Sons in the Media

• Please log in to reply

266 replies to this topic

bluenote123

bluenote123

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

You know you have arrived when the New York Times is giving you ink and analysis.

Gabria13

Gabria13

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 11:05 PM

Maureen Ryan on Season Three

FX sent the first four episodes of the season for review, and they very much feel like the opening act of a play; threads that start out separate are, by the fourth episode, woven together in a forceful and satisfactory way.

photoshopgirl

photoshopgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 9:42 AM

Seems the actor wanted out.
http://blogs.sites.p...anarchy-shocker

I'm still sad. :(

mercury33

mercury33

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 3:04 PM

Alan Sepinwall writes some great review and analysis.

http://www.hitfix.co...s-gonna-kill-me

Here is an interview with Kurt Sutter previewing Season Three:

http://tinyurl.com/2e6gcu6

hozedhead

hozedhead

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

Seems the actor wanted out.

Not according to this LA Times article

There are also links to a few other new articles about SOA on the page I referenced.

Edited by hozedhead, Sep 8, 2010 @ 10:30 PM.

Allie J

Allie J

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 2:32 PM

You can always get some excellent insight, straight from the creator's own mouth, on Kurt Sutter's blog.

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 11:04 PM

This came from a section of TV Guide called Mega Buzz It answers the sixty-thousand dollar question about Hale:

Why did Sons Of Anarchy kill off Hale?

Creator and executive producer Kurt Sutter says his writing team developed a "Plan B" in case the contract negotiations with the actor, Taylor Sheridan, went south. "Ultimately, we all creatively fell in love with Plan B, and that became the decision and we moved ahead," Sutter says, noting that the decision also allows new character growth for Unser. "What happens when Unser has to actually be a cop?" Sutter asks. "Everything he does, even his relationship with Sons, has been about protecting Charming. He really has to decide this season between Charming and the Sons."

It's a bummer they didn't keep Hale but I can see why they did it now. Unser is in a real rock and a hard place situation.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 16, 2010 @ 5:55 AM.
Added quote tags

bluenote123

bluenote123

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2010 @ 2:39 AM

Here are two good recaps/analyses for episode 4.

Maureen Ryan

Alan Sepinwall

thatguy01

thatguy01

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2010 @ 11:30 AM

Link to old unpublished story about the Angels circa 1965.

http://jalopnik.com/...-angels-of-1965

vadare

vadare

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 7:29 AM

I should've put this in here awhile ago, but there is an interesting analysis of SOA in last week's National Review. The writer, Jonah Goldberg, says SOA is definitely one of the best shows on TV right now (he thinks Breaking Bad is the best) but goes on to elaborate on the Shakespeare angle as well as some other socio-political comments on the writing and also gives the acting very high praise.

I don't have the issue in front of me, but I can tell you there is a picture of Jimmy Carter made to look like one of those red and blue Obama campaign posters on the front of it.

Word of warning: National Review is a political magazine that is definitely right-of-center--in fact, is was pretty much all we on the right had back in the 60's--long before Rush and Fox News. But it is very cerebral (it was founded by William F. Buckley) and quite well-written.

lucid1

lucid1

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 6, 2010 @ 7:17 PM

E Online's article on the Jax & Tara baby

http://www.eonline.c...xpect_when.html

CtLady

CtLady

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2010 @ 9:53 AM

Nice review of Turning and Turning here

Although the reviewer says there isn't anything spoilery in the review - she mentioned something I believe is a spoiler regarding Jax definitely going to jail

Sharon

Sharon

Fanatic

Posted Oct 7, 2010 @ 2:50 PM

FX Picks Up 'Sons Of Anarchy' For Season 4:
http://www.deadline....y-for-season-4/

vadare

vadare

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:15 PM

This isn't exactly Sons in the Media, but it's MC's in the Media so I'm going to stick it here.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 7:35 PM

I still remember reading Sutter's angry posts/tweets about Katey not being nominated for an Emmy and thinking, "Oh, here comes the Gemma Show".

Not only that, but one of his recent blog entires had me fuming.

http://tinyurl.com/2edl2kp

Anyway, he said that he's read the complaints from a lot of fans recently on various boards. He explains what he thinks the problem is that SoA viewers fall in one of two camps. 1) those who like the brains of the show...and, 2) those that like the brawn. He's implying, or so it seems to me, that the 'brains' group love this season 'cause it's all about character developement. But, the 'brawn' (aka stupid people) don't like the season because there's not enough blood/guts/action. Blech!! to that. I don't care that much for this season 'cause they're not developing characters I love. I'm glad they're giving Op lots to do--well, kinda--'cause Opie is my fave. But, I so love Chibs and all he's been this season, thus far, is scenery. I know Chibs story-line will heat up once they get to Ireland...but, couldn't they give him a few lines here and there 'til then? Bobby and Juice really haven't faired much better. And, imo, Tig's been reduced to pining over Gemma and delivering funny one-liners this season.

