Blue Bloods

• Please log in to reply

1252 replies to this topic

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 1:47 PM

Premieres Friday, September 24th at 10:00 PM on CBS and stars Tom Selleck and Donnie Wahlberg.

Official Website

Review

As a Donnie fan, I'm hoping that he finally has a show that isn't short-lived but the time slot doesn't give me much hope.

Edited by jw7579, Sep 5, 2010 @ 2:16 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 1:52 PM

And there's already been behind-the-scenes drama with Selleck getting former Numb3rs showrunner Ken Sanzel booted.
This reminds me of a series of TV movies with Charles Bronson called Family of Cops.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 6:24 PM

I'm glad somebody started a thread.

I'm looking forward to it. I like both Tom and Donnie and don't really care about the behind the scenes drama.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 6:27 PM

As a Donnie fan, I'm hoping that he finally has a show that isn't short-lived but the time slot doesn't give me much hope.

THIS.

Long story short, I've gotten to know him over the past year and I adore him to death. He's working really hard on this show to make it work. But I'm still iffy on the time slot and I feel that CBS is really focusing on making Hawaii 5-0 their go to show this season.

MadDogGirl

MadDogGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

Really looking forward to it (albeit with a slight twinge of corny-guilt). I'm not as edgy in my TV tastes as I should be, and I never got into The Wire simply because of the unvarying grey with which every character was painted. Bored me to death as I didn't have more than a modicum of sympathy for any of the characters. This show seems more in line with the Hill Street Blues stance, where the cops are sometimes flawed and troubled - but they are fundamentally the good guys. Nice to see, and anyway they had me at 'Tom Selleck'. Haven't seen him act in a while, but his presence alone ought to do the trick as he more or less exudes 'paterfamilias'. I'm hopeful...

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 3:08 PM

The executive producer on the show, Leonard Goldberg, is a CBS Corp board member. So I wonder how that will factor into its survival. I'm surprised knowing Goldberg's involvement why they chose to put this on Fridays at 10. Then again, there's not a lot of competition there.

I attended the screening at the Paley Center and watched the pilot. It was a little exposition heavy but I think it shows a lot of potential. I actually thought it was much better than Lone Star (which apparently has been crowned the best pilot of this season but isn't getting the ratings response it needs). I think the cast is great, I'm so happy to see Will Estes working again. I also think he was a great choice for the part because the undercover after corrupt cops/blue templar storyline requires a lot of complexity to the part that he can really pull off. And Donnie Wahlberg's great. DW got a HUGE response at the screening, you can tell there were definitely some NKOTB fangirls in the house. To the point that it was kind of sad when the rest of the cast was introduced. I've never been that enamored with Tom Selleck as an actor, so he's not a major factor in whether or not I'll watch something. I think he's fine.

Speaking of the behind the scenes drama, I'm not sure what essentially went down but I think they need to be careful to really straddle the procedural/serial family drama element. They should really take cue from The Good Wife that is able to incorporate both.

twistedsoul7

twistedsoul7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2010 @ 3:58 PM

I am not big on cop dramas, but my friend Christina (aka Dylan) is on the show (plays Sidney, the girlfriend), so I am forced to watch it. She says nothing but great things about it and loves the cast. The promos look good. I hope it is!

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 8:49 PM

Bumping because the show starts in 15 minutes.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

Awesome 1st episode, appointment tv for me, and well my mom and my dad, all three of our tv's were tuned to it.

Prax

Prax

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

Dear God, what a turgid, unleavened lump of obvious and cliched. I should have known: any show that uses that absolutely godawful Sinatra "New York, New York" to try to evoke the NYC atmosphere is going to be a piece of crap.

The big multigenerational Irish Catholic cop family stereotype just doesn't do it for me, and it was way too much trouble to figure out who was whom, or to care when I did.

Liked Len Cariou, though. But Tom Selleck definitely needs to get some more expressions down at the expression store: the dour glare and frozen face get old really quickly, and I got sick of them on "Jesse Stone."

