh, how I do miss his clean shaven baby face. He looks like a totally different person.

Like the long hair, needs to trim the beard. I like the S3 Opie look in a sense of accuracy (old school bikers do look like that) and also that he looks like a big, sexy Viking. What? He does. I think Chibs has it right...hair tied back in a ponytail but with the facial hair nice and trimmed. He has it down to a science and it looks good on him (it seems that whatever Jax and Opie try to do look wise, Chibs does it better).

Really, I watch for him and Chibs only.

I watch for them and Kozik as well. But if Kozik leaves and Opie continues to make stupid decisions, I think I may be on a Chibs only viewing diet for a while. But at least Ryan Hurst still brings the pretty and I can be thankful for that.

Edited by sekhet7, Nov 26, 2010 @ 1:20 AM.

GoodyGoody

GoodyGoody

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:13 PM

Could someone please fill me in on what happened to Donna? I didn't see S1 and what happened to her seems like a big plot point. Thanks!

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:44 PM

Could someone please fill me in on what happened to Donna? I didn't see S1 and what happened to her seems like a big plot point. Thanks!

Agent Stahl set it up to make Opie look like a rat who would turn against SAMCRO and move his family into WITPRO (which wasn't the case at all) and when Opie and Donna refused, she had bugs planted in his truck and while Opie told the others what was going on, Tig found one of the bugs and that led Clay and him to believe that Opie really had turned and they put a hit on him without the others knowing. Tig tried once to kill Opie on a mission but he couldn't do it. He tried again during Abel's home coming but Donna switched cars with Opie without Tig knowing (because Donna had to run an errand while Opie took the kids home) so instead of killing Opie, he got Donna instead (Clay told Tig to make it look like a gangster drive by so he didn't look before he shot at the truck).

And that's the jist of it.