Kurt's little blog entry pissed me off 'cause it ever so blatantly implied if you didn't like the show you didn't like character developement and therefore you just ain't that smart. I like Kurt most of the time but he really can be a jerk when people criticize the show. He reminds me of Tom Fontana who was one of the creators of the 90s series. "Homicide: Life On the Street". That was an awesome show and then he just started ruining some of the best characters and making it too soap-opera-ish. When fans complained, he basically said, (paraprased a tad :)) "Well, it's my show and may characters....and, I'll do what i want with them".

Viewers aren't stupid...well, most aren't. Avid fans know what they like and know what is best for the show, imo. Writers and creators are too close to be objective. They need to listen to fans and not insult them. They also need to remember that a TV show is a product and if the product loses it's quality...customers will go else where...even the brawny ones.

okay...back on topic of this ep :)

I think it's right that they may be setting Lyla up to be the one Tara turns to while Jax and especially, Gemma, are away. Other than Admin lady, Lyla will be her only female friend. I'd love to see them bond. But, given that doofus-ex-MC-prez dude (lol) is gunning for payback via hurting Tara...I'm wondering if Lyla might not get killed or something when he comes to get Tara. Geeze...that'd be awful. You just know someone will die in this situation. I don't want Tara gone...but, I don't want Lyla gone, either. Besides, we need her to finish telling Op whatever it was before he left.

Tara is baby, Clay is baby, Tig is baby. And yet Abel is "the kid". LOL

OMG! Priceless!

Edited by ttfr1, Oct 21, 2010 @ 7:44 PM.

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 8:33 PM

Anyway, he said that he's read the complaints from a lot of fans recently on various boards. He explains what he thinks the problem is that SoA viewers fall in one of two camps. 1) those who like the brains of the show...and, 2) those that like the brawn. He's implying, or so it seems to me, that the 'brains' group love this season 'cause it's all about character developement. But, the 'brawn' (aka stupid people) don't like the season because there's not enough blood/guts/action. Blech!! to that. I don't care that much for this season 'cause they're not developing characters I love. I'm glad they're giving Op lots to do--well, kinda--'cause Opie is my fave. But, I so love Chibs and all he's been this season, thus far, is scenery. I know Chibs story-line will heat up once they get to Ireland...but, couldn't they give him a few lines here and there 'til then? Bobby and Juice really haven't faired much better. And, imo, Tig's been reduced to pining over Gemma and delivering funny one-liners this season.

Viewers aren't stupid...well, most aren't. Avid fans know what they like and know what is best for the show, imo. Writers and creators are too close to be objective. They need to listen to fans and not insult them. They also need to remember that a TV show is a product and if the product loses it's quality...customers will go else where...even the brawny ones.

It's no longer just the fans either. Alan Sepinwall wrote a review of Widening Gyre panning it and basically saying that he wants the show to go back to the way it was in season two (which you can read here). However, Kurt Sutter did notice that some of the actors weren't exactly thrilled with the fact that they had nothing to do either so perhaps in S4 he will go back to what made the first two seasons great-the fact that every character had a part to play and nothing was wasted. But the show has better ramp up the main storyline or people will get disinterested quickly (hell, even The Wire started to pick up its pace around episode seven). There's only so many setup episodes a show can do for one season.

Edited by sekhet7, Oct 21, 2010 @ 9:33 PM.

Leroyiscrazy

Leroyiscrazy

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 9:28 PM

Kurt wrote that blog post a month ago. Why is such a big deal all of a sudden?

lottiedottie

lottiedottie

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 9:44 PM

I like Kurt most of the time but he really can be a jerk when people criticize the show.

You are far more generous than I am. I think he's a whiny, self-absorbed dick. Who clearly can't take criticism. Season 1, good. Season 2, really good. I had no interest in watching SOA until I saw one of the first couple episodes from Season 2--and I was hooked. I had been anticipating Season 3 (like all of you) and so far, it's a big fat WTF. We're about to have the 8th episode and I'm at the point where I need to have this shit wrapped up because it's just becoming too stupid to continue watching.

ttfr1

ttfr1

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 10:22 PM

Leroyiscrazy, it's important to me 'cause I just now read it. Guess I shouldn't have called it 'recent'...but, I didn't look at the date. What was important to me was the fact that he just insulted a large portion of his viewing audience. He can bitch about TPTB and wannabe critics all he wants...but, don't mess with the viewer. Who does he think's making this show a success, anyway? Better shows have been axed for lack of viewers.

