2-1: "The Return" 2010.09.09 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

517 replies to this topic

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 2:10 PM

It's back. Hooray!

TiVo says:

Elena comes home to a nightmare; Damon realizes Katherine has returned; Tyler receives a surprise visit from his uncle.

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:00 PM

Holy crap!! Not Caroline! Katherine really is a mean bitch!

peridot16

peridot16

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

Can someone please describe the last fifteen minutes - there is a weather alert for my area.

Anyway, I hope Bonnie gets smacked down hard this season. Her smugness is really getting on my nerves.

Camrynella

Camrynella

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

Snapitty Snap Snap Snap!!

Caroline Forbes is a mother-frakking vampire?? Jeremy got the Gilbert ring? Damon rejected, drunk and date rape-y? Bad Ass Take Charge Stefan?

Welcome back my beautiful, amazing show!

More, more, more...

malarky28

malarky28

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:05 PM

Poor Damon always playing second fiddle to his younger brother. No wonder he's always so cranky.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:05 PM

I forgot how much this show gives me heart palpitations! At first I was like, not Not Bonnie! Not Jeremy! Then I was like, Not Caroline!

I hate Katherine! On the other side, Nina's acting was really good showing the differences between the characters. I liked that we got to see all the characters (wait - except Alaric!!! No fair)

Katherine23

Katherine23

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:06 PM

Iíve missed you so much Vampire Diaries, welcome back. This is the craziest show ever, I donít think anyone in the main cast is safe ever. I canít take the shockers on this show, I canít believe Damon would kill Jeremy or turn him into a vampire, but did he know that he wouldn't die? That was insane. And then Katherine going after Caroline.

Damon canít catch a break, man you could see his heart breaking all over again.

The interaction between Katherine and Stefan was awesome, I love that the actress is able to play both Elena and Katherine so convincingly, I can totally tell which one it is when she walks into the room.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:07 PM

"Game on" indeed! SO glad the show's back! Nina Dobrev really nailed the differences between Katherine and Elena. Poor Caroline. I thought she'd wake to a visit from Damon...but this was worse. Tyler and Jeremy have serious chemistry. I like their scenes. Elena telling Damon that it'll always be Stefan right after Katherine saying the same was the last thing he wanted to hear. I think Elena might actually hate him now. Bad move, Damon.

Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

Nooooooo!

BAD WRITERS!

No torpedoing Elena and Damon!

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:08 PM

My mind is officially BLOWN!!! I'm shocked, elated, and can't wait for more ... I haven't seen that kind of risk-taking in a Season 2 premiere in a LONG time.

My heart broke for Damon even after he attempted to kill Jeremy...that's a hard thing for any actor to pull off, but Ian Somerhalder did it. Being told by the two women he ever cared about that it's always been Stefan that they loved, that's just harsh. He was kind of out of his mind when he tried to "turn" Jeremy - I don't think he had enough vampire blood in his body to even turn, but I guess we can't complain that Damon is woobified this season - far from it!

Nina is knocking it out of the park as Katherine ... she has more layers than I would have supposed from the flashbacks. She seems to know how to play Damon like a fiddle, but will she ever break through Stefan's steely resolve. And was she honestly saying she didn't compel him to love her, or was that part of her master manipulation.

I'm sure I'll have more comments to post once I process this ... Williamson & Plec did NOT disappoint!!!!

Edited by Sedruol, Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:09 PM.

Fukaduk

Fukaduk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

I've come to the realization that they like to torture Caroline every episode possible. However my brother pointed out that she did get a moment of happiness in her life. According to him, at the end of suffocation, there's a brief moment of euphoria..... Yay. Damon can go to he'll, and if he kills Caroline instead of raising her as a babyvamp with Stefan...he needs to gtfo.

Edited by Fukaduk, Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:12 PM.

