4-7: "The Suitcase" 2010.09.05 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

752 replies to this topic

alynch

alynch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 9:40 PM

A deadline disrupts Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 9:53 PM

Best episode EVER...with only Don and Peegy mostly, yet a mountain of juicy goodness to process!!!

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

Best episode of the season for me, hands down. Peggy has long been one of my favorite characters (since Day 1, pretty much) and I love her and Don's interactions.

Poor Don. I knew as soon as they showed the previouslys that Anna had died.

Our local AMC affiliate was running ads for rehab during the episode. Given Don's recent behavior as well as the resurgence of Duck, this seemed strangely appropriate.

I hate the art director. Least favorite character ever...

OoogleEyes

OoogleEyes

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

Wow...what an awesome episode.
Where is Sal??? I hope to dawg that he comes back.

Edited by OoogleEyes, Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:03 PM.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

Holy crap! almost perfect. Almost perfect. How long have I waited for Don and Peggy to have alone time: hash-it-out, beat-each-other-up, stake-out-common-ground, time.

Jon & Elisabeth looked like they were loving it as much as I was!

Anna's death broke my heart. I will miss her. I started bawling two seconds after Jon Hamm did.

thebigchill

thebigchill

Couch Potato

That was wonderful. I love Don and Peggy's relationship.

CarolfromAlabam

CarolfromAlabam

Loyal Viewer

Don actually moved me to tears. I'm still wiping them away. What a Samosonite full of awesome!

vvh3

vvh3

Couch Potato

Wow. They BOTH cried.

Dianaofthehunt

Dianaofthehunt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

There's so much to process with this episode that we can't watch the repeat. We have to let this one roll around in our heads for a while.
Elizabeth Moss !

markie

markie

Video Archivist

Absolutely loved this episode. Again. we see why Mad Men has won the Emmy for best drama three times in a row.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

100%.

The only way it would be 102% would be if it were just Don and Peggy for the whole hour.

Hand-on-hand mirrored Episode 1.

Chikibun

Chikibun

Channel Surfer

What an amazing episode,

That ending, wow.

Due for another watch; right away!

YpsiYvonne

YpsiYvonne

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

I cried when Anna's vision appeared to Don. OMG, I didn't know I cared that much!!

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

I loved this episode. LOVED it.

Don and Peggy are the best couple ever. I'm not exactly sure what kind of couple they are, but they're the best.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

Wow. That was amazing--and totally believable somehow. There's probably a ton in it that I didn't catch. But it was amazing how many things Don dropped about himself to Peggy--is he actually integrating his true persona into Don Draper? I guess we'll see. Leave that door open, Don!

shriekingeel

shriekingeel

Couch Potato

GREAT episode. I loved Don and Peggy groping their way in the dark towards what would become the famous Samsonite "gorilla" commercial, and letting it slip away with that stupid "champ" idea.

YoureSoUrban

YoureSoUrban

Couch Potato

Elizabeth Moss's performance absolutely blew me away.

kraked

kraked

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

God, Don is such a dick.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:08 PM

Excellent. It was so hard to tell exactly where Don and Peggy were going to go, how much each would tell the other. It was wonderful.

Duck almost took a dump on Roger's white chair! What an ass. What a fool. For a minute I thought Don might have assumed Duck was the father of Peggy's baby, but I think he would have realized the timeline was off.

And an explanation for Lyle Evans! I knew that name would come up again. Poor Bert.

Miss B is the Queen of Perversions? Of course she is.

Anna coming in (with a suitcase) was sweet and sad.

In the men's room was written something like, "For a good time call Caroline." My mind's a blank. Who's Caroline?

I didn't catch who wrote this ep, but it was great.

bgirldeb

bgirldeb

Channel Surfer

Awesome episode! I predicted a Simon and Garfunkel song for the credits! Squee!