Criticism is a writers friend. No one wants the show to fail. I love SoA and even now, in it's less than stellar state, I enjoy it. However, it's just not as good as it was. There are unbelievable plot devices like Gemma's escape from the hospital just so she can go to Ireland. If Kurt wanted Gemma in Ireland, why put her in the hospital in the first place. He could have figured out an equally dramatic way to have her find out about 'the kid' (hehe)...a way that didn't include her having to devise a totally over-the-top escape from a hospital that should have had more security. I mean, geeze...really, Sutter? I guess he thought Gemma's stay in the hospital was necessary for all the dramatic plotlines that surrounded it...like with Stahl and Tara and loving moments with Clay. I like a lot of those moments but couldn't they have still happened in another setting at another time? I don't know, it's gotten to the point where it seems he's writing this show day to day with no plan or focus...just whatever pops in his head. I know he says he has a plan...but, I wonder.

I love the show. I don't relish criticizing it. As is, it's still a good show, imo. But, it used to be a GREAT show. I just want it to get back to that. Character development is my favorite thing in any show. This show is, or was, a character driven series...now the only characters getting much attention seem to be Tara and Gemma. I wouldn't have a problem with that if it was a bit more evenly distributed. The show is at it's best when he focuses on the guys and those they love...but, the guys should be the main focus.

You are far more generous than I am. I think he's a whiny, self-absorbed dick. Who clearly can't take criticism.

Well, I just read some more of his blog. Let's just say, I'm liking him less and less. It's tough being a creative person. Artists are always sensitive...but, damn, it's not like he's new to the business. The way he whines I'm shocked he's survived Hollywood this long.

Morrolan

Morrolan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2010 @ 5:38 PM

It's no longer just the fans either. Alan Sepinwall wrote a review of Widening Gyre panning it and basically saying that he wants the show to go back to the way it was in season two (which you can read here).

Sepinwall says it perfectly: "it's well past time to see the Sons in Belfast, because the reasons for delaying them haven't been dramatically interesting enough to justify all this time."

vadare

vadare

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 6:54 AM

A few posts back, I posted that the political magazine National Review had done a story on SOA.

They have now put it on their web site and have put it in front of (as opposed to behind) the firewall.

Here it is.

Edited by vadare, Oct 25, 2010 @ 6:55 AM.

trinitygirl

trinitygirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 25, 2010 @ 3:05 PM

thanks Vadare - great article.

sekhet7

sekhet7

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:19 AM

Another great review from Sepinwall, this time about Lochan Mor. Read it here.

CtLady

CtLady

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 10:27 AM

Sutter tweeted an hour ago:

sutterink seems like folks dug our 1st international ep. got an email from larry kirwin of black 47, loved the use of "big fella". b47 is a great band

I tweeted him the link to the TWoP SOA forum for his reading enjoyment. I don't know what folks 'dug' last night's ep, but judging from the response I've read on here it sure wasn't many here.

lucid1

lucid1

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 12:13 PM

I don't know where Kurt is getting his info but I'm seeing alot of frustration & disappointment on the boards about the episode and season overall

Allie J

Allie J

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2010 @ 1:44 PM

sutterink seems like folks dug our 1st international ep. got an email from larry kirwin of black 47, loved the use of "big fella". b47 is a great band

Oh, that was B47. They play at Connolly's. I love Connolly's.

I wrote earlier in the season that it felt like Sutter had decided that he didn't want the Sons to reach Belfast before a certain point in the season, and that he then worked backwards to come up with obstacles to keep them from getting there sooner. I'm not saying that's how the actual writing process went - I wasn't there and don't know - but rather how it's come across.

I think Sepinwall really nailed it here.

BabyAngelPants

BabyAngelPants

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 12:03 PM

Good interview with Tig here:
http://www.tvsquad.c...ates-interview/

RFuller42

RFuller42

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 12:58 PM

Maureen Ryan and Ryan McGee have done a podcast in which they discuss SOA at length (30+ minutes). The SOA discussion begins around minute 43 and goes until the end of the podcast.

Warning - it does contain spoilers so if you haven't watched through "Lochan Mor" and don't want to be spoiled, don't listen.

Edited by RFuller42, Oct 28, 2010 @ 1:00 PM.

lottiedottie

lottiedottie

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 28, 2010 @ 2:09 PM

I tweeted him the link to the TWoP SOA forum for his reading enjoyment. I don't know what folks 'dug' last night's ep, but judging from the response I've read on here it sure wasn't many here.

Oh, I'm sure he'll just complain that we're all assholes who just don't get the genius behind it. I will say though, the people on Facebook seem to love blowing smoke up his ass and always seem to be posting accolades. Maybe that's who dug it?

CtLady

CtLady

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2010 @ 4:02 PM

Maureen Ryan's Review of Lochan Mor

Seems she's a 'Happy fan' too!