MsOrange21

MsOrange21

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:12 PM

Is it bad that I find Damon so much more compelling than Stefan? Stefan is just so damn boring. At least he was a little better tonight than all of last season. But after tonight, I feel like I'm never going to get my Damon/Elena, since, you know, she hates him and all now. I literally gasped when he broke Jeremy's neck. Was not expecting that.
Still kind of hate Bonnie and her self-righteousness.
Hope Sark makes another visit soon!

photoshopgirl

photoshopgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

Poor Damon always playing second fiddle to his younger brother. No wonder he's always so cranky.

Damon canít catch a break, man you could see his heart breaking all over again.

I know he's a bad guy and he's done so many horrible things but damnit if Ian doesn't sell that total devastation so well I just want to go hug Damon. I really thought Elena might kiss him back for a second. As much as it hurt him, I'm glad she didn't though. I think it would have been OOC at this point. He's right though, she totally does deep down want it.

I liked that we got to see all the characters (wait - except Alaric!!! No fair)

Yeah, WTF!! We needed his badass with the darts! This best be the only episode he's not in!!

More time needed to fully wrap my head around everything that happened! More comments tomorrow after I rewatch and read more comments from you guys!

Lunathick

Lunathick

Fanatic

wait - except Alaric!!! No fair

I didn't even realize until now that he wasn't in tonight's episode. There was so much going on!

Anyway, I hope Bonnie gets smacked down hard this season. Her smugness is really getting on my nerves.

I actually like this Bonnie. She's more sure of herself and more powerful. Katherine would have killed the old Bonnie already. I do understand how some would be annoyed by her new attitude, but I've always liked her so I don't mind.

SheenieB

SheenieB

Couch Potato

I would've been mighty pissed off if Caroline died. She's my favorite out of the girls. Bonnie's guilt is really going to eat at her this season, I suppose. She inadvertently fucked up Caroline, twice now. I wanted Caroline to get in on the vampire action, but not like this. Hopefully she lasts longer than Vickie did.

Davina

Davina

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:16 PM

And we are off to the races.

I liked that we got to see all the characters (wait - except Alaric!!! No fair)

ELLI DC Yeah that and Caroline's choice of recovery TV were about the only thing that wasn't awesome in this. New character Uncle Mayor, not lacking in the attractiveness, might help the Tyler story gain some traction.

Stefan was pretty good, ragging on John. And at least he could tell it was Katherine right away. Trying to play her game was risky, and it showed. Loved the guilt/snark/sympathy/antagonism of Bonnie and Damon, both wanting to heal Caroline. Think Damon was gonna do it anyway per his hug with Liz, own feelings per Caroline.. doing it to look good for Elena is bonus.

Not surprised Jeremy wasn't turned. I really liked Anna, but his story is IMO the weakest link of the show. And the convo with John about his dad's ring, nice set up for the end and yet I was STILL surprised Damon went that far. Doing exactly what Stefan feared, letting Katherine drive the humanity from him.

My heart broke for Damon even after he attempted to kill Jeremy...that's a hard thing for any actor to pull off, but Ian Somerhalder did it. Being told by the two women he ever cared about that it's always been Stefan that they loved, that's just harsh. He was kind of out of his mind when he tried to "turn" Jeremy

I agree Sedruol, it's the cruelest payback for finally getting feelings and growing a heart: having it shattered back to back. Well played and agree that NS is doing a good job in the dual role: just enough nuance so we can tell sometimes but not so much that she can't fool Matt when she's playing Elena.

kalibean

kalibean

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:16 PM

I hate Katherine! On the other side, Nina's acting was really good showing the differences between the characters.

Agreed! I actually found myself thinking, wow, Katherine really got Elena's voice nuances down...she's got the little huff and everything! Huh. Then I remembered that they were actually the same damn actor. Excellent job, Nina!

Well...no shortage of vampires on this show. Hot fuck. Jeremy, Caroline? What what?!? True Blood could take a lesson from this shit. The pacing totally on point, action on point...love it!

malibudream

malibudream

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

Oh my poor tortured Damon! It must've sucked to hear that both the women he loved prefer Stefan. I don't get what they see in Stefan. For what it's worth, I'd pick you Damon!