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

I liked this a lot. Not sure why CBS put this on Friday nights, but I have TiVo, so I'll be recording. Hope it sticks around!

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

I knew Selleck was hitting that blonde reporter.
So they're tring to do a Rampart story in the NYPD? Interesting. And interesting that Jamie didn't tell his dad.
In shallow news Bridget Moynihan is a good looking woman, hard to believe Brady actually traded up.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:27 PM

Bridget is starting to look a little old and tired to me. She's got to be in her early 40s, yes?

Eh, might watch next week if there is nothing else of interest on, but this isn't a must-see for me. Kind of disappointed actually.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:30 PM

I started out flipping between this and Outlaw, but after the first commercial break, I stayed with this. Not sure if it means I really like it, or if Outlaw is just that laughably bad, but there you go.

I found a lot of it to be very cliched to be honest, but I still enjoyed it. The acting is the strong point. I just love Tom Selleck. He isn't the most versatile actor out there to say the least, but he just has a presence about him, where I always have to watch him whenever he is on screen and listen to him when he's speaking. And not to sound like a broken record, but he sure as hell doesn't look like he's 65. It's been a while since I've seen Bridget Moynahan, so it was cool seeing her again, and she is still gorgeous (seriously, Tom Brady? What the hell?) Not familar with Will Estes, but he was good as well.

I thought Donnie Wahlberg was good (and I still get chills thinking about his one scene in The Sixth Sense), but to be honest, I'm already annoyed by his character. His character seems like another wise ass, "the ends justify the means", break the rules kind of cop that I've seen several times. I hope they tone it down or throw a twist of some kind, because that will get old with me real fast.

The twist about the mysterious organization in the NYPD is interesting. I'll stick around for now.

MysticalGirl

MysticalGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:36 PM

This show was relying heavily on cliches and the exposition was clunky in spots, but that's the nature of a pilot. The cast is good, I like Tom Selleck, I always like Donnie Wahlberg, and whoever the actor is who plays Jamie is a cutie. And Flex Alexander! I didn't know he was going to be in this. He's still hot.

The secret society twist has the potential to become interesting. Wasn't Donnie's character shown to have one of those rings?

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:36 PM

Oh did I love this..I am a bit nervous because Will Estes and Donnie Wahblerg come from dramas I loved but were cancelled before their time. I am going to write CBS and tell them "Thank you" for putting on good drama on a Friday night.. I couldn't take another reality show.newsmagazine/rerun if my life depended on it.
It is appointment TV for me. It feels like a hybrid of Law and Order(mothership)/American Dreams/Boomtown which works for me.

About the only thing that drove me nuts was I spent 20 minutes yelling at the sister "Argue inevitible discovery due to the narrow scope of the doll distribution"..
Beyond that, I loved it!

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:37 PM

The twist about the mysterious organization in the NYPD is interesting.

The way it sounded, it started out a 'Star Chamber' kind of thing but has devolved into a rogue element in the NYPD, much like Rampart division out in LA.

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:43 PM

I'm surprised I actually liked this. Donnie Wahlberg! and Flex Alexander!

Completely cliched in parts but I didn't even care.

Captain Butts

Captain Butts

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:52 PM

I thought they crammed way too much stuff into the first episode. Solving a current crime, a load of cold cases, police brutality, some undercover op thing. Too much. And what the hell was that doll nonsense?

The first 5 minutes when they managed to get pretty much every family member and side character on screen was so clunky. "Hi sister!" "Hi Dad!" "Hi brother!" "Hello son!" "Hello partner!" "Hello woman I work with. Let a perfectly innocent exchange occur so my girlfriend can inexplicably give you the evils, as we are so obviously wanting to connect our genitals."

"I'm talking about your brother. Your brother Joe. Your brother who is dead now."

"Your brother Joe is dead."

"It is such a shame that Joe, your brother, is now dead."