Libby1975

Libby1975

Couch Potato

There's a lot to think about here, but first impressions:
when Don walked in wearing a hat he looked anachronistic (already!)
I *knew* there was something Blankenship we weren't seeing, but "the Queen of Perversions"? Blimey!
What was the name of the operation Bert reputedly had, and is it a real procedure? And why was the doctor's name familiar?
Joe Namath getting mentioned already!
And how many unexpected visitors to SCDP that night? A mouse, a Duck, and Anna.
When Don told Peggy about his uncle Mac always having a packed suitcase ready and about the flight to Korea, he probably told her more about himself than he told Betty in a decade of marriage.
When Don went to punch Duck for calling Peggy a whore I loved him more than I have in a long time.
We have now seen vomiting in three out of four seasons: Season 1 Roger after Don got him to climb all those stairs, Betty in Season 2 and Don in Season 4. Anyone I've forgotten? Likewise this is the second time we've seen Don try to punch someone out (the other being Jimmy Barrett). Other fights I might have forgotten?
As with so many other recent episodes, the drinking is out of control.

Edited by Libby1975, Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:10 PM.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Duck trying to leave his "calling card"...Cooper revealed to be ball-less...Mrs. Blankenship - Hellcat...Peggy's interaction with Trudy...so much awesomeness...and that Joe Namath commercial would have been brilliant!

vvh3

vvh3

Couch Potato

Peggy will never forget THAT birthday.

How are they going to resolve the alcohol issue? In season one, alcohol was sophisticated and debonair. Now it is degrading. Duck was one ugly MF.

Buh-bye Mark! We didn't like you anyway.

FtMyer7

FtMyer7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

So that's why a picture of Cooper's balls came up when I Goggled Dr. Lyle Evans.

kirinan

kirinan

Couch Potato

Oh. My. God. What an incredible episode. My heart just broke for Don, and for Peggy, and I started crying as soon as Anna's ghost appeared (I choose to believe it was really her spirit, not just a drunken hallucination). And at the end, when he just grasped Peggy's hand and they looked at each other--they're so much alike, and now she's basically taken Anna's place as the person who knows more about him than anyone else. How very appropriate. This was just absolutely the best episode of the series so far, in my opinion.

Oh, and I hate Duck. When he called Peggy a whore, and Don at least tried to hit him in her defense, I wish he would have landed one right on his smarmy jaw. And I'm glad Peggy is free of the wussy fiance.

ETA: Why Jon Hamm hasn't won an Emmy yet is one of the mysteries of the universe to me. He's such an awesome actor.

Edited by kirinan, Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:12 PM.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Elizabeth Moss's performance absolutely blew me away.

She was amazing. Maybe next year, she'll be nominated for Best Actress in place of January Jones.

Jon Hamm was great too. Don was all over the place in this episode, and JH sold every single moment.

domenica marie

domenica marie

Fanatic

Two things: Coop has no balls. And Duck is a disgusting creep. The rest of the episode - perfection.

Scrunt11

Scrunt11

Couch Potato

Wow. Um. I don't even know what to say. That may have just been the single best episode of TV I've seen all year, possibly ever? Yowza. I have chills.

Kestrel

Kestrel

Couch Potato

"Ida [Blankenship] was a hellcat? Bert lost his balls? Roger's writing a book?!!?!" Loved how Don took such delight in the crazy stuff he heard on Roger's tape.

pigeoninthepark

pigeoninthepark

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

Ditto all of the above re: the awesomeness of this episode. JH and EM really are the heart and soul of this phenomenal cast, and never has that been more evident than tonight.

Don, sobbing with (vomit?) stains all over his wrinkled shirt and telling Peggy that Anna was the "only person who really knew him" was just heart-wrenching to watch. I fear for what her death will do to an already downward-spiraling Don. I was hating him all episode right up until that scene, when I suddenly just wanted to give him a hug.

And as much as I hate to admit it, Peggy and her three stooges kind of amuse me.

Pregnant!Trudy please don't ever change.