Katherine is evil.

Good premiere!

DeadIrishWriter

DeadIrishWriter

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

God I love this show. It looks like they're going to keep up the momentum like last season, god bless.

I loved the role reversals:

So Jeremy, you wanna die? Ok, howabout dying TWICE?

So Damon, you want the truth? Ok, howabout being rejected TWICE (and both times in favor of your brother)?

So Bonnie, think you're all that? Ok, meet Katherine. She'll choke a bitch.

Meanwhile, the episode begins with Damon getting all schmoopy and romantic while Stefan is choking and threatening people, only to have them switch back again by the end of the episode. Amazing.

I mean, this show pulls so many twists (Caroline is a vampire now? Holy shit!) that whenever anything momentous happens, I totally believe it. I was sure Jeremy was dead after the neck snap. I can't think of another show that could kill off one of its main characters like that and have me not doubt it for a second.

Meanwhile, it looks like one of Katherine's games will be involving Matt's blue eyes and Caroline's new teeth. And even though this makes me sad for them, I am intrigued.

askew

askew

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:19 PM

Damn, I forget how fast this show moves. Supernatural and other shows could learn something from the past pace of this show.

Is it bad that I find Damon so much more compelling than Stefan?

I am the same way. Normally, I have little patience for the "bad guy" in the show - Logan/Spike, but I adore Damon. I can't decide if I like Elena/Damon or Vamp!Caroline/Damon better.

And I am excited about Caroline becoming a vamp. This way she can be incorporated back into the main storyline. They had better not kill her off.

Camrynella

Camrynella

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:20 PM

[Bonnie] doesn't have any other experiences with vampires. I like the stronger Bonnie. I like that she's risen from her heartbreak to hold on to something real: her ancestry and her Grams' legacy.

I'm still processing this episode. I will watch it a couple more times before the weekend, trust. But I can't help but wonder what Damon's heartbreak will mean for the road trip to Duke with Alaric. I believe Elena when she says she's hates him. Poor Damon. Do you think any amount of "eye brow thing" will help him get back to Elena's friendship?

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:33 PM.
boards on boards

holo37

holo37

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:22 PM

OMG! NOoooooo Damon! But I mean really how much more can the guy take? and though Stefan was indeed a bad-ass tonight, somebody got to love that beautiful tortured vampire!

Can someone please describe the last fifteen minutes - there is a weather alert for my area

Wow that sucks cuz it really has to be seen to be believed. Damon was all set to forgive Katherine and have some hot sex when he stopped to find out if she ever really loved him. She said no it was always Stefan. Oh Damon! Not sure I really believed her though, she's really into mind games and is trying to play them against each other. He got drunk and went to see Elana. Asked her why he should be surprised she would kiss him back,(Good question Damon!)She's lying to herself he knows she feels something ect... then when she esentally tells him the same thing Katherine did..That it was always Stefan Oh Damon! he got grabby. Jer walked in and just because Damon was so hurt he killed him! Luckily he got Uncle John's magic ring so he's OK, but now Elena hates him and Stefan's in the middle and in despair. Damon's back at Vampire house and we see him explode with pain by throwing a glass at the fireplace. Poor Damon!

Meantime Katherine goes to see Caroline and tells her to give the Salvatore brothers a message. Game On! Then smothers her. Because she drank from Damon earlier she now a vampire.

Tyler is pissed and a little drunk manhandles mom and Surfer!Uncle! chills him out. They talk a little about the curse.

Edited by holo37, Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:29 PM.

GrapeEarth

GrapeEarth

Loyal Viewer

I think I officially now worship at the altar of Katherine Pierce. She might be the most fun character on television.

Great premiere. I'm so glad my show is back and I cannot wait to see Vamp!Caroline.

Pixles

Pixles

Fanatic

I would've been mighty pissed off if Caroline died.

She drank Damon's blood though, so she should be ok. I don't know if Katherine knows that or not, her message line made me think she did. Katherine's pretty awesome, love her.

The season premiere was fantastic, not a wasted minute. Fast paced and action packed.