I'll probably give it another chance and watch next week but I don't have high hopes.

XJill

XJill

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:52 PM

LOVE it. Has there been a family drama/cop show mix on tv before? It really works. I thought the pilot was shot beautifully, I hope they can keep that up. That fishing scene was beautiful. I felt like Selleck knew exactly what had happened re: secret org and was just seeing if he would tell him.

Wasn't Donnie's character shown to have one of those rings?

Yes, in his lockbox/safe at the beginning.

lillipad

lillipad

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 10:59 PM

Yeah, Donnie/Danny had a ring in the safe where he keeps his gun. He's why I tuned in and he definitely brings the sexy. His character is very stereotype, but I'm willing to watch anyway. I wonder if actors are ever disturbed by some of the things a script makes them do? The waterboarding the bad guy was disturbing to watch, though less the water part than the slamming his head in to the toilet bowl.

I like the family aspect and the secret society twist. I like Bridget Moynihan, so I am glad to see her here. It works well as a companion show to CSI:NY for me.

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 11:00 PM

It's one of the more watchable pilots I've seen this week. And anything that gets JJ Pryor back on my TV is worth checking out.

I'll give it another couple of weeks, and then make a final decision, but I think I'm going to like this and be a regular watcher.

jw7579

jw7579

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 11:20 PM

I watched it tonight and liked it enough that I'll definitely tune in again. However, I'm hoping that they don't make the young girl into the stereotypical rebellious, mouthy teen later in the season; if that happens, then it'll become a "DVR then watch later" show for me.

Edited by jw7579, Sep 24, 2010 @ 11:24 PM.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

It's one of the more watchable pilots I've seen this week. And anything that gets JJ Pryor back on my TV is worth checking out.

I agree. I don't think it is the tightest pilot but I'm willing to give the show a shot to develop and find it's groove.

The Evil One

The Evil One

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 12:01 AM

I thought they crammed way too much stuff into the first episode.

I totally understand this sentiment, but at the same time feel like it is in response to network TV these days. They feel this need to overload and provide what is ultimately going to be the narrative story arch of the show from Day One. They need to hook and keep you. The backstory/mystery is one very successful way of doing that.

Plus, I am a shameless fan of anything thing actually filmed in NY rather than LA providing a lame NYC soundstage, FRIENDS.

Edited by The Evil One, Sep 25, 2010 @ 12:02 AM.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 12:18 AM

I liked it too. Does anyone know if the Leonard Goldberg associated with this is the same 1 who used to work with the late Aaron Spelling, back in the day, & produced Starsky & Hutch, etc., with him? Or is it a different guy with the same name? Just asking because I thought the Leonard Goldberg who worked with Aaron Spelling had passed away awhile ago.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 12:43 AM

I really liked it. The hour flew by and that is always a good sign. I liked the cast and the storyline interested me enough to tune in next week.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 12:49 AM

"I'm talking about your brother. Your brother Joe. Your brother who is dead now."

"Your brother Joe is dead."

"It is such a shame that Joe, your brother, is now dead."

It really wasn't needed because the scene where Tom Selleck's character looked at the photo of his son in uniform was enough for me to know that he lost one child on the force. They could have brought it up later either when the lawyer girlfriend said it finally hit her that new on the force boyfriend might be killed like his brother or when the secret agents played the tape of Joe's last message.

I liked it and there is NOTHING at this time to watch, so I am in for as long as it lasts.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 1:01 AM

I liked it too. Does anyone know if the Leonard Goldberg associated with this is the same 1 who used to work with the late Aaron Spelling, back in the day, & produced Starsky & Hutch, etc., with him? Or is it a different guy with the same name? Just asking because I thought the Leonard Goldberg who worked with Aaron Spelling had passed away awhile ago.

Yes, it's the same guy.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 7:00 AM

And Flex Alexander! I didn't know he was going to be in this. He's still hot.

Flex was only in the pilot, I think I read somewhere that they let him go for the regular show