Edited by Pixles, Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:22 PM.

Elli DC

Elli DC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

I actually like this Bonnie. She's more sure of herself and more powerful. Katherine would have killed the old Bonnie already. I do understand how some would be annoyed by her new attitude, but I've always liked her so I don't mind.

Well she can't mind-whammy Katherine, which was a nice fake-out. So she'll have to get back to the books and study! So I guess that does give us one clue as to Katherine's age, she has been around the block. Probably had Emily train her to resist the whammy.

I would've been mighty pissed off if Caroline died. She's my favorite out of the girls. Bonnie's guilt is really going to eat at her this season, I suppose. She inadvertently fucked up Caroline, twice now. I wanted Caroline to get in on the vampire action, but not like this. Hopefully she lasts longer than Vickie did.

Oooh trufax here! Bonnie was the one who pushed for it. But what were Katherine's motivations? Did she know Caroline had vamp blood, hence the Give the boys a message line? Or was she just trying to murder Caroline, and will be mildy surprised when she starts walkin around again?

DeadIrishWriter

DeadIrishWriter

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:26 PM

I don't hate Bonnie; I just hate Smugfaced Bonnie. Thankfully, Smugface doesn't happen often, but when it does, ugh.

I don't think Smugface will be back, though, now that Katherine has taken her down a peg. She's still inexperienced with her powers and with vampires.

Edited by TWoP Barnes, Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:37 PM.

GambitKingdom

GambitKingdom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:28 PM

The best show on television and I am in heaven right now!

deadeye85k

deadeye85k

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:28 PM

Holy crap! I thought it was amusing in the beginning that Jeremy hadn't "poisoned" himself enough, so all Anna's blood did was heal him from that, and that was that with him becoming a vampire. But then when Damon snapped his neck there at the end, I was thinking, woah, I guess they are making him a vamp! I had totally forgotten about the scene just before where he and John were talking about the ring. (Speaking of, the ring can protect you from someone actively trying to kill you, but you can still get killed by accident? That seems kinda dumb.)

But then they blow my mind by having Katharine kill Caroline, who still has Damon's blood in her. Guess she's a vampire now?

Felt sorry for Damon the entire ep. He tries to play it off, but you could tell how hurt he was when Elena kept adamantly stating she would never have kissed him back. And then the double whammy of heart break, first from Katharine, then Elena, both of them claiming it was "always Stefan". Honestly, I think he did mean to "kill" Jeremy, there was no way he'd know about the ring. But I think he couldn't stand for Elena liking him, but not like-liking him, so he would rather have her just hate him.

I don't think they've totally torpedoed Elena/Damon though. Sure, she hates him now, but she seemed to get over the whole thinking he killed her mother thing. Since he didn't kill Jeremy (even though he meant to), I think she'll eventually give him another chance.

Noir Mayhem

Noir Mayhem

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:29 PM

I'm going to have to agree that Bonnie was working on my last nerve the entire episode. Does she not realize that all it takes is one unguarded second for any seasoned vampire like the ones she's constantly provoking to snap her pretty little neck? I love that she's embraced her witchiness, but she shouldn't boast more power than she has. She's no Emily...at least not yet.

And as much as I love Damon and felt for him this entire episode, it's Stefan who presses my fangirl buttons whenever he whips out that badass side of his. I think he's just as compelling as Damon in that he too is walking that fine line between 'good vampire' and 'bad vampire'--the only difference being that Stefan has something to ground him (mostly) on one side.

Also, I commend this show for being able to shock me into forgetting pertinent details, like Jeremy donning the Gilbert ring and Caroline being dosed up on Damon blood. I was about ready to have a miniature heart attack with all that suspense jam-packed into the last act.

All in all, welcome back Vampire Diaries. We missed you.

kjz123

kjz123

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 8:29 PM

oh vampire diaries. I missed you so.

I can't decide if Katherine was lying and really did love Damon, or if she was lying and didn't love either of them. But either way, she's probably lying... And totally awesome.